Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sion posted:

Nah that's the quick start rules. Some of the character choices in it are bonkers (the rigger has to spend 40 karma to be able to take as many actions in a round as the mage does for free) and show that this is likely to be a version where magic totally runs away with combat. Also, Armor as a spell is flatly better than any kind of armor in that it provides damage resistance -and- additional dice to a soakpool instead of just additional dice to a soakpool. Also, since Armor is the first card alphabetically, it's the card that was finished first which means that Fireball and Firebolt and a third card I can't remember re-use everything from the armor card except the title of it because copy-and-paste sometimes bites you in the rear end.

The armor thing is even dumber than presented.

All armor in the game, from what has been seen so far, provides only an armor value. The sole use of armor value is to compare with the attack value of an incoming attack, and if either is sufficiently higher that person gets 1-2 Edge points. These are spent for game effects, like rerolling a single failed die. All soak is straight Body dice.

The basic armor spell gives both armor value and additional Body dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PST posted:

Remember Reality Check: The game of privilege, the alt-right pandering punch down game all about how to mock minorities? They absolutely took the time to reconsider their social media messaging and the whole game:

https://twitter.com/gameofprivilege/status/1150898382715662336/photo/1

Wait, no, the other thing as the moment they were criticised, they doubled down on acting like complete shitheads (go through their twitter, there are too many to link to)

No I don't, and I'm glad of that.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

PST posted:

Remember Reality Check: The game of privilege, the alt-right pandering punch down game all about how to mock minorities?
In my head this is getting conflated with Grimachu's Gamergate Netrunner-but-way-shittier game. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to mentally untangle them, or even if there's a meaningful difference.

Did these Reality Check guys figure out the trad games market isn't big enough to keep the lights on by appealing solely to the chuds or what?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheArchimage posted:

Did these Reality Check guys figure out the trad games market isn't big enough to keep the lights on by appealing solely to the chuds or what?

Their Kickstarter hasn't launched yet so no. They seem to be attempting to preemptively roll with the punches with some self-deprecating "I didn't even know you could make money in tabletop games!" which is dumb in a number of different respects for a number of different reasons.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Sion posted:

So it looks like Catalyst might be in pretty serious trouble. [...]

Quick question , can you give the sources for those Infos? I'd like to dig further into it

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
The stuff about the boardgame came from an email that was sent out to backers. It was copied and pasted in full here.

This thread on Reddit is probably the primary point of loud screaming sounds about 6E but, honestly, you could just rumble around in there for a few minutes and find plenty.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Darwinism posted:

brb putting up a $15k KS for my larp group to get filmed, this can only go well

also lol at a cyberpunk thing being set in Chicago with an all-white cast, fuckin punk as hell right there

Obligatory posting of A Night's Work for the uninitiated. Spoiler: It's exactly what you would expect a LARP group being filmed to look like.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 22, 2019

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

TheArchimage posted:

Ice raids as a joke suggest not:

https://twitter.com/JasonTDnDDm/status/1153228990095790080

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

'Wokeness has been commodified' bears all the hallmarks of a fascist argument - it's using the language of the left (e.g., wokeness, commodification) in order to try to convince people that what they're selling isn't an intellectually bankrupt product meant to appeal to fascists/persuade people to their ideology.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That, and an attempt to undermine the position of left-leaning people by depicting their positions as already compromised.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Unfortunately there is always some new depth of assholery to be plumbed in this hobby. Someone got scammed by a group that apparently got them to sign a contract with a buyout provision in order to leave the group. I’m sure you’re shocked to learn said group turned out to be toxic transphobic jerks.

https://twitter.com/rachelvmckinnon/status/1153722961137766400?s=20

The OP of that thread is understandably a bit pissed and equally understandably being short with folks, just as a note if you reply to the thread.

https://twitter.com/ComradeGorbash/status/1153747966324281350

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What the gently caress is that even legal? Like, that seems completely unenforceable and like you should be able to just tell them to gently caress off but I am no legal expert.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Glagha posted:

What the gently caress is that even legal? Like, that seems completely unenforceable and like you should be able to just tell them to gently caress off but I am no legal expert.

Everyone seems to agree on that, but apparently she already paid the fee so it's too late.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
She can dispute the charge on paypal? Paying them was....not very smart.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

She can dispute the charge on paypal? Paying them was....not very smart.

No, but I imagine that the contract thing was very intimidating at the time.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I’m not gonna judge someone who decided to pay in order to get out of what definitely sounds like an unsafe situation. But it’s definitely something to warn people about so they can hopefully not even get to that point.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really want to know how it cost her 150# to tell these guys to gently caress off.

Eveything about this seems shady as gently caress.

"You want to help my friend escape a bad situation? "
:yeah:
"Paypal money here STOP ASKING QUESTIONS TERF"
:confused:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are we talking like, a regular weekly RPG playing group? Not something commercialized? :psyduck:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

moths posted:

I really want to know how it cost her 150# to tell these guys to gently caress off.

Eveything about this seems shady as gently caress.

"You want to help my friend escape a bad situation? "
:yeah:
"Paypal money here STOP ASKING QUESTIONS TERF"
:confused:
Yeah - to me it's bizarre enough that it seems at least as likely that they're running a grift as it is true. There were a lot of options here that weren't "pay them without thought right after folks tweeted at you not to pay them".

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Is there any screenshots of this deleted tweet that laid out the situation? Because yeah, "my friend totally needs help, but her request is totally shut down and she's gone now so send money to this account" seems...really sketchy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
E: no, different person

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 23, 2019

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm not saying it is a scam but it's a scam.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That seems like a scam

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are we talking like, a regular weekly RPG playing group? Not something commercialized? :psyduck:
They state they didn't ask their friend for any details about what happened.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's some comment about them competing in tournaments?

It doesn't sound like a RPG group.

Maybe a Magic tournament team or an e-sports group?

The entire thing sounds sketchy from both ends.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Someone got scammed and it's likely whoever contributed to the paypal.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Angrymog posted:

There's some comment about them competing in tournaments?

It doesn't sound like a RPG group.

Maybe a Magic tournament team or an e-sports group?

The entire thing sounds sketchy from both ends.

Maybe it has something to do with D&DSports? Oh wait, sorry, RPGSports, because WotC told them to knock that poo poo off.
https://rpgsports.tv/

But that whole thread is weird. Any expression of confusion or asking for information gets attacked. There is no mention of which team this was, no proof offered of the contract or damages, no proof that the money we'd donate is going to the victim... If this thing is legit then it's a textbook example of how not to help your own cause. I'm not going to throw money into the internet just because someone yells at me that it's the right thing to do. That's how scams operate.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

So picking it apart it sounds like Jessie (who signed the contract) paid the money before ever seeking help - the help sought was to cover the brand new unexpected $150 hole, not to cover the "buyout fee" itself. Fine, and explains why "Don't loving pay them" wasn't helpful advice.

Still, attacking people for wanting to understand the details of a situation - especially clarification on details which you, yourself, threw out there into the wild to be picked over - is a good way to make it look like a scam even if it was legit. (My gut feeling is that it isn't a scam, McKinnon is just very, very bad at people skills and at applying a little theory of mind to consider how the whole thing looks from an outsider's perspective, but if it proved to be a scam I wouldn't be knocked-on-my-rear end astonished.) Particularly since they might want to understand the situation so that they can more cogently and clearly warn others about the perils of such contracts.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think some videogame streamers do that kind of thing, but that's associated with big money coming in that would be jeopardized by upsetting the roster. But at that level you've got income from sponsors, patreons, and twitch subs - 150# isn't starvation money.

It sounds like she misrepresented / overstated her problem to an aggressively sympathetic friend who reflexively blew it up on Twitter (without scrutiny.)

I'd still like to know wtf happened here, though.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Sage Genesis posted:

I'm not going to throw money into the internet just because someone yells at me that it's the right thing to do.

Counterpoint :

Dr. Rachel McKinnon
@rachelvmckinnon
·
15h
Welp, y'all raised more than enough.

THANK YOU

...apparently my yelling at and scolding people works?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It works for a while, but I know speaking from my personal experience, I have abandoned several internet venues when they segued from "fun art site" into "HEY FUCKER GIVE ME MONEY NOW OR YOU'RE COMPLICIT IN MY SUICIDE."

Like this does not seem to be a sustainable model.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nessus posted:

It works for a while, but I know speaking from my personal experience, I have abandoned several internet venues when they segued from "fun art site" into "HEY FUCKER GIVE ME MONEY NOW OR YOU'RE COMPLICIT IN MY SUICIDE."

Like this does not seem to be a sustainable model.

Using the death of you and/or your loved ones as a threat works briefly but if you keep beating that drum the response quickly becomes "Well hurry up then. We're waiting."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dr McKinnon seems like a lovely person.

Flexing a victory lap that you got what you wanted without needing to be civil seems like a very 2019 response to recieving kindness and generosity.

We'll also never hear about her friend again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's more like the extreme marginal and tenuous status of the victim managed to overcome the dubious circumstances and dogshit behavior of Dr Rachael.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Judging at some of her other tweets, she sees transphobia with the same gusto McCarthy saw Communism.

Do you, a cis person, think you know what transphobia is? Wrong, you do not. Also you are transphobic for thinking you ever could.

This is like an SNL parody of liberals.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a friend in a weird situation that escalated to intensely transphobic after she became involved.

E: ...it's veering off topic, but I really take issue with using words like "problematic" or "transphobic" and then explicitly denying context because look, I already passed all the judgement that needs passing and you probably wouldn't get it right.

Like, "problematic" means anything from ironically wearing a MAGA hat to drugging and raping a teenager in Jack Nicholson's house. gently caress you, tell me what happened and I'll make up my own mind.

moths fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 24, 2019

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
To be fair to Dr MacKinnon she is one of the TERFs main targets. If I'd spent the past five years under escalating attack from that lot I'd probably be quite spiky as well.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

moths posted:

Do you, a cis person, think you know what transphobia is? Wrong, you do not. Also you are transphobic for thinking you ever could.

This is very very often true, though? Like I get cis people explaining why my experiences "weren't transphobia" all the time? And I have explained some situations so many times, in so much detail, repeatedly to the same people just trying to get this loving workplace deadnaming issue sorted out that I have absolutely no patience to explain it again to yet another person who is going to ask "why don't they just" and "have you tried" and basically I think I understand the impulses here even if the results end up looking like / literally being a scam.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

potatocubed posted:

To be fair to Dr MacKinnon she is one of the TERFs main targets. If I'd spent the past five years under escalating attack from that lot I'd probably be quite spiky as well.

I had a post that I guess didn’t go through saying much the same. Trans women on twitter are frequently targeted, and MacKinnon especially. A lot of us are this prickly for good reason.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
What they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also, the TG Industry thread is not for asking whether some Twitter person really sees transphobia. Talk about something else, please.