Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

what could someone soon to be in college possibly have in common with someone who hasn't even entered high school yet? why would anyone want to do that if they weren't hosed in the head?

hawowanlawow posted:

I agree, ban anime club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
14 can be a freshman.

seniors will turn 18 during their senior year. juniors will turn 17, sophs will turn 16, freshmen will turn 15 which means they will be 14 at the start of the school year.

e: seniors still shouldn't be dating freshmen i am solely correcting a factual statement that 14 year olds would in fact be high schoolers and not automatically Elementary schoolers

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I started freshman year at 13, pay more attention to the age than the grade when you’re deciding which relationships are squicky

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

pretty sure 14 is still junior high, even. what could someone soon to be in college possibly have in common with someone who hasn't even entered high school yet? why would anyone want to do that if they weren't hosed in the head?

i forgot to quote this post. i hope "pay more attention to age than grade" wasn't directed at me

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I started freshman year at 13, pay more attention to the age than the grade when you’re deciding which relationships are squicky

I feel like we should all just play it safe and not date anyone that is still in high school.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
People are gross and all relationships are gross. Seriously people, stop loving.

Stop it.

STOP IT.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

we are

edit: though i see what you mean. it's just a shorthand, i guess.

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Jul 21, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People are gross and all relationships are gross. Seriously people, stop loving.

Stop it.

STOP IT.

:hmmyes:

I only need my hand on my dick and my bad dragon down my throat

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Busket Posket posted:

It’s from a century ago (May 2019), but UK’s Channel 5 had a great time normalizing grooming and pedophilia, with charming scenes of camping with cheery voiceover and Great British Bake-Off music:

https://twitter.com/channel5_tv/status/1132618639352377344?s=21

(The 44-year-old friend of a girl’s mom married her at 16, after “flirting” since she was 14, insisting it was all the girl’s idea. It’s presented as quirky ~Age Gap Love~ rather than ~where is the UK version of Chris Hansen~)

there was a weird thing like this in that prestige British murder show Broadchurch (a small boy is murdered in the show). there was a weird old man who runs the youth boys boat club or something and everyone suspects him and he’s acting really suspicious and touchy-feely with the kids and many people in the town accuse him. Then it comes out that the reason that he is so invested in the boys club is that he misses his own son. no one in town knows about this son because he moved to the town to escape the persecution stemming from the fact that he had his kid with a 15 year old when he was her 40 year old music teacher, and so he hasn’t seen her or his son since. “If she’d been one year older, it would have been fine,” he says. Then he kills himself because the town thinks he’s a pedophile. The show seems to treat this as sad, in the sense that he wasn’t what the town thought, but uh, he was?.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are layers to that pedophilia apologia there. Like it's saying to not suspect men who are obviously throwing up warning signs around kids, and then having it turn out he is a pedo but you're supposed to think that's okay.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Brit TV is full of pedos

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Britain: Why the hell do we have so many paedophiles???

Also Britain:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Why can we no longer think of the British Isles without the word 'Paedoph' in front of them?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Wasabi the J posted:

I've only seen a bit of buzz, but it seems she only recently met him, and wasn't even involved with him. She was just muredered by another stranger. Jesus.

Don't trust people. We're just demons made flesh apparently.

Pages late, but this is a destructive way of thinking too. I know way too may people approaching 30 years old that are scared to walk down the sidewalk or leave their small town (because for some reason their town is safe-ish and others aren’t)

Common sense and situational awareness are invaluable, keep them in mind and your chances of being attacked by a random person for no reason seem to be relatively insignificant.

Dr.Caligari has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Jul 21, 2019

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Dr.Caligari posted:

Pages late, but this is a destructive way of thinking too. I know way too may people approaching 30 years old that are scared to walk down the sidewalk or leave their small town (because for some reason their town is safe-ish and others aren’t)

Common sense and situational awareness are invaluable, keep them in mind and your chances of being attacked by a random person for no reason seem to be relatively insignificant.

also, be male

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

Existing as a woman means there is always a motive for someone to harass you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

Brit TV is full of pedos

This is what they get for not following through on Yewtree. Not sending most of the BBC and the British government to the gallows was moral cowardice, plain and simple.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
one of their most beloved television shows centers on a near-immortal being, usually portrayed as male, who is super lonely so he picks up young women in his time ship and wows them with cool trips to exotic locales and they end up falling in love with him almost always. really it’s just that movie “an education” with wacky sci-fi plots

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, random violence is never inflicted on men, those belligerent drunks in the alley at 3 AM hail me as a brother when I approach and they see I'm male

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, random violence is never inflicted on men, that group of belligerent drunks in the alley at 3 AM hail me as a brother when I approach and they see I'm male

you’re either a troll or so dim as to require state mandated care hth

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, random violence is never inflicted on men, those belligerent drunks in the alley at 3 AM hail me as a brother when I approach and they see I'm male

Unnervingly ignorant, especially for this thread of all places

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What? Why? What they said in response to the quoted post was factually wrong.

It's a different kind of harassment and the perpetrators are almost always male in either case, that much is still true.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A couple months ago some poor son of a bitch tried to mug me when I was drunkenly walking through the alley by my apartment after midnight. This was the first time in almost 20 years of living in Chicago that someone tried to mug me.

A couple of my girl friends have been mugged multiple times and nearly all of my girl friends have stories about being creeped on/followed when they were walking home at night.

Sure it happens to guys, but women have it way harder and simple advice that usually works for guys like "keep your eyes up, make eye contact with everyone, and stand closer to the street than the buildings on the sidewalk" don't really translate to women.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess that's true enough. I was reacting against the idea that men can do anything with complete impunity, at any time, at any place, but I get that that's not particularly relevant as a comment. There's still a lot of poo poo women have to deal with that I don't, and that I don't even fully understand since I haven't had that experience.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
When the argument is that being/presenting male reduces your odds of attacks of opportunity, and your counter is “OH SO MEN NEVER GET ATTACKED?!?”, you’re Dude #3,556,718,100,003 to build and crucify that particular strawman for no reason but to talk. Next time, maybe just take a deep breath, or go watch Netflix, or just imagine the deafening grinding sound of all the eyes that had to roll away after reading your words.

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no
But aren't men massively more likely to be murdered or assaulted than women or am i missing something?

Dont have a dog in the fight I just thought that's what the numbers said

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Strangers are more likely to murder men, and usually the murderer is a man, but women are killed way more often by people they know. So like while a man is a bit less likely to die outside of his home than a woman is, he's way more likely to be safe inside his home and not get killed there. Women are still more likely to be victims of assault/rape inside and outside the home.

E: Maaan those statistics are lovely and depressing to read.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kween posted:

But aren't men massively more likely to be murdered or assaulted than women or am i missing something?

men are more likely to engage in risky behavior like picking fights with strangers or street-level property/drug crime where you may be killed by another participant. so men are more likely to get assaulted and murdered because men tend to do behavior that gets them in a spot where they get hurt

of women who get murdered, around half of them are murdered by a current or former romantic partner. so for most women, statistically the most dangerous person they know is their husband or boyfriend

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are layers to that pedophilia apologia there. Like it's saying to not suspect men who are obviously throwing up warning signs around kids, and then having it turn out he is a pedo but you're supposed to think that's okay.

see, it's okay because he's a heterosexual pedophile

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Antivehicular posted:

see, it's okay because he's a heterosexual pedophile

Straight pedos always get a bunch of "it's technically hebe/ephebophilia!! This is important for some reason!!" bullshit

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Kween posted:

in 2012 men were victims of violent crime in the usa at a rate of 29.1 per 1000, while women were victims at a rate of 23.3 per 1000 (violent crime defined as "rape or sexual assault, robbery, aggravated assault, or simple assault"). For "serious violent crime" ("rape or sexual assault, robbery and aggravated assault") it's 9.4 and 6.6 respectively. Source: https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=4781

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should push for equal representation in violent crime.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

It's also worth pointing out that men are overwhelmingly murdered by other men and women are overwhelmingly murdered by....men. So you're looking at two very different kinds of violence and perpetrators, and overall homicide statistics include deaths from all kinds of violence (i.e. crime, gang involvement etc.) Men don't tend to get murdered purely for being men anywhere near as often as women get murdered for being women, and men don't get killed by their family or intimate partner anywhere near as often.

Read the statistics, then cry for the senselessness of it all.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I’m going to take the controversial stance that murder is bad.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

AlbieQuirky posted:

Come back from that edge, goon; you might fall!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

Wow, dial that back a bit we don't want to make anybody angry.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

Mods?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

purple death ray posted:

Straight pedos always get a bunch of "it's technically hebe/ephebophilia!! This is important for some reason!!" bullshit

And what really bakes my noodle is that if you are wanting to be even more accurate, they should be referred to as pederasts, but because of these fucko apologists, you can't really make that argument without sounding like you are supporting their position somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pull up, thread, pull up!

The Village Where Every Cop Has Been Convicted of Domestic Violence

quote:

In Stebbins alone, all seven of the police officers working as of July 1 have pleaded guilty to domestic violence charges within the past decade. Only one has received formal law enforcement training of any kind.

The current police chief pleaded guilty to throwing a teenage relative to the ground and threatening to kill her after drinking homebrew liquor in 2017. (Alcohol is illegal in the village.) He was hired a year later. He declined to answer questions in person and blocked a reporter on Facebook.