Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Here's my Scholar rotation for when it's the end of a pull and you have two stacks of Aetherflow left:

Overheal Lustrate
Overheal Lustrate
Dissipate
Overheal Lustrate
Overheal Lustrate
Overheal Lustrate
Aetherflow
Overheal Lustrate
Overheal Lustrate
Sacred Soil
Recitation Excog

Looking for improvements. Maybe turn one into an Overheal Indom?

Have you considered just... not using stacks if you don't need to? It isn't a DPS loss anymore and mana is such a non-issue that you don't need to use it for mana either. (Or if you did you wouldn't have any bonus stacks left anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

mirarant posted:

Thought I'd give this game another go since the last time I tried it was before any of the xpacs came out and oh boy I had completely forgotten that the entire SQ account creation is based on the logical process of a soggoth.

I had my ancient account from when XIV first launched and I quit after a week - never enabled OTP. I go to reset password and it refuses to let me do it without OTP. I submit a support ticket on Thursday morning. It's Sunday morning and I haven't heard a peep. SE sucks so hard at account management and support.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

good elf

also i finally realized at level 79 that i forgot to put heat blast back on my hotbars for mch when rearranging them at the start of shb and wow my dps as mch has skyrocketed :woop:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

:catstare:

"Fix your gear" is the new "charge your drat phone"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Helicity posted:

I had my ancient account from when XIV first launched and I quit after a week - never enabled OTP. I go to reset password and it refuses to let me do it without OTP. I submit a support ticket on Thursday morning. It's Sunday morning and I haven't heard a peep. SE sucks so hard at account management and support.

You'll never get a response over email. You'll need to call them to get any sort of response.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Saint Freak posted:

Here's my Scholar rotation for when it's the end of a pull and you have two stacks of Aetherflow left:

Overheal Lustrate
Overheal Lustrate
Dissipate
Overheal Lustrate
Overheal Lustrate
Overheal Lustrate
Aetherflow
Overheal Lustrate
Overheal Lustrate
Sacred Soil
Recitation Excog

Looking for improvements. Maybe turn one into an Overheal Indom?

just save the two stacks for the next pull lol, you can turn two of those overheal lustrates into a normal lustrate and a sacred soil

there's literally no dungeon that requires any sort of aetherflow optimization like this

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Helicity posted:

Yeah, you’ll either need to call or use the online chat. Took maybe 30 minutes total when I used that. I don’t think support is open on the weekends though, so just do it on Monday.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You have to spend them because you need to be in combat to dissipate so that would be leaving 50 faerie gauge on the table you could spend on 5 Overheal Fae Blessings.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Most of the time you should be finishing a big pull with almost no aetherflows left aside from dissipate so you would dissipate at the end of the pull so your fairy is back for the next one. If you are at 2 aetherflows still with aetherpact and dissipate left then either no one is taking significant damage during the pull or you are gcd healing too often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE1Ay8mmVB8

Has a good general workflow for dungeons

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i'm only 30 quests away from finishing ARR

yay?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
if you are capping aetherflow then either

1. you are not level 78+
2. your tank isn't pulling enough mobs
or
3. you're not doing extreme/savage content

and outside of those scenarios, what does it really matter if you can't efficiently use your healing resources? cast broil more instead of clipping your overheal lustrates you loons.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

it feels bad is a good enough reason imo relax people

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is it worthwhile to craft while leveling your first char, or is that something better left for when you're more established? Should I be gathering as well?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Helicity posted:

Is it worthwhile to craft while leveling your first char, or is that something better left for when you're more established? Should I be gathering as well?

Oh gently caress no. Crafting is an investment and it's going to take a long time to bring in returns. And if you want to make gear you can use, you need to go deep into crafting.

Gathering is a bit more relaxed and will let you train a retainer and bring in some side coin, but it's not going to supplement your main combat job. If you're going to craft, you should gather.

That said, grab a couple crafter jobs and play around with them. They're neat enough in their own right, but you won't see the returns on them until you go all in.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Helicity posted:

You end up leveling faster than you can level your crafting to keep up, and the MSQ just constantly gives you gear anyways

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Helicity posted:

imo it's not worth it, but if you love the crafting system then go hog wild. It's probably not going to help you progress through the main game though

Is gathering a good source of gil while leveling? I've barely touched it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Gathering is good because a lot of crafters are lazy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dryzen posted:

it feels bad is a good enough reason imo relax people

While I agree if you're arguing about what feels bad I'd put "Paladin doesn't even get its basic rotation until level 68" way loving higher.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

ReWinter posted:

A ton of people are saying that precasting Regen is bad but with the changes to tank stance in ShB this is frequently not true - it may be technically safer not to do it, but if you're running along close to the tank like you should be then you'll eat at most one or two hits before the tank effortlessly AoEs them off of you, and that damage will immediately get healed by Assize once the pull is clumped up. Meanwhile Regen during lengthy wall pulls picks up slack once Divine Benison wears off and gives more leeway for that sweet sweet Holy.

This is not directed at that person learning WHM, but when you're running EXDR at level cap for the 90th time Regen during pulls is the right move if you're playing well and having tanks click it off when I'm two steps behind them is just weird.

Almost nobody who plays this game is good at it hth

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Gathering is good because a lot of crafters are lazy.

I'm lazy btw

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Helicity posted:

imo it's worthwhile because Beast Tribes are free, efficient, and reset daily. GC turn-ins and leves are nice as well, but they admittedly are more difficult and time-consuming if you go for HQs.

Would advise Beast Tribes at least, possibly the other options depending on your time and patience.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I’m in the mid-high 30s on my first job and starting to hit level restrictions on the MSQ line. I assume that’s pretty normal? Trying to remember to log out at sanctuaries and doing a daily roulette duty to keep levels moving. Hasn’t been a big deal so far as there’s usually a few correct level side quests where I’m getting gated to get the one extra level I need.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Helicity posted:

Do as you enjoy, imo, but crafting's a pretty big money and/or time sink, especially while leveling your first combat job. It's more potentially convenient to gear up alt classes than it is worthwhile trying to keep your main in crafted gear.

However, once you complete the level 41 dungeon in the Main Story Quests, you can unlock the Ixali Beast Tribe Quests, which are specifically tailored to level up crafting classes to 50 with daily quests that are fairly low effort, so it may be worthwhile waiting until you're at least that far to really start working on them in earnest. You also get 6 leve allowances per day to a cap of 100, and those are particularly good for leveling non-combat class (I like them for gathering classes first because there's no Beast Tribe you can use for them until 60 and Collectibles aren't until the 50s)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

I’m in the mid-high 30s on my first job and starting to hit level restrictions on the MSQ line. I assume that’s pretty normal? Trying to remember to log out at sanctuaries and doing a daily roulette duty to keep levels moving. Hasn’t been a big deal so far as there’s usually a few correct level side quests where I’m getting gated to get the one extra level I need.

Yes. Keep doing your Daily Roulettes. Supplement with some FATEs as well, especially since the 5/10 requirement per week is easy and rewarding.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Maybe I should just continuously queue duties as I’m doing MSQs?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Good Citizen posted:

Eh it's really only worth doing the low level duty roulette for exp (until you get Alliance/MSQ roulette). You can certainly queue for specific dungeons for decent exp but a leveling roulette a day plus the challenge log bonuses should really keep you where you need to be, especially post-ARR.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

It would be efficient if the dungeons aren't hard, like Qarn at 35 might be best skipped after the first run. Take care not to burn out on the grind.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

you can queue as much as you like, but a given roulette gives bonus exp once per day

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

super sweet best pal posted:

Honestly, I think the morally correct thing would be to let history take its course and maybe only give the people enough rope to hang themselves instead of putting metaphorical nooses around their necks. Seems like basic human nature would usher in a calamity on its own eventually. Sure, the Ascians would wait a lot longer but the blood wouldn't be on their hands.

This doesn't really work because you need a simultaneous disaster on the Source and a shard overflowing with an element. If there's no shard ready for rejoining, the disaster just plays out normally on the Source (see: Shinryu just being a strong primal when Bahamut was a calamity). If there's no disaster on the Source then the shard just gets overtaken by aether (see: the void). Making it all happen at the same time requires a guiding hand.

Plus, the final phase of the Ascian's plan is to sacrifice everyone who survived all 13 rejoinings to Zodiark to give him enough energy to resurrect the people who died in his creation. The whole plan is predicated on a massive blood sacrifice, and once you're committed to that, causing some extra death and suffering along the way doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Helicity posted:

I’m going to disagree with everyone and say yes, assuming you actually want to craft. I wouldn’t say it’s “worthwhile” necessarily, there are much better and easier ways to get gear starting out. But if you’re interested in crafting/gathering then you might as well unlock them now and you can slowly level them up via GC turn-ins and leves. That makes a lot more sense to me than waiting until you’re max level to start and then having to blast through everything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The gently caress is a brass blade gonna run up to me in the level 63 dancer quests and act like I'm some random adventurer? I was public enemy number 1 to you guys and I hosed ya'll up 3 expansions ago!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Y'shtola got character development in Shadowbringers?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Leal posted:

The gently caress is a brass blade gonna run up to me in the level 63 dancer quests and act like I'm some random adventurer? I was public enemy number 1 to you guys and I hosed ya'll up 3 expansions ago!

yeah it's kind of weird for start-at-60 jobs to make no mention of you being the WoL, especially considering the end of the gunbreaker quest line very much does

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

super sweet best pal posted:

Finally got all three, I am adequate at PvP. I probably won't get all the titles before the cross-promotion ends but at least I'll have the mounts.

Got any advice? I still need twelve wins in Feast and my win rating is below 25%.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Squiddycat posted:

Y'shtola got character development in Shadowbringers?

she slapped an rear end

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Solitair posted:

Got any advice? I still need twelve wins in Feast and my win rating is below 25%.
Heal. Feast teams are as good as their healers, and pug healers suck most of the time. Also play 8 man

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So what if I got into Gathering

is that a good way to make money?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cao Ni Ma posted:

she slapped an rear end

People try to tell me she learned emotions but she still seems as stilted and emotionless as ever to be honest

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

homeless snail posted:

Heal. Feast teams are as good as their healers, and pug healers suck most of the time. Also play 8 man

I've been trying, but the other team often overwhelms me, so maybe I also suck.

Is 8 man the ranked match option? If not, I don't know how to do 8 man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solitair posted:

My honest advice:

Play healer. Yes, I know that sounds terrible but I've found there are a lot of good DPSes and tanks in Feast but precious few competent healers. When I went in as a healer I ended up winning like 70% of my matches compared to anything else and I'm not even particularly good at PVP.