Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Fascinated by the Dark Dimension level, which seems to have been created by some kind of Team Ninja Fifth Columnist who decided to showcase all of the game's flaws at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Pro tip, when playing in hero camera, right stick click targets bosses, but in classic camera, it refocuses the camera in the direction your character is facing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scarlet Witch is probably the best once she gets Hex Bolt.

She's pretty much a glass cannon (almost all of them are, really) but flying around to avoid bombs and lasers and...god I love this game. I just wish you could attack mid-air without swooping down all the time.

EDIT: at least they're all glass cannons at early stages

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 21, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't beat Ultron or trials near my level. I'm using synergy attacks and everything but the AI partners just suck and constantly get hit by attacks.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

DLC Inc posted:

I think I've fought Kingpin like 8 loving times lol. I legit can not beat this rear end in a top hat.

edit: I think I'm either underleveled or being on Mighty difficulty is not a good idea at all. I have a team of mostly level 10s and when I tried the doc ock infinity trial I was doing like 10 damage per hit and got wiped the gently caress out. Somehow I think the difficulty is just loving whack because I assumed "lvl 10" meant I would be on par but now Iheard people are on like lvl 20 to beat that one. So I'm assuming the reason I get loving destroyed by Kingpin with my lvl 10 guys is the Mighty difficulty? Because I really have no idea why I can barely make a dent while getting one-shotted by things.

double edit: nvm just used an experience orb each to get my team all to level 11, and then beat Kingpin without any issues. jesus this game's balancing is either weird or the gains from leveling are way more than I thought.

If it's the Doc Ock Trial I'm thinking of, that one is labeled as Synergy Trial and the only way to do any meaningful damage is with Synergy attacks (aka the combining special moves thing using the attack traits in that chart up the last page).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I managed to bug my team into having two Luke Cage's by playing his solo level but I can't figure out how to do it again...

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Darkmoon2k posted:

I slapped this together in mspaint.

Wish the game actually told us all of the synergies because even this is incomplete. Like charge is listed as a synergy type, but not what it synergizes with (burn is one of them, because Cap's 1st skill + Crystal's 1st work together). Same with burst synergy of Scarlet Witch's 1st (which I think synergizes with whirlwind).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't even think about it. I pick my characters and always have some sort of synergy, and I haven't been unable to break a special barrier yet. I think there's a enough synergy overlap that it isn't necessary to think about it so much.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Brevik and Wife playing MUA3:
https://clips.twitch.tv/HonestAwkwardDragonfruitFloof

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

RatHat posted:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't beat Ultron or trials near my level. I'm using synergy attacks and everything but the AI partners just suck and constantly get hit by attacks.

The AI is dumber than a bag of bricks as per Team Ninja standards so don't expect them to do anything more complex than "hit the enemy closest to them".

I've never even seen them synergize off of other AI party members, which makes the Synergy Trials absolutely infuriating.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It really feels like Cyclops and Colossus were cut shortly before release. The game being rushed would explain a lot.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

RatHat posted:

It really feels like Cyclops and Colossus were cut shortly before release. The game being rushed would explain a lot.

It would explain why everything feels like a first draft and all the costumes are just palette swaps.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
The combo system is literally just mashing one button. Even Dynasty Warriors at least let you finish with a strong attack for gently caress's sake!

It's weird because there is clearly work and polish put into the game but not on the most important bits (mechanics / game feel / poo poo that Marvel fans would be into like the costumes). It's like they ran a marathon and then went for a coffee on the last mile.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

RatHat posted:

Ended up just ignoring my teammates, since they'd be dead by the halfway point anyway. Whenever he goes off the ground and his buddies fire those giant beams, or the self destructing ones show up, I just hovered on the right side where the force field starts. Then just dropped down on him for a few hits before running back to that safe spot.

I'm only doing trials ten levels below me. Also found an extra revive perk in the top left hex, hopefully that helps.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

assuming that cycling through heroes at every SHIELD marker actually did leave me underleveled for poo poo since when Wasp joined the team she was like 5 or 6 levels above my entire roster lol. I guess that's the price paid for playing so many characters and I'll have to use those exp orbs/play Infinity a bunch

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The X-mansion level was such higher quality than the ones before it that it must have been the level they designed first.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

RatHat posted:

Ultron took me a bunch of tries but basically:

1)Level your squad up some more, if need be.

2)Make sure your characters have some effective synergy attacks that you can spam on Ultron when he's staggered/stunned. I was using a Wolverine/Iron Man attack that could take out the first two bar segments in one shot (apiece) if timed right.

3)Hope your AI idiots don't all die during the last phase when he rolls out the kamikaze bots. If you can save your quad ultimate attack for this phase, obviously that will help a lot.

I also stacked a regen ISO-8 on Wolvie's healing factor, which helped keep his life up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh wait, you can use the Extreme attacks from the start? I was waiting for the game to introduce the mechanic. Oops

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
My team right now is Wolverine, Psylocke, Nightcrawler and Deadpool and I play Wolverine because he has some uppercut ability synergy with Deadpool and Nightcrawler that just absolutely wrecks any bosses health. I got through the timed trial with Doc Ock x2 + Green Goblin with ease.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RatHat posted:

Oh wait, you can use the Extreme attacks from the start? I was waiting for the game to introduce the mechanic. Oops

there are def a few things they don't explain too well especially the difference between using R/ZR for solo skills or synergy things. They expect you to just press A randomly in the chance an AI partner is doing a skill for synergies which would be crazy.

I feel like now things are opening up more with the ISO-8 stuff so characters will be less fragile and be able to specialize in things more. My problem is I like to play as a lot of the roster and it'll only get worse when so many are underleveled lol so I'm trying not to let that drive me nuts.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This is very important information that everyone needs to know:

Crystal does the Naruto run.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Is there any reason to not immediately rank up skills? I saw they took some special currency but it didn't seem very rare.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Woozy posted:

Is there any reason to not immediately rank up skills? I saw they took some special currency but it didn't seem very rare.

Saving some for heroes later down the line if you like them more. Unless you're doing Infinity Trials, upgrading abilities to their highest points takes about 12 orbs for each hero which doesn't seem high but can rack up fast if you're just upgrading heroes willy nilly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you use credits for anything outside of the Lab enhancement web thing? I've been spending a lot there but I don't want to suddenly have something new and very important to spend them on and not have any.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Later on you can use them to upgrade your ISO-8 crystals but to it looked more cost effective to use them on lab enhancements from what I saw.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
This game owns. The biggest gripes I have so far is that they to make match making better and/or just give us an infinite adventure mode like Diablo 3. Other than that, I’m really loving it. Can’t wait to try it coop.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tomahawk posted:

Wolverine because he has some uppercut ability synergy with Deadpool

They need to add shadowcat and a pvp mode so i can reenact this

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ms Marvel is bae

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

hcreight posted:

Later on you can use them to upgrade your ISO-8 crystals but to it looked more cost effective to use them on lab enhancements from what I saw.

Once you get outside the middle grid the orbs or whatever become the bottleneck so you'll get tons of credits to use for ISO-8 enhancement.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rocket says Peter Parker should shut the hell up so now Rocket is my friend.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

bushisms.txt posted:

They need to add shadowcat and a pvp mode so i can reenact this

the best thing was how MvC3 made Deadpool's launcher a Shoryuken because of this comic

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think the best stagger characters for me right now are Venom and Iron Fist. Venom Fang just has loving crazy stagger damage from early upgrades and Iron Fist seems to get Synergy moves from almost every possible team; he always has at least one and his specials come out super fast.

The hardest things to make work for synergy attacks are the buttonmash attacks that characters like Wolverine/Ms Marvel/Daredevil have which root you in one place, though those moves can completely destroy bosses if they're stunned and you keep mashing the synergy-boosted ability on them.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Finished the game last night, mixed feelings. It was fun/ok, but there's so much potential for this universe in a video game and it just never lives up to what are probably unrealistic expectations.

Does anyone have any strats on character optimization? Even after finishing the game I don't really know what crystals to use. I mean I'm sure + damage and + ability damage are great, but I don't know for example how +4% damage compares to 500 strength. Or what Mastery even does.

There is an infinity trial that's annoying the hell out of me. The one where you refight the Sentinel boss and they want you to do 150k in synergy damage. There's another infinity trial where it asks you to do like 500k synergy damage and I got that easily with my current team, but it's not counting for the 150k trial. Anyone else beat that trial objective?

PeePot posted:

I'm only doing trials ten levels below me.

Either I'm bad at the game or this is a pro tip. Going into a trial that is your current level seems like a bad idea.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 22, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The only real gripe I have is choice paralysis. I want to try new characters but I also don't want to rotate out Star Lord or Rocket.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Thoughts on the game after playing a bunch of co-op this weekend:

- The camera is seriously godawful. We had times where it would get glued staring at the floor of a corner while none of us nor the boss were visible. We also had one boss fight where the camera glitched outside of the building completely and we had to fight entirely using the minimap. I hope they fix this somehow but I'm not holding my breath.

- The game throws a ton of characters at you real fast but if you switch around and try to level them evenly while playing story you will quickly end up in a situation where you're constantly 10+ levels under the recommended level for a chapter. We stuck with this until we got most of the cast to 20, used XP cubes to get the rest to 20, then started focusing our resources on a set team of 4.

- Most Synergy Attack bonuses seem to just be damage boosts, at least according to the tips section. The only two that list other effects are the Slam+Slam one (ground stumble) and the Launch+Launch one (which... launches enemies). Maybe some of the other ones make it easier to inflict the elemental statuses or something? It'd be nice if there were more diversity there, though.

- Characters who can take advantage of the Synergy Attack system solo are really nice to have around. I spent a lot of time shooting out tornadoes with Star Lord or Crystal and then using one of their other elemental abilities to trigger the Synergy instead of relying on tight timing with teammates. Speaking of...

- The timing on some Synergy Attacks is suuuper tight. I know the A button prompt is supposed to help with this but there are some attacks that seem to give less than a second to see and react to that prompt or the colored arrow line that appears.

- I didn't know anything about her before this but Ms. Marvel is super cool. It does help quite a bit that her 3rd special is an insane stagger gauge destroyer and her second special shreds life bars on stunned enemies when mashed.

Despite our issues with the camera and with some awkward menu stuff in Hero Select (having to back out with B to ready up tripped us up for a bit), we had a lot of fun both as a full team of 4 and also as 2 or 3 human players and AI over the course of the weekend.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

katkillad2 posted:

Finished the game last night, mixed feelings. It was fun/ok, but there's so much potential for this universe in a video game and it just never lives up to what are probably unrealistic expectations.

Does anyone have any strats on character optimization? Even after finishing the game I don't really know what crystals to use. I mean I'm sure + damage and + ability damage are great, but I don't know for example how +4% damage compares to 500 strength. Or what Mastery even does.

There is an infinity trial that's annoying the hell out of me. The one where you refight the Sentinel boss and they want you to do 150k in synergy damage. There's another infinity trial where it asks you to do like 500k synergy damage and I got that easily with my current team, but it's not counting for the 150k trial. Anyone else beat that trial objective?

Either I'm bad at the game or this is a pro tip. Going into a trial that is your current level seems like a bad idea.

Definitely check out the Tips menu in the System menu because the game will not explain to you a lot of things that are in there, including what the 6 base stats actually are. The simple version, though, is that VIT and Energy are 1-to-1 with HP and EP, Strength affects physical damage which is anything with a Melee fist icon, Gun projectile icon, or Piercing sword icon. Mastery affects Ethereal and whatever the last damage type is (Energy?) which are the other two icons, one kinda looks like an atom or something and the other is a wave I think? Durability is physical defense and Resilience is mastery defense.

For that trial you're talking about, we couldn't get that one either. I assume the best thing to try would be to stun it with the bombs and then do some synergies involving tornadoes and electricity, but maybe there's a better plan out there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Definitely check out the Tips menu in the System menu because the game will not explain to you a lot of things that are in there, including what the 6 base stats actually are. The simple version, though, is that VIT and Energy are 1-to-1 with HP and EP, Strength affects physical damage which is anything with a Melee fist icon, Gun projectile icon, or Piercing sword icon. Mastery affects Ethereal and whatever the last damage type is (Energy?) which are the other two icons, one kinda looks like an atom or something and the other is a wave I think? Durability is physical defense and Resilience is mastery defense.

They mean that they want to know the exact formulas for the stats. Like how much Strength=1% more damage?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
This game desperately needs a Danger Room training mode. I suppose the challenge rifts could be used for that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

This game desperately needs a Danger Room training mode. I suppose the challenge rifts could be used for that.

They mentioned DLC is going to bring "new modes" so maybe it could happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

RatHat posted:

They mean that they want to know the exact formulas for the stats. Like how much Strength=1% more damage?

Oh, gotcha. You can actually figure that out pretty easily because your characters' 6 stats are displayed numerically on the Hero Info page in the Team menu (the one where the stat hexagon is on the right and their abilities are on the left). You could very easily try an ISO, check for the orange + number under that stat which represents the bonuses to that stat from equipment and team synergies, then switch to a different ISO and see if it goes up/down. That;s what we did, anyway.