Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

zfleeman posted:

Heyyyyy doing more goon level streaming for an hour/hour and a half.

http://twitch.tv/zfleeman

drat it, I keep missing these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

The Lobster posted:

Congrats and boo on not getting any clothing for a gold medal or presumably 10,000 Maker Points. What am I even doing with my life, then?

Chasing that sweet, sweet spiked gold.

Also presumably they got the outfit for a regular gold medal from another category already, because there's definitely an outfit for each medal: both the standard ones and the global top 3s.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

DalaranJ posted:

drat it, I keep missing these.

Probably more my fault for not streaming more than 1.5 hours. It was a good one, though! I may be on later tonight.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Violen posted:

Chasing that sweet, sweet spiked gold.

Also presumably they got the outfit for a regular gold medal from another category already, because there's definitely an outfit for each medal: both the standard ones and the global top 3s.

Oh, is it just for any gold medal? I guess I got it from the weekly leaderboard then.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wow, 300+ levels in easy endless now places you at around 11000.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Wow, 300+ levels in easy endless now places you at around 11000.

The top guy has played 17,254 easy levels as of this post.

e:99th place has 2,935 easy courses.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 21, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So I fixed Topsy-Turvy to not go in and out with the music on the Topsy-Turvy part and I think Nintendo shouldn't have us re-clear stages if we're just adding sound effects. I didn't have trouble re-clearing it, but I've had to fix effects on several levels now, and when that's the only thing that's changed I don't think they should need to be re-cleared, at the very least. Maybe not even have their code change and lose all their likes/comments, if that would be possible? Effects don't actually "affect" a level.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, with the vertical sublevels, mountain climbing stages were kind of an obvious way to go and I've encountered a few of them. However, I decided to go over the top with this one. I hope you like challenges because it's time to climb

Mount Mario
LNH-KT6-B0G
(That makes the name of the mountain M2 :v: )

The goal here was a stage where it wasn't crazy difficult at any individual moment but it would still feel like a big accomplishment when you reach the top. So I was targeting the high end of expert/low end of super expert difficulty with it. This one is likely looking down the barrel of a 2% clear rate. I would have put in more checkpoints, but the system just doesn't allow for it.

FWIW, there's no jump that requires bouncing on enemies, but I put a few enemies in to make the nastiest jumps easier(?) if people want to use them. The base jumping goombas are just decoration but I hope that some enterprising player bounces off them to skip sections of the level for the world record.

I really tried to find a way to have one of the camp checkpoint areas include a tent with two bottles of vodka as provisions, but I couldn't figure out anything that would stand in for something that crazy.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The Lobster posted:

So I fixed Topsy-Turvy to not go in and out with the music on the Topsy-Turvy part and I think Nintendo shouldn't have us re-clear stages if we're just adding sound effects. I didn't have trouble re-clearing it, but I've had to fix effects on several levels now, and when that's the only thing that's changed I don't think they should need to be re-cleared, at the very least. Maybe not even have their code change and lose all their likes/comments, if that would be possible? Effects don't actually "affect" a level.

Not true in dark levels, some effects light up the whole screen.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

Not true in dark levels, some effects light up the whole screen.

What I mean is, changing effects doesn't change the level itself.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The Lobster posted:

What I mean is, changing effects doesn't change the level itself.

Yeah, but my point was a person could use a flash effect to play their dark level, then delete them all so nobody else had the same advantage.

It's kind of moot since the designed the stage to begin with, though. :sweatdrop:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yeah, but my point was a person could use a flash effect to play their dark level, then delete them all so nobody else had the same advantage.

It's kind of moot since the designed the stage to begin with, though. :sweatdrop:

Ah, I guess that's true!

Hey DalaranJ, I have a problem on the spreadsheet. When I submitted Topsy-Turvy Caves, I had to choose between "The moon is beautiful" and "The sun is even more beautiful." I went with the sun because the overworld is day, but my sublevel is night... was that right? I mean, technically the gimmick of my level is the sublevel...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Got up to work on a stage earlier and was surprised by a notification saying my last course had been played 500 times.

I guess it got on popular courses for a little bit, which I assume must work on a queue somewhat. Regardless it boosted me over 5700 points and I even get a tacky bronze medal for my profile now.

Vindication :unsmith:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Got up to work on a stage earlier and was surprised by a notification saying my last course had been played 500 times.

I guess it got on popular courses for a little bit, which I assume must work on a queue somewhat. Regardless it boosted me over 5700 points and I even get a tacky bronze medal for my profile now.

Congrats!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Internet Kraken posted:

Congratulations! If you're up over 5700 points you're well on the leaderboard and won't need to worry about falling off as long as you keep getting a couple of likes and maybe a comment or two a day.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I worked tirelessly on this

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay, I'm doing some https://randomactsofmario.com/ and playing goon levels:

Sky Tram!
8LD-FXX-5PF
By: Straight White Shark

Not bad, but I noticed that starting from the midpoint resulted in the player having only half the territory that they did if they start from the beginning. I kept trying to break out of the tram and find a line to carry me forward ahead of things.

Climb Vines, Duck Bills
GCY-B1K-QQF
By: Szmitten

It's a good standard level, so I don't have a lot to say. I did spend time chasing the bills and bouncing out of bounds with them.

Down Unda
1HL-D06-GVF
By: cheesetriangles

Another standard level without a lot for me to comment on. People needed to do fewer effectively competent basic levels so I'll have more things to say.

Green (Pipe) Greens
8VG-46Y-XRF
By: Looper

I like the slingshot jump you have but the pipe sections that you name the level after are all kind of bland. It felt like you had two designers here, the person who did the opening segment which was pretty good and the person who did the pipes section which was just okay.

Through The Woods and Sewer
8J9-XG5-0MG
By: Iceman2343

Cool stage. I felt like the boss fights were a bit much, though.

Space Station Vexation
LWJ-6Q2-0XG
By: Plebian Parasite

I wound up not completing this stage. Floating constantly through the maze was exhausting and it was three minutes of the stage before I reached the point where I found it difficult.

Cursed P Switch in the Woods
S6X-6GD-SVF
By: lol 10 bux

You've got one gimmick, but it works pretty well. My solution was not to race the p-switch, it was to get to the end, use the pipe switch to clear the bricks, then go back through the entrance tunnel to reset the chain chomps.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yo DalaranJ, can you delete the first entry for Mansion of Dr. Bones (old code 12J-2JB-YQG)?

I tweaked it a bit (namely eliminating a softlock and adding some more clues for a puzzle) and reuploaded the new code to the spreadsheet.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
what decides your levels upload picture

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zand posted:

what decides your levels upload picture

What's on screen when you hit the upload button. It save the level when you do that and the thumbnail for saves works based on that.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

So, with the vertical sublevels, mountain climbing stages were kind of an obvious way to go and I've encountered a few of them. However, I decided to go over the top with this one. I hope you like challenges because it's time to climb

Mount Mario
LNH-KT6-B0G
(That makes the name of the mountain M2 :v: )

The goal here was a stage where it wasn't crazy difficult at any individual moment but it would still feel like a big accomplishment when you reach the top. So I was targeting the high end of expert/low end of super expert difficulty with it. This one is likely looking down the barrel of a 2% clear rate. I would have put in more checkpoints, but the system just doesn't allow for it.

FWIW, there's no jump that requires bouncing on enemies, but I put a few enemies in to make the nastiest jumps easier(?) if people want to use them. The base jumping goombas are just decoration but I hope that some enterprising player bounces off them to skip sections of the level for the world record.

I really tried to find a way to have one of the camp checkpoint areas include a tent with two bottles of vodka as provisions, but I couldn't figure out anything that would stand in for something that crazy.

This was a really good level. I wish I had some insights for you into what works and what doesn't, but the things that aggravated me weren't so much unfair as they were par for the course.

The only thing that felt truly off to me was the goombrat, because he changes behaviors when he hits the blue platform. (He goes from patrolling the hill to just the platform.) Other than that, it felt like you knew what you were getting into pretty much the whole way through. I definitely appreciated the base camps.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh and heres the new level code for this thing

The Mansion of Dr. Bones (rev. B)
GB3-R4Y-9QG

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

The only thing that felt truly off to me was the goombrat, because he changes behaviors when he hits the blue platform. (He goes from patrolling the hill to just the platform.) Other than that, it felt like you knew what you were getting into pretty much the whole way through. I definitely appreciated the base camps.

Yeah, I discovered that behavior change myself as I was building the level and that made me tone that part way down and add a power up right after it. If you've been playing well, you could reach that part with a fire flower which trivializes it, but the avalanche before it is the most difficult part of the level. Which is why there's just two of them and one of them will likely reach the blue platform while the player is still evaluating the change in scenes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's a level I finished up this afternoon.

Prickly Plantation: XW2-8DC-BMF

Explore an old farm full of lots of spikey things. Features a lot of flat terrain, which was interesting trying to find a way to create engaging gameplay around. Not a terribly long or hard level but you might have some fun with it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Spellman posted:

I can believe it, this level was huuuge! I had fun working my way through it, though, once I got used to the fact that there's a lot in here you don't necessarily need to interact with. It was fun to fool around and find different ways to collect the coins and play with the powerups. Good stuff!

e: Sorry about the 11 minute first clear, I hope that doesn't scare and randos off. :ohdear:

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 22, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Explore an old farm full of lots of spikey things. Features a lot of flat terrain, which was interesting trying to find a way to create engaging gameplay around. Not a terribly long or hard level but you might have some fun with it.

This one might be harder than you think seeing as it's already firmly in expert level clear rate. It was good don't get me wrong, but I got hit by random spiney needles several times and hit those spikes that are blended into the vines a few times as well. Power-ups were also hidden off the critical path which probably contributes to the lower clear rate, but I liked that you hid a bonus starman in the level. That's practically unheard of in Mario Maker!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I wish there was some playlist feature or level lists that I could queue up. I know I can do endless but I’d love a curated list of levels that just flows

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1153115591152230400

This week's jam is based off an RPG jam we did on the forums a couple years ago.
The theme is "Mario Mixtape" which is to say, you should make a course based off the name of a song, or it's theme.

Control Volume posted:

Yo DalaranJ, can you delete the first entry for Mansion of Dr. Bones (old code 12J-2JB-YQG)?

I tweaked it a bit (namely eliminating a softlock and adding some more clues for a puzzle) and reuploaded the new code to the spreadsheet.

Yeah, I got it. I heard this level is a must try.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 22, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I wish there was some playlist feature or level lists that I could queue up. I know I can do endless but I’d love a curated list of levels that just flows

yeah i mean i'm sure nintendo's working on an accompanying app and some dlc, but this is really what would turn the game into something great for me

Spellman
May 31, 2011

NofrikinfuN posted:

I can believe it, this level was huuuge! I had fun working my way through it, though, once I got used to the fact that there's a lot in here you don't necessarily need to interact with. It was fun to fool around and find different ways to collect the coins and play with the powerups. Good stuff!

e: Sorry about the 11 minute first clear, I hope that doesn't scare and randos off. :ohdear:

<3 No problem! Thanks for actually exploring the thing. I really wanted to make a level where someone could come up with solutions even I didn't think of, and also never get softlocked—I cleared it as small Mario just to be sure 😎

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spellman posted:

The many, many optional paths were interesting. The first checkpoint is a bit headache inducing with how it requires the player double back if they restart from there which makes restarting from the beginning necessary. Since you require the pow block which is outside of the checkpoint area, the door is locked again so you're essentially starting over from scratch with the checkpoint.

Control Volume posted:

Oh and heres the new level code for this thing

The Mansion of Dr. Bones (rev. B)
GB3-R4Y-9QG

Some pretty good puzzling here. The eighth coin took me a while to figure out. It didn't help that there was some kind of graphics thing in the bomb and three munchers room that made it look like there was something hidden behind the semisolids...

Internet Kraken posted:

Nicely themed stage. It got really tough at some points with all the flying spikes around. Spin jumping off them to go over everything wasn't working for me so I wound up carrying a goombrat around and just kicking in front of me over and over again.

DalaranJ posted:

This week's jam is based off an RPG jam we did on the forums a couple years ago.
The theme is "Mario Mixtape" which is to say, you should make a course based off the name of a song, or it's theme.

Yeah, I got it. I heard this level is a must try.

Mario will defend Russia from Napoleon in my 1812 Overture level.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I decided on the levels I'd kill to make room but when I actually sat down to create I just wound up drawing and getting frustrated that nothing interesting was coming to me. Usually I could pick a few course elements and it just... comes to me with what I want to do but I really had nothing and felt like I was making a bland flavorless level :smith:

I need to get inspired somehow.

J-Spot posted:

This probably won’t last through the evening but for now I’m happy:
https://twitter.com/jefftmbg/status/1153037745247248384?s=21

Was expecting a piece of avatar clothing for getting the gold medal but there was nothing.

Yeah, you only get clothes for being number 1, 2 and 3. Mentioned when I was up there :negative: Normal Gold doesn't get you anything, that or my game bugged.

Still congrats! I'm sure it'll be awhile before your demoted to silver so enjoy it while you got it :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 22, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

If I can pull off what I've got planned, you're all going to hate me.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The many, many optional paths were interesting. The first checkpoint is a bit headache inducing with how it requires the player double back if they restart from there which makes restarting from the beginning necessary. Since you require the pow block which is outside of the checkpoint area, the door is locked again so you're essentially starting over from scratch with the checkpoint.

I must've bamboozled you. You probably saw the escape hatch and decided to go back into the level to get Yoshi, so you could get the POW on the left. However, there was a POW in the red pipe all along!

There's also a Yoshi in there. Because I'm a gentle creator

e: also you have the world record by like a mile probably because you beat it without relying on the checkpoint lmao

Spellman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 22, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there anyway I can delete Big Stunt Skyline, The Curse of Magikoopa Cave and Meowser's Bad Breakup from Random Acts?

Lmao despite having like 30 hearts on Meowser and 15 on the other two deleting them gave me 400 maker points. Guess that's a revelation :v:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there anyway I can delete Big Stunt Skyline, The Curse of Magikoopa Cave and Meowser's Bad Breakup from Random Acts?

Lmao despite having like 30 hearts on Meowser and 15 on the other two deleting them gave me 400 maker points. Guess that's a revelation :v:

Never thought a stage could give you negative points lmao

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spellman posted:

Never thought a stage could give you negative points lmao

Big Stunt I think got hated because it's a car level which like, I get, the car sucks but I wanted to try to do something with it.
Meowsers Bad Breakup is fine but wound up being a generic hammer suit tutorial
Curse was a super tough level and if your not Panga or one of those guys your tough level is going to get bullied most likely.

I understand all of them :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Lobster posted:

If I can pull off what I've got planned, you're all going to hate me.

Let the bodies hit the floor.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got it. It's a shame that you slammed into the max level limit so fast, I hope the levels you come up with to replace them work out better for you.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 22, 2019

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's just weird, you'd think it would bottom out at 0, but who knows how Mario Maker really works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Some pretty good puzzling here. The eighth coin took me a while to figure out. It didn't help that there was some kind of graphics thing in the bomb and three munchers room that made it look like there was something hidden behind the semisolids...

Apparently its a lamp lol. If the game ever updates to include infinite timer, I'll probably erase that in the level update.