Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

olives black posted:

Idk about 4ks specifically, but fast-forwarding and rewinding is a real pain in the rear end.

Took me forever to realize this but most TV remotes work with PS4. The Dualshock 4 is an abomination for navigating video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

veni veni veni posted:

Took me forever to realize this but most TV remotes work with PS4. The Dualshock 4 is an abomination for navigating video.

yeah but can I actually scoot around the video that I'm watching as easily as I can with the YouTube app (which has also gone to poo poo on the PS4 in the last week or two)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not sure what you mean.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not sure what you mean.

how is the tv remote actually better than the PS4 controller? IMO the controller isn't the problem

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Taima posted:

bone also doesn't support dolby vision on 4k blu ray which is kind of lame.

Dang. That's kind of a bummer

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There isn't triggers or analog sticks to accidentally hit.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

veni veni veni posted:

There isn't triggers or analog sticks to accidentally hit.

Yeah, that part does suck, but at least fast forwarding and rewinding are easy and intuitive with the triggers in other apps. Every time I try it in the Blu Ray player it's a clusterfuck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah iirc I think it just works like a DVD player with a TV remote. Tbh I still use the dualshock because I'm lazy and it's usually the closest thing to me.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
The interface for the PS4 media play is substantially worse then every streaming app for the PS4 and the PS3's media app, and I have no idea how that's possible.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Patrick Spens posted:

The interface for the PS4 media play is substantially worse then every streaming app for the PS4 and the PS3's media app, and I have no idea how that's possible.

Sony went all out on making the 3 a media hub of sorts. It wasn't so much the case with the 4

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The ds4 is the best pc gamepad

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The first time I played Doom 2004 on my OG XBox, with a 600 Mhz Pentium III and 64 MB of RAM, I thought "what wizardry is this?" The same with Halflife 2.

The amount of technical skill required to get both games running on such a tight system is still impressive to this day.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
One of these days I'd like to build something that's kind of like a Steam Machine. Something with a gamepad friendly launcher menu that I can easily configure to be able to launch stuff that I can get out of the Ubuntu repos. The only games that I really want to play nowadays are older games, but I have to get up from the couch to play them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Patrick Spens posted:

they should just let people install Kodi. No console has yet to be a better media player than a modded original Xbox

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

One of these days I'd like to build something that's kind of like a Steam Machine. Something with a gamepad friendly launcher menu that I can easily configure to be able to launch stuff that I can get out of the Ubuntu repos. The only games that I really want to play nowadays are older games, but I have to get up from the couch to play them.

just buy an Nvidia Shield TV and a bluetooth controller. all those Linux open source games have been ported to android.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

olives black posted:

Steam is available to the public now

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

steam has always been available to the public dummy, you just need fire, water and a vessel suitable for heating liquids

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Meant steam os. My b

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

its ok but try to be more specific next time.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ChazTurbo posted:

I thought the 4 couldn't read 4k blu rays?
It can't and neither can the Pro :( Microsoft made a big deal out of the S being the cheapest 4k bluray player available for a while
weird that the disc app didn't get DV support patched in though, you'd think that to be the first thing that gets updated instead of the Netflix app that's already present in Dolby Vision TVs

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Taima posted:

bone also doesn't support dolby vision on 4k blu ray which is kind of lame.

The one X does, no?

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dire,Dire,Docks is the best piece of video game music ever and its not even really close.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

536 posted:

Dire,Dire,Docks is the best piece of video game music ever and its not even really close.

It's alright, I like how it picks up rhythm towards the end but it's not the best.

Brigador has the best soundtrack ever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

536 posted:

it's good but it doesn't even come close to the legendary theme

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

VG music is often too stringy and synthy for its own good. Either it's this bland pseudoclassical stringy stuff or really low key synthpop. AAA games have the worst music.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Interactivity kinda forces music to be bland, you can either have really responsive tracks with zero harmonic movement (western AAA stuff, starting with Crysis) or interesting themes with obvious crossfades like NieR: Automata or the new Fire Emblems

Insomniac's Spider-Man really surprised me with the swinging around songs actually having recorded parts for changing intensities at different moments. When you have a live orchestra doing poo poo like this gets exponentially expensive, and the results can still wear out players after hours of sandbox play. The single stinger that ends every random fight in AC:Unity is forever burned into my mind.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ruffian Price posted:

Interactivity kinda forces music to be bland, you can either have really responsive tracks with zero harmonic movement (western AAA stuff, starting with Crysis) or interesting themes with obvious crossfades like NieR: Automata or the new Fire Emblems

i don't think this is necessarily true, there are plenty of games with powerful melodies even in the interactive parts. naturally, the scripted parts have much more opportunity for a really moving composition, but these are far and few between and getting scarcer every day.

for some reason the previous generation of composers out of the west never caught on to that and kept trying to do this drab ambient hollywood high fantasy trash. there is a tiny, tiny handful of western composers out of our own generation who are way better about this, but i'm gonna level with you: 90% of our generation's composers today is just more of the same jeremy soule dungeons and dragons highway inn horseshit. 3% are gonna come out of the fire as legends, american nobuo uematsus and kenji itos in their own right.

the leftovers will leave you asking where they get their drugs from because they can't write music for fuckall but it sure as hell sounds like a wild trip.

hand pick or die

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 22, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't like that a ton of japanese games music is just somebody cunting around on the piano like they think they're composing something amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't like that a ton of japanese games music is just somebody cunting around on the piano like they think they're composing something amazing.

this is my new favourite phrase

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NW_6VdL1oc

compared to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W__p0gCBSZI

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They're both bad? I'm sorry but I'm not seeing it

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

It's alright, I like how it picks up rhythm towards the end but it's not the best.

Brigador has the best soundtrack ever.

It doesn't have an end, it loops and adds instruments depending on where you are on the level but no one plays it in game anymore so they wouldn't know! :catbert:

And rules of nature is the best video game song, followed closely by that club song in Perfect Dark Zero.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are a ton of Japanese video game and anime soundtracks just a dude loving around in his basement with his guitar?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are a ton of Japanese video game and anime soundtracks just a dude loving around in his basement with his guitar?

the term is "cunting around on his guitar"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

the term is "cunting around on his guitar"

Good catch.

I feel it worked for FLCL because the whole theme of that anime is basically about being a confused, directionless teenage boy to whom girls are weird wonderful annoying and terrifying.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Doom 2016 has the best video game soundtrack of all time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

La Mulana and Brigador are sort of tied for me. La Mulana's in particular is a bit like what a great SNES game's soundtrack would sound like if you made it in the present day, it's so good and really helps to draw you into the game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

internet celebrity posted:

Doom 2016 has the best video game soundtrack of all time.

its just a bunch of chonky industrial metal

the best video game music is actually the Mario kart 8 soundtrack, nintendos big jazz band is great

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sonic Mania has an outstanding soundtrack, if the old Genesis games were your thing. Half the soundtrack is basically HD remixes of Genesis level tracks:

Original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcRHBgGHtwo
Mania:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVx-2bE_eI

The other half is the new zones and they really capture the feel of the old Sonic music, it's really good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piN1vurg0dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBU-_ZwdWYo

The robot boss music is super loving catchy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c26lAx6X2tk

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Caesar Saladin posted:

its just a bunch of chonky industrial metal

the best video game music is actually the Mario kart 8 soundtrack, nintendos big jazz band is great

gently caress that's a good point actually, Dolphin Shoals is next level poo poo.

Doom is great though because I'm a production nerd and a lot of really neat ideas went into creating the sounds. One of my favorite videos on YouTube is the composer talking about how he made the soundtrack at GDC a few years ago.