Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

looks like the book frame has two distinct rows besides the main text box. the lighter, top one is for cost, the second...? The name of the ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Look Around You posted:

I agree, but what else do you do on an uncommon for 5GG?

destroy up to 3 target bears

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Look Around You posted:

I agree, but what else do you do on an uncommon for 5GG?

~ gains deathtouch and fights up to two target creatures you don't control. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~ for each creature that dies this way

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

~ gains deathtouch and fights up to two target creatures you don't control. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~ for each creature that dies this way

Can’t be fights on a 1/2 though. Maybe deals damage equal to its power though. May be three target creatures to stay on theme :v:

e: i guess it could be fights but that's a really expensive removal spell then.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 21, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
you may eat target opponents lunch and sleep in target opponents bed

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So are Will and Rowan this planes versions of Hansel and Gretel?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to see what Gingerbread Man and Little Mermaid do.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Can't wait to see what Gingerbread Man and Little Mermaid do.

Lets be real, Gingerbread man is like 1R 3/1 haste

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Bigger question is what dual lands do we get?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Look Around You posted:

Betting Goldilocks just makes three 2/2 green bear creature tokens somehow.

The bears have to be different sizes!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
From a few pages back:

Pepper Crab posted:

Personally, I think it's great, because the rarest cards are just fancier versions of the same cards that exist at lower levels, and they will hold back one rarity level on a lot of important cards to print as promos that come in tins and boxes. It goes a long way towards keeping the game affordable for people who just want to play and don't care about having the most expensive version of every card in their deck.

I will say that Pokémon promo products are great for table games (like my wife and I play) and we can often find them for huge (50%+) discounts at Target when they are trying to dump old stock. Also Pokémon foils and print quality are much higher quality than Magic.

Also two rules questions:
1. Theoretically, could a snow permanent participate in convoking to pay a snow mana cost? (Not that there are any permanents with snow costs and also convoke).
2. Darksteel Garrison falls off Arixmethes when it’s a creature because it is no longer a land after all slumber counters are gone, correct? The Garrison would stay on most man-lands though because those usually state “It’s still a land” though?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just want to know gingerbread mans type

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Pastry Elemental

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pulcinella posted:

1. Theoretically, could a snow permanent participate in convoking to pay a snow mana cost? (Not that there are any permanents with snow costs and also convoke).
2. Darksteel Garrison falls off Arixmethes when it’s a creature because it is no longer a land after all slumber counters are gone, correct? The Garrison would stay on most man-lands though because those usually state “It’s still a land” though?

For 1, no: you are not paying mana with convoke. Instead, you are tapping a creature of the correct color. Since "snow" isn't a color, and the convoke is not actually generating mana, if you somehow gave a snow permanent convoke you would still need to actually pay the snow costs.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Elyv posted:

so people don't have to click through,

E: also that is the fancy promo frame, here's the regular frame

goldilocks looks loaded for bear

Wizards leaked the name of the card with their html by the way.

its Flaxen Intruder and the set abbreviation is ELD

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

literally a hog posted:

Wizards leaked the name of the card with their html by the way.

its Flaxen Intruder and the set abbreviation is ELD

Flaxen Intruder is an A+ name.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

meanolmrcloud posted:

Lol at trying to explain to anyone what you can get in one of the 15 available booster packs at your local store.

I bet stores are gonna have the problem they used to have with Event Decks where there was one good value deck and one crap deck, but stores could only get them as a display case with 5 of each deck, so they'd have piles of the unsold bad decks kicking around. Except this'll end up being worse with multiple products per set where it's like boxes of five different color-themed boosters and only one or two of them have the rares people actually want.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Speaking as a filthy casual who hasn't played paper in many years, the theme boosters just remind me that I miss the old theme decks, because pulling something off the shelf to mess around with whatever was going on in the new set without having to get back into actually collecting cards beyond that (or drafting, or deck construction) was a fun way to spend an afternoon, and if they had something like that for this new set I'd be all over it. Planeswalker decks don't really scratch the same itch imo, and there are obviously fewer outside of the core sets anyway. I guess guild kits are a good option, but the theme of the new set is what's really appealing to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

New canon: Flaxen Intruder is the killer of Mother Bear

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 21, 2019

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

The gingerbread man will be unlockable because you can't catch him.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Elyv posted:

I looked closer at the art of the fancy promo one

goldilocks is going to murder some bears

What y'all are missing with Goldilocks is that they got Omar Rayyan making art again for the first time since Shadowmoor.

Maybe we will see Rebecca Guay (or Adam Rex or Larry MacDougall) return in this set as well.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 21, 2019

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
if there's a set for guay it's this one

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Entropic posted:

I bet stores are gonna have the problem they used to have with Event Decks where there was one good value deck and one crap deck, but stores could only get them as a display case with 5 of each deck, so they'd have piles of the unsold bad decks kicking around. Except this'll end up being worse with multiple products per set where it's like boxes of five different color-themed boosters and only one or two of them have the rares people actually want.

The theme packs are an aggressively bad value and meant to sit in Walmart and Target. 35 cards, 1 rare per pack. They exist for kids who want the experience of getting all the draft chaff at the end of a night.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

President Ark posted:

if there's a set for guay it's this one

if there's a QAnon planeswalker this could be a great set for nielsen as well

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The bears have to be different sizes!

Flaxen intruder is going to make a 1/1, a 2/2, and a 3/3 for sure.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Flaxen intruder is going to make a 1/1, a 2/2, and a 3/3 for sure.

Best guess so far

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

6/6 worth of stats on a (probably) one time ability for 7 seems like a fair rate. There's no way they would make them all 2/2 which is cute, but the different sizes is even better.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Look at all those dead bears.

Flaxen Intruder is going to be a 3/2 that fights when it comes into play, but if a creature would deal 2 damage to her, prevent that damage instead.

Cause it's juuuuuuust right

I have no idea what the second cost could be. Maybe make bears or something

e: I'm bad and I missed the post where she was already given a stat block on the fancier art. My bad.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 21, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Drewjitsu posted:

6/6 worth of stats on a (probably) one time ability for 7 seems like a fair rate. There's no way they would make them all 2/2 which is cute, but the different sizes is even better.

My money is on 2/2s only since it’s the quintessential bear, and doesn’t necessitate printing three different token slots for one card

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Devor posted:

My money is on 2/2s only since it’s the quintessential bear, and doesn’t necessitate printing three different token slots for one card

It could make three of the same kind of token, but have one of the bears ETB with a -1/-1 counter and another with a +1/+1 counter, if they don't still get a case of the vapors at having both kinds of counters in the same set

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

G 1/2(this part seems known and loses to a fight with a bear)
5GG ~ gets +5/+5 ueot and fights up to 3 target creatures

my one hesitation with all of our ideas is that I don't really understand why this needs a new frame

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Elyv posted:

G 1/2(this part seems known and loses to a fight with a bear)
5GG ~ gets +5/+5 ueot and fights up to 3 target creatures

my one hesitation with all of our ideas is that I don't really understand why this needs a new frame

my favorite theory i've seen is that it's basically a split card where one half is a creature and the other half (the storybook) is a spell

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m very excited that after years of Magic going to grim and sombre places it is now travelling to a place with a gingerbread house.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am hoping that Rhystic Studies makes a sequel to his video on the history of card frames, there's enough material in this one set alone for him to make another half hour probably

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It isn't brothers grimm but I hope there's a card about scooping up the field mice and bopping the on the head. Maybe something that gives -1/-1 to opposing creatures.

And a grind their bones to make bread card

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

President Ark posted:

my favorite theory i've seen is that it's basically a split card where one half is a creature and the other half (the storybook) is a spell

My wild theory is each half is "good ending"/"bad ending". I have no basis for this other than grimms fairytales are usually cautionary tales, while the toned down versions we are more accustomed to end on a much more upbeat note.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

I've been thinking about that too, and wondering how it's different from an activated ability. Unless the left-hand spell can be cast on its own and maybe also puts the creature onto the battlefield as part of its resolution?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

vegetables posted:

I’m very excited that after years of Magic going to grim and sombre places it is now travelling to a place with a gingerbread house.

it's going to a grimm place tho

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

it's going to a grimm place tho

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It makes me think of Level Up, except it looks like the cost is all at once rather than incremental. 5GG is the cost to level her up (or "turn the page" in this case) into something that can kill three bears.