Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

COMMENTARY (With Lazyfire, Leylite and Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 12:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Sorta related, I just got Overload (ie the real new Descent) and am wondering if you have tips on how best to configure controls on my gamepad? Or should I do my best to get used to the default?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Sorta related, I just got Overload (ie the real new Descent) and am wondering if you have tips on how best to configure controls on my gamepad? Or should I do my best to get used to the default?

I've got it. It's installed. I just haven't actually played it yet as I want to focus on Descent first. It's going to be there, taunting me to finish this LP off before I get to it. ;)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, good move I suppose!

If at the end of the LP you start talking about your experience with it then hopefully I'll remember to ask again. If I don't find my own comfortable scheme by then anyway. :P (and no worries either way I won't talk about what's actually in the game)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Keyboard and mouse.
Also Overload is really good and like ten bucks right now. I've only played a couple levels so far but it was like going back to childhood; it really is Descent 4.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm glad some did make a hypercube level already. Even though this game is old, this LP had made me tempted to create such a thing. But if it's already done, there's no need.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
We keep hearing about this fabled hypercube level. Does anyone know where one might download a copy?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

It seems there's a database of levels here, but nothing is returned with a search for 'hypercube' or 'tesseract', so I'm not sure how to determine which might be it (or if it's there).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There actually is a way to tell the difference between the laser and missile varieties of those drones. They have different paint jobs.

Of course, that's the only way to tell until they open up on you, but it's a way :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

idhrendur posted:

It seems there's a database of levels here, but nothing is returned with a search for 'hypercube' or 'tesseract', so I'm not sure how to determine which might be it (or if it's there).

Worth noting again as it's a cool level and I can't stop gushing about Descent:

Destination Saturn is here, it was the final, official, level of a second, longer demo disc (It replaced level 15). If it's not too much trouble it would be cool to see again as a bonus video :yeah:

There was a Levels of the World pack with this level and a bunch of other developer-approved/loved levels (basically a developer published romhack?), but I'm not sure where to find it. It came with my ultimate edition (Descent 1+2, Levels of the World, Vertigo, and the sweet level editor).

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

idhrendur posted:

I'm glad some did make a hypercube level already. Even though this game is old, this LP had made me tempted to create such a thing. But if it's already done, there's no need.

I believe these levels exploit the engine weirdness that you speak of despite being a bit more complicated than a cube:

https://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=336 4D Pentacircle for Descent 1
https://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=337 4D Pentacircle for Descent 2

As the level notes mention splash damage from one "phase" will damage objects that are in range within the other "phases". This has some pretty stupid implications when D2 super weapons get in the mix.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Keyboard and mouse.

Oh right, been so long since I played an FPS. Still need to sorta get used to it compared to a regular FPS but yeah my kb+m training run went much more smoothly than with a gamepad.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Ephphatha) - NO COMMENTARY - 17:20

berryjon fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 8, 2019

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Commentary video is unavailable according to youtube.

Edit: Proper URL here

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 8, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

mastersord posted:

Commentary video is unavailable according to youtube.

Edit: Proper URL here

I am an idiot. Fixed, and thanks.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
A room with four high-powered hitscan-attacking enemies in it. Yup, that's when you know it's time to break out the rare weapons.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Level 18: Miranda Mine - COMMENTARY (With Ephphatha) - NO COMMENTARY - 18:07

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That one seemed relatively easy. Though I'm sure all the practice helped.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

idhrendur posted:

That one seemed relatively easy. Though I'm sure all the practice helped.

Not really. It is something of a breather level as the only real difficult part is that initial room with the blind corners with Drillers, and the spawn points for enemies. After that, it's pretty straight forward.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Lazyfire and Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 19:47

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

berryjon posted:

COMMENTARY (With Lazyfire and Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 19:47

I'm not sure if it was Lazyfire or Speedball, but they were 100% right about the level's theme being green! Almost every enemy was green or shooting green weapons. Uranus is green, after all!

And green levels with little energy and the looping design of the level itself make me think that some levels this person designed with the exprerience from this game went into Descent II :unsmigghh:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 21, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

And green levels with little energy and the looping design of the level itself make me think that some levels this person designed with the exprerience from this game went into Descent II :unsmigghh:
gently caress that planet.
I think we'll get there later but Descent 2 is mostly really pleasant to be lost in - with the exception of that one set of levels.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Lazyfire and Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 11:51

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Impressive. That military missile bot took you down from 91 shields in seconds.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Montegoraon posted:

Impressive. That military missile bot took you down from 91 shields in seconds.

They will mess you up real good even on lower difficulties, but I still find them more tolerable than those stupid Class 1 Drillers. VRRRR :gonk:

This is probably my favorite level in Descent 1 for all the reasons Berryjon mentioned. This level just feels good to play and all the weak enemies lets the Fusion Cannon shine :science:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

They will mess you up real good even on lower difficulties, but I still find them more tolerable than those stupid Class 1 Drillers. VRRRR :gonk:
I'd say it's a toss-up. When you hear a Driller, it's already too late, when you notice a military drone you usually slam whatever strafing direction you happened to have your finger closest to and risk alerting even more enemies. It really depends on how they are placed - Descent (and especially 2) is pretty good about turning narrow escapes into dickish ambushes.

e: I actually kinda wish they used the keybot gimmick more.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Descent (and especially 2) is pretty good about turning narrow escapes into dickish ambushes.
Descent - Tough, but fair, something that I'm getting a lot of mileage out of while practicing level 24.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It would actually be kind of hilarious if, even though your mission is to blow up the mines, the PTMC still docked your salary for every monitor you destroyed just because they're bureaucratic dicks.

Also, the music in this level really reminds me of the music of the first level of DOOM II for some reason, upping the nostalgica factor even more.

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

It would actually be kind of hilarious if, even though your mission is to blow up the mines, the PTMC still docked your salary for every monitor you destroyed just because they're bureaucratic dicks.

Also, the music in this level really reminds me of the music of the first level of DOOM II for some reason, upping the nostalgica factor even more.
While this is spoiler territory, they are FAR bigger dicks than that, as seen in the into and conclusion of the second game.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

omegasgundam posted:

While this is spoiler territory, they are FAR bigger dicks than that, as seen in the into and conclusion of the second game.

The events of the second game become even more dickish after the reveals in the third. Truly there is no bottom to the mine full of dicks that is the PTMC.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

Truly there is no bottom to the mine full of dicks that is the PTMC.

Yes there is. It's a reactor, and I'll blow it up, then make a daring escape through the mine exit. ;)

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

A future corporate offworld mining company being dicks? My goodness!

Although I'm surprised that our hero at this point hasn't gone "gently caress it, I'm out" and decided to sell their sizeable stock of looted weapons and ammunition on the black market already...

[edit]Come to think of it, I might actually have a hard copy somewhere of an old computer magazine with a gushing review of Descent - might have been this:

I remember the reviewer being seriously in awe over the idea of a FPS game being "better than doom".

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 31, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

I remember the reviewer being seriously in awe over the idea of a FPS game being "better than doom".
That was actually a thing throughout most of ninenties; I guess until Half-life. FPS games were still called "Doom clones" long after Quake came out.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I remember that! I can't recall if it was this magazine or another one that had a lineup of "Doom clones", basically all the reviews were along the lines of "nice try but still not as good as Doom". I think I remember the list contained rise of the triad, some weird music-themed game called virtuoso, corridor 7, and possibly also quarantine despite that one being a combat taxi/driving game.

[edit] Wow, that reviewer has bad 90s opinions on FPS controls: "mouse control is okay, but - as with Doom - for real precision, master the keys" :crossarms:

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 1, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Crazy Achmed posted:

[edit] Wow, that reviewer has bad 90s opinions on FPS controls: "mouse control is okay, but - as with Doom - for real precision, master the keys" :crossarms:

Naw, mouse control was kind of finnicky in the early 90s FPSses, to the point where keyboard control often felt better. (helped in part by the fact most FPS games either had no or very limited look-up/look-down features and most of them had aim-assistence built in to compensate) It wasn't until Quake, which allowed FreeLook mode that the mouse and keyboard combo really took off.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And keyboard only is definitely the master's way of playing Descent.

Erpy posted:

It wasn't until Quake, which allowed FreeLook mode that the mouse and keyboard combo really took off.
Terminator: Future Shock :actually:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

These would have been ball mice too.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

And keyboard only is definitely the master's way of playing Descent.
Objectively wrong.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

berryjon posted:

Objectively wrong.

You're all adorable. Adorable plebs.

I used to assign the hat switches to weapon and missile selects respectively. The trackball was actually quite useful for righting oneself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What, no HOSAS & pedals?