Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Gen 5 experimented where Ash had ten Pokémon in rotation while traveling through Unova. Some like the starters, Krookodile, Scraggy and Leavanny were developed enough, but Unfezant, Boldore and especially Palpitoad were underdeveloped and barely remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I think about Ash's Palpitoad daily

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zuzie posted:

Gen 5 experimented where Ash had ten Pokémon in rotation while traveling through Unova. Some like the starters, Krookodile, Scraggy and Leavanny were developed enough, but Unfezant, Boldore and especially Palpitoad were underdeveloped and barely remembered.

Then post league he sends infezant (or boldore?) To oak in favor of Charizard.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

SirSamVimes posted:

I've got to say, while reusable TMs are objectively an improvement I kind of miss having to actually choose which Pokemon gets a move. It makes it feel less special when you can dump Shadow Ball and Psychic on all your special attackers and Earthquake on all your physical attackers, for example.

Maybe in my next game playthrough I'll give myself a personal restriction that each TM move can only be on one team member at a time. Seems like a reasonable middle ground that keeps the quality of life while also creating some actual choice.

I always believed that earthquake should be reserved only for pokemon that are either ground or rock or large enough that you can believe they can do that. Same with moves like hyper beam and psychic. Nowadays they give it out like candy.

Luckily I stopped playing competitive in gen 4, somehow it got worse in competitive since then.

(I used a trick room and explosion team)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Avalerion posted:

Why would team rocket in the anime be limited to what's available in the games.

Sure is going to be weird when the anime uses Pokémon that don't appear in Sword/Shield.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Like Pikachu and Meowth in the BW anime you mean.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

less laughter posted:

Like Pikachu and Meowth in the BW anime you mean.

You could still import them into BW even if they aren't native, like Ash and Team Rocket did.

In SwSh Team Rocket will have to smuggle their pokemon pass customs.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
non-Galar native mons will blink out of existence the moment they cross the border :rip:

less laughter fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 20, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

less laughter posted:

non-Galar native mons will blink out of existence the moment they cross the border :rip:

No, they'll just go to a detention center called Home.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Skeleton King posted:

I always believed that earthquake should be reserved only for pokemon that are either ground or rock or large enough that you can believe they can do that. Same with moves like hyper beam and psychic. Nowadays they give it out like candy.

Luckily I stopped playing competitive in gen 4, somehow it got worse in competitive since then.

(I used a trick room and explosion team)

Hyper Beam has always been passed around to everything. It’s gimmick was originally ‘great big super move that every final form can learn.’

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gruckles posted:

You could still import them into BW even if they aren't native, like Ash and Team Rocket did.

In SwSh Team Rocket will have to smuggle their pokemon pass customs.

all except Mareanie are confirmed for SwSh already.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

all except Mareanie are confirmed for SwSh already.

Mareanie's in as well since Toxapex makes an appearance in the newest trailer/commerical for the game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Then there's really nothing stopping them from bringing them over. They just have to want to.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Then there's really nothing stopping them from bringing them over. They just have to want to.

There is one force that can stop them from bringing their old monsters to the new region: The need to show off the newest merch, in this case, the newest Pokémon. Team Rocket is now much like Ash in that they receive a reset button whenever both groups end up going to a new region. The only Pokémon exempt from this rule is Pikachu, Meowth and Wobbuffet. Team Rocket's Pokémon teams are used to show off Pokémon that are somewhat cute, but too "unheroic" or even "creepy" to make it onto a protagonist's team.

That being said, since both Mimikyu and Mareanie are both so popular, I do hope I'm actually wrong and they'll expand their teams so they can both Mimikyu and Mareanie and whatever Gen 8 gives them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pokemon anime staff: this season, without legendaries or starters, we got 56 pokemon to last us 3 years.... Team Rocket has to share a yamper with this regions brock

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zuzie posted:

A significant chunk of Pokemon probably don't even have blood to begin with, and if they do, they probably won't be like human's blood.

Magneton's Bloodtype: Ferric Chloride.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo Team Rocket still has their Wobbuffet with them? That’s crazy for them to keep such a bad pokemon for so long!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Wobbuffet was Uber in gens III and IV, punk.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Wobbuffet has been Team Rocket’s longest running Pokemon for some reason (unless you want to count Meowth that is).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Wobbuffet is rad because you either have memories of it being the strongest pokemon of all time in competitive or you can't understand how its good because your Charizard has fire punch, flame thrower, leer and belly drum and there is basically nothing inbetween.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Wobbuffet's still there because of its running gag... Which only works in Japanese and possibly French due to how it's name was localized.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Wobbuffet's still there because of its running gag... Which only works in Japanese and possibly French due to how it's name was localized.

What does its Japanese name mean?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

What does its Japanese name mean?

It's supposed to sound like "That's the way it is", hence why it pops up whenever Team Rocket recite their motto. It's a reference to a Japanese comedian (who also used to do that salute hand gesture that Wobbuffet does). I can guess it does that since its whole gimmick revolves around sending stuff back at the opponent in battle.

Wynaut sounds a bit like "Why Not?", so that part of the family's pun was kept in localization.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

It's supposed to sound like "That's the way it is", hence why it pops up whenever Team Rocket recite their motto. It's a reference to a Japanese comedian (who also used to do that salute hand gesture that Wobbuffet does). I can guess it does that since its whole gimmick revolves around sending stuff back at the opponent in battle.

Wynaut sounds a bit like "Why Not?", so that part of the family's pun was kept in localization.

It’s a reference to a famous Japanese comedian, whose schtick is essentially copied in Wobuffet’s name and pose. It’s just that it doesn’t translate at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbf how many Japanese kids are gonna know some comedian from the 90's themselves

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think the reference to the comedian is just a bonus for the oldies, the name joke is timeless.

I also never understood what they were going for with Wobuffet's name but I looked it up and it turns out they were going for "wobble" plus "buffet?" And they did not hit that mark.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think the reference to the comedian is just a bonus for the oldies, the name joke is timeless.

I also never understood what they were going for with Wobuffet's name but I looked it up and it turns out they were going for "wobble" plus "buffet?" And they did not hit that mark.

To be fair, is there another way to localize the Japanese name you can think of that would keep the pun intact?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what part doesn’t make sense

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

To be fair, is there another way to localize the Japanese name you can think of that would keep the pun intact?

Something like Yesitis, I guess? Keeping the "pun" intact is easy; the hard part is not sounding too lame.

By the way, I like how the English closed captioning transcribes Poke-speak based on tone, and almost everything Wobuffet says is "[Affirmative]."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 21, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I also never understood what they were going for with Wobuffet's name

"gee, I wonder what this thing that wobbles when it gets buffeted's name could ever mean :iiam: "

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Silver2195 posted:

Something like Yesitis, I guess? Keeping the "pun" intact is easy; the hard part is not sounding too lame.

By the way, I like how the English closed captioning transcribes Poke-speak based on tone, and almost everything Wobuffet says is "[Affirmative]."

I've always liked "Soitgoes" as an alternative English name for Wobuffet.

That's the way it is.

So it goes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best is the sandcastle that's name means like "that's a sandcastle, yeah??"

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
"that's a sandcastle, yeah?" and "castle death sand" because Japanese is like 90% puns

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fushigidane.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a point in the anime where a Wynaut and Jessie's Wobbuffet have a conversation and it's basically the punchline to both their names.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

So the rest of the battles in the top 16 for the Manalo Conference aired in the anime and...

James and Mareanie beats Jessie (who used Wobbuffet). Sophocles beats Mina, Kiawe beats Acerola, and Gladion beats Lillie.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And then they have the gall to not pair Lana against Kiawe so he can FINALLY get one over on her for a change

So many opportunities tossed straight out the window with the bathwater...

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

So the rest of the battles in the top 16 for the Manalo Conference aired in the anime and...

James and Mareanie beats Jessie (who used Wobbuffet). Sophocles beats Mina, Kiawe beats Acerola, and Gladion beats Lillie.

I'm noticing a pattern right off the bat here I don't like....

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

So many opportunities tossed straight out the window with the bathwater...
Par the course for Pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man for a member of the game elite four Acerola was nerfed.