Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there anything from Hitchens worth reading? I figure it's some light ranting, good enough for a car drive. Yes, no?

e: ugh shameful snipe

mike12345 has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

This is my first Mishima and I'm going in blind, I'm sorry to hear that. Should I begin with a different one?

nah it's a good book. i really like his stuff but dude himself is pretty fash. if you dig sailor check out the tetraology. it's pretty amazing throughout though book 3 is pretty wildly different

also read The Wasp Factory

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jerry seinfel posted:

nah it's a good book. i really like his stuff but dude himself is pretty fash. if you dig sailor check out the tetraology. it's pretty amazing throughout though book 3 is pretty wildly different

also read The Wasp Factory

can't be as bad as Heinlein in terms of fashy books I guess

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Epic High Five posted:

can't be as bad as Heinlein in terms of fashy books I guess

Heinlein never had the balls to attempt a literal military coup

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Heinlein never had the balls to attempt a literal military coup

I don't think he ever saw the military as an issue, like in Starship Troopers it's literally "oh and the military is the ultimate arbiter of who is a citizen and who isn't and thus wields ultimate power over all things, but they don't abuse that power and never will so it's not a problem. Moving along..."

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

mike12345 posted:

Is there anything from Hitchens worth reading? I figure it's some light ranting, good enough for a car drive. Yes, no?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missionary_Position:_Mother_Teresa_in_Theory_and_Practice

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

im reading John Brown, Abolitionist: The Man Who Killed Slavery, Sparked the Civil War, and Seeded Civil Rights

john brown owns

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

jerry seinfel posted:

im reading John Brown, Abolitionist: The Man Who Killed Slavery, Sparked the Civil War, and Seeded Civil Rights

john brown owns

i looked it up after your post. i picked up a copy through audible because i spend hours a day on the road. looking forward to learning more about brown. thanks!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Not far down my list is WEB DuBois' book on John Brown and I'm stoked

Fire on the Mountain was a really fun, short book and alternate history if only because it presents our timeline as basically trash

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think he ever saw the military as an issue, like in Starship Troopers it's literally "oh and the military is the ultimate arbiter of who is a citizen and who isn't and thus wields ultimate power over all things, but they don't abuse that power and never will so it's not a problem. Moving along..."

I need to give Stranger in a Strange Land and Moon is a Harsh Mistress a read. I read Starship Troopers in high school and let's say the politics rubbed me the wrong way and I have gone further to left since then, but he does have his admires.

side_burned has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Jul 22, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

side_burned posted:

I need to give Stranger in a Strange Land and Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I read Starship Troopers in high school and let's say the politics rubbed me the wrong way and I have gone further to left since then, but he does have his admires.

haven't read stranger but if you thought the politics parts of Starship Troopers were bad you'll loving hate MiaHM, it's very slightly more coherent but the oomph is taken out of every single critical event because of Orson Scott Card levels of Mary Sue reliance

If you want "what the gently caress WHO wrote this?" I also recommend Childhood's End

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Admitedly I haven't read either of them in like 15 or 20 years but The Moon is a Harsh Mistress makes Starship Troopers feel grounded and realistic by comparison.

Childhood's End is a good read if you ignore that one regrettable sentence about the suffering of those poor oppressed South African whites.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I don't have anything fun to share because I've been reading Spanish language books that haven't gotten translations yet, but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for space opera style books that aren't junk. Politics in space always hits the right spots for me but it's difficult for me to find good books in the genre.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Epic High Five posted:

haven't read stranger but if you thought the politics parts of Starship Troopers were bad you'll loving hate MiaHM, it's very slightly more coherent but the oomph is taken out of every single critical event because of Orson Scott Card levels of Mary Sue reliance

If you want "what the gently caress WHO wrote this?" I also recommend Childhood's End

I guess it is better to say I am puzzled by Hieland's reputation. Everything I have read and heard about says reactionary dipshit but his work is fantastic if you ignore his politics and fondness for teenage girls and only read these books. That is to say he sounds like and awful writer and person but at the same time some many people will passionately defend the work.

Edit: I did a Google image search on Childhood's End :wtf:

side_burned has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Jul 22, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

side_burned posted:

I guess it is better to say I am puzzled by Hieland's reputation. Everything I have read and heard about says reactionary dipshit but his work is fantastic if you ignore his politics and fondness for teenage girls and only read these books. That is to say he sounds like and awful writer and person but at the same time some many people will passionately defend the work.

Edit: I did a Google image search on Childhood's End :wtf:

Ya should've told you not to do that lol but i forgot they are making it a show and didn't run with that being a spoiler

It's still a good book, kinda dated in some ways but very much not what you'd expect from Clarke

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I"m going through On The Clock right now, the author was just on Trillbillies last week talking about the book. I'm a couple chapters into Amazon and and it's pretty bleak, but I don't know how it'll hold up over another 12 hours or so (listening to the Audible). Right now she's talking about the history of management quotas and relating the Simpsons and the guy who figured out how to set productivity goals slightly higher than most people could realistically achieve. There's a bit at the end of the first Amazon chapter that's basically just the Pulp song "Common People." "I know I can leave at any time."

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Epic High Five posted:

Ya should've told you not to do that lol but i forgot they are making it a show and didn't run with that being a spoiler

It's still a good book, kinda dated in some ways but very much not what you'd expect from Clarke

In all honesty that intrigued me enough to go check it out from the library.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

side_burned posted:

In all honesty that intrigued me enough to go check it out from the library.

Whatever you think it the reason you saw what you saw isn't nearly insane enough, it's a pretty wild book considering the author lol. Quick read too, highly recommended

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
This was probably already posted here but I just finished this. It's the kind of book that will piss you off.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25666062-listen-liberal

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Verso is having another one of their regular sales, this time 90% off ebooks. A pretty steep discount!

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

im on the net me boys posted:

Verso is having another one of their regular sales, this time 90% off ebooks. A pretty steep discount!

Thanks! I got a bunch even though I got so much to go through already.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Idia posted:

Thanks! I got a bunch even though I got so much to go through already.

someone in my DSA leadership chat called it Steam sales for commies and that's gonna stick for me I think

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

They have these sales often enough that there are still three Verso books I've not gotten to yet since their last big sale.
E: Going through my inbox, it seems that Verso aren't the only ones having a sale. PM Press has some new releases at half off with the code JULY until the end of the month.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

PM Press has some new releases at half off with the code JULY until the end of the month.

This isn't helping my addiction. Pluto press also has a sale on their ebooks ending today.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

some day books won't cost any money at all so we can at least look forward to that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

some day books won't cost any money at all so we can at least look forward to that

oh cool so a backlog that expands to the furthest reaches of infinity, THANKS

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

that said, are there any good ones from Pluto I should be picking up

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

that said, are there any good ones from Pluto I should be picking up

I got a People's History of the Portuguese Revolution, Red International and Black Carribean, The End of Jewish Modernity, and A Certain Amount of Madness: The Life, Politics and Legacies of Thomas Sankara. Maybe the Sankara one would be the best one since I haven't seen that many stuff written on him to begin with and he's beloved in CSPAM so why not. I just pick the others based on my own interest.

Today is the last day for the sale though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

libraries already exist!!!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Peanut President posted:

libraries already exist!!!

I mean new ones! I was at the library today!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

nice i just got 19 books for $20, i may never listen to another podcast again

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I can't recall the name of a book that I might be fever-dreaming about the origin of suburbs in the United States in the context of the automobile and the GI Bill... any ideas?

Or recommendations about the same subject?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

sounds like a book about levittown(s) to me.

this one sounds kinda neat: https://www.amazon.com/Levittown-Families-Tycoon-Americas-Legendary/dp/B00CC6QTM8

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Most of them already are :filez:

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I can't recall the name of a book that I might be fever-dreaming about the origin of suburbs in the United States in the context of the automobile and the GI Bill... any ideas?

Or recommendations about the same subject?

crabgrass frontier

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

ScrubLeague posted:

nice i just got 19 books for $20, i may never listen to another podcast again

These are ebooks not audiobooks, lmao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
horse_audiobooks

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna have to read like a dang dumb nerd

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

i'm reading the power broker by robert caro, it's lit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Uranium posted:

i'm reading the power broker by robert caro, it's lit

It owns. iirc recently he's expressed a liiiiittle contrition for totally destroying moses's reputation

I need to finish that LBJ series eventually