Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Which Banshee version is the super punchmans one?

I've got an opportunity to pick up a 3M for ~1.2m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I thought mw3s graphics were better. Mw4 didnt do detail nearly as well. Maybe that was the graphics settings i was on tho?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I was pretty young when they came out (a little too young to have really gotten into MW2 like everyone else, in fact), but I remember thinking the gameplay was way better in MW3 than 4. I seem to remember the mechs in 4 soaking up way more damage, which to me at the time felt dumbed down compared to the relative glass cannons of 3.

Thanks for sharing the Reddit thread about getting it working on modern OSes. I've been wanting to revisit these for a couple years now. If someone could just get it working with modern joysticks.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Which one was it where the mechs blew up big when they died? I want to say 3

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

4. In 3 they would only explode if you overheated to the point of explosion. Usually there was a visual effect of a blast then they fell to the ground and started burning. In 4 every time you killed a mech if fell down then exploded. It even had a setting to turn off the mech death explosions

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I think mechwarrior 3 is the first game I can remember that made me go "wow, this is it. Graphics will never get better than this"

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

LeSquide posted:

:thunk:

So I love this idea, but I think it might run into the abstraction problem; would people be OK with mechs on the battlefield just disappearing and new ones hotdropping in? While the latter is just Wicked Rad, the former is going to be kinda jarring, but if it involves running the mech out of combat/to the edge of the map it'd be such a pain in the rear end it'd rarely get used.

Usually the map edges are pretty close and also making you run a certain distance to get out would create another reason to take more fast, light mechs since their speed would make them easier to get in/out of reserves

JK Fresco fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 20, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vasudus posted:

3M is Punchbot, I'm pretty sure. It should tell you what weapon mounts it has available in the description though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jedit posted:

3M is Punchbot, I'm pretty sure. It should tell you what weapon mounts it has available in the description though.

It is indeed. I bought it, equipped it with a ++ arm mod and maximum small lasers. On the first mission it got 6/8 kills.

So now I'm running a Banshee/3M punchbot, a Wolverine/6R w/ ++/+++ weapons, a Raven w/ ++MLs and SRM6, and a Hunchback/4P. I sit in my bubble pelting things until someone dares to venture too close to the bubble and gets their face punched off.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Alchenar posted:

The weirdest thing was seeing MW3 and 4 come out within months of each other having been in parallel development and seeing the differences. MW4 has better graphics and gameplay, but has a cockpit UI that looks like someone drew it with crayon about 5 minutes before they had to ship. MW3's story sits with Freespace and Freespace 2 in managing to deliver an outlandish sci-fi war experience that somehow feels grounded and real, and the UI and 'yeah we can salvage but only what we can fit on the MFB' elements were great. Also elementals, fighting around a crashed dropship and inside underground volcano bases.

There's so much temptation to make these games about how many planets you can go to, or how much mechlab freedom you have, when MW3 and Mechcommander are both proof that you can get all you need with a single tight narrative taking you from A to B.

First of all, MW3 was released about a year before MW4 (May 99 vs Nov 00).

I kind of feel like MW4 was a direct response to complaints about MW3's multiplayer, while ignoring what MW3 did right in single player. You probably already know all of this, but I'm going to ramble a bit for those who are new to the series.

MW3 is obviously superior as a single player experience for reasons already mentioned (the story, the setpieces, the voice acting, etc.). However, MW3's multiplayer experience was abysmal. For those who don't know, the lag was incredible, requiring you to aim like 5 mech lengths in front of a mech just to hit it. Additionally there were zero restrictions on customization. Have 20 tons free? You can mount 20 MLs. Also, you had perfect weapon convergence and no burn time on lasers. The end result is you could create a mech that had enough SLs or MLs to insta kill a mech. The lasers were hitscan and did full damage instantly. The end result was a ridiculous display: shadowcats running in circles, shooting in the air, trying to find that magic spot where their death ray would instantly kill their opponent. Netcode was getting to the point that this sort of gameplay was completely unacceptable.

MW4, from the beginning was designed as a game to be played online. Before the game was released, there was a multiplayer stress test: essentially an open beta specifically for determining whether or not the netcode was working. I was playing MW4 online from the very start of the stress test, and it was like night and day. You fire at a section, you see your shots hit, you do damage. Additionally, the developers tweaked mech construction and weapon balance to prevent or at least mitigate the laser-knife issue. First of all MW4 introduced hardpoints (there were no such things as hardpoints in any previous MW game or in Battletech/Mechwarrior PnP before this). This allowed them to constrain the number and type of weapons that a mech could carry. For those of you that never played, hardpoints had a size. This meant that only certain mechs could carry the biggest weapons. Second, the devs changed the way weapons worked. In MW3 (and previous MW games) weapon damage and heat values matched Battletech tabletop. In MW4, the small laser weapons did less damage, but had a higher recycle. The large laser weapons also had their damage reduced, but less so, and had a longer recycle.

The most important point here is that the MW4 devs were willing to break with Battletech numbers, while keeping the "feel" of the weapons, to make a well balanced multiplayer game. In the end, IMO, they succeeded. ERLLs were too strong at first, but they were nerfed and other weapons were buffed/introduced to compete. The other important point is that MW4 was, at its core, a reaction to MW3's poor multiplayer.

The complaints about MW4s single player were heard and the devs tried to make better single player campaigns in the form of the Black Knight and Mercenaries expansions. I don't remember these well, but my impression is that while they were better than the base campaign, they still weren't as good as MW3's. I'm going to bet that this is because MW3 was built from the ground up as a single player game with multiplayer tacked on, while MW4 started as a multiplayer game. This makes entire sense as MW3 was developed at the time when multiplayer games that could be played well over the internet were in their infancy. This was also back when most people were still on 56k modems, so online multiplayer was really a secondary concern.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Vasudus posted:

Do it, go for near max armor, and as many Mguns and MLs you can fit on it. You basically have a massively uparmored HBK-P with more support weapons that can punch really really hard.

Put MT pilots in it at first, but once you get a CP-10-Z, you can put Coolant flush/sure footing pilots in it and get another alpha or two out of the lasers. Keep an eye out for +40/+60 melee damage mods.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm guessing the answer is no, but can I pull off the ECM gear on the Raven and put it in something else?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Vasudus posted:

I'm guessing the answer is no, but can I pull off the ECM gear on the Raven and put it in something else?

You can't, but I've heard (haven't seen) that you can buy ECM equipment from Liao, Davion and Kurita (?) faction stores after allying.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ah piss. Oh well, guess I'll keep upgrading the weaponry on my Raven to continue to make it a short range sniper.

I want a Catapult so bad. I could never get one in the campaign at launch, though I did get 2/3 of the one with double PPCs.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Vasudus posted:

Ah piss. Oh well, guess I'll keep upgrading the weaponry on my Raven to continue to make it a short range sniper.

I want a Catapult so bad. I could never get one in the campaign at launch, though I did get 2/3 of the one with double PPCs.

If you have UW, there is a guaranteed way to get a CPLT-C4 (the new version they added in UW) via the Yang Virtanen's Big Score flashpoint. It spawns in the upper right corner of the map. When given the option of stealing the heavy lance or the light lance, pick the heavy lance, and you'll have the option of keeping the C4.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Im playing on a 3025 extended mod? i think thats the name. I never realized how fragile something with a XL engine was. To see something killed cause one side got taken out.

MW3 is the reason I unreasonably love the Bushwacker over must any other Mech. The Raven is a close second.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, I can't see any way to make XLs good and function like they do in TT in the context of this game. It would require, at minimum, a rework of Evasion.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Stravag posted:

I thought mw3s graphics were better. Mw4 didnt do detail nearly as well. Maybe that was the graphics settings i was on tho?

Agreed. Mw4 had higher resolution, but landscapes that looked hastily spraypainted and crappier or more repetitive feeling props. It felt floatier overall and more sterile, with a worse ui. I think I read it was designed to share assets or engine with arcade versions or something? MW3 felt crunchy and like you could reach out and touch stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

Im playing on a 3025 extended mod? i think thats the name. I never realized how fragile something with a XL engine was. To see something killed cause one side got taken out.

MW3 is the reason I unreasonably love the Bushwacker over must any other Mech. The Raven is a close second.

3025 adds XL engines? Neat. I always considered their use suicidal in MWO because the extra available tonnage isn't worth dying after losing a side torso. Naturally the vastly superior clanmechs can keep on trucking until the other torso pops.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Agreed. Mw4 had higher resolution, but landscapes that looked hastily spraypainted and crappier or more repetitive feeling props. It felt floatier overall and more sterile, with a worse ui. I think I read it was designed to share assets or engine with arcade versions or something? MW3 felt crunchy and like you could reach out and touch stuff.

Blow off an arm and there was jagged armor edges and wires sticking out. In 4 is just became a black melted lump or disappeared. Also i liked how blown off arms and legs became objects that littered a battlefield instead of just going away

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Q_res posted:

Yeah, I can't see any way to make XLs good and function like they do in TT in the context of this game. It would require, at minimum, a rework of Evasion.

I mean, they're a liability in TT too. You don't put an XL Engine on a mech designed to wade in and brawl it out.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Voyager I posted:

I mean, they're a liability in TT too. You don't put an XL Engine on a mech designed to wade in and brawl it out.

It really depend on the 'Mech, but in general you're right.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
gently caress, I didn’t realize that restarting a mission re-randomized it. I made a dumb misclick early on and thought eh, whatever, redo. Now my fun brawl against an Atlas, a Highlander, and two lances of mediums keeps coming up as two lower tonnage assaults + two lances of Locusts.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Yes, but they're even worse here. Between Evasive being so weak and Precision Shot being a thing they'd go from a liability to the equivalent of an explosive suicide vest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just found the most bullshit mission in history. Battle, 1.5 skulls. I drop to find that the single lance I was facing had eight mechs in it, and it was then joined by an allied lance from another faction.

I am currently debating whether or not to just uninstall the game. It's fast becoming impossible to play.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

gently caress, I didn’t realize that restarting a mission re-randomized it. I made a dumb misclick early on and thought eh, whatever, redo. Now my fun brawl against an Atlas, a Highlander, and two lances of mediums keeps coming up as two lower tonnage assaults + two lances of Locusts.

Manually save the game at the start of each level. Then just load that save to restart.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jedit posted:

Just found the most bullshit mission in history. Battle, 1.5 skulls. I drop to find that the single lance I was facing had eight mechs in it, and it was then joined by an allied lance from another faction.

I am currently debating whether or not to just uninstall the game. It's fast becoming impossible to play.

You can withdraw from contracts.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

sean10mm posted:

You can withdraw from contracts.

Also the salvage slider is a good indicator of what kind of enemy numbers you'll be facing hth.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm finally at the level where I'm making very obvious cash by selling mechs going full salvage. I mean yes, full salvage is always the correct option and I've done it for like 85% of my missions (except at the beginning when I needed cold hard cash to eat, shoot, and fly) but now my collection of random mechs and my faction rep has gotten high enough that I walk away with 1-3 complete mechs and a decent amount of flat cash even at minimum dollars. And my Argo is nearly fully kitted out (just got the low-gravity pool, woooo) so there's my major cash expenditure mostly handled.

The big score flashpoint came back (I was too weak to do it the first time at the start) except I'm all the way in Canopus space and it's literally 60 days to get there. I've got 650 days left before my score is evaluated. Think I'm going to run a whole bunch of min cash/min salvage 2-star missions for maximum rep, max out Canopus to ally with them (need maybe 3-4 missions) and head over. I want my goddamn Catapult.

Also I have my Banshee-3M kitted out with a shitload of arm mods. I do 320 damage a punch, and I have maximum small lasers in the rest of the slots along with jump jets. My strategy has been to have it hang at the edge of the ECM bubble, wait until something dares to venture nearby, and come out of there like the goddamn smoke monster. If that Banshee hits, someone is losing at least one limb if it's a heavy/assault or they're straight up turbofucked if they're a medium or light.

The Raven when equipped with a Sensor Lock, Master Tactician, Bulwark pilot has been amazing. My morale is so high that I can precision shot basically every round so it's often my executioner, firing two ML+++ and a SRM6+++ with 97% accuracy / 91% accuracy on called shots. I've been able to handle insanely stacked fights without a scratch thanks to ECM. It's worth the price of the expansion alone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any special techniques or tricks for the urban environments? The lack of cover is really hurting.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any special techniques or tricks for the urban environments? The lack of cover is really hurting.

Blow up buildings and sit on them for cover.

If you don't mind taking a little leg damage you can also jump on the buildings before blowing them up.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jedit posted:

I ran into a mission like this when I started my current campaign. It was like 2 skulls, but ended up being two full lances of mixed mediums and lights, all spawned on top of each other. Also, the second lance was from a different faction, and there was some dialog about "uhh where did this other lance come from?"

I think they added missions where you kind of intended to withdraw. Kind of a "your intelligence was bad" scenario. I killed a few mechs, withdrew, got a good faith withdrawl, and didn't really take a reputation hit.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, blowing up buildings for cover works great. Or sprint to a park with trees in it and camp there.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Vasudus posted:

I'm finally at the level where I'm making very obvious cash by selling mechs going full salvage. I mean yes, full salvage is always the correct option and I've done it for like 85% of my missions (except at the beginning when I needed cold hard cash to eat, shoot, and fly) but now my collection of random mechs and my faction rep has gotten high enough that I walk away with 1-3 complete mechs and a decent amount of flat cash even at minimum dollars. And my Argo is nearly fully kitted out (just got the low-gravity pool, woooo) so there's my major cash expenditure mostly handled.

The big score flashpoint came back (I was too weak to do it the first time at the start) except I'm all the way in Canopus space and it's literally 60 days to get there. I've got 650 days left before my score is evaluated. Think I'm going to run a whole bunch of min cash/min salvage 2-star missions for maximum rep, max out Canopus to ally with them (need maybe 3-4 missions) and head over. I want my goddamn Catapult.

Also I have my Banshee-3M kitted out with a shitload of arm mods. I do 320 damage a punch, and I have maximum small lasers in the rest of the slots along with jump jets. My strategy has been to have it hang at the edge of the ECM bubble, wait until something dares to venture nearby, and come out of there like the goddamn smoke monster. If that Banshee hits, someone is losing at least one limb if it's a heavy/assault or they're straight up turbofucked if they're a medium or light.

The Raven when equipped with a Sensor Lock, Master Tactician, Bulwark pilot has been amazing. My morale is so high that I can precision shot basically every round so it's often my executioner, firing two ML+++ and a SRM6+++ with 97% accuracy / 91% accuracy on called shots. I've been able to handle insanely stacked fights without a scratch thanks to ECM. It's worth the price of the expansion alone.

You have reached the endgame phase of career mode, and with plenty of time to spare. Congrats! All thats left now is to hit all of the remaining 3.5+ skull planets and flashpoints and run up your score.

RE MoC/big score: Don't ally with MoC until the end. You'll lock yourself out of any big Cappellan contracts on the way back to Davion space. There's no real advantage to allying early, especially with the MoC or TC. Once a flashpoint spawns, it will keep respawning a few days/weeks after despawning due to time running out, so no rush. On the way back, make sure you pass through as many unvisited systems (visited systems are now all marked with a little ring around them now) that are 3 skulls or less. Its not worth spending the time to land on them, but just passing through gets you 500 points (about what you get in contracts/exp/cbills for a 5 skull mission) and puts you one planet closer to map completion.

RE the 3M: If its running too hot, try replacing the SLs with MGs. This way, you do nothing but drain heat when you punch. Also, the MGs, in concert with the MLs, are really good at scoring kills against all of the mechs stupidly carrying ammo in the CT (JM6-S, any TDR, AWS-T, any CP-10). Just put the ammo in one of the legs so you don't loose your arm mods.

RE the raven: I'd suggest going with 2x ++MLs with +10 damage. The +10 damage ML is superior to the +++ML, and is a contender, along with the +++SRM, for best weapon in the game. The extra damage is probably more important when you have so few weapons anyway.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I’ve been catching up with this thread for a couple of days as I’m reinstalling and needed good mods (thanks Gwaihir, you’re the handsomest), but I just saw a 40-ish dude with a full Ghost Bear crest tat covering the back of his right calf and thought of you all.

:kisses:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Q_res posted:

Yes, but they're even worse here. Between Evasive being so weak and Precision Shot being a thing they'd go from a liability to the equivalent of an explosive suicide vest.

Ammo explosions do that too in the TT but are different here. Changing how they work in the interest of balance isn't taboo.

Off the top off my head: lose a side torso with an XL, gain a quarter of the heat gauge. If that makes you shut down, sucks to suck.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, yes, that would be why I qualified my statement with "function like they do in TT". I was quite literally saying, they would need to change how they function in terms of losing a side torso.

A speed and heat penalty would probably be perfect. Then Clan XLs could be less OP vs IS versions by only getting a lesser penalty.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

armchairyoda posted:

I’ve been catching up with this thread for a couple of days as I’m reinstalling and needed good mods (thanks Gwaihir, you’re the handsomest), but I just saw a 40-ish dude with a full Ghost Bear crest tat covering the back of his right calf and thought of you all.

:kisses:

Should have complimented his really cool Smoke Jaguar tattoo.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kind of amazing how the clans with the coolest logos were the ones that ended up on the front line. :canada: Clan Burrock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I went back to playing XCOM 2 WOTC to take a break from this, and the contrast is interesting.

1) WOTC is constantly applying pressure to the player on the strategic layer, whereas in Battletech you basically just take missions at your own pace. WOTC almost never lets you take a straight line to anything, because there's always some guerilla op or retaliation mission or council mission or whatever that pops up a day before you have your A team recovered from their last big mission, while in Battletech you can almost always go to whatever system you want and take whatever job you want outside consecutive mission flashpoints. The only "big picture" pressure in Battletech is in the very early game where you need to make money from low-paying missions, and injuries and repairs can cause ridiculously long downtimes..

WOTC just has much more of a strategy layer that gives you more to do and forces you to juggle multiple limited resources. But it can also just be frustrating to juggle all this poo poo when you just want to send your A team out to gently caress up a Chosen base or move the story along. Battletech gives you less to do between robot fights... but also is less in the way of going on robot fights.

2) In the tactical layer, :xcom: exists for a reason, the game can just feel cheap and unfair in a way that Battletech usually doesn't outside the fluke punch to the head insta-killing you even if you're 40 tons heavier. A big part of it is how Battletech's fog of war is less absolute than WOTC - you get radar blips unless there's (rare) ECM enemies to give you some idea what's out there before engaging, while in WOTC moving 1 extra square in any direction could activate 2-3 pods at once and maybe you're just hosed. Plus Chosen and Alien Rulers can just drop in on you out of nowhere, which feels like a bigger deal than when your mission briefing understates the difficulty sometimes. Also bad luck just hurts you more in WOTC, because for most of the game your troops are just squishier than a mech that's anywhere near the right tonnage for the skull rating of the mission you're using it on.

Of course WOTC is going for a different tone, the whole idea is that you're fighting a guerilla war at a disadvantage to an entrenched enemy. Battletech is about being a badass motherfucker with a bunch of :krad: killbots smashing away at each other. Both games do a good job achieving this feel, outside extremes where some early mechs are made of glass and late game troopers in maxed gear like RAGE armor and shredstorm cannons and Chosen weapons and poo poo can (usually) just stomp everything.

The key thing for me is that Battletech is just more satisfying to play on a basic level. Wasting a tough enemy mech just feels better than taking out even the tough aliens in WOTC. Finally salvaging the first mech you really, really want just feels better than completing the research so you can build plasma rifles if you have enough money and alien alloys and elerium crystals. WOTC has better skill trees, but Battletech combination of pilot skills + mech salvage + mech customization is better than WOTC's skill trees + equipment progression + weapon mods.

I've played the poo poo out of both and am wrapping up my latest WOTC run, but Battletech is just fundamentally more FUN imo.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 22, 2019