Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The new Hilux are getting out of hand.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hedenius posted:

I read it as coaches first and was pretty horrified.

Doesn't sound terribly far-fetched, tbh

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

C&c generals was the best

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I love this thing so much. Like that has to be a completely custom 'lower' for that turret?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Maybe not. I doubt they have the whole autoloader etc down there, so my guess would be it's just ammo storage and a reinforced platform to give it something semi-stable. Oh, and a place for the gunner's legs. If they're loading and firing by hand it could be a pretty basic setup.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

My neighbour has spent all day today welding metal, uhh, stuff onto his car right in the street in front of my (rented) house. I feel like that's not okay? Am in Britain if it matters.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I do so love when the thread swings to semi-improvised war vehicles:allears:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Private Speech posted:

My neighbour has spent all day today welding metal, uhh, stuff onto his car right in the street in front of my (rented) house. I feel like that's not okay? Am in Britain if it matters.

Is your concern that he's running a welder or that he is building KilldozerUK?

If it's the first, then there is nothing to worry about.

If it is the second, then thanks to the cost of petrol, his rampage wouldn't last more than 10mins.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Shut up Meg posted:

Is your concern that he's running a welder or that he is building KilldozerUK?

If it's the first, then there is nothing to worry about.

If it is the second, then thanks to the cost of petrol, his rampage wouldn't last more than 10mins.

Honestly don't know what he's trying to do, it looks a bit too fragile for a killdozer.

The noise and sparks from the welding are annoying though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't be a priss

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sagebrush posted:

Don't be a priss

Meh okay. Could be doing it in his garage though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He's preparing to defend his guzzolene post-Brexit.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Private Speech posted:

Post some drat pix! Go over and offer him a beer.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

haveblue posted:

He's preparing to defend his guzzolene post-Brexit.

Yup, he's probably installing a nitrous system and welding skulls and scythe blades onto his Reliant Robin

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
his garage is probably not setup to vent the fumes properly, making it safer to do it in a larger atmosphere

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Burt Sexual posted:

Post some drat pix! Go over and offer him a beer.
Yeah besides everybody needs a friend who can weld. Even if its badly tacking small bits onto things that's still more welding expertise than the op has at the moment and welding is cool.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Private Speech posted:

Yeah, I get where you're coming from with this. On the plus side, at least it's not late at night, so it could be a lot worse.

violent sex idiot posted:

his garage is probably not setup to vent the fumes properly, making it safer to do it in a larger atmosphere
It also won't reduce the noise much anyway.

zedprime posted:

Yeah besides everybody needs a friend who can weld. Even if its badly tacking small bits onto things that's still more welding expertise than the op has at the moment and welding is cool.
This is also true: having a guy who can weld belongs on the same list as 'man with a van', 'is good with computers' and 'solicitor'

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yup, he's probably installing a nitrous system and welding skulls and scythe blades onto his Reliant Robin
:krad:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maybe not. I doubt they have the whole autoloader etc down there, so my guess would be it's just ammo storage and a reinforced platform to give it something semi-stable. Oh, and a place for the gunner's legs. If they're loading and firing by hand it could be a pretty basic setup.

It's a T-55 turret, so there's no autoloader associated with it. They just need a reinforced box to support the weight of the turret, maybe shove in the mechanical bits to allow it to traverse a bit, and for the dudes to stand/store the ammo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Warbadger posted:

It's a T-55 turret, so there's no autoloader associated with it. They just need a reinforced box to support the weight of the turret, maybe shove in the mechanical bits to allow it to traverse a bit, and for the dudes to stand/store the ammo.

I’d honestly be surprised if the traverse works. Given yhe nature of the setup I figure it’s more like adjust elevation with the gun and windage with the truck itself.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Private Speech posted:

TDR2020 confirmed

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’d honestly be surprised if the traverse works. Given yhe nature of the setup I figure it’s more like adjust elevation with the gun and windage with the truck itself.

Your theory makes sense if it is used for indirect fire, which I think it must be because how the gently caress would you use that thing for direct fire?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your theory makes sense if it is used for indirect fire, which I think it must be because how the gently caress would you use that thing for direct fire?

My friend, just wish it

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

a kitten posted:

During the construction of the Mount Washington Cog Railway (ok this isn't exactly the same as a funicular, but w/e) in the 1860's rather than hike back down at the end of their shifts the workers would instead affix a homemade contraption called the Devil's Shingle to the center rail and ride the 3.5 miles down at speeds up to 60 mph.

'

The practice was officially banned in 1910 after someone died.

Here's a fun and short podcast episode about it.
http://thememorypalace.us/2019/05/this-story-climbed-mount-washington/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHiajXOmE5E
(This guy says expert but he's going pretty slow, my brother and I when we were kids would bank those turns so hard you'd almost fly out.)

I'm way back in this thread, there is a very osha version of this you can still ride today called an alpine slide. This one has been in Vermont since my mom was a kid. It's made out of kinda rough fiberglassy material, which will burn the poo poo out of you if you touch it while moving, or get ejected. The carts are little fiber glass things with a pole, you push it forward onto 2 rollerblade wheels, and pull it back to slow down on a little carpet pad break. My mom said she flew out when she was a teenager and covered her entire back with a burn, much like carpet burn. OSHA #3 is you ride right under the ski lifts with people right above you. I had some kids try and spit on me, I can only imagine if you drop a water bottle, or something with some weight, at certain points you're about 30 feet above the track.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A lot of the improvised weapons and fighting vehicles in the Middle East are seemingly of the "because why not?" variety. They don't actually have any real drive to make an accurate weapon of war as much as they have a bunch of guns and vehicle parts that kinda work and would be better put on a truck than leaving sitting in a pile. Whoever's shooting it may very well have no more training with it than some basic practice with one or two rounds because they don't have a ton of ammo.

Same reason you'll see a rebel get a machine gun and use it by just walking out into the street dumping it from the hip. They have nowhere near enough experience or training to know that they're uselessly dumping ammo. They just know "I have a machine gun and imma shoot it!"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

chitoryu12 posted:

A lot of the improvised weapons and fighting vehicles in the Middle East are seemingly of the "because why not?" variety. They don't actually have any real drive to make an accurate weapon of war as much as they have a bunch of guns and vehicle parts that kinda work and would be better put on a truck than leaving sitting in a pile. Whoever's shooting it may very well have no more training with it than some basic practice with one or two rounds because they don't have a ton of ammo.

Same reason you'll see a rebel get a machine gun and use it by just walking out into the street dumping it from the hip. They have nowhere near enough experience or training to know that they're uselessly dumping ammo. They just know "I have a machine gun and imma shoot it!"

Enfilade, defilade, the beaten area, and interlocking fire aren't concepts they're familiar with so you get a dude dumping a whole belt of ammo on one trigger pull for no actual observed effect.

It's a fun ride until "poo poo I'm empty AND have to run with this thing back to cover with no covering fire and it's heavy and gently caress"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Disclaimer: As cool as it sounds, Afghans are not orks

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tafferling posted:

He must have absurdly thick skin if that doesn't even cause a single droplet of blood.
Or maybe the meat has been so cauterized by friction that what we're seeing is the human equivalent of ham?

Not necessarily. This is a 2nd degree burn, and burns rarely have bleeding I think it's due to the cauterization of any vasculature in the immediate area from the heat source, but I'm just a paramedic, I don't know 100% if this is correct.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
[quote="Pokey Araya" post="496898894"]
I'm way back in this thread, there is a very osha version of this you can still ride today called an alpine slide. This one has been in Vermont since my mom was a kid. It's made out of kinda rough fiberglassy material, which will burn the poo poo out of you if you touch it while moving, or get ejected. The carts are little fiber glass things with a pole, you push it forward onto 2 rollerblade wheels, and pull it back to slow down on a little carpet pad break. My mom said she flew out when she was a teenager and covered her entire back with a burn, much like carpet burn. OSHA #3 is you ride right under the ski lifts with people right above you. I had some kids try and spit on me, I can only imagine if you drop a water bottle, or something with some weight, at certain points you're about 30 feet above the track./quote]

can confirm, as a child i was hospitalized because my dad thought brakes were for pussies. if he or the cart had landed on me i probably would have required a cast or two, as it was i just had abrasion wounds covering most of my face and torso, which they didn't bandage for some reason, so i just oozed and scabbed for weeks afterwards.

this was in kindergarten. my popularity did not recover.

Vermont: If You Lived Here, You'd Risk Death Too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo just use it for direct fire on static positions. If a bunch of dudes with AKs and LMGs are giving you a hard time from an office building and you have tank-truck, you can gently caress them up pretty well. Wouldn’t want to be in the same neighborhood as a proper AT weapon or even an RPG but for loving up the sniper nest two blocks down it will work just fine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

We're just going to include every episode of Savage Builds

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ahhhh

At hospital lost fingat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nope

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OSHA: Burning Man

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Unless I'm mistaken, booster plume is directed in the general direction of the vehicle and operator

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'm trying to decide which is the worst: the guy welding on a scuba tank or that dude that's about to lose a finger from the electrical burn.

I'm gonna go with the finger, that pic has to be pretty close to when it happened cause that whole finger is going to slough off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Private Speech posted:

Where. Are. The. Pictures.

Or have you been mounted as a bloodbag already?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Not posting pictures of your neighbor's Lemon 500 car or future Killdozer is an immediate hazard to all our health god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

abigserve posted:

100 left 5 caution don't cut

I seriously have no idea what this means.