Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
AITA for getting upset at my husband for not being able to tell the difference between my queso dip and my sisters?

quote:

What started out as a nice Sunday with my family has led to the worst fight my husband and I have ever had (both 27, married for 3 years now). There's lots of background here and we've both had frustrating weeks so we are both pretty keyed up.

My dad had his annual company BBQ this afternoon. All I wanted to do this morning was sleep but my husband woke me up at like 10 and asked if I'd be able to make my "famous" queso dip for my dads party. I asked him if he'd mind skipping it this rime because I was so worn out I just wanted to stay in bed, but he did his cute little boy face which I can't resist so I drove to Safeway. But it was slammed, they had to look in back for some ingredients and then I got in line behind a woman screaming at the check out girl and was asked by the police to wait and give a statement. It just raised my stress threshold to a degree I wasn't ready to deal with. I made my queso and we went to the party.

We are from New Mexico and I make my queso with hatch green chile. My sister moved to Texas and since Texas sucks and apparently wants to poison everyone, she makes queso skipping the green chile and add pork sausage. To me it's a greasy inedible mess and Texas can burn to the ground for thier bad queso and so many other reasons. But my sister is staying with my parents and she also made her queso and they were set next to each other on the pot luck table. Mine was gone in a matter of seconds and my husband came over to me with a huge pile of my sister's slop and said "babe this is delicious as always!"

I know I was already keyed up but my week, my morning, the stress of the grocery store trip and the hiur drive to my parents just set me off. I asked him if he was serious. He said yes. I asked if he didn't notice the lack of green chile and the little bits of sausage floating in it. He said "oh yeah!" I looked at him and said "youre an idiot, I made it FOR YOU and you can't even tell the difference." He said "no reason to be a bitch to me!" I told him I wanted to go home. He asked if this was because of "your inferiority complex with your sister?" I told him he was an rear end in a top hat and I left without saying goodbye to anyone and he only caught me at our car at the last second or I woukd have left him. We got into our worst fight where we drug up all the dirty laundry we had and we had an hour to get it all out.

We've been avoiding each other but I'm starting to calm down and realizing I may be in the wrong here. He did say somthing insensitive (followed by some truly lovely things) but was I the rear end in a top hat who started it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

runchild posted:

Where the hell do you live that restaurants DON’T ask how a party is gonna split the check by default?

I have/do run multiple high volume fine dining restaurants in SF and program a lot of POS systems for them. Especially with the time it takes to run chip and pin CC swipers, you are seriously delaying the payment process for everyone. We have a pretty hardline policy of no separate checks and will only split payment up to four ways. I’ll make an exception for things like ‘my per diem can’t be used to buy alcohol can you give me a check with food and my cocktails on another?’ Or ‘it’s my friends anniversary and I’d like to buy this bottle of Champagne for them’ but otherwise nah, especially if it’s some bullshit like ‘so she and I are going to split THIS app and then he and I will split THIS entree and can you put X desserts on my check and I’ll pay for 1/5 of the first bottle of wine and 1/6 of the second’ nope nope nope. Back when I still worked on the floor, a ten top of Salesforce tech weenies came in for a ‘team meeting’ and tried to whip out ten different Salesforce company cards to split their meal in some convoluted way and it’s like holy gently caress dude, have the team lead put it on their card and then submit your receipts to accounting that’s literally why you have a loving company card. To run 10 cards via chip and pin reader would take about six minutes total when done as fast as humanly possible during which times you cannot access any other screens, ring anything on any other check or walk away to do anything else (and neither can any of the other ten servers with twelve table sections on shift use that terminal either.) And this is with a top of the line, newly upgraded system from Oracle, it’s not like we’re running a Ukrainian bootleg version of Aloha on windows 98 (oh, memories....) just loving give your friend cash or Venmo or take turns or something, gently caress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

AITA for getting upset at my husband for not being able to tell the difference between my queso dip and my sisters?

Now I want to see the sisters that look exactly like queso dip (whatever the heck that is).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Anyone who flat out refuses to even ask for split checks/pay for what they actually ate rather than doing an even split in a group situation is just looking to freeload. Yeah it's nice you want to get drunk on £12 cocktails Stacy, but some people have lovely jobs or lots of bills and need to actually spend less than an entire weeks wages on a single night out.

With this in mind, if you end up in a group like and they refuse to back down this you are honour bound to hoist them by their own petard order at LEAST 5 cocktails at the same time when the waiter takes initial drink orders, as well as two orders of the most expensive item on the menu. Ask for the second lobster/steak/truffle souffle to be put in a doggy bag from the get go.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Now I want to see the sisters that look exactly like queso dip (whatever the heck that is).

it's a nacho-cheese type dip

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Weird how the extremely busy mexican restaurant down the street has no trouble running separate checks during lunch rush.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for kicking my Grandson out for not respecting my authority?

My Grandson is currently staying with me at my house. He doesn't want to live with his parents, so he moved in with me, which is fine. But I do have some conditions; namely that he get a job and pay rent, which he has done. He works at dairy queen, and pays me 400 dollars a month in rent.

I also usually require him to help around the house, normally just doing chores or helping me in the yard. But there are other rules I expect him to follow, like being home at a certain time (usually before midnight) and not buy certain groceries (unhealthy things like soda and junk food).

We usually have gotten along well, despite some tension here and then, until a couple weeks ago. Usually on Weekends, he stays out late and won't come home until 1 or 2. When I ask him about it he just shrugs it off and tells me he is hanging with his friends and that it's not a big deal. I usually try to remind him that it's one of the rules but he doesn't listen and says he's an adult and that it's not an issue. This angers me and we always fight, and he usually apologizes.

However, this Friday he went out with friends, and when I woke up yesterday morning he wasn't home, and his car wasn't in the driveway. He didn't get home until about 11. I was furious with him and immediately asked where he had been. He said that he had been staying over at a friends house, and decided to stay the night and so they could get breakfast together in the morning. Long story short we got into again and I'd had finally had enough. He doesn't see the issue with staying out late and coming home at random times and not telling me where he's going. So I told him he needs to be out by Monday and to move back in with his parents.

He got really upset at this and we fought some more, but I told him he wasn't respecting my rules so that he should just go home to his parents (My daughter is his mother) or stay with someone else who would allow him to act this way. He left this morning with most of his things I'm going to ship the rest.

I just got off the phone with his mother (my daughter) who thinks I'm being unfair, but I just told her the same thing which is that if he's living under my roof then he needs to abide by my rules. She was frustrated with me, but didn't press it. I feel like I'm in the right here, but I don't understand why both my Grandson and my Daughter think I'm being unreasonable. Am I being an rear end in a top hat?

His grandson pays $400 a month in rent, does chores, but he can't buy junk food with his own money and has a curfew? gently caress off.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The way this woman writes makes me want to declare her the rear end in a top hat, but they both sound pretty terrible. It's chip dip.

Ebola Roulette posted:

His grandson pays $400 a month in rent, does chores, but he can't buy junk food with his own money and has a curfew? gently caress off.

I want to know how old the grandson is. I kept waiting for that to be revealed and it never was- my money's on 40.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rubellavator posted:

Weird how the extremely busy mexican restaurant down the street has no trouble running separate checks during lunch rush.

I don't know why but I get the feeling the "six minutes is too long for people to pay for their meal" is also a landlord or something else as heinous as that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ebola Roulette posted:

Kinda want to know how lovely his parents are, that this was apparently a step up.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Rubellavator posted:

You mean fine dining is more complex than a taqueria/fast casual?!?! Whoa! I never would have guessed! I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time!

Lol $12 cocktails, try $18+

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
"My House, My Rules" is rarely the cry of a reasonable person, but it automatically becomes an rear end in a top hat attitude when a) you are charging $400 a month and b) the rules are loving stupid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You mean fine dining is more complex than a taqueria/fast casual?!?!

Uhh no what kind of hell idiot would think that? Anyway this was about paying not dining so unless it's a fine paying establishment, poo poo the gently caress off.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You mean fine dining is more complex than a taqueria/fast casual?!?! Whoa! I never would have guessed! I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time!

$56 per person including drinks and extra shots is not fine dining :colbert:

If the restaurant can't/won't split the cheque, you can split it yourselves using cash/paypal/internet banking etc, this is what non-freeloaders do.

(also pounds ain't dollars, hard as this government has worked to destroy the pound)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know why but I get the feeling the "six minutes is too long for people to pay for their meal" is also a landlord or something else as heinous as that.

I would love for you to see the loving meltdowns people have when processing payments is not instantaneous. And yeah, six minutes is significant in the pace of a restaurant when the server has 8-11 other tables to tend to.

I am the furthest thing from a goddamn landlord, string those fuckers up.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

$56 per person including drinks and extra shots is not fine dining :colbert:

If the restaurant can't/won't split the cheque, you can split it yourselves using cash/paypal/internet banking etc, this is what non-freeloaders do.

Yes exactly do that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Lol you suck at your job

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Rubellavator posted:

split checks is a cultural thing

When I lived in NYC, asking for split checks is considered rude as gently caress bc it slows down service. You either say it right at the start of the meal, or settle up with each other after. loving venmo bro. In fact, lots of places will straight up tell you they won't split it for you.

Now I'm in GA and it's assumed as default to split the check and drives me loving bonkers because holy poo poo people have absolutely no shame taking up like 15-20 minutes of a server's time splitting up 10 different checks at their table

I went out to eat a week ago and watching my poor waitress split out the checks for the table of rowdy folks pounding back margs and sangrias was so painful, and then they were so confused when they got the checks it took SO LOOOONNNNGGG

The idea with splitting a check evenly is you trust each other who gives a poo poo about a few bucks among friends, if you really aren't able to do that more's the pity to you, weirdo

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 22, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah if extracting money from ten separate customers disrupts your business in any way, you're business is literally a piece of poo poo. (The fact that they share a table is completely irrelevant process-wise. Unless you suck at processes.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Of course you use hatch green chiles, you already said you were from the southwest. What, do you think I joined your club for fake reasons?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah if extracting money from ten separate customers disrupts your business in any way, you're business is literally a piece of poo poo. (The fact that they share a table is completely irrelevant process-wise. Unless you suck at processes.)

it's not extracting the money, it's the logistics of splitting a check into separate checks takes extra time especially if it has already been rung up the once

most other places they will do this because 'customer service' and white people expectations thereof

in nyc some places will and some won't bc time is loving money and get out of our loving faces with extra work just bc you guys don't trust each other

i like this system, maybe stop being such a piece of poo poo about a few dollars or just eat alone

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Have you people worked in restaurants before? My guess is you haven't, or you worked at a place that did not get busy. Do you know what a pain in the rear end it is to print, drop in books, bring to table and then ring up 10 separate checks, especially when you're loving busy serving 7+ other tables? 10 minutes is a long loving time in the serving world during a rush.

It's especially a pain in the rear end if the server didn't split things properly in the POS to begin with (this depends on the POS) because then they have to gently caress around at the terminal to move everything around.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah see asking people to be conscientious of the system so it works faster for everyone is hard bc they get all I'M PAYING FOR SERVICE, BARBARA HAD AN EXTRA MARG I MUST NOT BE INVOLVED IN HER TRANSACTION and think bc they're spending 30 bucks on food they are a King

they do no realize they are being loving ingrates

i hope when they die they end up in check-splitting hell

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I always have the highest respect for people who believe that their industry is the only high-pressure industry where workers are habitually pushed for time and customers are demanding.

NOT!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

The way this woman writes makes me want to declare her the rear end in a top hat, but they both sound pretty terrible. It's chip dip.

I want to know how old the grandson is. I kept waiting for that to be revealed and it never was- my money's on 40.

From the comments he’s loving 22 years old

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

it sounds like you should be blaming your lovely POS system rather than people who want to do a normal thing to do at a restaurant

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Barudak posted:

Of course you use hatch green chiles, you already said you were from the southwest. What, do you think I joined your club for fake reasons?

The first rule of New Mexico Club is you don't talk about New Mexico Club.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Known Lecher posted:

The first rule of New Mexico Club is you don't talk about New Mexico Club.

but if you don't talk about it then how will you ferret out the fake New Mexicans trying to steal your superior New Mexico culture

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I prefer hatch chile queso to meat quesos but the way she's talking poo poo about Texas I'm ready to piledrive her into the dirt :texas:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Man, gently caress you and your lovely whitepeople dip.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I have/do run multiple high volume fine dining restaurants in SF and program
Help, the rear end in a top hat is coming from inside the thread!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

coronatae posted:

I prefer hatch chile queso to meat quesos but the way she's talking poo poo about Texas I'm ready to piledrive her into the dirt :texas:

“Poor New Mexico! So far from Heaven; so close to Texas.”

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

coronatae posted:

Same.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 22, 2019

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Barudak posted:

Man I wonder why this kid doesnt want to live with his parents

AnoHito posted:

Kinda want to know how lovely his parents are, that this was apparently a step up.

It sounds like the parents weren't lovely, the grandson just wanted to live closer to the city.

quote:

He is 22 years old. He doesn't want to live with his parents because he likes the area I live in more than the area they live (small in the countryside where as I live in the suburb of a larger city).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

StrangersInTheNight posted:

it's not extracting the money, it's the logistics of splitting a check into separate checks takes extra time especially if it has already been rung up the once

most other places they will do this because 'customer service' and white people expectations thereof

in nyc some places will and some won't bc time is loving money and get out of our loving faces with extra work just bc you guys don't trust each other

i like this system, maybe stop being such a piece of poo poo about a few dollars or just eat alone

one time after a large family luncheon at a filled-to-capacity bruncherie i brought my own loving plate and cup to the bus bucket and a haggared rear end in a top hat in a lovely sunday school teacher vest nearly shat their depends right then and there. you could see them drain the humanity and mentally label my husk THE HELP.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Idgi just chant MY RESTAURANT MY RULES at the POS and it should split checks just fine?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for wanting my daughter to stop texting her uncle videos of her doing ballet?

quote:

Me and my wife have a daughter who is 10. Her uncle (my wife's brother) is a gay man who is married to a guy who is a ballet professor. He used to dance but then he got injured etc. so he only teaches it now, as far as I know, to young adults.

When my daughter was 3 or 4, she saw one of his ballet performances and was completely enthralled so we got her into a ballet school. By the way, we don't live in the same city as my brother in law and his husband, so he was never my daughter's teacher.

Recently, my daughter has been asking her friends to take a photo or video of her dancing. She sends it to my brother in law and asks to show it to his husband and wants to know what he thinks. He usually says "well done, sweetheart!" or "beautiful!", but sometimes he comments on her posture and form and whatever. I don't exactly see why this is necessary. I've never said anything to him, but I told my wife I want to talk to our daughter and tell her to stop texting them videos of her.

My wife thinks we should be happy that we have a professional in our family who can give her advice outside of ballet school. I think that since he isn't her teacher, why would he comment on her posture and form? I think it's ok to give her uncle-like comments (like "well done"), but I don't see why it's necessary for him to go further than that, and also I'm not 100% comfortable with people who aren't her parents having videos of her dancing on their phone.

Currently, my wife is "forbidding" me from talking to our daughter about it, and I think she's being unreasonable.

Edit: I just want to point out that NO, I don't IN ANY WAY think my BIL is a creep or a pedophile. I said he was gay to make an additional point at why I don't feel like there's anything creepy going on. I just think he's being too serious about it. My daughter is a little girl and ballet is her hobby, and I don't see why he's giving her criticism as if she's about to become the next most famous ballerina in the world.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DemoneeHo posted:

It sounds like the parents weren't lovely, the grandson just wanted to live closer to the city.

lol at a midnight curfew and "no junk food or soda!" rule for a loving 22 year old paying a decent non-token amount of rent (unless he's DANGEROUSLY obese and at risk of death from diabetes I guess for the soda/food thing but even then help the guy out with getting treatment for his mental disorder rather than making unenforceable rules that he'll just break any time he's outside the house)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for wanting my daughter to stop texting her uncle videos of her doing ballet?

kid just wants to be better at ballet, you defo have at least a subconscious belief that the guy IS a creep but you're pretending that it's because you don't want her to take her hobby too seriously. Why even let her do lessons if you think "caring about being good at a thing" is bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA for getting a tattoo that my wife has "forbid"?

First off both me and my wife have tattoos already, it's actually how we hit it off when we first met each other a few years ago. We were at a friend's party and I complimented one of hers (a spider on her neck), we ended up comparing ink and swapping phone numbers.

We've both got several tattoos since getting married, and we've never felt the need to get approval from each other for this. She recently got a new piece on her back, I knew she had a session booked but I don't ask what she's getting cuz I like the surprise. I wouldn't ever tell her not to get any design, it's her body and she can do what she wants.

When I book a new session she always asks what I'm getting, just cuz she's excited for it though, it's never seemed like she's vetting my choice.

This brings me to earlier this week. I'd let her know that I had two sessions booked to get a touch up, and a new tattoo. When I showed her the design new tattoo she straight up burst out laughing in my face. I honestly though she was loving around at first, but then she said "that's the most ret*rded idea I've ever seen".

We ended the conversation joking around about it, honestly I was really embarrassed by the way she was talking to me so I just pretended like I agreed with her and left the room.

Now a few days later I hear from a mutual friend that she's been telling everyone her hilarious story where she "forbid" me from getting a stupid tattoo. Obviously this pissed me off, she didn't 'forbid' anything, she just laughed in my face and called me an idiot. And now to be laughing about me with people we know???

Anyway I never cancelled my appointment, and now I truly don't give a gently caress and am planning to go ahead with the tattoo regardless. I don't plan on telling my wife this as I'm not asking for her opinion on this again.

I told my friend this and he thinks I'm being a complete rear end in a top hat, and that my wife is right about my tattoo.

So right now Im still planning on going ahead with it. It's a tattoo with a lot of personal meaning to me, and it doesn't matter to me if other people think it's stupid. My only worry is my relationship with my wife, as she will definitely freak out about this.

Anyway my session is booked for tomorrow, WIBTA if I go ahead with this tattoo?

Edit: I don't really think it's important to if I'm an rear end in a top hat or not, but since everyone is asking about the tattoo. It's the mouth scars the Joker has in the dark knight. Ive got so many reasons why this is important to me personally, I could write a whole essay on it. Btw it would be done 100% tasteful, it's not going to be a trashy tattoo.

he's 27, she's 19, they met years ago.

OP seems to be taking this situation way too seriously.