Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Steam Link https://store.steampowered.com/app/454120/Starbase/

Trailer (GET HYPE): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXLTFwoYM_s

Official Forums: https://forum.starbasegame.com/

Official Discord: https://discord.gg/starbase

Official Wiki: https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php/Main_Page

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: Goon Guild Discord: https://discord.gg/uHyyaM8

WHAT IS, OP?

Starbase is being developed by Frozenbyte, who you might know as the folks that built Trine.

Starbase is an MMO with gameplay focused on building and designing spaceships and stations, exploration, resource gathering, crafting, trading, and combat. The game features a fully destructible environment and a multitude of fine-detailed simulations that allow you, the players, the ultimate freedom to conquer space and unleash your creativity.

Key features:
* Destructible environment with voxel and fracture damage and in-depth simulation
* Play and interact online with thousands of players, join factions, and more
* Build and design your spaceships, stations, and devices down to the tiniest detail
* Explore the infinite universe and gather resources

The building of the Starbase universe and the factions of the Empire and Kingdom will begin in Early Access later in 2019.

But I still have questions! Perfect, check out this google doc, which has a lot more info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jW4ic1piFnRB0jJcoXeRNYvpREaCKMSCEmLvCqB-7mw/edit

Look at this sweet voxel destruction:

What does the combat look like?

Take a look at this dev test battle: :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYp_VXfFoyA

PROTIP: There are tons of awesome videos on the official discord! Check them out!

Screenybois:

When is Strarbase launching?

Starbase is currently in alpha. The devs have teased some alpha tests soon, then an imminent EA release, where the game will languish develop for about a year until the 1.0 release.

Are goons playing?

Yes! Check the discord link here: https://discord.gg/uHyyaM8

This game appears to reward group play and contributions, similar to ATLAS and other builder/survival/murder titles. Strength in numbers!

Expect many MMO HMO celebrities!

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Trine was ok but it was also made ten years ago

Bit of a weird selling point when every game they've made since (Trine 2, Trine 3, Nine Parchments, Has-Been Heroes, with Trine 4 in development) sucks dick

I don't know anything about this game though so I guess it has a chance. Anyone has a chance

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
yeah, Trine was good, but it's up in years. The big thing that bode well for me is that they had the cash I guess to really push into development of a more ambitious title like this, and weren't a vaporware studio trying to tackle their first project.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I'm down for robo-space shenanigans. I can probably get some other Diamond Frogs interested if this game shapes up to be what it wants to be.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks pretty neat. I could see Goon Squad hilariously owning in this game.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I am very excited for this game. Also, 45 pages of questions and answers is pretty cool from the devs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah sorry I didn't feel like bothering with the OP of a thread people were actually interested in

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
wrt the goon guild -- I don't plan on being GM or anything, just helping to facilitate bringing everyone together. I hope plenty of people will step up to generate content. I know my style isn't for everyone. :toot:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

yeah, it just seems like jumping the gun to set up a goon guild when the game doesn't even have a release date.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

RocketRaygun posted:

yeah, it just seems like jumping the gun to set up a goon guild when the game doesn't even have a release date.

its mostly for people who want to start organizing or discuss the game, they just have a central place to do it.

Also devs have teased out mysterious pre-alphas before EA so there is that too

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 31, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Here's the problem I have with voxels: Everquest Landmark.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
main question: is there sov? if there isn't sov, is there some way to trade like in EVE? the voxel poo poo will get old like Worlds Adrift after the first month, but if either of those two bits are in you have a loving game

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Good Dumplings posted:

main question: is there sov? if there isn't sov, is there some way to trade like in EVE? the voxel poo poo will get old like Worlds Adrift after the first month, but if either of those two bits are in you have a loving game

The devs have confirmed that yes, there will be some kind of sov, and you can build expansive megastructures/megastations and stuff in and outside of them:

quote:

LauriFB (5/28/19): We are planning a territory system but initial version might be very rudimentary or not at all .. but that can also mean that building to space is unlimited and territories are defended with weapons.
LauriFB (5/29/19): yes, we have plans for claiming space. before the claiming system you can just fly your warships to a certain point and tell everyone else to bugger off.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here's the problem I have with voxels: Everquest Landmark.

The whole game isn't voxels. From my understanding in the dev Q&A and talking to their lead programmer, it's more of "Everything is a normal 3d mesh, but when it takes damage they voxelize the mesh and remove voxels". It's an interesting hybrid approach.

Astroids (and moons/planets, if/when they build those) are fully voxel though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mostly just want to chill out and mine some space rocks and build cool stuff

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
When can I get put in space jail by a pack of ravenous goons for building a space ship in the wrong place as detailed by the unwritten guild rules? This seems like the kind of game that needs to seize the initial hype.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 4, 2020

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

puberty worked me over posted:

Tbh we should all just play empyrion while we wait for this to come out.

yeah that's what some of us are doing!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

God damnit. Is this the next early access scam that I have to spend my money on for a few months of goon shenanigans?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I will probably get this once it comes out. Has there been any sort of release announcement, or are they just trying to build up some hype right now?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Nalin posted:

I will probably get this once it comes out. Has there been any sort of release announcement, or are they just trying to build up some hype right now?

Seems like Hype train and all "LATE 2019" circle jerk poo poo

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dead Like Rev posted:

Seems like Hype train and all "LATE 2019" circle jerk poo poo

Hell yea grab a seat, friend.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Game looks cool. Can't wait until someone builds a goatse ship I can fly through realistically scraping the edges and damaging my spacecraft

Adadad
May 16, 2008
Well this sounds like a bad game... and im sure some of you know how I like bad games, so I'll see you guys there I guess.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

dylguy90 posted:

Game looks cool. Can't wait until someone builds a goatse ship I can fly through realistically scraping the edges and damaging my spacecraft

A goatse starbase, literal kilometers on each side

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the discord definitely has people whose imaginations are running wild though

talking about making fully automated star forges to create swarms of drones and stuff lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n3dncvPdXk

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Official discord is full of big dreams yeah. Everyone is going to make fully automate guard drones and factories and also they will be the leader of a big famous company.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
My chief concern is still going to be the accessibility of the scripting language that players write on to control the various block functions. It has to be robust, but it also must be accessible to players who are focused on more casual play/have no technical knowledge, and I still don't know how they will balance that.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

My chief concern is still going to be the accessibility of the scripting language that players write on to control the various block functions. It has to be robust, but it also must be accessible to players who are focused on more casual play/have no technical knowledge, and I still don't know how they will balance that.

gently caress that, I want it to be its own language and let developers/coders rule with an iron fist of artificial intelligence guarding every system.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
IN THE FAR DISTANT ROBOT FUTURE

there are two classes of beings

THE PROGRAMMERS, who rule all aspects of life with an iron fist

and THE CASUALS, forced to play games for the amusement of their betters . . .

in

STARBASE, SPACESHIPS IN TIME

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
haven't fire up space engineers for a LONG time but the trailer looks like what i wanted space engineers to be like.

Lagtastic
Jan 24, 2005

I have no idea what I'm doing.

And I'll have fun doing it.
I'll be playing this game.

I'll have no idea what I'm doing.

But I'll be as helpful as I can.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Like all other games before, I'll be playing this for a week and then will forget it exists.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pigbottom posted:

Like all other games before, I'll be playing this for a week and then will forget it exists.

I think I'm going to play, but not necessarily with goons. I have a feeling I'll play longer that way

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The wiki is up: https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php/Main_Page

has tons of new info

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i have too much money and not enough early access tagged items in my steam library. i hope im in the right place :homebrew:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I saw a video of this game that someone linked over in the Star Citizen Thread and the video showed a ship being docked inside another ship...

I'm interested but only if I can buy an Idris and become Lord of the Stimpire.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

SabinBlitz posted:

I saw a video of this game that someone linked over in the Star Citizen Thread and the video showed a ship being docked inside another ship...

I'm interested but only if I can buy an Idris and become Lord of the Stimpire.

Even better, this version of the Stimpire is so metal, everyone is a robots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Knowing goon propensity in games like this

you will be docking a lot of things in other things :iiasm: