Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I found this

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fix-my-twitter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Jippa posted:

Is there an easy way to use the old version of twitter again?

This is supposed to work:

https://twitter.com/yourcompanionAI/status/1151707735588769792

https://twitter.com/yourcompanionAI/status/1151710631743184896

Although I haven't tried it yet myself because I'm fortunate enough to still be on Old Twitter.

edit: I didn't see the new page and the post before mine is probably easier

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Doing these changes will only delay the inevitable for a little while, they're not going to keep up "old Twitter" for much longer. Better to accept & move on.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Out of interest, what's the beef with new twitter?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's different.

One big advantage is that it finally loving keeps your place when you click a thing and then go back. One big disadvantage is that it goes along with that disgusting trend of changing everything into icons with no real meaning to people who don't already know them.

Other than that it's almost entirely just as bad as old Twitter.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Geemer posted:

It's different.

One big advantage is that it finally loving keeps your place when you click a thing and then go back. One big disadvantage is that it goes along with that disgusting trend of changing everything into icons with no real meaning to people who don't already know them.

Ah, I only started using twitter 2 months ago so the new one is all I know.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Geemer posted:

It's different.

So the only bad thing affects new users, and going by WattsvilleBlues, new users don't notice/care?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

So the only bad thing affects new users, and going by WattsvilleBlues, new users don't notice/care?

There's some more nuanced poo poo too. But for the amount anyone should care, it's like when Google changed their logo on the front page and people were threatening to kill themselves over it or something stupid like that.
Like, I'm on the autistic spectrum and hate dumb changes as much as the next goon but Twitter was already such a bad experience that changing it into a somewhat different but equally bad experience really is not even worth getting worked up about.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
You can't open quoted tweets in a new tab, and the new method of displaying a selected tweet conveys less context of whether you opened it from your home timeline or not. The information density is also worse while the number of ads feels way higher.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The timeline now jumps all over the place if you scroll it, the site reloads randomly making it jump to the newest tweet instead of where you were, there are a ton of new ads and it occasionally does the same bullshit it does on mobile where it changes your timeline to "most popular" tweets or some poo poo instead of newest tweets. Also I had an extension that put a little indicator on the tab whenever new tweets came in and new twitter broke that.

Might just be me, but ublock doesn't seem to work on the page either for some reason.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Ublock doesn't work because intead of them using static css classes for the tweets that can be easily blocked (or otherwise overridden), they use react and some css-in-javascript crap that generates unique css class names on the fly.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Also instead of showing tweets in chronological order, they want to show them in The Algorithm order, because then they can show you "more relevant" tweets (i.e. ads). Because for some reason twitter has the same brainworms that facebook has where they want to show you ads, but they feel bad inserting them on your timeline if it's in chronological order. Or something like that, I don't know why they don't want to respect the user's preferences

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"You can use dark theme for now, but we will return you to light theme after a while"
"Your timezone has been set, but we will return you to UTC after a while"
"We will show you temperatures in Celsius for now, but we will retur you to Kelvin after a while"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

The timeline now jumps all over the place if you scroll it, the site reloads randomly making it jump to the newest tweet instead of where you were, there are a ton of new ads and it occasionally does the same bullshit it does on mobile where it changes your timeline to "most popular" tweets or some poo poo instead of newest tweets. Also I had an extension that put a little indicator on the tab whenever new tweets came in and new twitter broke that.

Might just be me, but ublock doesn't seem to work on the page either for some reason.

Feels real weird to be defending Twitter, but I'm not having any of these issues. And Twitter has had a native function to show a (1) or whatever number of new tweets in the tab title when they show up for ages now and still does.
Changing back to 'top tweets' is a pain in the dick, but unless you muted specific meta words it always forced algorithm order instead of chronological order with the old layout.

Also, I'm not seeing any ads, and as far as I know don't have any super special filters in my uBlock Origin.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
This might not be the best place to ask but I've got a text box on a company website at work I have to enter short lines of text into. After each line I have to hit enter then the page reloads and I enter a new line of text. Is there a way I could submit multiple strings of text at once so I don't have to manually paste and enter each line one by one? Sorry if this is poorly conveyed.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Spaseman posted:

This might not be the best place to ask but I've got a text box on a company website at work I have to enter short lines of text into. After each line I have to hit enter then the page reloads and I enter a new line of text. Is there a way I could submit multiple strings of text at once so I don't have to manually paste and enter each line one by one? Sorry if this is poorly conveyed.

It depends on how the page and whatever it communicates with are designed. It might be possible to make a userscript that takes the content of a text area and submits its contents line by line. Are you able to view the source code?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Spaseman posted:

Shift+enter?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Spaseman posted:

Type up the whole thing in notepad and paste it into the text area?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Toast Museum posted:

It depends on how the page and whatever it communicates with are designed. It might be possible to make a userscript that takes the content of a text area and submits its contents line by line. Are you able to view the source code?

Yeah, I can view the source.

Nth Doctor posted:

Type up the whole thing in notepad and paste it into the text area?

I have to hit enter after each string and there's no way to submit multiple strings.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Geemer posted:

It's different.

Keeping your place in the timeline is good but it's unacceptable that they removed the ability to open a tweet in a tab. Can't even copy a link to a tweet anymore.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

~Coxy posted:

Keeping your place in the timeline is good but it's unacceptable that they removed the ability to open a tweet in a tab. Can't even copy a link to a tweet anymore.

Only 3rd party twitter clients are non-hateful, haven’t used it except on my phone for close to a decade.

loving clowns designing using a platform that doesn’t even run Firefox (proper).

I swear that the Mozilla team has 9 times more designers than any OSS company requires. I’d still use Firefox if it had the same UI look as when it was called Phoenix.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

I just got the new layout last night. If I middle-click on the time stamp, it'll open a tweet in a new tab, and have the full URL to it in the address bar.

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed

~Coxy posted:

Can't even copy a link to a tweet anymore.

Click the up arrow button thingy next to the likes etc.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FWT THE CUTTER posted:

Lol. Let's make our web page an "app", then reimplement all the useful features of something being a web page.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I updated to 68.0.1, and now Twitter is showing a lot of grey boxes with struck-out play buttons in place of... I'm not sure. Video links, presumably. Anyone else seeing this?

This is still under the old interface, if it matters.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't usually complain about interface churn, I get so quickly used to changes, but that new Twitter is really bad. Chronology and no animations can be fixed, but the menus on the sides are really loud, strong and big with too little margin next the small, weak actual content I came to read. It's like reading through a keyhole with someone shouting at you from the sides. Multi billion dollar mega company and messes up super basic design.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FWT THE CUTTER posted:

Lol. I guess that makes sense to be a "share" option.

Kheldarn posted:

I just got the new layout last night. If I middle-click on the time stamp, it'll open a tweet in a new tab, and have the full URL to it in the address bar.

That works, thanks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can you no longer clear individual site data from Firefox Mobile? You could before, even though it was a bit of a pain.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you guys even use twitter? It is even worse than facebook, you can't browse it at all:

I can still find people's tweets by using google, but how are you supposed to find them by using twitter's webpage?

Edit: apparently you must click "Directory" from the bottom of the page to go to https://twitter.com/i/directory/profiles then open some profile, then you get to twitter and can use search to find Jay Leno or whatever.

Who designed this piece of poo poo?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 25, 2019

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

How do you guys even use twitter? It is even worse than facebook, you can't browse it at all:

I can still find people's tweets by using google, but how are you supposed to find them by using twitter's webpage?

Edit: apparently you must click "Directory" from the bottom of the page to go to https://twitter.com/i/directory/profiles then open some profile, then you get to twitter and can use search to find Jay Leno or whatever.

I manually navigate to twitter.com/search when necessary, but yes the site does hate you and everyone.

Especially the anti-bot feature or whatever it was that makes you load the page twice.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

People who desperately want more people to sign up because they're still not profitable and venture capitalists are starting to balk at the steady decline in active users. They'll resort to trying to trick people into thinking they need to have an account to see timelines and will constantly throw fullscreen (on mobile) "reminders" to get people to sign up and/or install the app (so they can harvest all your personal data from your phone).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'll give Twitter one thing, the interface is snappier now. I don't know if they used React before, but they do now. Perhaps that made the speed difference, but React doesn't enforce terrible layouts.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

How do you guys even use twitter?

Via Flamingo for Android.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd prefer to view Twitter on my phone through Firefox, but here we are.

Edit: Oh, cute. It doesn't update the tab with the helpful <x> new tweets marker unless you bring that tab to the foreground.

At least that user agent fix is working for now.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 26, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Twitter use case example: You come up with a thing you want to tweet while away from the computer. You open the twitter tab and start writing. Under the hood, it fetches the new tweets that have appeared while you were away and FOMP! it dumps the new ones on you, removing the input box from the screen. You have to scroll all the way to the top to find it again. What idiots! I know this isn't the twitter thread, but I had to get this off my chest, thank you for your time.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ola posted:

Twitter use case example: You come up with a thing you want to tweet while away from the computer. You open the twitter tab and start writing. Under the hood, it fetches the new tweets that have appeared while you were away and FOMP! it dumps the new ones on you, removing the input box from the screen. You have to scroll all the way to the top to find it again. What idiots! I know this isn't the twitter thread, but I had to get this off my chest, thank you for your time.

I can’t believe there are all these people who somehow still use any official 1st party way of reading twitter, ever.

3rd party apps have been better on mobile for 10+ years now.

There are desktop apps on every platform, and web based alternatives that work much better too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I used to use third party programs, before Twitter strangled access to the API. The ones I just found in a cursory search are Metro or AIR based garbage.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anything 3rd party is made by people who feel so strongly about their super weird UI ideas, that they've built a new Twitter. Suddenly losing API access comes in addition to even more frequent changes as the various clans fight for who has the best edition of some weird feature I don't care about. At least I'm reminded I should spent less time on Twitter.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wooger posted:

I can’t believe there are all these people who somehow still use any official 1st party way of reading twitter, ever.

3rd party apps have been better on mobile for 10+ years now.

There are desktop apps on every platform, and web based alternatives that work much better too.

lmao if you care about twitter enough to look up and then use 3rd party clients

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Geemer posted:

lmao if you care about twitter enough to look up and then use 3rd party clients

I’d say that the people complaining about the changes *do / should* care enough too, which was my point.

Next you’ll be telling me you don’t use a 3rd party app to read Something Awful :aaaaa:

Ola posted:

Anything 3rd party is made by people who feel so strongly about their super weird UI ideas, that they've built a new Twitter. Suddenly losing API access comes in addition to even more frequent changes as the various clans fight for who has the best edition of some weird feature I don't care about. At least I'm reminded I should spent less time on Twitter.

I’m not sure which examples you’re referring to, but there are multiple twitter apps on iOS & Android with slick, sane UIs, and which have been around for many years.