Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ZHIOVI CLASS destroyer gets my vote - literally the only non-overweight destroyer

ZANIMAT'SYA BESSMYSLENNYM DELON (refit) for the big ship. It was a close-run thing.

Regarding fuel type, will we have problems if we pick the ships powered by oil?
(I ignored fuel type in my decision-making process anyway)

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ivan IV Vassilievich for the battleship, even though at some point it will explode thanks to that 10/3" turret armour I still think it's the best one. I liked the Grand Friendship too but 2" of conning tower armour is just insane.

Zhivoi for the destroyer. I would have liked a little more gun firepower for small engagements (maybe a pair of 2" secondaries or something) but at least it isn't overweight.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Destroyer: Bolshoy Igriz

This ship has the blazing speed and heavy torpedo armament that fits our needs perfectly.

Dreadnought: I can'''t justify a low freeboard given the storms in the North Sea. We should build the Ryska Sjön.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Danann posted:

Battleship: Ryska Sjön

Voting for these as well.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Ryska Sjön
Bolshoy Igriz

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Ivan IV Vasilyevich This is the only battleship that can go somewhere and do something before getting blown up.
Bolshoy Igriz

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 20, 2019

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Ivan IV Vassilievich for the battleship, even though at some point it will explode thanks to that 10/3" turret armour I still think it's the best one. I liked the Grand Friendship too but 2" of conning tower armour is just insane.

Zhivoi for the destroyer. I would have liked a little more gun firepower for small engagements (maybe a pair of 2" secondaries or something) but at least it isn't overweight.

CT isn't hit that often, and everyone knows our fearless captains / admirals will used the unarmored bridge anyways.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Danann posted:

Battleship: Ryska Sjön

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Grey Hunter posted:

A 18"* British built battleship.

(*guns, not total length.)
Of course not length. That wouldn't be a battleship. I'd be a pocket battleship. :rimshot:

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Imperial Officer posted:

Bolshoy Igriz-class Destroyer

and

Liviafan-class Dreadnaught

The czar's cousin provides.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

frankenfreak posted:

Of course not length. That wouldn't be a battleship. I'd be a pocket battleship. :rimshot:

gotta ketch them all!

edit: my votes
Ryska Sjön - nice and cheap! Which is good because it's going to be in drydock after every fight, fixing the gaping holes where the completely unarmored secondary guns used to be in the casemates! An interesting design decision, that.

Bolshoy Igriz - fast, torpedoes, In Living Color, torpedoes!

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 20, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I'll vote for this as well.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

simplefish posted:

ZHIOVI CLASS destroyer gets my vote - literally the only non-overweight destroyer

ZANIMAT'SYA BESSMYSLENNYM DELON (refit) for the big ship. It was a close-run thing.

ZHIOVI CLASS destroyer

Ryska Sjön

Seems like the coastal battleship isn't popular so I'll throw my weight behind the Ryska Sjön since it seems the closest to it.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

frankenfreak posted:

So, is that a battleship in your pocket or....
:wink:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

vyelkin posted:

In the 1912 save the Tusk has 3t of weight to spare. I just didn't see a need to repost it for that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Bolshoy Igriz class destroyer because those funnels are ridiculous.

ZANIMAT'SYA BESSMYSLENNYM DELON (refit) because it's hilariously fast.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
a thing to keep in mind re:teashy mcgarbo botes is that at least in the first game the AI countries would just kinda copy cat your poo poo but change it up a little so the teacher wouldn't notice

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The AI in RTW2 has a wider selection of its own designs to choose from but will still totally copy your designs.

It's in theory possible to add design templates to the AI's library, and something I'd like to see as a mod is a collection of community ship designs for the AI to use.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I get the feeling that there would be less of a challenge if goons were allowed to design the AI fleets.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Infidelicious posted:

[META]I'm not really a fan of hard limits on numbers of guns / caliber when calling for designs, there is a finite number of ways to meet that goal, and the designs end up samey.

(One of the other workarounds I had considered is to go by the letter of the law, and have 2 ships with 4 18" guns total, thus providing the required 18" guns while letting you pick out more sensible secondaries)

simplefish posted:

There's also the more straightforward workaround of proposing a law with wording you do like

This also is an option. Even if there's already a law you think is too prescriptive being suggested.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 21, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

There's also the more straightforward workaround of proposing a law with wording you do like

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
You guys do realize that all of those proposed BBs cost us our entire yearly budget, right? We are going to bankrupt the navy and get sent to Siberia for our incompetence.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
BBs and 18" super guns cost a lot

And complaining about the design restriction is moot because this is an exercise in trying to steal the 18" tech.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
And even if we don't get tech from it, we still get guns 4" bigger than we, the US, and Austria, have right now. I didn't have a chance to see if I could build from Japan, German, or French yards, but I'd be shocked if they had anything bigger than 14" right now. The difference is immense, even a -1 18" gun has 25km range while a 0 14" gun has like 16km. And if you happen to hit at long range, no level of deck armor is stopping an 18" shell plowing deep into the ship- you need 4.5" of deck armor for that. Land one on a turret top and the opponent is GONE.

Yeah, it's going to be worth it to build one of these- it so outclasses the Blyat and the older B's that it's kind of insane and the sheer size of these guns will keep the ship viable for a long while even as it quickly becomes a glass cannon.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

quote:

Current states
Germany – Neutral
Britain – Friendly
Austria-Hungary – Hostile
France – Neutral
Italy – Neutral
Japan – Hostile
USA – Friendly.

Priority 1 – Budget
Priority 2 - Prestige.

quote:

British Boondoggle Act

To cement our new alliance, the navy is to procure at least 2 ships with at least 8 18" guns from the British

build an airship base
Aren't you sick and tired of having to rent hangar space at the Berlin aerodrome for your private airship? Aren't you sick and tired of having to leave your private rail car in Germany, of all places, while you're overseas? We must build an airship base as soon as possible so we may save ourselves the hassle of having to deal with the gauge changes at the German border! This must be our top priority!

I think we should just spend a little on another run of 8 home built destroyers with shitloads of torpedoes to keep replacing the old ones under the relevant act

I call it the destroyers with shitloads of torpedoes act

The two new ships are sent to the design board.

We commission an airbase in Riga.

January 1913

Productivity continues to increase.

We see a burst of breakthroughs, and I pre-empt BUORD by setting the heavier than air to high research priority, rather than waste a years research waiting for him to tell me to do it.

February 1913

The Troubles flare to breaking point in Ireland.

We can't even get the materials to build a destroy quickly!

March 1913

Longer ranged submarines are now available to us.

April 1913

We now enjoy airships to scout for out fleets in the Baltic sea.

The government, seeing the growth of the Kriegsmarine, scrabble to find us the money to build the
Ryska Sjön.

She's costly, but if we can get those 18” guns off the British, she will be worth it. I can run her for five months before I will have to do on/off building.

Germany and Britain continue to get more ships.

May 1913

This is such a large jump in size, and two tech levels (I'm not sure we had 900 ton destroyers) that I have to take it!

Germany is really going for the Corvettes.

June 1913

The British are already rebuilding their dreadnoughts.

July 1913

Our spies continue to bring in lots of useful information.

August 1913

Unsurprisingly, the British crush the Irish rebellion.

Our accuracy continues to improve.

The Germans have director firing as well.

September 1913

We learn the details of a new British Battlecruiser.

The Germans are upgrading their ships, and have a new dreadnought.

October 1913

We are neutral to Germany, so stay out of this one.

They expand their colonies.

This is fine.

November 1913

With tensions so high, either option will plunge us into war – so I take the option that gains us some prestige.

“Hey boss, we have better 10” guns now – do you think we need them?”

War Were Declared.

Having all our ships in reserve costs us the opening engagement of the war.

Time to go on a war footing.

The budget takes one hell of a hit, but we're ready to roll now.

December 1913

Shame I can't afford to expand them right now.

The blockade of Germany begins.

British ships join us as we ready for battle.

Two British battlecruisers, a heavy cruiser, two destroyers and.... the Royal Yacht with a adrenaline fuelled Tsar on board.....

One of the things is not like the others, one of these things just does not belong.

Night falls quickly and we do a tour of some German cities.

With the battle a draw, we soon find that the Germans are blockading US!

The budget is a mess, but at least there is no lingering threat of revolution.

With Britain on our side, we outnumber the German forces.

The new destroyers will be coming on line soon, but there is still going to have to be cuts to balance the budget - the Åsidosätta is the prime target. I renamed the destroyers after taking this screenshot.

Finally, here are the new research totals.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Grey, I've been just lurking, but I thought the winning design had director. The one you laid down was local fire control only.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Holy poo poo Germany has a gigantic loving navy.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Grey Hunter posted:

One of the things is not like the others, one of these things just does not belong.
Look at it! :3:

habeasdorkus posted:

Holy poo poo Germany has a gigantic loving navy.
I like how us edging out total tonnage is mostly thanks to us putting the heavy in heavy cruiser.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Dilber posted:

Grey, I've been just lurking, but I thought the winning design had director. The one you laid down was local fire control only.

Also it's overweight for some reason. I think you can add improved fire control before construction ends at least?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

sum posted:

Also it's overweight for some reason. I think you can add improved fire control before construction ends at least?

Also it has no BE or DE armor and doesn't have All or Nothing, which seems less than optimal.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Going back to the file I submitted, I definitely forgot to put on central firing. No idea why it doesn't have AoN, but I was able to get it to put it on by cranking the main gun caliber up and down. Very bizarre.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, the Teatime lost it's fire control in transitioning to Tea-off,, there seem to be some bugs with the ship designer.

Our budget situation is nowhere near as bad as I thought. A few months of on-off building and we should be fine.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

sum posted:

Going back to the file I submitted, I definitely forgot to put on central firing. No idea why it doesn't have AoN, but I was able to get it to put it on by cranking the main gun caliber up and down. Very bizarre.

I was going to say! Maybe an event will fire that adds the latest FC

Ahhh, grog games!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Haha, let's chalk it up to "lost in translation" and fix what we can before she's launched

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Doing some testing, I think the bug might be related to saving a design for a ship you're building in a foreign yard. Specifically, I think it took the director and AoN off the saved design because Russia hasn't invented them yet. I think this is something that could just be fixed by just editing some files later. (Or we could just keep it like it is, which is funnier)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Nonsense! There's a reason why we have zero unrest, and that's because everyone is rapt to our Tsar's exploits on the high seas! He is lucky the blockade avoids him, or he'd slay them all as if they were Ivan the Terrible's children and he were Ivan!

simplefish posted:

Haha, let's chalk it up to "lost in translation" and fix what we can before she's launched

Seconded

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

The new destroyers will be coming on line soon, but there is still going to have to be cuts to balance the budget - the Åsidosätta is the prime target. I renamed the destroyers after taking this screenshot.

This is uh quite a bold strategy when we're literally at war. :stonklol:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Do we need more submarines now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Comstar posted:

Do we need more submarines now?

We have 17, the Germans have 11 we don't know how many the British have. My opinion is that we should at least get the Kaputnik and the destroyers into the fight before we start another project; and we have more subs than they do for now at least.

Is Hainan within our invasion distance?