Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

LethalGeek posted:

Thank you!

Also want to point out all of us in dqb2 land accept our frame rates vs the ps4 version just fine. Lot of all this argument depends on the game type, sometimes it isn't a big deal.

And this is from someone who very sensitive to the fraaaaaames eye wise btw. Those who bitch up a storm cause they can see it too need to get over it.

Im on the mine island story now and it definitely chugs more than the first island. its less acceptable than the earlier parts of the game imo. all handheld though for me, and it sounds like the docked mode is worse :shrug:

it's mainly annoying when it just seems like the control inputs aren't keeping up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Len posted:

"This game can be returned for full price if it's bad" - the reason

Also, preordering it made it $40. Buying it today would cost $60.

With the Amazon preorder guarantee I pretty much preorder everything because the earlier you preorder the more likely you are to catch those random one day price drops and get it for cheaper. I’ll then cancel if I don’t want it.

Like I have Pokemon shield for $55 right now. Don’t know if I want it yet, but if I do, $5 cheaper

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i have dqb2 on ps4 and switch (love the game) and it’s fine on either version, it’s a little framey on switch but it doesn’t detract from the game

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If guys can find someone who still has Gamers Club Unlocked, you can then get like, any game for $48 + tax. I think if someone topped out right before it ended, it doesn't expire until the end of 2020.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Obviously, the financially sound move is waiting for a new release since both games are extremely likely to go on sale & can be easily got for below 60 now (maybe not digitally)
Anyways, should I use my second voucher on Bayonetta 2 or Breath of The Wild?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Obviously, the financially sound move is waiting for a new release since both games are extremely likely to go on sale & can be easily got for below 60 now (maybe not digitally)
Anyways, should I use my second voucher on Bayonetta 2 or Breath of The Wild?

Can the voucher get you both Bayonettas? Walmart has the physical copy for $50 which comes with both games

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It’s weird to me how FPS on my PC games is incredibly important but when it comes to Switch I don’t even notice it. Like some people have said already, it’s probably because I play it exclusively in handheld mode.

I bought DQB2 after playing the demo and both seem to run just fine for the kind of game it is.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Wonder if Astral Chain is gonna be 60 frames per second

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched the Digital Foundry video on Bloodstained and was on board with the Switch version until they showed just how bad the input lag was. As soon as I hear that that the input lag is fixed, I'm gonna buy it, but not until then.

I don't give a poo poo about visual quality or FPS so long as the game is actually playable. poo poo, DooM is a blurry mess and framerate hits the teens at times but I still had a blast playing handheld, and I will be buying DooM Eternal for Switch on launch day.

Input lag in a 2.5D Metroidvania, though? That's a hard pass from me.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 21, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I put an unreasonable amount of time into Hard Drivin' on the Genesis, where I am fairly certain you can literally count the frames. I swear it runs at sub-5 fps and is almost impossible to control. Anything above that is a bonus for me.

Same and also Stunts by Bröderbund.

My local bowling alley had a Hard Drivin cabinet and I remember even the arcade version ran pretty bad

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That game owned at the arcade, except for the fact that it cost a buck each time to play...

:negative:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Len posted:

Can the voucher get you both Bayonettas? Walmart has the physical copy for $50 which comes with both games

Nope! For some beyond-me reason, only the physical comes with the 1st one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Nope! For some beyond-me reason, only the physical comes with the 1st one.

As much as I loved Bayonetta and disliked BotW I put a vote in for Zelda.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

Im on the mine island story now and it definitely chugs more than the first island. its less acceptable than the earlier parts of the game imo. all handheld though for me, and it sounds like the docked mode is worse :shrug:

it's mainly annoying when it just seems like the control inputs aren't keeping up
I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but for me the control input issue seems MUCH more pronounced when using joycons instead of a pro controller

I've only played docked

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Beastie posted:

*Throws hand grenade labeled “weapon durability” into thread*

No really I hope we're past that now that there's something new to complain about.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
DQB2 experience on Switch is very much that it would be nicer if it was a bit smoother but the game doesn't really suffer for the occasional hitches that do happen, and so far none of them have affected playability for me in the slightest. Game is responsive, fun, and it's nice to be able to play handheld.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Grey Fox posted:

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but for me the control input issue seems MUCH more pronounced when using joycons instead of a pro controller

I've only played docked

good thinking -- ill futz around with that later today!

I get the sense that nintendo had to push the joy cons to their limits by virtue of their tiny size, hence the range that falls of quickly etc.

its 2019 and it's stupid that every platform's development guidelines are still mystery :tinfoil:

I'm curious about all the various profiles that exist, but especially in terms of the switch

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 21, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

whaley posted:

Wonder if Astral Chain is gonna be 60 frames per second

It’s a Platinum game so undoubtedly.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Sorry to quote an older post,but

Yeah I think the second option would be preferable, and saying "Hey we're holding back this version for a little bit for further optimization" sounds a lot less dumb than "We didn't expect this version to be so popular and are putting all hands on deck to patch the game into the state it should have been at for release to begin with." I'm probably being too optimistic, but I think most Switch gamers would have accepted that.

It's amazing because I don't know how they managed to miss how much of a nearly unparalleled smash hit the Switch was; like did they somehow ignore any information or look at the sales figures and not see several of the zeros? It launched like two years ago, FFS.

And even if they were right about the popularity of the platform it shows a lack of pride in their work to half-rear end it and release it in a knowingly poor state. Would have been better not to release it at all than the laggy blurry mess it came in.

On the other hand I'm okay with the performance dips in Dragon Quest Builders 2 because when it chugs it's because it's actually showing crazy poo poo on screen instead of empty rooms with crappy textures and nothing going on

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 21, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3? It's out now here.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tae posted:

Never play fire emblem, stay away from anime

Sorry I actually love Persona 5

It's just I can't tell if they're making meaningful changes or if it's like, hey Persona is popular right let's put in some school poo poo. The story in Fates was clumsy as gently caress and I don't know if I can trust them to do that stuff well anymore. Lastly FE has always had almost predetermined characters and the difficulty was in matching up your party to have a good composition - in this one it looks like you actually build them up from the ground up entirely, so it's much more RPGish than past installments too.

Basically it could either be really good or a mess so I'll wait to see impressions, in no rush to start it now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Taiko no Tatsujin good? I see it's got a ton of DLC tracks, but what about the base game?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Taiko no Tatsujin good? I see it's got a ton of DLC tracks, but what about the base game?

that game was so drat fun when playing along with some of the official accessory drums on ps2

people would initially get annoyed by the banging sounds but once they showed up to ask wtf they were permanent taiko maestros

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Dragon Quest Builders 2 good and fun. As others have already said, framerate is occasionally noticeable but doesn't significantly affect gameplay. Does like to chug battery though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

SelenicMartian posted:

Hi. I dragged my Taiko drum with my Switch all the way back from Asia when visiting my 97 year old great grandma last month so she could have a chance to play Taiko no Tatsujin. I thought she'd just get a small laugh out of it but we actually had to get her to stop playing it so we could go to dinner and the next day she was asking me in all seriousness how she could go about buying it for herself.

Taiko no Tatsujin owns is what I'm saying and basically it's especially good if you're a great grandma apparently.

(also don't look at my avatar and consider me biased ok!)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
taiko grandma for smash bros

Dec 30, 2008
Is there any reason to think there's going to be a Switch Pro/Switch 2 coming within the next year? I was looking at getting a Switch but held off because there were rumors about an upgraded version going around, and I'm The Sort of Guy Who Cares About Framerates,. It seems like the subject of those rumors was probably just this re-release of the existing Switch but with a better battery? I'm probably not going to use it as a handheld so I'm thinking I'll see if I can get the old version on clearance when the new version comes out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Guest posted:

Is there any reason to think there's going to be a Switch Pro/Switch 2 coming within the next year? I was looking at getting a Switch but held off because there were rumors about an upgraded version going around, and I'm The Sort of Guy Who Cares About Framerates,. It seems like the subject of those rumors was probably just this re-release of the existing Switch but with a better battery? I'm probably not going to use it as a handheld so I'm thinking I'll see if I can get the old version on clearance when the new version comes out.

Rumors and factory leaks suggest a pro model is in development if not production, but the Lite is the only confirmed new device for now. Could a Pro still launch this year in time for Christmas? Maybe. I think it’s 50/50 and might depend on how the Lite sells.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's possible that the Switch revision with the smaller die was the rumored Switch Pro, it's just that Nintendo opted to leverage the revised processor for efficiency instead of power.

That isn't to say that Nintendo couldn't use the same processor for a more powerful New Switch down the line. I have proven to be incorrect with all of my guesses about the Switch so far (I didn't think they'd make a portable-only version, and I didn't think that they would be so forthcoming about the processor revision in the main Switch) but the door is open for Nintendo to make a TV-only version of the Switch that leverages the processor for better graphics performance so that games like BotW don't drop frames anymore, and games that currently run at, say, 900p, could run at full 1080p instead. The performance still won't be anywhere close to the PS4/Xbone, but it'll be closer.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
DQB2 is good fun but do the tutorials ever stop

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

nachos posted:

DQB2 is good fun but do the tutorials ever stop

The campaign is a guided experience for the whole 40+ hours if that's what you're talking about.

The Boat and start of the isle of awakening is it for the real boring poo poo though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

asecondduck posted:

It's possible that the Switch revision with the smaller die was the rumored Switch Pro, it's just that Nintendo opted to leverage the revised processor for efficiency instead of power.

That isn't to say that Nintendo couldn't use the same processor for a more powerful New Switch down the line. I have proven to be incorrect with all of my guesses about the Switch so far (I didn't think they'd make a portable-only version, and I didn't think that they would be so forthcoming about the processor revision in the main Switch) but the door is open for Nintendo to make a TV-only version of the Switch that leverages the processor for better graphics performance so that games like BotW don't drop frames anymore, and games that currently run at, say, 900p, could run at full 1080p instead. The performance still won't be anywhere close to the PS4/Xbone, but it'll be closer.

There are a few problems I see with a pro console, first it could cause some market fragmentation, I think Nintendo want to see how the Lite affects things first before adding a Pro that introduces a third profile beyond handheld and docked mode. Next, introducing a new profile puts a burden on third party developers to update their current catalogue to take advantage of the new profile, Nintendo might not want to rock the boat like that, especially in light of their rocky relationship with third parties in the past and the upcoming next gen consoles making Switch ports even more difficult.

Anyway, I think the efficiency route was the right thing to do with the new SOC/Chipset, the longer battery life really makes the full size switch way more appealing if you are willing to carry around such a large handheld.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We won’t see a Switch Pro until Christmas 2021 at least

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I can't believe how much dragon quest on the switch I want to play this year

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bowmore posted:

We won’t see a Switch Pro until Christmas 2021 at least

The only thing I want is better online stability and SNES games but that’s never going to happen so whatever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Switch Pro will launch alongside BOTW 2 and will be a requirement to fix the performance issues of the first game, which will be worse on Vanilla Switch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There are a few problems I see with a pro console, first it could cause some market fragmentation, I think Nintendo want to see how the Lite affects things first before adding a Pro that introduces a third profile beyond handheld and docked mode. Next, introducing a new profile puts a burden on third party developers to update their current catalogue to take advantage of the new profile, Nintendo might not want to rock the boat like that, especially in light of their rocky relationship with third parties in the past and the upcoming next gen consoles making Switch ports even more difficult.

Anyway, I think the efficiency route was the right thing to do with the new SOC/Chipset, the longer battery life really makes the full size switch way more appealing if you are willing to carry around such a large handheld.

If all the "Switch Pro" does is allow games to run better, then I don't think there will be a fragmentation issue. It's like the base PS4 vs the PS4 Pro--the same games are available for both consoles, but they run/look better on the Pro. Even if you only have a 1080p TV, the Pro will still deliver better framerates for games that support it, and I'm also fairly certain that it will super sample games down from 4k/2k to 1080p so you still get a better quality image on a non-4K display.

As for the onus being on developers to update their games for the Pro, that's a fair point, and one that PS4 Pro has struggled with as well. Ideally if a game already supports dynamic resolution with a 1080p target, the dev won't have to do anything to make their game run at 1080p more consistently with a more powerful Switch. Improving effects/textures will be a task, but again ideally devs will already have those from other console versions. But yeah, support for a Switch Pro would be limited to first party and the really dedicated third party devs that weren't able to get 1080p/60 with the original Switch (I'm specifically thinking Panic Button and DooM here, though their target would probably be 1080p/30).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Actually I've been replaying BotW and they seem to have fixed a lot of the performance issues with all the patches the game has gotten since release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Schneider Heim posted:

How is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3? It's out now here.

It’s loving awesome. It’s definitely flawed and has a rocky learning curve, but as a fan of the series, to me it’s a worthy follow-up and lives up to the hype. You can definitely feel the Team Ninja & Diablo 3 influence, too.