Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wish there was better counterplay for Snipe Hunter than Bad Aim (though it is, admittedly, hilarious), it's a really sloppy two-for-two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So my 6 year old son really wants to play but I haven't seriously played since just before the gx sets came out haha. What would be some good precons to get? I'd like to focus on the normal game instead of speed duel if possible, unless that's the new actual hotness and is actually more fun than duel links makes it seem.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elblanco posted:

So my 6 year old son really wants to play but I haven't seriously played since just before the gx sets came out haha. What would be some good precons to get? I'd like to focus on the normal game instead of speed duel if possible, unless that's the new actual hotness and is actually more fun than duel links makes it seem.
Go speed duels if you can find it, for a couple reasons.
1) Real Yu-Gi-Oh is a little bonkers. Unless he's actually actively watching Zexal or what-have-you, the rules are going to be way too byzantine for a six year old.
2) SDs are much closer to the Yu-Gi-Oh you remember.
3) SDs needs more love and support so they'll actually make more of it.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

They're gonna keep making Speed Duel products because Duel Links is making Konami more money than the rest of the physical card game and they want to capitalize on that success as much as they can. I bet Speed Duel products become way more popular once they release sets based on decks that were popular in the first year of Duel Links, like Red-Eyes Zombie or Fire King Nephtys (pre-Yubel/Ritual) or something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SD is a chance for Konami to really rebalance YGO into a non hosed state whole keeping the nostalgia cards.

Lol we said that about links
Lol we also said that about DL

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

SD is a chance for Konami to really rebalance YGO into a non hosed state whole keeping the nostalgia cards.

Lol we said that about links

YGO can only go one direction and it's up in how hosed up it is. That much is very much clear at this point. It's just going to become more solitaire with time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Elblanco posted:

Salamangreats structure deck is your best bet as they are meta cards on cheap and have a very simple play style.

The TCG is much better than speed duels as they are mostly nostalgia for a time when the game was honestly pretty poo poo and will probably die a slow death as duel links does what speed duels want to do but more convenient

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I think I'll start with speed duel, just picked up the kaiba, Joey, mai starter. Once he has the game down we can expand from there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In some ways, DL did succeed at that, it's just that shaving off the top layer of bullshit just makes Tier 2 the new Tier 1. I mean, loving AGs have been tiered for a couple months now and Yubel keeps coming back as a rogue deck. (My next dream is to see Superheavy Samurai become playable. Probably not, but it'd be neat.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 16, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Elblanco posted:

I think I'll start with speed duel, just picked up the kaiba, Joey, mai starter. Once he has the game down we can expand from there.

I play those little precons with my clients at work. They like it. (Note: The Kaiba/Joey/Mai set is loving broken compared to the Yugi/Pegasus/Ishizu set.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Framboise posted:

I play those little precons with my clients at work. They like it. (Note: The Kaiba/Joey/Mai set is loving broken compared to the Yugi/Pegasus/Ishizu set.)

That's because Konami loves to push the hell out of Kaiba/Blue-Eyes and waifu decks, even in the full game.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Wait, which definition of broken is being used here? Anyway, we played a few games and he had a blast and already asked when he can play with a full deck haha. He's six and just finish kindergarten so I told him that he needs to be able to read the cards and play entirely on his own first.

We played 4 games and each won 2, though our last game he not only got to play his Blue-Eyes, but he also wrecked my poo poo with it, it really did hit me with a nostalgia big time too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Broken typically means overpowered. Blue-Eyes and Harpie/Amazons have both been meta in speed duels, with Harpie/Amazons currently being the best deck, IIRC? To an extent where there's not many other decks that can keep up with it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Elblanco posted:

Wait, which definition of broken is being used here? Anyway, we played a few games and he had a blast and already asked when he can play with a full deck haha. He's six and just finish kindergarten so I told him that he needs to be able to read the cards and play entirely on his own first.

We played 4 games and each won 2, though our last game he not only got to play his Blue-Eyes, but he also wrecked my poo poo with it, it really did hit me with a nostalgia big time too.

Broken in the sense that those 3 are WAY better than the Yugi/Pegasus/Ishizu ones. Of those 3, the Yugi one is pretty much the only one that can really contend with the Kaiba/Mai/Joey ones, while the Pegasus and Ishizu ones are jank trash.

That said, I still usually win with the Ishizu one because my clients are kids and it kind of levels the playing field a bit.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Framboise posted:

Broken in the sense that those 3 are WAY better than the Yugi/Pegasus/Ishizu ones. Of those 3, the Yugi one is pretty much the only one that can really contend with the Kaiba/Mai/Joey ones, while the Pegasus and Ishizu ones are jank trash.

That said, I still usually win with the Ishizu one because my clients are kids and it kind of levels the playing field a bit.

so the real secret to dominating at this game is to beat on kids. noted

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

so the real secret to dominating at this game is to beat on kids. noted

i started playing because they wanted me to play with them hth

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Framboise posted:

i started playing because they wanted me to play with them hth

It was just a dumb joke, I first started playing this years ago because some kids wanted me to play with them and it kept them out of trouble.

Now I play on duel links and own random kids from around the world :v:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

grown-rear end adults picking on and then losing to children who believe in themselves is what yugioh is all about

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Skeleton Mom posted:

grown-rear end adults picking on and then losing to children who believe in themselves is what yugioh is all about

Yeah. It actually makes me happy when i get completely owned in 2 turns because i like to picture a little kid doing a victory dance on the other end.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Thats why dueling on duelingbook or percy just isn't as satisfying, because I know another manchild is on the other end. I'd go back to locals but they I'd have to buy real cards and not proxies. Where can I get my beating up children in a game fix?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Charles Bukowski posted:

Thats why dueling on duelingbook or percy just isn't as satisfying, because I know another manchild is on the other end. I'd go back to locals but they I'd have to buy real cards and not proxies. Where can I get my beating up children in a game fix?

i hear fortnite is popular with the shrill and preadolescent

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'm always worried with roaming duelists that farming is going to be a pain in the rear end but sometimes things work out alright.

Oh, and I hit KoG again, this time using a modified version of the Red-Eyes build used in this video. Using Masked Tribute + Creature Seizure or Enemy Controller to bypass Red-Eyes Fusion's summoning restrictions and load the field with huge monsters way too fast proved really good against all sorts of decks.

Here's some good replays I saved from my ladder climb. The first two I'm just running the deck from the video, and in the last one I'm running a lv1 Warrior-type tuner instead of Amazoness Queen for Synchro Shenanigans:

VS. A more traditional Red-Eyes build w/ Buster Blader

VS. Six Samurai, in which I have a very bad time until I don't

VS. Some sort of Subterror/Neos hybrid, in which I pull a Black Rose Dragon out of my rear end

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been goofing off trying to make Neos/Silent Swordsman work. It's almost at the point where it's almost not bad.

Edit: Extra deck is 3x Brave Neos and 3x Neos Knight, nothing exciting.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 20, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
New Skill Rebalancing and Forbidden/Limited list changes coming on July 26 for Duel Links.

Masked Tribute
This Skill has been used in ways other than Summoning The Masked Beast, so we have restricted its use.

quote:

Masked Tribute
Return 1 card from your hand to your Deck. Then, randomly play 1 "Grand Tiki Elder" or "Melchid the Four-Face Beast" in Defense Position from outside of your Deck. After using this Skill, you cannot Normal or Special Summon any monsters other than "Masked Beast Des Gardius" until the end of your opponent's turn. This skill can only be used once per turn and twice per duel.

Parasite Infestation
This Skill has been used excessively in many different types of Decks, affecting players' enjoyment of the game, so we have decided to restrict its use to Insect-Type Decks only.

quote:

Parasite Infestation
After starting hands are dealt, 1 or 2 "Parasite Paracide" cards are added to your opponent's deck, face up. This Skill will only activate if you begin the Duel with a Deck that has 4 or more Insect-Type monsters with different names.

Three Lord Pillars
We are changing the Skill, as with its current effect, you can greatly increase the chance of drawing specific cards by including 3 copies of "The Spiritual Lord" and "The Sky Lord" in your Deck.

quote:

Three Lord Pillars
If your Deck contains both "The Spiritual Lord" and "The Sky Lord," begin the Duel with "The Material Lord" Set in your Spell & Trap Zone.

Limited 1
Gem-Knight Lady Lapis Lazuli
We are limiting this card, as having two or more copies of this card has allowed players to consistently end Duels in one turn without giving their opponent a chance to fight back.

Limited 2
Diamond Core of the Koa'ki Meiru
This card has allowed "Koa'ki Meiru" decks to be very consistent, and has caused many one-sided Duels, so we will be limiting it.

Amazoness Swords Woman
"Amazoness" Decks have been in the metagame in one form or another for a very long time, so we are limiting this Deck to promote Deck diversity.

No Longer on List
Iron Core of the Koa'ki Meiru
This card will be unlimited, as "Diamond Core of the Koa'ki Meiru" has been limited in its place.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Good changes across the board. RIP Weevil stallburn, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I am irrationally upset about Gem-Knight Lady Lapis Lazuli, but then again, it's not like I play against actual live people that much, so I guess I just have to suck it up. :negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I am irrationally upset about Gem-Knight Lady Lapis Lazuli, but then again, it's not like I play against actual live people that much, so I guess I just have to suck it up. :negative:
The problem with having LLL at anything more than one is that she will forever be an OTK enabler. Even now all it would take is a decent way to recur her.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Shame that it basically makes those skills more or less useless now, especially Masked Tribute

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Shame that it basically makes those skills more or less useless now, especially Masked Tribute

The Masked Tribute one everyone should've seen coming, since they've had this same problem with similar skills in the past. Any time you give a character a skill to let them freely summon materials need for their signature monsters, you can guarantee that people will build a deck to exploit those free materials for anything except said signature monster.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The exception, apparently being Para and Dox's Labyrinth Builder, because two cards is just not worth it for a 3000 DEF vanilla.

Unless it got nerfed in the past, which wouldn't surprise me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New YGO series announced for 2020. Start making your bets on new mechanics and how it'll start decently then horribly jump the shark and turn awful.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaze Dragon posted:

New YGO series announced for 2020. Start making your bets on new mechanics and how it'll start decently then horribly jump the shark and turn awful.

Assuming we get a new monster card type, I could see something similar to the evolution mechanic from Pokemon, where you essentially overlay an extra deck monster on top of a specific monster you control (or maybe it'll be a main deck monster like pendulums were) and it's essentially a buffed up version of that monster.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Julias posted:

Assuming we get a new monster card type, I could see something similar to the evolution mechanic from Pokemon, where you essentially overlay an extra deck monster on top of a specific monster you control (or maybe it'll be a main deck monster like pendulums were) and it's essentially a buffed up version of that monster.

Sooooo
Like Rank-up or Assault Mode. gotcha boss.
Serious though: Depending on an exact monster for material has not gone so well in YGO in the past unless the archetype is all about getting that specific material. And even then they like to give you ways to not need that specific material (unless its rank-up or some other forgotten corner case) to improve consistency.

YGO doesnt really need new mechanics as it does need a serious revamp in how Konami makes cards.
Every duel with current cards is just a game of solitaire rocket tag.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 21, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sooooo
Like Rank-up or Assault Mode. gotcha boss.
Hey, Synchros are basically just Contact Fusion. Using the extra deck for an Assault Mode style mechanic would be kind of cool (especially if it bypassed the need for Link Arrows).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It'll be some kind of monster that can only be in defense mode. The reverse of links, if you will.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Superheavy Samurai will RISE AGAIN!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Vandar posted:

It'll be some kind of monster that can only be in defense mode. The reverse of links, if you will.

So they're just gonna steal the guard mechanic from vanguard then :v: I guess that works as an extension of the hand trap mechanism.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, it would be nice if Defense Position actually meant something again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Julias posted:

So they're just gonna steal the guard mechanic from vanguard then :v: I guess that works as an extension of the hand trap mechanism.

If this mess of a game wants to steal something from Vanguard, the complete reset to the game would be a nice one. Restart from zero, new adaptation of the original manga that actually follows the manga but with the new cards that restart the game from zero to make a more balanced and fun game (note: I have no idea if this worked in Vanguard and I don't trust Konami at all to make it work in YGO, I just want an actual adaptation of the original manga)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That sounds awful.