Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hunt11 posted:

Those two incidents always bugged me because it shows the guild making GBS threads on the notion of fair play but the moment that they could face consequences for what they did they just start bitching about it.

seems pretty realistic to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seems like that tactic any sane person would take. Exploit any advantage, complain about any consequences.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much every depiction of Guild rules shows that most of the Guild variously take advantage of them, begrudgingly follow them and/or break them whenever they think they can get away. The Guild likes to make examples of both heroes and villains who don't follow the rules, as the double agents encouraged Jonas Jr to escalate to lethal force against the Monarch (albeit in a more classical and plausibly deniable way than Ventron)

It's basically LARPing with real guns, after all. Lethal force against henchmen is accepted to the point where the Guild will gladly send in a blackout team one by one just to keep Brock occupied. But I get the impression that it's considered generally poor form at best to commit atrocities without at least appropriate theatrics- see how the Sovereign pinned Movie Night on SPHINX both to avoid the massive war of retaliation from the OSI and to get rid of their primary competition. (And we saw how brutal the OSI was in the Pyramid Wars probably because they were avenging Jonas Venture) Nobody's gonna complain too much if you off someone no one likes, and of course no one asks too many questions about a supervillain mysteriously disappearing one night.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Similarly I imagine the rate of Henchmen deaths we see is somewhat skewed due to many of them going up against people like Brock Sampson or Sgt Hatred, I figure most villains have much lower attrition rates among their minions

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I definitely got the impression that part of the Guild's recruiting pool was would-be suicides in search of survivor's benefits.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was a earthquake in California

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1146841493212024832

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

heads up, season 7 hit hulu but as of me having just finished watching it right now some of the middle episodes are out of order, i was wondering why the season felt so disjointed until i started noticing the episode titles and descriptions weren't matching up to what was actually happening

but hey bright side, gives me an excuse to rewatch it in correct order soon

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Just caught up with season 7. Forgot how much I loved this show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just a heads up for y'all, the original Jonny Quest series came out on Blu-Ray earlier this month and it's gorgeous. If you've never seen it or only have vague childhood memories, the series is a ton of fun (albeit problematic) and definitely worth watching for any Venture fan to see what Doc and his contemporaries were up to in their youth.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Just a heads up for y'all, the original Jonny Quest series came out on Blu-Ray earlier this month and it's gorgeous. If you've never seen it or only have vague childhood memories, the series is a ton of fun (albeit problematic) and definitely worth watching for any Venture fan to see what Doc and his contemporaries were up to in their youth.

(Emphasis mine.)

It's so problematic that it literally inspired an entire series with a dedicated cult following that explores a deconstruction of those exact problems.

Good to know about the series, though. I wonder if Adult Swim will ever consider running the episodes?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Adult Swim is about as woke as a network can get these days so I doubt they’d go down that road to alienate the majority of their fan base.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Adult Swim is about as woke as a network can get these days so I doubt they’d go down that road to alienate the majority of their fan base.

I mean they're still not great at hiring women

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unmature posted:

I mean they're still not great at hiring women

They've got a lot of female creators

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The Ultimate Doge posted:

They've got a lot of female creators

This JUST happened. They have a long way to go

https://www.cbr.com/adult-swim-female-inclusive-problems-remain/

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I just finished season 7 and I'm wonder what what the point of Phantom Limb's multi-season subplot? He's basically the same person we met in season 2 except maybe not slobering over Dr. Girlfriend.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just finished season 7 and I'm wonder what what the point of Phantom Limb's multi-season subplot? He's basically the same person we met in season 2 except maybe not slobering over Dr. Girlfriend.

Phantom Limb is a wanna-be old-school villain. Even at his most bad-rear end, he was calling a Blackout Team to kill the Venture Family instead of doing it himself. He has the *ability* to do cool things (as evidenced by his escape from Guild custody), and might even have telekinetic abilities, but all he *really* wants to do is be ~important~ and have people *under* him. Remember back when he *had* Dr. Girlfriend again when The Monarch was locked up and she was all :rolleyes: that he was more interested in selling art and hobnobbing than doing villain poo poo?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Phantom Limb is a wanna-be old-school villain. Even at his most bad-rear end, he was calling a Blackout Team to kill the Venture Family instead of doing it himself. He has the *ability* to do cool things (as evidenced by his escape from Guild custody), and might even have telekinetic abilities, but all he *really* wants to do is be ~important~ and have people *under* him. Remember back when he *had* Dr. Girlfriend again when The Monarch was locked up and she was all :rolleyes: that he was more interested in selling art and hobnobbing than doing villain poo poo?

His rant about the Mona Lisa actually inspired me to look up the history myself.

Venture Bros: Teaching people poo poo since 2001.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AlternateNu posted:

His rant about the Mona Lisa actually inspired me to look up the history myself.

Venture Bros: Teaching people poo poo since 2001.

Every piece of art on his wall is an actually stolen masterpiece.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yep. The attention to detail is the defining part of this show. I saw a Warhol installment today and could stop thinking about Wes Warhammer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TK-42-1 posted:

Yep. The attention to detail is the defining part of this show. I saw a Warhol installment today and could stop thinking about Wes Warhammer.
Ahaha yeah, I had went the Andy Warhol museum and had to show my traveling companions the episode afterward. I think that episode is one of my favorites.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

And all of that art in that episode was brought to us in GLORIOUS EXTRA

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 22, 2019

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ah wan’ the moanuh leesuhr

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"I'm wringing my hands...menacingly!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Phantom Limb is kind of a case where getting on the Council is where he happily stagnates because he's finally got everything he wants; he's powerful, he's respected, he has lesser villains at his beck and call, and after having been pretty thoroughly humbled by Sheila he's in a position where she recognizes him as an equal and she frequently needs his support and assistance, which probably works for him. And wouldn't be surprised if villains are so used to having fought each other over petty grudges and slights that they don't really care in the long run. I get the idea that Phantom Limb always enjoyed the trappings of villainy and living the high life more than the actual arching, given we hardly ever see him actually do any of that, and when he does it's usually in pursuit of a larger goal rather than for the sheer sake of it like the Monarch.

There's possibly a few different kinds of Guild members exemplified by various characters; Phantom Limb is basically a supervillain social climber, the Monarch is actually in it primarily for the villainy and has passion and drive on top of a gigantic ego, and Sheila might just be a case where the Guild is the only place where she really feels like she fits in, like a lot of the weirder members with mutations and superpowers.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's possibly a few different kinds of Guild members exemplified by various characters; Phantom Limb is basically a supervillain social climber, the Monarch is actually in it primarily for the villainy and has passion and drive on top of a gigantic ego,

I don't think Monarch cares about general villainy whatsoever. He's 100% committed to arching Rusty, and only Rusty, and that's pretty much all he really wants to do.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

I don't think Monarch cares about general villainy whatsoever. He's 100% committed to arching Rusty, and only Rusty, and that's pretty much all he really wants to do.

"You abandoned me! You abandoned MY HATRED!"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about those times he arched other people, like Captain Sunshine? Or that one guy that 21 "killed" and earned his wings?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CubanMissile posted:

That's what has me pumped about Season 8. We've seen what happens when The Monarch *can't* arch Rusty - the only thing that sustained and fueled him was that he might get to arch Rusty again ~someday~. Now that he knows what he knows, he can't.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why on Earth not?

The entire theme of S8 is going to be Fratricide

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think the key to this arc will be how long it takes for Rusty to find out about this

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All of my cutlery is Wusthof.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

All of my cutlery is Wusthof.

That's all well and good, but do you have enough pickle forks for the party?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

drrockso20 posted:

I think the key to this arc will be how long it takes for Rusty to find out about this

i’m pretty sure it’s going to open with this. I’d be shocked if ep1 doesn’t start with the fallout the same way most seasons bookend on events.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"Finally someone who understands that serration is only good for bread."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

uber_stoat posted:

"Finally someone who understands that serration is only good for bread."

I mean... not to go off on much of a tangent here, but... it's also great for tomatoes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tarlibone posted:

I mean... not to go off on much of a tangent here, but... it's also great for tomatoes.

What?! No. You’ll savage the edges and get juice/pulp everywhere. A sharp knife is all you need.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You should be slicing your tomato in a single stroke for each slice if you want picture perfect edges and minimum fluid loss!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

You should be slicing your tomato in a single stroke for each slice if you want picture perfect edges and minimum fluid loss!

Actually, for that, I use a mandoline unless I'm just slicing for a sandwich or two. And the best mandoline blade I've found for quickly slicing through a stack of tomatoes is a blade that has very small, tight serrations on it. When I worked in a restaurant years ago, we used a tomato slicer whose blades were widely serrated.

A sharp (smooth) blade will make pretty slices of tomato if you know what you're doing. So will a serrated blade, again, if you know what you're doing. And, if you're using someone else's lovely knives, serrated is usually the way to go. If this gives you ragged edges and massive fluid loss, then you're doing it wrong.

It might be my foodservice years talking, but I've always thought that it was silly to get too worried about knife brands or strict rules about which knives can be used for what, within reason--you don't de-bone a chicken with a steak knife, after all.

And you better sit down for this, because... I don't have any Wüsthofs. My favorite knives are the plastic-handled, stamped-steel commercial cheapies that have been used in working kitchens forever. Easy to clean, easy to sanitize, easy to sharpen, corrosion resistant, practically bulletproof... I love 'em. Last two I bought were boning knives (one of which is an OK fillet knife) from Sam's Club.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i have one bigass chef's knife i kept sharp and used in my taco truck for everything. i still use it for everything. well, everything except bread. I've got bread knives for bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

i have one bigass chef's knife i kept sharp and used in my taco truck for everything. i still use it for everything. well, everything except bread. I've got bread knives for bread.

Yeah, bread is one of the few things where you need a certain kind of knife. I see serrated tomato knives on all the interwebs, but not smooth-bladed bread knives.

Then again, I've never looked. I'm pretty sure Google will report you to the authorities if you try to find something that ridiculous.

Worst knives I ever had: someone gave my wife and I some steak knives many years ago that weren't serrated at all. Thankfully, they also weren't terribly sharp. They were just sharp enough to kind-of tease the muscle fibers of the steak apart, and they made a terrible noise should you foolishly allow the blade of the knife to come into contact with your plate.