Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CapnAndy posted:

Immortal Hulk was robbed and Tom King simultaneously deserved it for Mister Miracle and should have been disqualified for Heroes in Crisis.

Holy gently caress, I knew Giant Days won an Eisner, but it beat out Immortal Hulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Holy gently caress, I knew Giant Days won an Eisner, but it beat out Immortal Hulk?

The Eisners are a juried prize which means that the make up of that jury can shift the outcome quite a bit. It also tends to result in a jury that tries to diversify the awards a bit rather than just give them out to superhero books, even ones that stretch the genre.

Immortal Hulk is excellent, but it's still going so it'll get another swing. And it'll get more attention from the jury when Ewing's run is finished so when that happens it's likely to take multiple awards.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Random Stranger posted:

The Eisners are a juried prize which means that the make up of that jury can shift the outcome quite a bit. It also tends to result in a jury that tries to diversify the awards a bit rather than just give them out to superhero books, even ones that stretch the genre.

Immortal Hulk is excellent, but it's still going so it'll get another swing. And it'll get more attention from the jury when Ewing's run is finished so when that happens it's likely to take multiple awards.

Huh, I wonder if the fact Giant Days is coming up on its ending helped nudge it over the line, then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh, I wonder if the fact Giant Days is coming up on its ending helped nudge it over the line, then.

Possibly. I haven't read the book at all so I can't comment on what appeal it might have in this situation, too. But about ten years ago I did a deep dive into a bunch of nerd media awards (Hugos, Nebulas, World Fantasy Award, and Eisners) so I got a feel for the kinds of quirks that the different selection methods result in. None of them are really great at selecting the "best" (a problem that extends to pretty much any yearly award); it often takes about a decade of retrospection before people can single out what the winner should have been.

The Eisners are strongly influenced by industry politics; the jury doesn't consist of some remote monks on a mountain top who have a pull list of everything that comes out that week delivered to them by pack mules. They're a handful of people who work in comics and so what is happening in the comics industry affects what they choose to give prizes to. And this often results in some real odd choices (again, not saying Giant Days is one of those).

Basically, don't get too hung up on what wins and loses. The best way to take the Eisners is as a recommended reading list. It's six knowledgeable people saying, "Hey, this was really good and you should check it out." I probably will read Giant Days because it won the award along with Puerto Rico Strong and Umami. I also didn't know that Junji Ito did an adaptation of Frankenstein so I'm looking forward to reading that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Giant Days is good and the fact it’s ending is certainly a factor in people voting for it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This comes up a lot, so as an annual reminder:

The Eisner list of nominees is selected by a blue ribbon committee of judges, which usually tries to include people from a bunch of different professions surrounding comics.

This year the judges were
Chris Arrant, Newsarama Editor (a journalist/critic)
Jared Gardner (a university professor who teaches comics)
Traci Glass (a librarian specializing in comics)
Jenn Haines (a comic shop owner)
Steven Howearth (an active fan who has blogged/volunteered at SDCC/worked around comics since the 1980s)
Jimmie Robinson (a comic book pro)

The judges are tasked with reading all of the books submitted for nominations, and then agreeing on a list of nominees. As a result, the Eisner nominees are usually not that full of head scratchers, though every once in awhile this cross-section of people love something unusual or snub something everyone is expected to be nominated.

The screwiness of the Eisner wins comes from the voting for the winners off of the nominee list. It's open to anyone who is a "comic book professional" which includes any comics creators, editors, "comics educators", "comics librarians" and comic shop employees. That's a pretty broad brush and it's also opt-in, and there's no expectation that literally everyone in these groups is going to track down and read every nominee, which is how you get things like Todd Klein winning eighty million lettering awards, because hey, he's that letterer who is really good and always wins.

It also means that grassroots or coordinated pushes for something like "Giant Days is ending, let's give it an Eisner!" are things that can actually happen, though I have no idea if it did.

The Harveys are the opposite, where anyone can submit things for nomination and the act of submitting it for nomination is a 'vote' for nomination, which is how bizarre poo poo like NASCAR Heroes gets on the Harvey nominee list, the publishers stuffed the ballot. The actual winners are selected from the nominee list by a blue ribbon panel of judges, which smooths out the books that actually win Harveys to a more generally respected/canonized list, but in both cases there's a weird bottleneck; people can't vote for something to win an Eisner if the judges didn't like it, and the judges can't select something to win a Harvey if it got spammed off of the ballot by Gladstone or Valiant or whomever stuffing the ballots.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Giant Days is excellent and unless you're totally allergic to fairly grounded sitcom-y stuff you should all check it out.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Best Short Story
Winner: “The Talk of the Saints,” by Tom King and Jason Fabok, in Swamp Thing Winter Special (DC)

This story is forty pages long. It's part of an 80-page giant and I guess the rules say that anything that doesn't take up an entire issue can be called short, but this seems a bit much. They just really like Tom King I guess. I'm just disappointed that "Ghastlygun Tinies" didn't get it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm sad that after issue #100 that Tom Waltz is stepping down as writer of the awesome TMNT comics. But it eases the pain that Sophie Campbell is taking over as both writer and artist. Also the design of Jennika, the new Turtle is sick.

https://twitter.com/mooncalfe1/status/1148755535585525760

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Sophie Campbell does the Turtles and non-human characters great, but the way she has all humans have huge puffy fishlips always bugs me. But this is mainly about Ninja Turtles, and that part she kicks rear end at.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/reiley/status/1153866053342171136

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Like what?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tumblr for sure

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Twitter and google image search's latest redesigns.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of... how are you supposed to use GIS on a desktop now?
Nothing happens when you left click on a thumbnail. Right clicking the thumbnail and opening in new tab gives you an image, but it's not the source image...
Is this all to stop people hotlinking?

edit: Ah. It was from Gettyimages suing their asses.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 24, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there's a chrome extension, probably one for firefox too, that restores the "View Image" button on GIS.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm not 100% sure how old the X-Men are supposed to be, but I just realized that those X-Men from the past probably were there for Britney Spears' first couple releases, and then got brought to the future so they missed her breakdown and relationship with Ashton Kutcher and everybody in the media being really lovely to her. From their perspective, she went from teen breakout hit to respected cultural institution, with nothing in between.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Britney Spears is a respected cultural institution?

I don't think I'm part of that culture.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Britney Spears was in a relationship with Ashton Kutcher?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

lifg posted:

Britney Spears was in a relationship with Ashton Kutcher?

I guess she wasn't/ Huh

There's a non zero chance that I believed that solely because of that flamin hot cheetos gif

But my point still stands

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I like the idea of one of those X-Men going on a whole time-traveling adventure just to understand a mug that says, "If Britney can survive 2007 you can survive today."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Britney Spears is a respected cultural institution?

I don't think I'm part of that culture.

once people got past the 00s media blitz of how awful she was, we came to realize her dad was trying to own her and her career, she was having an understandable breakdown over being a sex idol barely out of her teens, and now that shes out she happily shares her sons anime artwork on insta and generally seems to enjoy life, shes a had a good bounceback

i have no idea what this has to do with xmen tho

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

guy goodbody just wanted an excuse to talk about britney spears presumably so he could segue that into talking about anime

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe they would be more blown away by the fact that Britney's ex, Justin Timberlake, has had a bigger and longer career than Britney.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alaois posted:

guy goodbody just wanted an excuse to talk about britney spears presumably so he could segue that into talking about anime

I'm just wondering if they've gotten any good comedy out of the time displaced X-Men. Like, Beast being all "They made a Scream 3?!" or Jean Grey discovering that her HitClips collection is obsolete. Or an exact remake of this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

To the best of my knowledge there is no connection between Britney Spears and anime.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm just wondering if they've gotten any good comedy out of the time displaced X-Men. Like, Beast being all "They made a Scream 3?!" or Jean Grey discovering that her HitClips collection is obsolete. Or an exact remake of this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

To the best of my knowledge there is no connection between Britney Spears and anime.

how do you not know that Britney Spears' son is Anime King #1 and she is fully supportive of it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

One of the all time great tweets:
https://twitter.com/britneyspears/status/786269899471458304

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
alright, Britney Spears does have a connection to anime.

I actually just started Dragon Ball Super recently, it's good. More comedy than DBZ, but still good DBZ-style action. Y'all should give it a try.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best part avout DBS was just watching the slice of life clips on youtube

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Probably his most anticipated comic in years came out today and Hickman still makes time for this.

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1154083856045236226?s=19

I love him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I bought the first issue of Hickman's X-Men and had to laugh as the first page was the most Hickman-rear end thing ever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I got it in my head to read all of the Fourth World material. While I've read all of Kirby's work and a lot of the acclaimed other material, DC has actually done a lot with the New Gods over the years as it seems like every five or six years somebody tries a revival which quickly goes down in flames. I mean, who remembers the late 70's Mister Miracle revival that didn't even change the numbering from the end of Kirby's run years before hand? Or the late 80's prestige format Forever People limited series?

(FWIW, my definition of "Fourth World material" is any series starring one of the New Gods or story arc that is focused on the cosmic war between Apokolips and New Genesis. So Allred's Bug series is in. So is Cosmic Odyssey and the Great Darkness Saga. Not in are things like JLI which just have some Fourth World characters show up or things that deal with Cadmus or the DNAliens. A useful way of checking for more obscure titles for me is seeing if Darkseid appeared in a comic since he'll always come up in a core Fourth World book and his appearances elsewhere are easy to sort into "Just being a villain" and "Doing some Darkseid poo poo".)

So that's my long winded way of saying, "I'm going to post a bit about reading some awesome comics, but it's probably thin enough not to justify its own thread." At the moment I'm just setting out through the Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus series which collects everything Kirby did around that (unless you count the two Super Powers series, which I am not). Right now I'm through the first three Kirby Jimmy Olsen issues and the first issue of Forever People which is where things really kick off before Kirby starts laying out his master plan with New Gods.

Despite the modern re-evaluation of these books, I do think Kirby needed a scripting collaborator. Unfortunately I think the only person who could have done him justice with what he wanted to do is someone like Grant Morrison and there wasn't anyone like that beyond Kirby himself at DC in 1971. The thing is 80% of the dialog in the book is rough even by the standards of the day, and then that other 20% Kirby just comes up with something amazingly lyrical. A collaborator who could carry the weight of those poorly scripted panels and get out of the way of the brilliant ones is probably asking too much and given the circumstances around Kirby winding up at DC Kirby might not have been willing to go with it anyway.

I don't think Kirby understood DC's Superman. That's not to say Kirby didn't understand Superman, it was the version of the character being put forward by DC editorial that he didn't grasp. In these issues, Superman is overwhelmed by alien weaponry, beaten up by a giant, insane clone of Jimmy Olsen, and is driven into the earth while wrestling a being that channels the gravitational force of a galaxy. Kirby's Superman is powerful, but not indestructible or unstoppable. But the rules in the Superman books were that Superman's powers were being "super" and the only thing that could affect him was kryptonite (magic wasn't really coming up at this point as something he was vulnerable to). What seems to have happened is that someone editorially tried to patch over Kirby's Superman by adding dialog references to some kind of kryptonite being around or coloring the giant Jimmy Olsen green. Of course, Kirby has the last laugh here.

Superman is also more emotionally vulnerable here than he was being depicted in other books at the time. In the first issue of Forever People, he's thinking about leaving earth behind because he's holding humanity back (this being several years before Elliot S! Maggin gets there). But he finds out that the earth has become a battleground for gods and he can't abandon it right then. But maybe when it's over... That's a pretty big shift in depictions of the character.

Darkseid is awesome from his first on panel appearance. Okay, he has a jaunty cape that never appears again, but he comes out with lines like "A big enough lie will smash the truth!" And in this first confrontation with Superman, he doesn't even care that the Man of Steel is there. Superman is incidental to Darkseid. Darkseid nonchalantly tells Superman and the Forever People that when (and it's definitely "when" with no question of "if") he has the anti-life equation then he'll test it out by killing everything on earth with a single word. That's the kind of thing that sets up a great villain.

I've never cared for the Forever People, but for a group of characters that don't make a whole lot of sense and don't seem to have much reason to exist, they definitely get some of the best Kirby stories. I'm looking forward to getting to the amusement park issue which is amazing. The revamp of Deadman... not so much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Stan Lee could have certainly punched up the dialog in Kirby's New Gods.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tell us the truth Vulpes, is this how you got Black Cat?

https://twitter.com/ericpalicki/status/1154471261839323136?s=20

(I'm kidding, I know it's because you knocked everything else you wrote out of the park).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is it worth my time to tell Chud comic book fans that Superman came to America illegally, fleeing a doomed planet, not entering through the port of authorities, and if probably would have ended up at the child camps when he first arrived?

I know the answer is a sad no.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It is worth your time to punch them though

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

Is it worth my time to tell Chud comic book fans

search your feelings luke

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

Is it worth my time to tell Chud comic book fans that Superman came to America illegally, fleeing a doomed planet, not entering through the port of authorities, and if probably would have ended up at the child camps when he first arrived?

Tweet it out or make a comic/youtube video about it. They'll see it eventually if it catches on, but you won't have to engage with them directly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Are those people who even care about Superman? Chuds strike me as the kind of people who think the Punisher and Wolverine are awesome, Deadpool is hilarious, and the quality of a book is based on the number of arms torn off.

So how about some more thoughts the Fourth World?

I'm almost to the end of the first volume of the omnibuses so all four series have started up and gotten their storylines running. From what is the first two or three issues of the bimonthly titles and five issues of Jimmy Olsen, my rankings are: New Gods, Mister Miracle, Forever People, Jimmy Olsen. So let's take them in order.

New Gods is the best at the moment because Orion is most interesting character. Okay, Darkseid is the most interesting character by a mile, but Orion is the most interesting series headliner. Admittedly, he doesn't have much of a character, just the kind of grimly heroic figure who's on earth to kick rear end and take names, but it gives him a goal unlike the other books. He's building to a confrontation with Darkseid (they don't explain why for a while but it's hinted at), and since Darkseid is such an amazing villain. I love how issue 1 starts with the epilogue of the old gods and ends with the prologue. The best, of course, is issue 2 which gives us that most iconic of Darkseid moments: coming home to find the god of evil chilling in your recliner. There are no boundaries, home and hearth offer no comfort or safety: Darkseid is.

Mister Miracle has the problem where the book doesn't know what it wants to do with itself. Issue one: a young guy is walking down the road and sees someone get into a box which is then lit on fire. But it's an escape artist! Who gets killed a few pages later and, whelp, I guess he's an escape artist now as well. But as an escape artist, he's kind of boring. He doesn't escape through skill or wits, he's constantly pulling out deus ex machinas. What works in this series is the other characters, particularly the villains. Darkseid is only a presence in this book, not interacting with anyone directly and this gives other villains a bit of breathing room. Also Barda shows up next issue and she's great.

(An aside here: casting Ed Asner as Granny Goodness might have been the most brilliant casting decision the DCAU ever made and made a lot of brilliant casting decisions.)

Forever People has the problem that I don't care about any of the main cast. Scott Free doesn't interest me in Mister Miracle but I like Oberon; here I just don't care about any of these characters. They're even more ambiguous and poorly defined than the characters in the other books despite there being five of them. And yet, this is the book that carries the weight of the central themes of the Fourth World: these children are the future and they believe in love and freedom above all else. It's Old Man Kirby seeing the best in the hippie movement and wanting to turn that into superheroes. The third issue opens with a Hitler quote and telling people saying "our pride being attacked and dragged in the dust!" that they are the anti-life (which is probably a better term of those people than CHUD). The Forever People seems to be the land of the interesting stories that need better heroes.

Jimmy Olsen is an odd duck. It has the most coherent narrative of the Fourth World books, but also seems to be one that Kirby is unaware of how terrifying his concepts are as they're presented as positive things. One fun thing in these books, before I get into the clonus horror parts, is Kirby inverted it in some issues: what was once "Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen" becomes "Jimmy Olsen! And his pal Superman". Consider this was DC's worst selling book when Kirby picked it up, I wonder if that was an intentional revamp to emphasize the main character.

Anyway, in Jimmy Olsen, the photographer has had thousands of clones of him made by the government to use as foot soldiers, to mutate into monsters, to keep at the height of a few inches to use as infiltrators, and basically own them as slaves. All of this is because they unlocked the secrets of DNA. Superman knows and approves of all of this to the level that he chats with some clones about the base's ping-pong tournament, but hasn't told Jimmy about it and tried to keep him and the Newsboy Legion (who are clones being used in pretty much the same way as Jimmy's). Kirby presents this as a scientific marvel that is advancing humanity instead of the horror show that it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So Chuck Dixon sucks a lot, and I don’t care about airboy. But man that Steranko variant cover has me thinking about buying a Dixon book.

The August solicits are packed with stuff I want to buy. A Street Angel TP that collects the smaller books, a new Copra ongoing from image, a bunch of Floating World stuff... and DC / Marvel doing some cool minis, like the Joe Hill stuff, Gurihiru Superman fights the KKK, FF Grand Design, and Bizarre Adventures.