Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
The best thing about flying is being able to type and check your phone when traveling between missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The thing about Super Speed is that no matter how fast you run, you're going to get stuck on every last little piece of decorative geometry, awkwardly placed mob, fence, wall, ramp, whatever while Fly lets you just point in a direction and go. SS gets its stealth component, but with Fly you can just bypass mobs entirely if you need to. And it's not like people don't commonly grab Combat Jumping to augment Super Speed either.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like base AB is fast enough for most things. Also, AB can take a LOTG + recharge IO so it's not a waste in most builds.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I feel like base AB is fast enough for most things. Also, AB can take a LOTG + recharge IO so it's not a waste in most builds.

Yeah, I just have an IO in fly and one in AB and I already tend to be the first to the mission.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the reason you six-slot fly+ab is because flying insanely fast feels good

ab is a cool design but I find it kind of annoying to use. like, it gives you affects_self so you HAVE to toggle it off before you can fight, and it doesn't pop off when you switch to Hover, etc

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My main has been sticking with Beast Run because it's thematic, boosted by whichever prestige sprint feels right on the given day. I actually sprang for Rocket Board when I decided I wanted flight. Finally, at 22, I got Super Speed, just for the stealth benefits so I could stop getting shot in the back from a block away because I ran slightly too close to a mugging. Other characters have had a couple slots added to Hover to boost the defense buff, which feels like wasted slots given how small the buff is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i turn off flight anyways when im fighting cuz i dont like the way the controls get all floaty, definitely gonna try out ab if i find the chance now

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I bound hover and fly to shift and ctrl so I can just tab between them as appropriate. AB does kinda gently caress with that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

not to double post but just to be clear, you can have AB on with no flight powers active, it literally doesn't turn off automatically for any reason. and thus if you've bound a key to toggle between hover and fly (as many of us have done) then ab requires you to use a second bind or else manually click it off

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dareon posted:

Other characters have had a couple slots added to Hover to boost the defense buff, which feels like wasted slots given how small the buff is.

Generally isn't worth it, no. Maybe if you've done the number crunching and realize that a few slots in Hover or Combat Jumping will inch you over the softcap, but at that point you could probably do the same by throwing some more IO sets into the mix.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unless it's for theme/concept, I always take Combat Jumping, Super Jump, and Super Speed. SJ+SS to travel, CJ+SS in missions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thank you, goons, who helped me in Discord the other day, but the code and write stuff needed to get this game and the launcher up and running are not for me. I was under the impression it would be really simple to install and get running.

Oh well, thanks regardless.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Thank you, goons, who helped me in Discord the other day, but the code and write stuff needed to get this game and the launcher up and running are not for me. I was under the impression it would be really simple to install and get running.

Oh well, thanks regardless.

Are you trying to set up your own private server? Setting that up might be hard, but DLing/playing on Homecoming is super easy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brave New World posted:

Are you trying to set up your own private server? Setting that up might be hard, but DLing/playing on Homecoming is super easy.

Nah, I was looking at joining the goon server. A goon linked me to all the stuff about Tequila since I've never played CoX and it looked too complicated - I've messed up my computer before messing with stuff like that, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Don't you just download and run tequila and it literally dls the entire game right into the folder

E: oh the goon server. Haven't messed with that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Cythereal posted:

Nah, I was looking at joining the goon server. A goon linked me to all the stuff about Tequila since I've never played CoX and it looked too complicated - I've messed up my computer before messing with stuff like that, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

Don’t bother with the goon server imo, most people are on the Homecoming server unless something changed a lot in the past couple weeks. You just have to download tequila and sign up for an account on their forums and it Just Works

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I hope the homecoming devs make their improvements available somewhere. If this server goes down, it’d be nice to be able to jump onto another server that pops up with these various improvements.

Though at least the other servers will likely still be I24.

Of course, here’s to hoping this one just stays up. Never know when the legality boils down to “not worth going after” though.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

uncurable mlady posted:

Don’t bother with the goon server imo, most people are on the Homecoming server unless something changed a lot in the past couple weeks. You just have to download tequila and sign up for an account on their forums and it Just Works

Counterpoint: do bother with the goon server. None of these things are exclusive and if one goes down, not so big of a deal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Got the Homecoming server working, and made it out of the tutorial with a dark melee/willpower scrapper.

A couple newbie questions:

1. Is grinding expected in this game? I finished the first leg of my first proper mission (killing five hellions) and now it's sending me after their leader who's in territory that seems to be populated with level 5 mobs. Should I just run around Atlas Park beating up various mobs, or is there something I'm expected to do in between?

2. Where do I get more enhancements? The tutorial gave me two damage enhancements, but what I'm noticing is my bigger problem is accuracy. I notice when a smite or shadow maul misses. Or is this something I just have to live with and shouldn't worry about for the time being?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there will be grinding later on, but imo go to the p2w vendor around the corner from ms liberty and pick up an hour or maybe two of 50% xp booster to make the first couple levels a bit quicker, but not so quick as to immediately outlevel all the atlas park stuff. but yeah, just beat up some mob groups on the way to your quest and you should get through the first few levels pretty quick

i wouldnt sweat enhancements until youre like level at 10 at minimum, maybe even 15 depending on how fast youre running through leveling, because the single digit level training stuff barely gives you anything stat wise, just sell off the junk you pick up and stack your money and once you hit that there are dealers right next to ms liberty who sell them

site fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 21, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cythereal posted:

1. Is grinding expected in this game?

if you play it the normal way, kind of, yeah. XP boosters will help, so will prestige powers, which you get from the P2W vendor. note that the P2W vendor being named the P2W vendor, is a joke, all their stuff is either free or costs normal in-game money to buy. there's ways to skip through the early levels way faster than you're doing, but if it's your first time playing, you should probably do it the normal way

Cythereal posted:

2. Where do I get more enhancements?

you can get a blob of five damage ones for free from the P2W vendor. personally, I just kind of tough it out until 27, and then make myself 30 IOs, but nothing about this sentence is useful to you. instead, now is a good time to learn that accuracy in this game is influenced by your level relative to the target. like, that affects it almost as much as powers, particularly if they're three or four levels up on you. and IIRC Lieutenant and Boss enemies do count as having "bonus" levels over their actual stated level.

if you really want to get a bunch of accuracy enhancements in there, you can find them at the red-and-white Freedom Phalanx trainers who should be near Ms. Liberty.

I'll also say that the low-level gameplay is one of the game's worst problems, everything up to 20 is effectively an extended character creation sequence. the game gets loads easier when you finally have enough powers to have an entire rotation to work through instead of standing around waiting for cooldowns to clear, when you finally have all the different armor toggles you're supposed to have, etc.

Tarragon
Sep 30, 2013

Cythereal posted:

1. Is grinding expected in this game? I finished the first leg of my first proper mission (killing five hellions) and now it's sending me after their leader who's in territory that seems to be populated with level 5 mobs. Should I just run around Atlas Park beating up various mobs, or is there something I'm expected to do in between?

Instanced missions are automatically adjusted to your level, just avoid the higher-level mobs on your way to the mission door.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tarragon posted:

Instanced missions are automatically adjusted to your level, just avoid the higher-level mobs on your way to the mission door.

Where would I get instanced missions?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
those are the missions contacts will sometimes (but not always) hand out that say they are in warehouses, buildings, the sewers, etc

Tarragon
Sep 30, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Where would I get instanced missions?

If it's not a "Defeat x number of y villains", it's usually instanced. Just go after that Hellion leader, you'll be fine.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Atlas Park became a lovely attempt at mirroring other theme park games so there's a bunch of missions that look like instances but aren't. I think Hellion leaders might be one but it shouldn't be in a zone full of level 5 mobs.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The Matthew Habershy arc in Atlas Park is like this wonky implementation of "instanced" sub zones that honestly doesn't really work for CoH and doesn't inform you of how the majority of the game works (cleanly instanced indoor zones from a single entrance point generated upon entry)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Merilan posted:

The Matthew Habershy arc in Atlas Park is like this wonky implementation of "instanced" sub zones that honestly doesn't really work for CoH and doesn't inform you of how the majority of the game works (cleanly instanced indoor zones from a single entrance point generated upon entry)

yeah I really loathe that part, but mainly because I got way too much of it in Champions lol. that said the hellions leader one from habashy is definitely an instance

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Figured it out. It was an instanced thing, from Azuria, the door just happened to be in a level 5 area.

What should I prioritize as I continue to level - picking up a new power set (I'm thinking Flight for getting around), or continuing to fill out my combat powers?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
theres no reason to put off taking a travel power at 4, youll get your next power in 15min anyways

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Cythereal posted:

Figured it out. It was an instanced thing, from Azuria, the door just happened to be in a level 5 area.

What should I prioritize as I continue to level - picking up a new power set (I'm thinking Flight for getting around), or continuing to fill out my combat powers?

if you don't feel like you have enough powers to fight with in combat pick up more attacks, that said a travel power is great fun and one of the biggest joys of roaming around coh so I definitely recommend one no later than 14 even just to experience what it's like

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dareon posted:

Also I've just started getting DO enhancements in drops, and as a tech hero, it seems a little odd to be enhancing my wolves by giving them grenades.

Update: I didn't do much with SOs, but I got a good one from a drop, and now in addition to grenades, my wolves have concealed cybernetic guns.

Doon
May 4, 2005
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
I entered my energy/rad brute named Captain Colorblind into a costume contest. I'm sure he just lost due to a misunderstanding.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm not sure if I was just not doing it right or something, but only now that I'm on the late 20 levels and have 6 slotted all my main attacks with 2end/2recharge/2acc does war mace not play like poo poo

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

site posted:

I'm not sure if I was just not doing it right or something, but only now that I'm on the late 20 levels and have 6 slotted all my main attacks with 2end/2recharge/2acc does war macecity of heroes not play like poo poo

it takes a while to really get going

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

site posted:

I'm not sure if I was just not doing it right or something, but only now that I'm on the late 20 levels and have 6 slotted all my main attacks with 2end/2recharge/2acc does war mace not play like poo poo

You may want to consider adding some actual damage to your attacks at some point soon also.
If your attack uses under 10end maybe 2 acc/1 rch/3 dmg
Over 10end maybe 1acc/1end/1rch/3dmg
If you have hasten you can generally ignore the recharges until you get into sets.
If your toggles are end heavy maybe toss in 2 end to give yourself more for attacks.
And as always supplement with inspirations.
Or take a look at a set and see what they do.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

LordSaturn posted:

it takes a while to really get going

I guess that's true, but with the slow attack speed and the huge end drain per attack it just felt like a huge slog compared to my other characters

^^^ right now, now that they actually hit and I can use them at a good clip, the wm attacks seem to do quite a bit a damage on their own. I'm not concerned with that at the moment. And yes I already have 3 slotted haste, I do that for every character

site fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 23, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

havin a normal one

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

site posted:

I guess that's true, but with the slow attack speed and the huge end drain per attack it just felt like a huge slog compared to my other characters

^^^ right now, now that they actually hit and I can use them at a good clip, the wm attacks seem to do quite a bit a damage on their own. I'm not concerned with that at the moment. And yes I already have 3 slotted haste, I do that for every character

Thats fine, and certainly play how you like, but just know that with 3 damage slotted you will be doing twice the damage with each attack as before.
You might not be hitting as fast but they'll still likely be dying sooner.
Even 1 or 2 will be faster than none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe I'll give it a shot when i can move up to lvl35 enhancements, but for now I'm finding not waiting around on cooldowns for basic attacks is making it actually fun to play

site fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 23, 2019