Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nothing like the good honest music we listened to when we were young, right? Can you even imagine if musicians in the 80's and 90s had hosed teenage fans? Luckily its only an issue with the genres of music I personally dislike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I don't think it's unreasonable to just say that all musicians are disgusting, degenerate creatures.

Except Weird Al Yankovich

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was an entire musical genre created so creeps could gently caress teenagers

Panic! At the Disco even have a song titled "It Was An Entire Musical Genre Created So Creeps Could gently caress Teenagers."

Brendon was such a treasure and then totally became the people he used to relentlessly mock lmao

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

rodbeard posted:

He was one of several artists popular in the mid 2000s transparently chasing trends as a way of picking up underage girls. He's pretty much the only one of the bunch that got brought to justice.
He took it a little bit further than just picking up teenagers. I don't think it's right to lump him in with everyone else in the scene maybe picking up 16 year olds.

He was a full on paedophile, this is the guy who's computer password was "ifuckkids".

Went to see the rest of the band a couple years ago playing at Reading fest. Felt a bit sorry for them all, poor bastards.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Lee Gaze used to be a regular customer at my café before the news broke. Really, really nice dude, had young kids that he obviously doted on, talked about going into a business partnership with us at one point cos he was bang into coffee.

We only saw him once after the news came out, about a week after. He looked absolutely haggard, drank an espresso without making eye-contact with anyone and left, never to return. We later found out he'd picked up the family and moved to the states permanently - basically cut off his old life entirely because every part of it was tainted after he found out about Watkins.

I still feel bad for the guy, tbh. Imagine finding that out about someone you worked with so closely for so long.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Jul 18, 2019

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
This seems like misplaced sympathy honestly. I never listened to this band but it's not really out of line for people to be suspicious of those who had a very close working relationship with a vicious pedo for years and years. I wouldn't want to associate with Ian Watkins' bandmates. I wouldn't want to be in the same room with them, the same way I wouldn't want to be near any of the people who quietly tolerated Jimmy Savile for years.

They recorded and toured with Ian Watkins as their frontman since 1997, and no one in the band had any inkling what was happening, at all? I don't buy that for a second.

The other band members aren't responsible for what this dude did, but I don't have any sympathy for them. They have a lot more money than anyone I've ever known, and their reputations aren't even all that damaged.

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Jul 18, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to just say that all musicians are disgusting, degenerate creatures.

That's what makes him weird.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Moaning Lisa has done the opposite of ageing poorly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Barry Foster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61xJNS3OHk

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

owns

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

This seems like misplaced sympathy honestly. I never listened to this band but it's not really out of line for people to be suspicious of those who had a very close working relationship with a vicious pedo for years and years. I wouldn't want to associate with Ian Watkins' bandmates. I wouldn't want to be in the same room with them, the same way I wouldn't want to be near any of the people who quietly tolerated Jimmy Savile for years.

They recorded and toured with Ian Watkins as their frontman since 1997, and no one in the band had any inkling what was happening, at all? I don't buy that for a second.

The other band members aren't responsible for what this dude did, but I don't have any sympathy for them. They have a lot more money than anyone I've ever known, and their reputations aren't even all that damaged.

100% this.

They’re all trying to pretend they never once saw him take back obviously underaged fans? They had literally no idea? Given what later came out about him, he sure as gently caress wasn’t hiding it. They’re liars.

They just kept quiet for the paycheck, for sure.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

quidditch it and quit it posted:

100% this.

They’re all trying to pretend they never once saw him take back obviously underaged fans? They had literally no idea? Given what later came out about him, he sure as gently caress wasn’t hiding it. They’re liars.

Ian Watkins was a lot worse than obviously underaged fans, too. He was grooming mothers of infant children to get access to them. The police received (and dismissed) plenty of reports from ex-fans making allegations, so it sounds like a known thing.

GEORGE W BUSHI has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Jul 18, 2019

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

SiKboy posted:

Nothing like the good honest music we listened to when we were young, right? Can you even imagine if musicians in the 80's and 90s had hosed teenage fans? Luckily its only an issue with the genres of music I personally dislike.

jokes on you i only listen to anime and game soundtracks

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

jokes on you i only listen to anime and game soundtracks

I have some bad news about your favorite video games.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

quidditch it and quit it posted:

100% this.

I'm going to try to phrase this post really carefully and it's not really a comment on the band's excusing his behaviour or not. Just a story from my perspective.

One of the two girls involved with the Watkins case was in my social circle, if not really someone I would call a friend. She dated several of my actual friends and took photographs at a lot of our shows (to head off anything there we're all about the same age). Everybody in our group, and while I'm taking people at their word here we have talked this over a lot since the news came to light and there's been nothing to suggest anyone is lying, was blindsided when this came to light. Totally hosed.

She was just a familiar face in our circle who unfortunately exaggerated a lot of things about her life over the years and while she did claim to be dating Watkins she never had any pics of him that couldn't be found on MySpace, he wasn't exactly just popping up to see her, it's not like there weren't a million girls all claiming the same thing having never met him etc. We all assumed it was 'smile politely and move on' level rubbish. Then we grew up, moved away, she had a kid, life went on, until finally it all came out.

I want to say I wish we would have been able to do something but what was there to do? As I said, we've talked it over a lot and all tried to see if we were missing anything but nobody was really that close with her that she would have let slip. I wish she had been able to tell someone before more people got hurt but I'm more worried that if she did she wouldn't have been believed. She ended up doing some pretty awful things herself; we don't intend to catch up with her for coffee when she gets out.

End of story. No moral. :shrug:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

I'm going to try to phrase this post really carefully and it's not really a comment on the band's excusing his behaviour or not. Just a story from my perspective.

One of the two girls involved with the Watkins case was in my social circle, if not really someone I would call a friend. She dated several of my actual friends and took photographs at a lot of our shows (to head off anything there we're all about the same age). Everybody in our group, and while I'm taking people at their word here we have talked this over a lot since the news came to light and there's been nothing to suggest anyone is lying, was blindsided when this came to light. Totally hosed.

She was just a familiar face in our circle who unfortunately exaggerated a lot of things about her life over the years and while she did claim to be dating Watkins she never had any pics of him that couldn't be found on MySpace, he wasn't exactly just popping up to see her, it's not like there weren't a million girls all claiming the same thing having never met him etc. We all assumed it was 'smile politely and move on' level rubbish. Then we grew up, moved away, she had a kid, life went on, until finally it all came out.

I want to say I wish we would have been able to do something but what was there to do? As I said, we've talked it over a lot and all tried to see if we were missing anything but nobody was really that close with her that she would have let slip. I wish she had been able to tell someone before more people got hurt but I'm more worried that if she did she wouldn't have been believed. She ended up doing some pretty awful things herself; we don't intend to catch up with her for coffee when she gets out.

I get what you’re saying (and it’s interesting to read something from someone close to the whole thing, so thank you), and I see how he could’ve hid it from people who weren’t in his very inner circle, but I struggle to believe that given how blatant he was (according to the press so maybe I’m misinformed) that his band mates never saw anything untoward.

I just find it impossible to believe he would’ve suddenly started loving older groupies when he thought people were watching, when he seemed to be very child-focused, and his bandmates had a vested interest in keeping quiet; Watkins wrote all the lyrics as far as my brief googling suggests, so would’ve got the majority of the payout for plays of their catalogue, and it appeared to be very much ‘his’ band as far as the public perception of the time. Without him, there would’ve probably been no Lostprophets.

I’m not trying to come off as contrary so apologies if it does, I just find the whole thing interesting because I thought he was a squeaky-clean pop-metal frontman and wow I could not have been more wrong.

quidditch it and quit it has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Jul 21, 2019

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The guy was hot for infants. There’s no rock band edginess in the world that could overlook that. If his goal was to be a ‘likes ‘em young’ early Bowie-Stones-Zepplin type guy he could have kept at it indefinitely, and his bandmates probably wouldn’t have cared even that much.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Torquemada posted:

The guy was hot for infants. There’s no rock band edginess in the world that could overlook that. If his goal was to be a ‘likes ‘em young’ early Bowie-Stones-Zepplin type guy he could have kept at it indefinitely, and his bandmates probably wouldn’t have cared even that much.

Much of society still has that fascination with claiming those 14-17 girls are just seductive harlots with loose morals.

Doesnt matter if they guy is a 50 year old judge or a 30 year old band singer, people generally fall to the side of "those girls are just causing problems" and everyone looks the other way.

Otoh I can't imagine any context where the bandmates were ever involved in conversations or discussions where the topic of having sex with babies came up and they passed it off as no big deal. People would freak out from so much as a hint it was real.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
He was mentally ill in a bad way. But most mentally ill people can hide it for awhile.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

darkwasthenight posted:

I think you did not see any red flags because on subconscious level you didn't want to see anything. I was in a situation where an acquaintance was caught up in a pedophile sting and sent to prison. Everyone who was close to him seemed genuinely shocked, but people that knew him but weren't close to him had known for years he was a huge creep.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

rodbeard posted:

I think you did not see any red flags because on subconscious level you didn't want to see anything. I was in a situation where an acquaintance was caught up in a pedophile sting and sent to prison. Everyone who was close to him seemed genuinely shocked, but people that knew him but weren't close to him had known for years he was a huge creep.

I mean I personally didn't see any red flags because we rarely interacted outside the context of live music and larger groups so I'm comfortable enough there thanks, but I suspect there wouldn't have been much to see anyway. She was just an average teenager prone to exaggerating her boring life and occasionally a bit stalkerish in the way teenage girls can get.

Looking back I would say she got into an relationship with an experienced manipulator at a young age and subsequently became an abuser alongside him after years of it being normalised in their dynamic. No excuses made for her at all.

In comparison there was a genuine creep in our circle at the time who got cut out quickly after people started to twig and there was very little surprise when he was later jailed for sex crimes. The main surprise was that it was against a horse and not a woman, but the actual sex crime part was fairly expected.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, change of subject kinda.

Can we all agree Barney Stinson is a serial sexual predator?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, change of subject kinda.

Can we all agree Barney Stinson is a serial sexual predator?

The show itself is pretty clear on that one. It's never been up for debate.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Every character in himym is a horrible person. Ted is a creepy self obsessed weirdo, Barney is a sexmonster, Lilly is manipulative and selfish, Marshall is also selfish and easily manipulated, Robin loves guns

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

The last episode should have revealed that Ted was in a futuristic Face/Off-style prison talking to his kids through bulletproof glass. It wouldn't have made the show any better but at least justice would have been done.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Please tell me that's in the new kickstarted documentary.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I love Keeping Up Appearances, but any episode involving the Major just ends up being cringey and uncomfortable. It doesn't help that the sequences where the Major "catches" Hyacinth always seem to go on ages and ages. Yeah, the show derives most of its humor from the characters' discomfort, but in 2019 it doesn't ring as funny as it may have 30 years ago.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

I love Keeping Up Appearances, but any episode involving the Major just ends up being cringey and uncomfortable. It doesn't help that the sequences where the Major "catches" Hyacinth always seem to go on ages and ages. Yeah, the show derives most of its humor from the characters' discomfort, but in 2019 it doesn't ring as funny as it may have 30 years ago.

Its main source of humor, of course, is Hyacinth's best-laid plans going catastrophically awry. Sometimes it's the good stuff, like Onslow, Daisy and Rose. Sometimes, it's stuff that's aged poorly, such as the Major. Or Daddy's senility (with penchant for nudity) or Bruce cross-dressing. The Major is doubly cringy in that Hyacinth knows he's a creep, but in the grand tradition of English manners, would rather put up with him than risk ruffling feathers.

At least Violet has room for a pony.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pieces of Peace posted:

Please tell me that's in the new kickstarted documentary.

It's not but they dropped it like three days ago randomly. It is from the original run.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Krispy Wafer posted:

He was mentally ill in a bad way. But most mentally ill people can hide it for awhile.

Before we move on, I just want to make a point of calling out this post.

Paedophilia is not a mental illness. Mental Illness is a real thing and I'm loving sick of people using it to describe people like Watkins.

I've had a serious mental illness my entire life and somehow have managed not to gently caress a toddler or shoot up a school.

He's a criminal, and a calculated prick who knew exactly what he was doing. He's not mentally ill

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Before we move on, I just want to make a point of calling out this post.

Paedophilia is not a mental illness. Mental Illness is a real thing and I'm loving sick of people using it to describe people like Watkins.

I've had a serious mental illness my entire life and somehow have managed not to gently caress a toddler or shoot up a school.

He's a criminal, and a calculated prick who knew exactly what he was doing. He's not mentally ill

I get that. I felt weird even writing it because it does lump paedophilia in with a lot of other conditions, but apparently it is classified as a mental disorder. There's another side that wants to catalog it as a sexual preference,, but that runs the risk of normalizing it. I'm not going to get into a debate about it because I honestly don't know what the correct answer is. No offense intended with the post. We probably need a 3rd classification just for them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get that. I felt weird even writing it because it does lump paedophilia in with a lot of other conditions, but apparently it is classified as a mental disorder. There's another side that wants to catalog it as a sexual preference,, but that runs the risk of normalizing it. I'm not going to get into a debate about it because I honestly don't know what the correct answer is. No offense intended with the post. We probably need a 3rd classification just for them.

There are actually lots of different classifications for mental illnesses already, not just two.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

The thing about sexual preference doesn't mean you have to do it. I mean I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to gently caress horses, but not all of them become MR. Hands

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
From all I've read about Watkins he strikes me less as a regular pedophile (someone who lost the brain lottery and chose to or not to harm children) and more as a sadistic gently caress who was into whatever he could control more and inflict more pain on. Like dude was also into bestiality so he probably got turned on by the helplessness.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I remember hearing somewhere that most abusers aren't even pedophiles and it's just a power thing most of the time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
A lot of it is still a mystery because good luck getting funding to study pedophiles.

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
NBC managed to focus group Star Trek just fine??

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Felonious_Monk posted:

NBC managed to focus group Star Trek just fine??

Star Trek is studied By Paedophiles, not a study Of Paedophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Hattie Masters posted:

Star Trek is studied By Paedophiles, not a study Of Paedophiles.

Sure about that?