Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Excellent info! May try it out and if it can handle my data needs at home go from there. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

Long time lurker looking for a heads-up. Have my daily driver all sorted out, but didn't know what is best to look for in a vehicle for long-hauls. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a vehicle I may be taking on 7 hour drives to get pussy? Could be in all seasons and since I am in Colorado, it could be in any direction/climate. Any help is appreciated, boys!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slam flanders posted:

Long time lurker looking for a heads-up. Have my daily driver all sorted out, but didn't know what is best to look for in a vehicle for long-hauls. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a vehicle I may be taking on 7 hour drives to get pussy? Could be in all seasons and since I am in Colorado, it could be in any direction/climate. Any help is appreciated, boys!

Well a Lexus IS-F will have you shredded in pussy shrapnel so steer clear of those.

I suggest a Land Cruiser. They are The BestTM

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slam flanders posted:

Miata

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

slam flanders posted:

Source your quotes

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Buy an M3

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The C8 vette will satisfy all your pussy getting needs op

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just don't tell her about the Yard o' Buttons

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

Anyone use Google Fi or have good or bad to say about it?

Great if you don't use a ton of data. I heavily abuse T-Mobile's Music Freedom though; I use easily 15+ gigs a month, but only a couple of gigs actually counts since they don't count music streaming from any of the major services. (that should go down considerably now that I have a wifi extender though... couldn't get wifi in the bedroom on my phone)

They're also pretty limited on what phones you can use. oops apparently not anymore

everdave posted:

It’s probably not possible but would google do with the bill cap or an unlimited plan somewhere somehow replace internet at home? All I use is Netflix and similar for the kids and I am setting up a home office again for eBay/car sales etc... that would be ideal I pay $75 a month for just internet through spectrum

No. And Netflix uses a ton of data. See if Spectrum can get you on a cheaper plan maybe? We pay $40 + taxes for just internet (200/10 - their cheapest package here). Unfortunately, threatening to cancel in an attempt to get a better rate with them just results in a "okay, what day would you like to end service?".

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The C8 vette will satisfy all your pussy getting needs op

But that interior makes road head impossible.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah drat, the standard game selection is OK but the UK version gets PAL games which run like 16% slower so it's a lovely experience. The whole front end is fuggo and the games have a weird processing/filter that looks like poo poo. The first thing is solved by running Autobleem which can force 60hz, the latter is solved by not playing PS games on it :v:

The US version got the PAL games too :iiam: - AFAIK, it's the same model world wide. And yeah, the games just look... odd.

And not including a power supply? :mediocre:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 22, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Doublepost, but I've been house/cat sitting.

Meet Raven, my friend's old man kitty. Yes, he's cross eyed. Yes, his head is permanently tilted to one side ever since he had his first seizure. He's pushing 20, seems really happy, and his bloodwork came back pretty drat good for an old man at his last vet visit. He started having seizures a few years ago, but they're not frequent (a few times a year).

"Did I say you could stop petting me? No human, I didn't. NOW GET THAT HAND BACK ON TOP OF MY HEAD!!1! AND PUT THAT drat PHONE DOWN, GET ME ANOTHER CAN OF FOOD! TELL THAT NEIGHBOR'S DOG TO GET OFF MY LAWN WHILE YOU'RE AT IT! :corsair:"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

STR posted:

They're also pretty limited on what phones you can use.

They switched over to officially supporting BYOD this past spring - pretty much anything that works on T-Mobile works on Fi. Previously you could use most phones providing you had access to a Fi phone to activate your SIM.

With BYOD you do lose the ability to jump between carriers though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Edited, thanks. I wasn't aware of that yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slam flanders posted:

Chevvy S10 Pussy Wagon

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Chevvy S10 Pussy Wagon

Why not a Chevy Silverado Pussy Wagon?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slam flanders posted:

You can get a low mile Viper for 25 these days, but if it’s like most girls I know they’d be more impressed with a SUV. But I’d totally go to Applebee’s all day long with you if you get a viper.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Preoptopus posted:

As in moving a house or moving back home with the rents? Either way sounds stressful

Moving to a bigger place, actually a friend's house that they don't want to sell at the moment

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

STR posted:

Why not a Chevy Silverado Pussy Wagon?

Some sort of yellow truck made in the USA that is otherwise utterly terrible in every way is fine.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Some sort of yellow truck made in the USA that is otherwise utterly terrible in every way is fine.

I saw "yellow" and immediately thought Tonka but they're awesome :haw:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 23, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

slam flanders posted:

A Volvo S60R with a 6MT.

The most comfortable thing and you will arrive ready to gently caress.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So this: https://jalopnik.com/at-2-900-is-this-2004-land-rover-discovery-an-amazing-1836578260

Has got me thinking. Are these really that bad? Should I just get a Land Cruiser/GX/LX if I want a mid 2000s SUV that says notspeed and class?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Beach Bum posted:

I saw "yellow" and immediately thought Tonka they're awesome :haw:

Like that?

Residency Evil posted:

So this: https://jalopnik.com/at-2-900-is-this-2004-land-rover-discovery-an-amazing-1836578260

Has got me thinking. Are these really that bad? Should I just get a Land Cruiser/GX/LX if I want a mid 2000s SUV that says notspeed and class?

Yes. Yes they are. That a vehicle with designers that instead of retooling the engine to metric, created loving bolts that are METRIC on the heads, and IMPERIAL on the threads.

Just buy the toyota and run it into the ground. There are guys over here in Aus (Where poo poo doesnt rust) with 6-700k km old (375K-430K mi) old 100 series that are still going strong. There was a guy not long ago with a 4.7L tundra who put a million miles on the engine and it was better than the ones that left the factory!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

It doesn’t help that the Disco engines were still being built off of tooling hearkening back to the 1960s Buick V8 it was based off of - and by the early ‘00s it was all worn out, so you ended up with extremely sloppy tolerances and engines that liked to drop cylinder liners at 30k miles.

A buddy of mine had an extremely expensive rebuild done on his Disco - like more than $10k expensive - and it lunched itself again after 10k. Don’t be dumb, there are many reasons they’re dirt cheap, and for that matter GX470s aren’t that expensive anymore either. I see high mileage ones going by in the 5-9k range now. PS, the GX will be way faster than a Disco.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Ubiquitous LS swap it response goes here.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Residency Evil posted:

Like an oatmeal raisin cookie it looks nice and invites you in but it is filled with lies and disappointment. Buy the Land Cruiser.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Oatmeal raisin cookies are delicious.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Which Pajero model are you? I'm Long ZR Basic Package.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

toplitzin posted:

A Volvo V70R with a 6MT.

The most comfortable thing and you will arrive ready to gently caress with a mattress in the back.

Again, fixed for me. Also I'm local, buy here pay here.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Which Pajero model are you? I'm Long ZR Basic Package.

Wide Exceed-II

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You Am I posted:

Fourth day of moving home

I am a broken broken man

I fear moving like other people fear death.
Or welcome it, the same way.

Tremek posted:

It doesn’t help that the Disco engines were still being built off of tooling hearkening back to the 1960s Buick V8 it was based off of - and by the early ‘00s it was all worn out, so you ended up with extremely sloppy tolerances and engines that liked to drop cylinder liners at 30k miles.

A buddy of mine had an extremely expensive rebuild done on his Disco - like more than $10k expensive - and it lunched itself again after 10k. Don’t be dumb, there are many reasons they’re dirt cheap, and for that matter GX470s aren’t that expensive anymore either. I see high mileage ones going by in the 5-9k range now. PS, the GX will be way faster than a Disco.

Also, 11 MPG for the Disco? Holy gently caress that's terrible for that little V8, though the Lexus 4.7 isn't a whole lot better. Bigger truck, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This dry well project is getting out of control.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm going to start throwing parts at the Panda to get this squeal to stop. The garage can't find anything, there's nothing obvious, I'm thinking pads, caliper if that doesn't stop it. Currently sitting in a layby waiting for them to cool a little so I can drive home without sounding like it's powered by banshee angst.

E: discs as well, they're cheap

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 22, 2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Impala feels like the brake rotors are slightly warped. All of my braking power is still there, it just feels like it's pulsing for a few milliseconds sometimes.

And here I was hoping my "buy an FR-S again, this time in cash" fund wasn't going to need to be dipped into...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Kazinsal posted:

Impala feels like the brake rotors are slightly warped. All of my braking power is still there, it just feels like it's pulsing for a few milliseconds sometimes.

And here I was hoping my "buy an FR-S again, this time in cash" fund wasn't going to need to be dipped into...

Warped rotors are a lot more rare than people think, you likely have pad deposits. Do a few hard fast stops and see if anything changes. I'm talking 60+ down to 5 then right back to speed to brake hard again. Few of those back to back will clean your rotors off nicely. 2-3 is good though, street pads don't like this sort of stuff.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Like an oatmeal raisin cookie it looks nice and invites you in but it is filled with lies and disappointment. Buy the Land Cruiser.

What the gently caress

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

See I love oatmeal raisin so I'm not sure what to think of every other opinion you have.

You know, whenever I see a discovery three thoughts pop in to my head:
1. That looks loving awesome
2. I wonder how bad they really are/how much they break
3. I really want one

And I only live a block and a half away from a dealer! I could walk there! :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Residency Evil posted:

Yes they are that bad and no, you can't go wrong with a Land Cruiser/GX/LX.

Ferremit posted:

Like that?

Yes. Yes they are. That a vehicle with designers that instead of retooling the engine to metric, created loving bolts that are METRIC on the heads, and IMPERIAL on the threads.

Just buy the toyota and run it into the ground. There are guys over here in Aus (Where poo poo doesnt rust) with 6-700k km old (375K-430K mi) old 100 series that are still going strong. There was a guy not long ago with a 4.7L tundra who put a million miles on the engine and it was better than the ones that left the factory!

I'll see them at auction in Japan with 400-500k km on them all day long. 60s/70s/80s mostly what with what I am looking for, but still. And Hiluxes, goddamn do they just run forever.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This man speaks a truth that I hold dear. gently caress oatmeal, gimme delicious chocolate chip bikkies anyday

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

See I love oatmeal raisin so I'm not sure what to think of every other opinion you have.

Oatmeal raisin cookies aren't terrible, but they are still filthy liars, imitating chocolate-chip cookies like that.

quote:

You know, whenever I see a discovery three thoughts pop in to my head:
1. That looks loving awesome
2. I wonder how bad they really are/how much they break
3. I really want one

And I only live a block and a half away from a dealer! I could walk there! :v:

And you will!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I like all cookies even oatmeal raisin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I like all cookies even oatmeal raisin

Like I said, oatmeal raisin is fine. It's more the disappointment that they're *not* chocolate chip, if that was what you were expecting, you know?

Unrelated, I just learned that Outback VDCs like mine came with a cabin air filter. I just watched a video on changing it, and holy poo poo it's obvious that they didn't really design the car to have it initially. I've never seen a cabin air filter where you have to unscrew so much stuff to get to it. 8 screws, two bolt, one wiring connector, and 4 spring clips. The one in our Kia, the most annoying part is dumping out the contents of the glove box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdlIuSRU0X4