Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

congrats to all the libertarians out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'splatoon is fun, why haven't i played ranked in like half a year--'

[immediately runs into clam blitz match with 6 players using dualies]

'oh right'

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeruel posted:

Wow, thought that was gonna be close but apparently not!

I mean, it was close if you look at the numbers, popularity aside; 51.39% to 48.61% for Normal and 50.34% to 49.66% for Pro are both pretty close. It was technically a sweep for Chaos, but the margins weren't overwhelming.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Brother Entropy posted:

'splatoon is fun, why haven't i played ranked in like half a year--'

[immediately runs into clam blitz match with 6 players using dualies]

'oh right'

I played against a Chaos team that was clearly people who knew each other, each one was using a different kind of dualie and they loving destroyed us, it was embarrassing as hell.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Nah, I'm still planning on getting to rank X.

In the meantime Octo Expansion is on sale currently with a 30% price cut.

Where do you see the discount, I'm looking at the eshop and don't see it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I played against a Chaos team that was clearly people who knew each other, each one was using a different kind of dualie and they loving destroyed us, it was embarrassing as hell.

oh yeah i ran into one of those, japanese names and all wearing the same halloween hat

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Where do you see the discount, I'm looking at the eshop and don't see it

Ah, looks like it's limited to Europe. Well, too bad. Keep following the official channels in case anything changes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ACAB

All Chaos Are Buddies. Good fighting squiddos. Even if you fought against Marie.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You can clown the majority of dualies players once you understand a lot of them do nothing but zip around , which has a nice long rear end cooldown when they expend their 2nd/4th dash. They frequently don't show any imagination and take direct lines so if you're looking you can start to guess where they're going to end up. The scary ones dash seemingly at random and will play range games

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
So in the end.. It was Pearl who won the one battle that mattered. She lost many times to Marina's.. Assets but when it counted the most.. CHAOS REIGNS. AHAHAAH

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Logical1234 posted:

So in the end.. It was Pearl who won the one battle that mattered. She lost many times to Marina's.. Assets but when it counted the most.. CHAOS REIGNS. AHAHAAH

I like to imagine that the popularity wasn't due to order being fascist but rather because everyone felt bad that Pearl had seen the Internet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't understand why this has the be the last splatfest. Is it really too much effort to make these? And are all the shifty stations just gone forever?

It seems like such a waste. Why can't they just do a generic splatfest where you pick like Kids vs. Squids or something, have it go every other month, rotate through all the previously made Shift Stations. That would have to be the most zero effort thing to do, and they won't do it?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Astro7x posted:

I don't understand why this has the be the last splatfest. Is it really too much effort to make these? And are all the shifty stations just gone forever?

It seems like such a waste. Why can't they just do a generic splatfest where you pick like Kids vs. Squids or something, have it go every other month, rotate through all the previously made Shift Stations. That would have to be the most zero effort thing to do, and they won't do it?

The Shifty Stations and Splatfest modes will be available in Private Battles when 5.0.0 drops. Presumably you could do small tourneys or just online goon gatherings with it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, I really felt like they should have gone at least another year. They could have just done Splatoon 1 rematches and I would have been happy.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

There's probably a lot of secondary stuff that splatfests require, like extra moderation because there's more posts or putting up more match making servers cause more players etc. Hard to really know.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
It's over, roll the credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUzFuE6D6nE

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope that the custom game stuff includes the team titles based on composition and gear, because I want to see more of those and also they're just neat and funny. Especially the really, really long ones that arise sometimes.

Edit:

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 22, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This is awesome.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

i love this stupid game :unsmith:

i cannot believe they snuck pearl's mayo rap in at the end

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
:smith:

Don't cry because it's over,
Smile because it happened.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love the credit music

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do we have an eta on 5.0.0 or any other changes that may be coming with it?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I should write some "thank you for giving the new folks a crack at something new cause they NAILED IT" to Nintendo

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

LethalGeek posted:

I should write some "thank you for giving the new folks a crack at something new cause they NAILED IT" to Nintendo

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

LethalGeek posted:

A quote that is not empty

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Rewatched Octoexpansion trailer. Still really dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBr6GqyuWnA

LethalGeek posted:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That credits video was really sweet, gosh.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I can't possibly know how many manhours it took to maintain splatfests, but it seems very much like Nintendo to want to be completely done with a game so all the team members can move on to something else.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
The 5.0.0 update will be postponed to a later date. But what is known that the update will give players Splatfest t-shirts with ability doublers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Also Shellendorf Institute is going thru remodelling.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I only just got to see the credits video, and props to Nintendo I guess for making me feel nostalgic for something that was still going less than a full day ago.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Zeruel posted:

Rewatched Octoexpansion trailer. Still really dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBr6GqyuWnA

I like going back to this trailer sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzuOw50zmbU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

I can't possibly know how many manhours it took to maintain splatfests, but it seems very much like Nintendo to want to be completely done with a game so all the team members can move on to something else.

Splatfests really would have a lot going on under the hood logistically, even with the amount of automation they've built into it. The least of it being having to build and playtest a new map, (nevermind using entirely new gimmicks taken from the single-player mode), in the span of a month. That is a pretty drat tall order for once a month, every month, over several years.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Splatfests really would have a lot going on under the hood logistically, even with the amount of automation they've built into it. The least of it being having to build and playtest a new map, (nevermind using entirely new gimmicks taken from the single-player mode), in the span of a month. That is a pretty drat tall order for once a month, every month, over several years.

The map isn't what appeals to me about Splatfests. It's a the simple motivation of voting for a side and then stuffing your enemies face into your paint to prove that it's better.

Just give me more arbitrary poo poo to vote on again, or just repeat the whole cycle again so that those who lost the first time can strike back in revenge.

It's a format I want for Smash and heck any multiplayer game. Just call your vote a loose affiliation and if your side wins it's cause you wanted it more or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The map isn't what appeals to me about Splatfests. It's a the simple motivation of voting for a side and then stuffing your enemies face into your paint to prove that it's better.

Just give me more arbitrary poo poo to vote on again, or just repeat the whole cycle again so that those who lost the first time can strike back in revenge.

It's a format I want for Smash and heck any multiplayer game. Just call your vote a loose affiliation and if your side wins it's cause you wanted it more or something.

That's not all that goes into it though, even without a new map; They'd have to pick a topic and get it approved. Then get someone to do art for it, potentially several pieces with a final selection process, probably along with approval and feedback. Marketing gets involved for social media. Dialogue has to be written for Pearl and Marina. Often also localized in multiple languages for the same topic if it's a global one, or uniquely-written for the relevant region. There's a lot more than just "assign Team A choice, assign Team B choice, toggle $Splatfest = Yes", and that kind of routine can only be kept up so long before people burn out on it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Amppelix posted:

There’s probably some planning/pre-production they want to start for 3 that they’d need this one over for too.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not all that goes into it though, even without a new map; They'd have to pick a topic and get it approved. Then get someone to do art for it, potentially several pieces with a final selection process, probably along with approval and feedback. Marketing gets involved for social media. Dialogue has to be written for Pearl and Marina. Often also localized in multiple languages for the same topic if it's a global one, or uniquely-written for the relevant region. There's a lot more than just "assign Team A choice, assign Team B choice, toggle $Splatfest = Yes", and that kind of routine can only be kept up so long before people burn out on it.

They could literally reuse all this stuff from previous Splatfests. Yes, even the topics. It'd be better than killing off one of their flagship titles when they haven't even started working on the sequel.

It's just gonna turn people off the game for no good reason. It would've made a lot more sense to hold this event closer to Splatoon 3's release.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

The 5.0.0 update will be postponed to a later date. But what is known that the update will give players Splatfest t-shirts with ability doublers.

The tweet only says it will come by the end of July. There's nothing there about a delay. :confused:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

kidfresca posted:

The tweet only says it will come by the end of July. There's nothing there about a delay. :confused:

They expressed it poorly at some point, I was under the impression it would come out soon after Final Fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Also Shellendorf Institute is going thru remodelling.

It took them long enough but if the final patch to this game spins this horrible piece of crap into a fun level the Splatoon team really is staffed exclusively by wizards and wish granters