Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Zoig posted:

You can now play samurai and red mage. To get to ishgard and heavensward, keep doing main story quests

i guess the only req for them is lvl 50, which i got a few days ago on ninja. cause i started a samurai then. i just now beat the msq at lvl 56 as a dragoon lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

You can also do the crystal tower if you’d like a change of pace

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So here's a thing that's starting to annoy me: tanks that wait for people to catch up to boss rooms.

Like, let's say a dps dies during a trash pull, and they release. The tank sits at the boss room entrance and waits for the dps to run aaaaaaall the way there. Instead, they could just start the fight, and in 15 seconds the dps will be instantly teleported to the boss room.

it's dumb and I see it while healing all the time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

So here's a thing that's starting to annoy me: tanks that wait for people to catch up to boss rooms.

Like, let's say a dps dies during a trash pull, and they release. The tank sits at the boss room entrance and waits for the dps to run aaaaaaall the way there. Instead, they could just start the fight, and in 15 seconds the dps will be instantly teleported to the boss room.

People aren't used to the room being sectioned off allowing you to get zapped into the room.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tabletops posted:

so i just beat ultimate weapon.

do I have to do anything else to access the expansion content or whatever? or can i just skip all the old stuff and go straight in?

you can't skip any old msq stuff unless you want to pay.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tabletops posted:

so i just beat ultimate weapon.

do I have to do anything else to access the expansion content or whatever? or can i just skip all the old stuff and go straight in?

you have literally 100 mandatory main story quests before you can access Heavensward

it's worth the effort though

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fister Roboto posted:

They're just trying to be polite. There's a middle ground between respecting the content and being galled that somebody has the nerve to add ten seconds to your Hollminster Switch run.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cabbit posted:

They're just trying to be polite. There's a middle ground between respecting the content and being galled that somebody has the nerve to add ten seconds to your Hollminster Switch run.

What's polite about that? They're forcing someone to run all the way back to the boss instead of letting them instantly teleport.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been reading some older posts in the thread, specifically about the 12 gods possibly being part of the Wol's group that summoned Hydaelyn. 13 vs 13 and all that.

Isn't one of the gods actually twin gods? Nald'Thal is the twins Nald and Thal. So that would be actually 14 people to summon the primal to shatter the world into 14 parts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The level 50 DRG armor is so bad, but I love the level 60 armor.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fister Roboto posted:

What's polite about that? They're forcing someone to run all the way back to the boss instead of letting them instantly teleport.

You would be surprised at how many people still don't know that's a thing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Solitair posted:

Got any advice? I still need twelve wins in Feast and my win rating is below 25%.

Maybe try a different class? I had a much easier time after switching to AST. It's probably the best healer since it has buffs that completely remove casting time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I was going to write a whole new effortpost about how I'd pare down Emet-Selch in the story without breaking it or losing anything, but then I suddenly remembered I've utterly baffled friends by also not liking Gosetsu and Hien. And I'm now starting to suspect I'm somehow playing a different FFXIV to everyone else where everyone's written totally differently, because I can't understand why people like Gosetsu and nobody else can understand why I don't.

If I say the best non-Shadowbringers story is Alexander, does that sound like moon-speak to anyone?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

If I say the best non-Shadowbringers story is Alexander, does that sound like moon-speak to anyone?

The is literally one of the worst takes I've heard about FFXIV, so yes. Probably the worst raid story, competing with Omega as a whole, but worse overall.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I bet you like OG Minfillia.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe they don't know? I honestly forgot until you said something. It wasn't like that for many years. I'm sure if you remind them 99% of them would be like "oh, right lol".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Leal posted:

I bet you like OG Minfillia.

I liked OG Minfilia.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can't pare down Emet-Selch without losing anything because you'd be losing Emet-Selch.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Alexander story is an incredibly good time travel love story, so I wouldn't expect mmo players to care much for it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

desudrive posted:

Maybe they don't know? I honestly forgot until you said something. It wasn't like that for many years. I'm sure if you remind them 99% of them would be like "oh, right lol".

I know I've totally forgotten about it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Cabbit posted:

I’m level 62 and I had no idea. I figured it the wall went up I was locked out.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I mean that's how it worked for a long time and they never updated the messaging you suggest otherwise

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

desudrive posted:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People aren't used to the room being sectioned off allowing you to get zapped into the room.

Cabbit posted:

Yeah I know they don't know. It's still pretty annoying! Especially when you're the dead dps, and you say "go ahead and start the fight, don't wait for me" and they don't do that!!!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SirSamVimes posted:

You can't pare down Emet-Selch without losing anything because you'd be losing Emet-Selch.

My idea was basically finding a way to keep his exposition in the Greatwood and Amh without keeping him, while still having him around for everything past Kholusia.

And I liked OG Minfilia's accent. I didn't really like or hate her beyond that, she wasn't really strong enough in any real direction. And Alphinaud was being a lightning rod for most of my hatred in the time she was around, so Min got away pretty unscathed.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

SirSamVimes posted:

you have literally 100 mandatory main story quests before you can access Heavensward

it's worth the effort though

jesus i just looked it up you weren't exaggerating

gently caress my life what the gently caress

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

The Alexander story is an incredibly good time travel love story, so I wouldn't expect mmo players to care much for it

Alex gave us Rise, a raid mechanic where you literally save yourself in the past to avoid a time paradox, and a cute cat. So it isn't all bad.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Tabletops posted:

jesus i just looked it up you weren't exaggerating

gently caress my life what the gently caress

Welcome to the biggest hurdle to this game getting a solid new player base! You can buckle down and plough through them or fork over some dollaroos to skip it. Either way, it’s a lovely part of the game and I hope square fixes it some day soon.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Alex story is mediocre but it has some of my favorite fights, especially the last two.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Guess who got three lines

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cleretic posted:

I was going to write a whole new effortpost about how I'd pare down Emet-Selch in the story without breaking it or losing anything, but then I suddenly remembered I've utterly baffled friends by also not liking Gosetsu and Hien. And I'm now starting to suspect I'm somehow playing a different FFXIV to everyone else where everyone's written totally differently, because I can't understand why people like Gosetsu and nobody else can understand why I don't.

Yes. You're literally a space alien.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I'd say you have some unique taste. Why Alexander?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Truth Quark posted:

Welcome to the biggest hurdle to this game getting a solid new player base! You can buckle down and plough through them or fork over some dollaroos to skip it. Either way, it’s a lovely part of the game and I hope square fixes it some day soon.

i can't believe i'm thinking of buying a thing to skip content, what the poo poo.

that is kind of awful. how long does it take?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It shouldn't take more than a few evenings, and if you care about the overall plot there is important stuff in there.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
boy i've already started getting a little bored because i haven't unlocked any new skills or gotten any better gear or anything. I really miss that advancement :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tabletops posted:

i can't believe i'm thinking of buying a thing to skip content, what the poo poo.

that is kind of awful. how long does it take?
Its probably like another 10-15 hours worth of stuff, of which 3/4ths of it is actually pretty good. First patch and a half/two patches is rough stuff though

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Its probably like another 10-15 hours worth of stuff, of which 3/4ths of it is actually pretty good. First patch and a half/two patches is rough stuff though

I pretty much tell anyone starting out to treat FFXIV like a true JRPG. Sure it might be kinda blah at the start, but it picks up.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Note Block posted:

I pretty much tell anyone starting out to treat FFXIV like a true JRPG. Sure it might be kinda blah at the start, but it picks up.

as someone who loves the rpg character systems in JRPGs (and their goofy stories) this news is pretty grim tbh

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'd say you have some unique taste. Why Alexander?

First of all, it of course helps a lot that all of its characters both new and returning are generally pretty charming and I like being around them. That doesn't make a story enjoyable to me by itself, but it lets me digest it easier (Omega's similarly just all charming, smart characters, but that's barely even a story).

But I'd say the main reason I like Alexander is that it takes two disconnected parts of the story that haven't been fully explored (primals, and the Illuminati) and puts them together to not only explore both of them, but other concepts as well, in a style unlike the rest of the games. We see a primal that isn't really a 'god', as well as one that isn't necessarily malevolent. We get a lot of neat, fairly small-scale time travel. We get a look at both an approach and scale of technology that isn't the usual Allagan and Garlean.

I guess I'm in a weird spot where, while I like the game's writing and characters, I'm not engaged with the main story they want to tell, it feels like fairly standard high fantasy with interesting concepts and characters in the margins that occasionally get explored in side content (similarly, I like the hints we see of the age of Nym, Amdapor and especially Mhach). It's also why I liked most of Shadowbringers, it felt like almost a whole expansion of one of those side-stories while the main plot's going on somewhere else, and I don't think it's a coincidence that I switched off the moment the main story barged back in, even if it came with some neat ideas I'd like as an isolated experience.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Depths posted:

Guess who got three lines
so did you spend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How do you farm Tomestones of Goetia? This is the first time I've actually reached endgame content (I only finished Stormblood MSQ months before Shadowbringers), and the last story dungeon is pretty difficult (in the two runs I've had, the healer dies to the first boss). There are better dungeons to run... I hope?

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 22, 2019