Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

balancedbias posted:

Pro Rata rule screws this up, depending on how much is in there. It basically means you'll owe the taxes on the portion of gains/dividends that comes from the rollover IRA when you convert to Roth. You can't separate out the yearly contribution separately; it all gets counted together.

Bummer. So I understand it correctly, you can't have any kind of IRA already in place, unless it's a current Roth IRA, correct? For instance, I have a Vanguard Roth IRA that I've only contributed post-tax Roth IRA money to. Would I be ok to do a backdoor Roth?

Is there anyway around my wife's rollover IRA for her to backdoor as well? She has a current 403b/401a (I think - non-profit hospital) with Fidelity and her rollover IRA is with Vanguard. Could she roll her Vanguard rollover IRA into her Fidelity 403b/401a, close the Vanguard rollover IRA account, then do a backdoor Roth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

I have a Vanguard Roth IRA that I've only contributed post-tax Roth IRA money to. Would I be ok to do a backdoor Roth?

Yup

Cacafuego posted:

Could she roll her Vanguard rollover IRA into her Fidelity 403b/401a, close the Vanguard rollover IRA account, then do a backdoor Roth?

Yup

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ok, now how does this work:

She worked for company A for about 5 years, then moved to company B. She rolled over her A401k to B401k. When she left B and went to company C, she rolled that 401k into a rollover IRA with Merrill Lynch. She then made post-tax contributions to this rollover IRA account. So her rollover IRA (now with Vanguard) has a mixture of pre-tax (from the 401ks) and post-tax (post-tax contributions) dollars in it. Can this still be rolled over into her current 403b/401a account? How will they tell what are pre vs what are post-tax dollars?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cacafuego posted:

Ok, now how does this work:

She worked for company A for about 5 years, then moved to company B. She rolled over her A401k to B401k. When she left B and went to company C, she rolled that 401k into a rollover IRA with Merrill Lynch. She then made post-tax contributions to this rollover IRA account. So her rollover IRA (now with Vanguard) has a mixture of pre-tax (from the 401ks) and post-tax (post-tax contributions) dollars in it. Can this still be rolled over into her current 403b/401a account? How will they tell what are pre vs what are post-tax dollars?
What do you mean by "then made post-tax contributions to this rollover IRA account"? By post-tax, do you mean non-deductible contributions to the trad-IRA?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

spf3million posted:

What do you mean by "then made post-tax contributions to this rollover IRA account"? By post-tax, do you mean non-deductible contributions to the trad-IRA?

I think so? I'll try to explain as well as I can, but this was done prior to us getting together, so I'm passing on information that she's told me. I'm also not well versed on the proper lingo, so I may be getting stuff wrong. I'm trying to figure it all out though! As far as I know there are 2 sources of contributions to her current Vanguard rollover IRA:
1. Previous 401ks (obviously pre-tax)
2. Post-tax contributions that we've made over the past few years

If I read the information correctly, if the funds in the rollover IRA were only from rolling over previous 401ks, you'd be able to roll it into a current 401k/403b/401a if the current vendor (Fidelity) would allow it. But since her rollover IRA contains pre-tax and post-tax dollars, I don't know if that would be possible. From what I'm reading online (Motley Fool), it says you didn't used to be allowed to do that, but now you can. Is that correct?

Looking at Fidelity's Transfer/Rollover/Exchange Form Instructions says A Rollover IRA. This is a rollover transaction. After-tax value may not be rolled from an IRA..

Is there a way to separate pre-tax and after-tax contributions in the current rollover IRA? Why do they allow you to mix pre-tax and after-tax dollars in these things?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

I think so? I'll try to explain as well as I can, but this was done prior to us getting together, so I'm passing on information that she's told me. I'm also not well versed on the proper lingo, so I may be getting stuff wrong. I'm trying to figure it all out though! As far as I know there are 2 sources of contributions to her current Vanguard rollover IRA:
1. Previous 401ks (obviously pre-tax)
2. Post-tax contributions that we've made over the past few years

If I read the information correctly, if the funds in the rollover IRA were only from rolling over previous 401ks, you'd be able to roll it into a current 401k/403b/401a if the current vendor (Fidelity) would allow it. But since her rollover IRA contains pre-tax and post-tax dollars, I don't know if that would be possible. From what I'm reading online (Motley Fool), it says you didn't used to be allowed to do that, but now you can. Is that correct?

Looking at Fidelity's Transfer/Rollover/Exchange Form Instructions says A Rollover IRA. This is a rollover transaction. After-tax value may not be rolled from an IRA..

Is there a way to separate pre-tax and after-tax contributions in the current rollover IRA? Why do they allow you to mix pre-tax and after-tax dollars in these things?

There are a lot of overly complicated nuanced terms that are very important here.

1. Post-Tax Dollars - But were you able to take them as a deduction on your tax return for the IRA year you deposited the money? If so, it's pre-tax contributions like any other. Roll it in.
2. After-Tax Dollars / "Non-Deductible Traditional IRA Contributions" - You dumped money into a Traditional IRA but were beyond the phaseout for deducting it from your taxes on the IRA tax year you deposited them against.

#2 is a problem. I'm wondering what would happen if I just dumped my comingled traditional IRA w/ non-deductible contributions into my 401k and didn't tell anyone. In theory the IRS shouldn't care because it's getting double taxed. Does anyone know how to get the money separated out? I have definitely lost some of my basis accounting over the years, and tax transcripts don't show them despite having a line for them.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

There are a lot of overly complicated nuanced terms that are very important here.

1. Post-Tax Dollars - But were you able to take them as a deduction on your tax return for the IRA year you deposited the money? If so, it's pre-tax contributions like any other. Roll it in.
2. After-Tax Dollars / "Non-Deductible Traditional IRA Contributions" - You dumped money into a Traditional IRA but were beyond the phaseout for deducting it from your taxes on the IRA tax year you deposited them against.

#2 is a problem. I'm wondering what would happen if I just dumped my comingled traditional IRA w/ non-deductible contributions into my 401k and didn't tell anyone. In theory the IRS shouldn't care because it's getting double taxed. Does anyone know how to get the money separated out? I have definitely lost some of my basis accounting over the years, and tax transcripts don't show them despite having a line for them.

Hmm, let me see if I can clear this up:
1. I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. We did taxes through Turbotax and just plugged things in when it prompted us to. It spit out a 1040 - where would I look on here to see? 4a "IRAs, pensions, and annuities" is blank.

2. I believe this would be what we did. Our MAGI was >$121k for 2018, so from what I'm reading it was above the limit for deductible contributions.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Do a Backdoor Roth conversion for the amount of the nondeductible contributions (basis). Then roll the remainder into her 401(k). Make sure the latter is done by the end of the year, so that your TIRA balance is zero on 12/31.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Adhemar posted:

Do a Backdoor Roth conversion for the amount of the nondeductible contributions (basis). Then roll the remainder into her 401(k). Make sure the latter is done by the end of the year, so that your TIRA balance is zero on 12/31.

Ok, that makes sense to me and can give that a try. Is there anyway to figure out how much the nondeductible contributions were? What about separating gains?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have some single stock positions I’ve had for many years with large long term capital gains. My long term goal is to have that money in mutual funds and minimize capital gains. Assume $50k in gains and 15% tax rate.

Plans I can think of:

* Sell it all tomorrow, pay the $7500 out of the proceeds and move on.
* Sell some (5%) each month and spread the tax burden over a few years, maybe cancel out with some capital losses when the market is down.
* Some fancy trick to defer the taxes until we are in the 0% tax bracket (in retirement).

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

smackfu posted:

I have some single stock positions I’ve had for many years with large long term capital gains. My long term goal is to have that money in mutual funds and minimize capital gains. Assume $50k in gains and 15% tax rate.

Plans I can think of:

* Sell some (5%) each month and spread the tax burden over a few years, maybe cancel out with some capital losses when the market is down.
* Some fancy trick to defer the taxes until we are in the 0% tax bracket (in retirement).

Are you doing that to reduce the risk involved in being concentrated in a single stock? The most tax-advantageous approach would probably be 2. A large income boost could disqualify you from tax breaks and unless you already have capital gains losses rolled forward it doesn't give you the option to reduce your taxes. Option 1 is a good idea if you're more worried about risk than about the tax burden. I don't think 3 is really an option unfortunately.

Don't forget to research and potentially pay estimated taxes as you sell, btw. The penalties for underpayment aren't huge but they aren't nothing.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You could donate it to a charity without paying taxes. This is in a regular taxable account, yes?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

Plans I can think of:

Why are you worried about paying long term cap gains? Just pay the piper unless you have something you can tax loss harvest. Unless you know that next year you're going to have no income all year or something 15% is an amazing rate to pay.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Adhemar posted:

If he does this he'll be subject to the pro-rata rule since there are additional trad-IRA funds aside from the non-deductible contributions.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Adhemar posted:

Why does the TIRA balance have to be zero on 12/31? I have a few bucks in our traditional IRAs from doing backdoor roths for the past few years.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Why are you worried about paying long term cap gains? Just pay the piper unless you have something you can tax loss harvest. Unless you know that next year you're going to have no income all year or something 15% is an amazing rate to pay.

Mainly fear of messing up our otherwise fairly regular taxes. I think we are already above most of the income limits though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

Mainly fear of messing up our otherwise fairly regular taxes. I think we are already above most of the income limits though.

Cap gains are easy if you sell everything in one huge lot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Cap gains are easy if you sell everything in one huge lot.

That reminds me -- I'm gonna be selling off some employee shares soon as a side-effect of leaving my current job. Is it possible to "convert" those shares into a different investment and delay paying taxes? Or are the capital gains taxes mandatory on every single sale?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me -- I'm gonna be selling off some employee shares soon as a side-effect of leaving my current job. Is it possible to "convert" those shares into a different investment and delay paying taxes? Or are the capital gains taxes mandatory on every single sale?

In general, capital gains taxes are not per sale. You add up all your gains and losses for the year and pay tax on the net.

Like most tax stuff, there are ways around it if your amount is large enough to warrant going through the trouble. One of the new instruments to defer capital gains in taxable accounts is Opportunity Zones.

Here's the IRS FAQ https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/opportunity-zones-frequently-asked-questions

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to fund a Roth IRA with in-kind contributions out of a taxable brokerage account? Not sure I'll have enough cash to contribute the full amount next year without dipping into savings, but I do have VTSAX in my brokerage that I could use.

Or would I have to sell off some of my shares and and contribute the settled cash?

Or would it be better to just save up during the year (2020) and contribute normally?

Both IRA and Brokerage are on Vanguard, FYI.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is it possible to fund a Roth IRA with in-kind contributions out of a taxable brokerage account? Not sure I'll have enough cash to contribute the full amount next year without dipping into savings, but I do have VTSAX in my brokerage that I could use.

Or would I have to sell off some of my shares and and contribute the settled cash?

Or would it be better to just save up during the year (2020) and contribute normally?

Both IRA and Brokerage are on Vanguard, FYI.
You have to sell then contribute settled cash.

Whether you do it by selling shares or just wait to save up is really up to you. I'd personally just try to save more to avoid capital gains taxes on the taxable account but if you wouldn't be able to save enough extra in order to max out your IRA contribution then I'd sell some taxable (plus pay the cap gains tax) so you can max out the tax-free contribution bucket.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I hadn't considered the cap gains tax.

I think I'll most likely try and save up during 2020 and if it looks like I'm not gonna make it then sell off whichever brokerage lot has gained the least (or is hopefully in the red).

Thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I hadn't considered the cap gains tax.

I think I'll most likely try and save up during 2020 and if it looks like I'm not gonna make it then sell off whichever brokerage lot has gained the least (or is hopefully in the red).

Thanks!

I wouldn't miss out on the 2019 limit just to avoid tax on $6k. It's the last time you would ever pay tax on that money.

Overall I don't think it's worth avoiding the 15% ltcg tax if you have a better use for the money.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

I wouldn't miss out on the 2019 limit just to avoid tax on $6k. It's the last time you would ever pay tax on that money.

Overall I don't think it's worth avoiding the 15% ltcg tax if you have a better use for the money.

Yeah, I meant to say save up before the april 2020 cutoff.

My wife and I have sunk quite a bit of money into her business and it's started turning a profit. If the holidays are especially good then we should have more than enough to cover the contributions, but for planning purposes I'm working on the assumption that we won't so I want a Plan B lined up. Either way I should know before tax season.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, I meant to say save up before the april 2020 cutoff.

Perfect.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Ok, that makes sense to me and can give that a try. Is there anyway to figure out how much the nondeductible contributions were? What about separating gains?

You should have a record of the contributions you made and did not deduct. That’s the amount you want to convert. The gains have not been taxed and should be left in the TIRA and then rolled into the 401k along with any other pretax money you had in there.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

spf3million posted:

If he does this he'll be subject to the pro-rata rule since there are additional trad-IRA funds aside from the non-deductible contributions.

No, there won’t be, if he rolled them into the 401k before 12/31. That’s why hitting that deadline is so important.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Why does the TIRA balance have to be zero on 12/31? I have a few bucks in our traditional IRAs from doing backdoor roths for the past few years.

See above. A few dollars is probably fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Anarkii posted:

In general, capital gains taxes are not per sale. You add up all your gains and losses for the year and pay tax on the net.

Like most tax stuff, there are ways around it if your amount is large enough to warrant going through the trouble. One of the new instruments to defer capital gains in taxable accounts is Opportunity Zones.

Here's the IRS FAQ https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/opportunity-zones-frequently-asked-questions

Thanks. I'd just be transferring it all to an index fund, so it sounds like I shouldn't need to worry about it.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
What do you do with the returns of your bonds? Do you automatically have them reinvested or do you stash them away and then use those to re-balance your portfolio by buying what you need more of? The latter is what my FA recommended, although I've also been given the exact opposite advice.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

What do you do with the returns of your bonds? Do you automatically have them reinvested or do you stash them away and then use those to re-balance your portfolio by buying what you need more of? The latter is what my FA recommended, although I've also been given the exact opposite advice.

I always transfer to bank account (for both stocks and bonds) to make rebalancing easier. It really depends on how well you'll stick to making regular purchases though, and whether you want to make that additional effort.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Eldred posted:

I always transfer to bank account (for both stocks and bonds) to make rebalancing easier. It really depends on how well you'll stick to making regular purchases though, and whether you want to make that additional effort.

How often do you purchase from that account? Monthly, assuming enough has accumulated?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

How often do you purchase from that account? Monthly, assuming enough has accumulated?

Yeah, I have a monthly calendar reminder to buy. Some people do scheduled transactions, but my purchases are a little irregular in amount.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Does anybody have strong opinions on the kind of bond funds to go with? I could keep it super simple and park everything in a total bond fund like BND, but I've had FAs suggest a combination of Intermediate Corporate + Short Term Corporate instead, which allegedly has better returns and is still very safe. Does that have any validity?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vanguard recommends total bond and Jack Bogle recommends US treasuries. Maybe split the difference?

quote:

Because of this, says John C. Bogle, founder of the Vanguard Group, total bond indexes “are deeply flawed — and that’s coming from an indexer.” He adds that individual investors should keep only about one-third of their bond stake in Treasuries and government debt, reflecting the market’s mix based on private investors such as pension and mutual funds.

Investors might consider keeping half their money in a total bond market fund, he said, while shifting the other half to an intermediate corporate bond fund. By doing so, investors would end up with an overall strategy that’s about two-thirds in corporate debt and one-third in government securities.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What does it mean to automatically reinvest capital gains in the context of funds / ETFs as an option in Vanguard? I get reinvesting dividends, but capital gains?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

DreadCthulhu posted:

What does it mean to automatically reinvest capital gains in the context of funds / ETFs as an option in Vanguard? I get reinvesting dividends, but capital gains?
When a mutual fund cashes out an investment position, the management cannot reinvest the profits immediately but must distribute them back to the investors. Therefore capital gains are an additional cash stream along with income that you have the option to reinvest or not.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 24, 2019

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

When a mutual fund cashes out an investment position, the management cannot reinvest the profits immediately but must distribute them back to the investors. Therefore capital gains are an additional cash stream along with income that you have the option to reinvest or not.

You don't get a distribution for every position sold. Most mutual funds distribute capital gains only once a year in December.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

spf3million posted:

This was the kind of info I’m looking for: The Tax Consequences of a "Backdoor" Roth IRA

I think it’s saying that we’d have to pay taxes on the pre-tax funds that were in the rollover IRA, is that correct? How do we figure out the percentages for what is pre-tax $ and what is after-tax $? Can a CPA figure this out, or will vanguard know what the differences are? Are the taxes auto-withdrawn?

Lotsa confusing questions that I’m unable to figure out myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Anarkii posted:

You don't get a distribution for every position sold. Most mutual funds distribute capital gains only once a year in December.
The funds don’t have to distribute profits the same day, but they do have to distribute and not reinvest, because the fund investors are the ones who gets taxed on those profits.