Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Spellman posted:

It's just weird, you'd think it would bottom out at 0, but who knows how Mario Maker really works

No, I've definitely gotten Maker Points back for deleting levels, even ones that seemed to be received pretty positively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Everytime you get a boo your score goes down. Obviously your score can't go past zero but a course can have a negative impact on your total score if it gets boo'd a lot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It also removes them from the endless pool faster, which is why I'm not shy about booing lovely courses that took no time to put together or bad troll levels.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ill leave trash levels alone if they were obviously made by a child, but anything with enemy spam, intentional softlocks, etc. gets booed and skipped

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discarded jam level idea #1: Mario World flying stage that plays John Williams's Superman score as the player flies through the level.

Control Volume posted:

Ill leave trash levels alone if they were obviously made by a child, but anything with enemy spam, intentional softlocks, etc. gets booed and skipped

I'm pretty free with my boos but they go to levels where there's fundamental problems with the design. However, the general populous out there seems to hand out boos for not liking the level concept while witholding the likes for only particularly thematic stages that are also very easy to play.

Unsound Logic
Jul 12, 2002

"Why don't you mosey along, pardner."

I made one of those 20 second speedrun levels, so mostly on/off hell with some precision jumps.

Pipe Dreams (20s)
8P2-PY6-JLF

Do plumbers dream at the speed of light? ...maybe

I tried my best to make it somewhat enjoyable and really like the way it turned out with the SMB3 Forest theme.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

This may be helpful for the Jam. (I'm using it, fair warning.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWDc1vGRRyM&hd=1

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Played a few levels on my stream today. It was mostly occupied by a non-goon kaizo level, but what are ya gonna do.

I delete these from my YouTube after like three days. Grab 'em with youtube-dl if you want.

e: Actually, I think like half of the levels I played were non-goon. Whoops!

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
EDIT: I had this level destroyed and burned so this post is no longer relevant.

Gnome Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 12, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unsound Logic posted:

I made one of those 20 second speedrun levels, so mostly on/off hell with some precision jumps.

Pipe Dreams (20s)
8P2-PY6-JLF

Do plumbers dream at the speed of light? ...maybe

I tried my best to make it somewhat enjoyable and really like the way it turned out with the SMB3 Forest theme.

I'm just going to have to go to bed having beaten this twice and someone else having a quicker time. The second time I ran it as tight as I could possibly see myself capable of, and I'm 0.063 slow.

Heck of a level. Tight as a tick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have a simple philosophy.

Did I have fun playing your level? You get a like.

Did I not have fun? You're probably getting a boo. There can be more thought that goes into it depending on how much effort I felt was put into a level (and how popular it is), but most of the time its just low-effort trash that gets a boo from me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm a little bit stingy with my likes—if there's a level that I recognize is well-designed but I don't personally enjoy, I don't feel obligated to give it a like. Boos I reserve for levels that are egregiously, unplayably bad, or ones in which the designer has obvious contempt for the player for even attempting to play their level. The more tiresome the way in which this is displayed, the more likely I am to do it—if I encounter a troll thwomp in a level in the endless challenge, even if I don't die to it, the level is getting booed and skipped.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i Boo every course with a Boo in it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If it's just ground floating over a void in random patterns with bricks everywhere and random stacks of enemies, I recognize a kid probably made it but I still boo it because stuff like that shouldn't be in the rotation.
If it's a short level with hazards literally littered at complete random (as in the person didn't figure out how to extend the stage and just filled that space with junk) I'll boo it.
If there are unfinished pipes then god nothing you could do could spare me from hitting it with a boo.
If there's a lazy boss fight arena that's just a bunch of red pipes with infinite fire flowers and bowser and nothing else interesting about it I'll boo it.
If I go into a pipe, a warp box or anything else that insta kills me with no warning then it's getting a boo too.
If I like the level and it includes a boo I will draw a boo for you.

If it looks like some effort went in but I just didn't have fun then I'll abstain.

alf_pogs posted:

i Boo every course with a Boo in it

I'm making a spooky level please do not play it :(

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 22, 2019

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I Boo every course without a Boo in it.

There's no escape.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I just goomba every course into the ground

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Made a new level, couldn't decide between a Sky level or a Castle level, so I mushed them together and came out with:
Clouds n' Castles
GS4-NQD-7RF

I wanted this to feel like a mid to late level Nintendo course, so it's pretty long and challenging (with two checkpoints though).

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 22, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

And so the list grows ever longer, vast and unceasing.

Midnight Antics XY1-W2F-HYF
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1153152975080022016

Brick And Murder 4HX-HRD-3RG
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1153152482475773953

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's weird when you're playing as a toad and the game tells you to finish a level as Super Mario.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
If I ended a level thinking "that was pretty fun", it gets a like. If I didn't, it gets nothing. Boos are reserved for levels that go beyond not being fun and are straight up an affront to the very concept of entertainment, e.g. that feature invisible blocks near pits, unescapable traps or softlocks, and the like. (Except if the stage is blatantly and deliberately a troll level, of course.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If the softlock is something that comes off as a genuine accident or something that just got overlooked I'll still probably give the stage a I like it even if I have to reset- just because man I've been there before in trying to decorate a stage and whoops something I didn't consider came up.

But if it's something meant to gently caress you over and waste your time then I boo it and leave a message at the start of the stage saying "you should skip it, this stage wastes your time."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think the first boo I gave out was to a level that was not overly terrible until the boss, which was a ton of bowsers/boom booms/random poo poo in an enclosed room with multiple infinitely respawning powerups. I spent forever in there getting juggled between them and not dying, finally someone dropped a key, and I opened the door to get out... only for it to drop me above another locked door I couldn't open. You were supposed to get four keys out of that mess, and there was no way to go back.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Dang, you guys are putting out a lot of awesome levels!

Mount Mario is the best mountain climbing level I've come across, you can really feel the adventure and the energy and the sense of triumph as you scale that thing! And the flagpole at the end was a lovely touch.

Mansion of Dr. Bones was so well-thought-out and well-presented. I loved atmosphere you put together with the house, and the interconnected nature of all the puzzles.

Prickly Planation - Terrific setting. I liked the level of challenge you've got. A good sense of classic Mario challenge. I know there have been complaints about getting a lot of spiny spikes collecting on the screen during the underground bit, but it didn't seem to be too much of a problem as long as you take it slowly. And having a cape and a Goombud handy to deflect spikes doesn't hurt. I admit I missed the last chunk of level because I was spin-jumping along a right-flying Spiny looking for secrets. But it's all good!

I've got one new level myself:

Mario Just Wants Some Sleep
D1P-VDV-F3G

It's kind of a silly premise. It's also my first attempt at a level with a clear condition, so I kinda over-compensated not having checkpoints to work with by making this a level with no powerups or enemies or hurting hazards. Just platforming and "annoying" sorts of obstacles.

Also, I get to join the "What the heck, my level exploded while I wasn't looking" gang!

Hooray!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1153115591152230400

This week's jam is based off an RPG jam we did on the forums a couple years ago.
The theme is "Mario Mixtape" which is to say, you should make a course based off the name of a song, or it's theme.

Too bad they got rid of Weird Mario, I could have done Creep by Radiohead. :argh:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I am confused about music. It seems like you can put music on mario to change the stage music, but any other usage of music blocks only seems to play a short snippet. Is there a way to change the music and keep playing it? Like say, if i want one theme for the level, then the boss theme plays for the whole boss fight, then you get a victory fanfare and it's back to the original theme. is that possible? I feel like i'm seeing that on streamer levels

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, more jam levels. For my amusement now, I'm trying to get the world record on all of these.

The Super Monty Mole Proxy
3M8-07T-C2G
By: Brightman

A cute concept, but I think I broke the stage by running through everything. The Monty Mole got killed by something offscreen and I just got through the door without doing anything.

Catching up on the thread and I'd just like to say that nothing was broken here, as it was in the Hudsucker proxy (spoilers for a 25 year old movie and my level I guess) Monty Mole jumped out of the building to his death and the proxy, in the movie Tim Robbins in this Mario, is essentially given the keys to the castle. Later on you see his angel and you're given a second (chance at) life (the 1-up).

Now back to catching up and emailing myself a shitload of level codes for later.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ignite Memories posted:

I am confused about music. It seems like you can put music on mario to change the stage music, but any other usage of music blocks only seems to play a short snippet. Is there a way to change the music and keep playing it? Like say, if i want one theme for the level, then the boss theme plays for the whole boss fight, then you get a victory fanfare and it's back to the original theme. is that possible? I feel like i'm seeing that on streamer levels

So if you play my most recent level, I sort of did that? What you have to do is put the music on Mario, then, say, if you want different music in a sublevel, put the music on the pipe that leads out of the sublevel and spam it everywhere so that the player never goes very long without hitting the trigger (which won't start it over and over but rather signal to the game to just continue it), then put the boss music actually on the boss, then do the victory fanfare in a place Mario will walk over (perhaps the pipe out of the sublevel or the door out of the boss fight), and then once he gets away from the victory fanfare, the fact that he is away from any music spam overriding the music that is actually attached to him, it will resume the music stuck to him.

Edit: Level code, for example: JTL-C0J-8DF

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 22, 2019

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ok so new instances of the same music trigger in the background will not trigger new instances of the song but continue the same one. Thank you, this is very helpful

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sam Faust posted:

And so the list grows ever longer, vast and unceasing.

Midnight Antics XY1-W2F-HYF
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1153152975080022016

Brick And Murder 4HX-HRD-3RG
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1153152482475773953

I liked both of these but the second could use some extra power ups to make up for the lack of checkpoints. I died toward the end after several attempts and couldn’t be bothered to go through all of that again for the clear.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Made a new level, couldn't decide between a Sky level or a Castle level, so I mushed them together and came out with:
Clouds n' Castles
GS4-NQD-7RF

I wanted this to feel like a mid to late level Nintendo course, so it's pretty long and challenging (with two checkpoints though).
This was a really great traditional platforming level. My only nitpick is I think the level was long enough to justify adjusting the time limit up from the default. I didn’t timeout but was down to 40 seconds.

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Hey goons, thanks for playing my levels. You're beautiful! Don't ever change (you know what I mean!).

XK9-LSG-QNG - The Uncanny Maison

I quit at the conveyor belt section because there was no indication of where to land.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 22, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Coming back to Mario Maker after vacation with a quick little minigame course Throw Down Throwdown VN7 QP6 NTF.

That being said I think its my last easy/normal course for a while. Beginning to realize that, to me, courses are much more interesting when they are allowed to be difficult and having to pump the breaks to appeal to everyone is getting frustrating.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Sky Tram!
8LD-FXX-5PF
By: Straight White Shark

Not bad, but I noticed that starting from the midpoint resulted in the player having only half the territory that they did if they start from the beginning. I kept trying to break out of the tram and find a line to carry me forward ahead of things.

I couldn't really figure out a way to get two sets of platforms synced ahead on the track in a way that wouldn't break if you were speeding ahead, so given a choice between allowing shortcuts or having a double platform at the midpoint I chose shortcuts.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

E: Stage has been reworked.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 22, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Last Visible Dog posted:

Mario Just Wants Some Sleep
D1P-VDV-F3G

I'm always super impressed with levels like this that use space so efficiently the level feels way bigger than it actually is while not being obnoxiously empty and vast. Pro level.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get some feedback on this level before I add it to the Random Acts?

It's all about exploring a creepy cabin Mario and friends found at the top of a mountain. There's some VERY light puzzle solving and a simple chase sequence. I'd say it's pretty average in difficulty but I'm the creator so you know how reliable that kind of judgement is.

You might want to train the player to look for hidden blocks in the boo rings by having one to start with where a coin is in the center so when the player jumps up to get the coin they hit a hidden block. When I got to that room the first thing I thought was that you wanted me to spin jump on that hopping plant which I couldn't pull off. Next I went for a P-Switch jump up to the door which works just fine and it was only at that boo ring on the top where I guessed what you actually wanted me to do.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get some feedback on this level before I add it to the Random Acts?

It's all about exploring a creepy cabin Mario and friends found at the top of a mountain. There's some VERY light puzzle solving and a simple chase sequence. I'd say it's pretty average in difficulty but I'm the creator so you know how reliable that kind of judgement is.

Could use more set dressing so the rooms don't feel as empty, more coins, etc. Coming out of the last pipe to the goal line only to find out that there's a bottomless pit at the end of the slope is kinda cheap/awkward. You can dodge the chasing boo ring right at the beginning of the section, granted that's a relatively minor nitpick as you still need to be able to damage boost to get through it at the end. Dry bones can feel really random with thier bone throwing, maybe consider trimming back a little on them and shifting boos to more aggressive positions and/or giving them wings to keep up the same difficulty feel.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

J-Spot posted:

You might want to train the player to look for hidden blocks in the boo rings by having one to start with where a coin is in the center so when the player jumps up to get the coin they hit a hidden block. When I got to that room the first thing I thought was that you wanted me to spin jump on that hopping plant which I couldn't pull off. Next I went for a P-Switch jump up to the door which works just fine and it was only at that boo ring on the top where I guessed what you actually wanted me to do.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Could use more set dressing so the rooms don't feel as empty, more coins, etc. Coming out of the last pipe to the goal line only to find out that there's a bottomless pit at the end of the slope is kinda cheap/awkward. You can dodge the chasing boo ring right at the beginning of the section, granted that's a relatively minor nitpick as you still need to be able to damage boost to get through it at the end. Dry bones can feel really random with thier bone throwing, maybe consider trimming back a little on them and shifting boos to more aggressive positions and/or giving them wings to keep up the same difficulty feel.

Thanks for this, will leave the level up for the moment but work on revising it and I'll delete it when the new version is ready.

Big problem I was facing with boos was that keeping them aggressive meant they needed to start out really close to where I wanted players to go- and I wanted to give players time to realize where they were going before getting blocked out by them. I think it led to me putting them a little too far out of the way in some cases.

Dry bones are a similar case where I wanted something more dangerous, but maybe the bones are a bit too much. Wondering if I made it a different style like SM1 or SM3 if that would fix that.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

tbh don't overthink it either, its certainly playable as it is and you shouldn't tear out too much of your hair trying to fix something that is just fidgety not completely broken, the only thing i would really fix is the pit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The Grate Escape

Difficulty: Moderate (plenty of power-ups tho)

My gf asked me to build a course around busting some animals out of a zoo, so here you go! This takes some cues from my first course but this time there are checkpoints and better gating. You've got one checkpoint to cash in for the first three exhibits, and I recommend popping in and checking each out before deciding your order of operations. Save the animals! Or kill them, the course carries on either way :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I made a handful of tweaks to enemy placements, added more scenery, coins, and decided on a different style all-together. Here's the new version of The Killer Cabin

I think it plays better now, but any feedback would be nice :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Oh and heres the new level code for this thing

The Mansion of Dr. Bones (rev. B)
GB3-R4Y-9QG

I can't figure out the room with the skull things and all the items in the floor. What does it all mean?!?

:psyduck: