Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Yeah when I made the mistake of playing albion the first town I walked into all the stalls were taken by dumbasses charging insane prices to use anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I think a goon mega-station is inevitable because of this.

Which honestly would make a pretty cool capital area for our faction anyway. :getin:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrayn posted:

Yeah when I made the mistake of playing albion the first town I walked into all the stalls were taken by dumbasses charging insane prices to use anything.

Yeah, it's stupid. People who poopsock the game at release shouldn't forever thereafter be comfortably rich without doing anything else. The only thing they did stupider than that was the whole gold system, wherein gold just constantly gets exponentially more expensive... So every tryhard poopsock idiot just min/max to have enough resources to buy it off people at the beginning and thereafter they are ungodly rich forever.

They can go ahead and steal from eve all day, if anything good should come from eve it should be the lab setting wherein various poo poo was tried and a relatively decent/fun game/economy existed without being entirely ruined even when they did extremely dumb poo poo.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

soy posted:

Yeah, it's stupid. People who poopsock the game at release shouldn't forever thereafter be comfortably rich without doing anything else. The only thing they did stupider than that was the whole gold system, wherein gold just constantly gets exponentially more expensive... So every tryhard poopsock idiot just min/max to have enough resources to buy it off people at the beginning and thereafter they are ungodly rich forever.

They can go ahead and steal from eve all day, if anything good should come from eve it should be the lab setting wherein various poo poo was tried and a relatively decent/fun game/economy existed without being entirely ruined even when they did extremely dumb poo poo.

Albion is a bad game all around, despite what apologists in the Albion thread say.

Having said, that, the best way to deal with crowded safe zones without resorting to the MMO-killer that is instancing is probably using a weekly bidding system for spots. If you lose your spot, nbd everything is stored and your blueprint saved, then someone else can use it, so long as they can keep ponying the credits to maintain the spot and fend off others who are willing to pay more.

This will also make player-owned stations in player space more attractive as they'll likely be infinitely more affordable, and if with the right group, a healthy market to turn a profit on.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Didn't realize they had been putting out videos since the announcement. Even more hyped for this.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

Albion is a bad game all around, despite what apologists in the Albion thread say.

Having said, that, the best way to deal with crowded safe zones without resorting to the MMO-killer that is instancing is probably using a weekly bidding system for spots. If you lose your spot, nbd everything is stored and your blueprint saved, then someone else can use it, so long as they can keep ponying the credits to maintain the spot and fend off others who are willing to pay more.

This will also make player-owned stations in player space more attractive as they'll likely be infinitely more affordable, and if with the right group, a healthy market to turn a profit on.

Yeah Albion is a dumpster fire.

Maybe a monthly bidding system not to be annoying. Just needs to not be oh you got this grats you’re set forever gently caress noobs got yours.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Pretty sure they changed the city plot system a couple months ago in Albion. It's not something I really follow in the game though. I just like the pvp

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

STARBASE - Developer Interview

Youtuber Captain Jack interviewed people from Frozenbyte over discord. Here is a break-down of what was said:

-People interview are Kia from marketing, the VP Joel, and Project Leader Anna.
-Development started five years ago.
-Company and game started out when Lowry, CEO of the company, got tired of not seeing voxel/survival project he was previously working not get past the planning stage. Figures he could make something better.
-Starbase development is justified as a means of researching and developing their engine to handle mass data simulation for future projects.
-Early Access is planned for 2019, but they don't guarantee that.
-The reason why they've relatively recently announced the game and planning for EA for 2019 is because they believe they've reach the point were developing the game in a closed vacuum is no longer efficient.
-They want player meta-data to help them decide where they should focus development (AKA: the same way Eve Online does things).
-Game is played on a single server shard and handles player encounters with an p2p instance system. Current system supports an instances of about a 100 players, however this isn't set in stone. System prioritizes putting friends/clans into same instances. :parrot:
-End goal for development is to have an almost uncapped player count.
-There is no console version planned at this moment and would only be consider, if at all, until after the game leaves EA. If it was being considered, it would only be developed for next gen consoles.
-Current hardware required to run Starbase are based on the specs of computers the developers use to play the game in it's current unoptimized state, requirement will be lowered as they develop the game.
-Game is designed in such a way that the game and it's mechanics are easy to learn, but hard to master.
-Everything can be fully designed and tested in a blue-print beforehand. Once finalized, multiple players can work together to assembly ships or stations represented by a hologram if they have the resource and parts, insuring things are not put together wrong.
-Currently there is no system that allows the sharing of blueprints, but they will change that soon. They also might add blueprint sharing via Steamwork, but they're not ready to commit to that decision yet.
-There will be no private servers.
-Landing on planets is planned for down the line, but not a top priority in development at this time.
-Another planned feature is warp gates, which will be used to travel to other solar systems.

E: From the sound of things, they're purposely designed the game to output as much simulated data as possible, under one the harshest media environment (large scale MMOs), with the intent of people abusing the hell out of it in the game, for the sole purpose to help them optimize research for their compression technology to help them create a more efficient game engine for future use. Got to give them credit, even though I think they've bitten more than they can chew, they're ballsy. :stare:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 16, 2019

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
All of this is encouraging stuff to read. I still don't know how well they will effectively handle the community when the game actually launches, but this is good stuff.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
they'll initially release it as a hardcore true sandbox game and then dumb it down for actual release to hook in the casual audience and alienate the original backers

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

P2P is worrisome

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

P2P is worrisome

P2P instancing is not the same thing as a game being P2P, it’s simply a method for a dedicated server to save resources.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

they'll initially release it as a hardcore true sandbox game and then dumb it down for actual release to hook in the casual audience and alienate the original backers

at this point if someone would just release a moderately lovely game I'd be happy

I'm playing planetside 2 for fucks sake

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

TalonDemonKing posted:

P2P is worrisome

They've also said nothing substantial, IE things that would easily allow cheating, will be handled P2P/clientside in a separate Q&A.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Back Hack posted:

Game is played on a single server shard and handles player encounters with an p2p instance system.

:chloe:

quote:

They've also said nothing substantial, IE things that would easily allow cheating, will be handled P2P/clientside

I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Shadowlz posted:

:chloe:

I find that incredibly hard to believe.

It's not hard to believe when you think about all the gameplay stuff occurring serverside, and a lot of the advanced rendering/physics/etc occurring P2P/clientside. A lot of YOLOL functions will probably be P2P as well.

We'll know soon enough though.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
how would that even reliably work

it's gonna be a clusterfuck of desyncy broken bullshit AND/OR exploitable easily cheated if they rely too much on p2p

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I'm holding my breath to see how it actually plays. But yeah, could easily be a clusterfuck if they've not really thought it through

forge
Feb 26, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

how would that even reliably work

it's gonna be a clusterfuck of desyncy broken bullshit AND/OR exploitable easily cheated if they rely too much on p2p

This has been the worry because how can P2P not. Imagine the poo poo you'll be able to do easily in P2P.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Back Hack posted:

P2P instancing is not the same thing as a game being P2P, it’s simply a method for a dedicated server to save resources.

I'm rather sure they said their networking was P2P which is different than P2P instances, I agree. However, I am rather 99% sure we were told or its in the FAQ somewhere that the coding will use P2P for networking to reduce the server load for the 1349302 parts of ships that are blow apart.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Back Hack posted:

with the intent of people abusing the hell out of it

I think we can help there.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

The best way I could foresee being able to handle the clusterfuck of 'dozens of ships exploding into thousands of collidable pieces dozens of times every second' is to change how destruction, collision, and breakage is handled based on server load, or at least number of people on the server. It could be tiered, once the server is at

>15 people in an area you could have :
1) pieces of size x not render when separated from a space ship if it's a [non important module/part]
2) abstract(verb) loose cargo/items suspended in those meme gravity fields (which i think is a dumb/unnecessary idea anyway, having an abstracted inventory is so much easier to handle/manage)
3) potentially a change in game physics to simplify collisions, breakages and destruction in a more manageable and cpu friendly way*
4) slow the game's simulation speed (e.g. time dilation in eve online) so the server can handle it*

You could even, once load goes below the limit (or below the player count) have the originally despawned or non-rendered debris and pieces spawn in in a salvage yard type of thing.

If the server load still needs help or even more people join in a fight, you could:
1) pieces of size x+n not render when separated from a space ship
2) limit the speed at which in game code is run*
3) group fast rate of fire projectiles into 'bursts' rather than many smaller shots*

There are many optimizations they could do to make the server carry many more people, but whether they have the technical know-how or creative ability remains to be seen.

*I know these things would most likely significantly effect gameplay, but having gameplay effected negatively is better than not having gameplay at all.

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 17, 2019

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Peer to peer instancing worked so great in elite dangerous where if you tried to drop into a beacon where a squaddie was being attacked but couldn't connect to any one of the other players in that instance you got your own empty space and couldn't help.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - Asteroid Mining Feature Video

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

That looks like a really interesting way to do mining. It seems like you can actually make a full career out of it too.

Adustust
May 7, 2004
Yea, not quite sure how the purity portion will play out. When you buy materials for ship building, does the purity of the material that goes in affect quality? Seems crazy to sit there and pick the ore clean.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm hoping that just means a higher yield when the asteroids are refined into spacematerials but who knows :iiam:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

looks pretty chill

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i'm so glad you can just smash the pieces into tiny fragments instead of having to manually drag every piece into g*sh d*rn piece into a cargo thing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really dig this.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I really dig this.

That's rather vein of you.

vvv It's one of the devs.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 22, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also I really enjoy the videos they put out but the narrator really bothers me for some reason. I think it’s her cadence or something.

It’s a real person right? Like not a “Siri” reading it off?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

MarcusSA posted:

Also I really enjoy the videos they put out but the narrator really bothers me for some reason. I think it’s her cadence or something.

If you watch Captain Jack's Q&A with the devs she sounds a lot more like a regular human being. But she definatly has a strong Scandinavian accent.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

MarcusSA posted:

She's def a real person, I think it's just a Finnish accent. She participates in a ton of Q&As and FAQ stuff on the discord and is a super chill person.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Finnish "people".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kaffo posted:

If you watch Captain Jack's Q&A with the devs she sounds a lot more like a regular human being. But she definatly has a strong Scandinavian accent.

Kimsemus posted:

She's def a real person, I think it's just a Finnish accent. She participates in a ton of Q&As and FAQ stuff on the discord and is a super chill person.

Ok thanks!

I like the content maybe it’s just the way she reads that’s throwing me off. I honestly thought she was a robot :shrug:

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

I like the accent ^.^

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - Boltcrackers Episode 3

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
boltcrackers is cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
The new space battle video is pretty cool. I'm interested to see what happens when it's not a closed dev test environment and there are 50+ more people.