Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nameless King is the hardest for me because on phase 1 if I can't nuke the dragon, is a lovely fight against the camera (I don't lock on but still) and in phase 2 I need to get used to the delay on swings. Friede? I can stagger her so I can punish her combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Soul Reaver posted:

I often wonder just how much of my experience with this game is colored by my leaning on Sorcery in my first playthrough (and my tendency to solo bosses).

Friede stage 1 was my least favorite, because her invisibility meant I constantly had to be in her face.

Hitting Friede (or any invisible boss in the series, afaik) with a throwing knife or arrow will cause it to stick out of her and stay visible even if she cloaks. No more guessing!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Nameless King is the hardest for me because on phase 1 if I can't nuke the dragon, is a lovely fight against the camera (I don't lock on but still) and in phase 2 I need to get used to the delay on swings. Friede? I can stagger her so I can punish her combos.

friede with a str weapon is night and day compared to attacking with a dex weapon, because of the staggering effect of greatswords/hammers that you don't get to use with a katana or scythe.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I finally made a character and started playing last night, and beat Iudex Gundyr first try :hellyeah:

Ignore the fact that I died twice to trash mobs on the way to him, and once by rolling straight off a cliff. It's been a minute since I last played Bloodborne, and I've been all caught up in Spiderman - I lost my Souls muscle memory. I started as a knight, but I'm planning on changing armor asap and switching out of swords forever as soon as I get the chance - up until I get me my drang drumsticks, however long that takes. I'm trying to go in kinda blind, which I haven't done with a Souls game before.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I found the souls games as a whole a lot more tolerable once I started using guides. There's like, entire levels gated behind invisible walls or that you might just miss. Or situations where the nearest bonfire to a boss isn't obvious, so you end up having to run back further than you should each time you die.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think that's part of the appeal. I start religiously checking wikis only after I've played the game through once.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gort posted:

I found the souls games as a whole a lot more tolerable once I started using guides. There's like, entire levels gated behind invisible walls or that you might just miss. Or situations where the nearest bonfire to a boss isn't obvious, so you end up having to run back further than you should each time you die.
Honestly I couldn't have played through the first 60% of Bloodborne or the first 40% of SOTFS without a guide, I'm not remotely adverse to them - but I'm familiar enough with the gameplay and stuff now that I may as well give it a try. I'm gunna be playing through blind with some (pretty experienced) friends in coop too, something I also never do.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Whalley posted:

Honestly I couldn't have played through the first 60% of Bloodborne or the first 40% of SOTFS without a guide, I'm not remotely adverse to them - but I'm familiar enough with the gameplay and stuff now that I may as well give it a try. I'm gunna be playing through blind with some (pretty experienced) friends in coop too, something I also never do.

Oh, the coop thing changes everything. I'm sure you'll be fine.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Just started Ringed City, and those angels are my least favorite part of the entire game :saddowns:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

axolotl farmer posted:

Just started Ringed City, and those angels are my least favorite part of the entire game :saddowns:

good to know they didn't change them over the last however many years since the DLC came out

Whalley posted:

I started as a knight, but I'm planning on changing armor asap and switching out of swords forever as soon as I get the chance - up until I get me my drang drumsticks, however long that takes.

IIRC you have to beat 3 bosses in order to get to the area in which they're placed, but there's several other bosses you might end up fighting first if you don't know precisely where they are. it's definitely worth looking up on a guide if you want to rush them ASAP

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Freaking Crumbum posted:

good to know they didn't change them over the last however many years since the DLC came out

They did tone them down a bit in the second Ringed City patch. Their damage isn't as crazy. And I think their tracking was scaled back as well.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

IIRC you have to beat 3 bosses in order to get to the area in which they're placed, but there's several other bosses you might end up fighting first if you don't know precisely where they are. it's definitely worth looking up on a guide if you want to rush them ASAP
That's fine - I know that they're apparently strongest when you make them Sharp Balls On Sticks, so I guess I'm gunna do my first ever high dex run too? I know somewhere in the first area there's a dude with a katana who I gotta beat to get his weapon - I just gotta find him first, then kill him, and roll with that until I become the god of maracas

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Are they really best Sharp? Where do you have that info from? I had them Refined my first time because I was going for quality, but that might no longer be true. Maybe put them through a calculator...

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Whalley posted:

That's fine - I know that they're apparently strongest when you make them Sharp Balls On Sticks, so I guess I'm gunna do my first ever high dex run too? I know somewhere in the first area there's a dude with a katana who I gotta beat to get his weapon - I just gotta find him first, then kill him, and roll with that until I become the god of maracas

hint: his AI has no idea what the gently caress to do if you're above him and pelting him with ranged weapons. also? dude won't survive falling off a cliff, same as a player (but his gear will survive on reload)

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

It's 2019 and Valorheart is still the best weapon in the series by a wide margin

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

Are they really best Sharp? Where do you have that info from? I had them Refined my first time because I was going for quality, but that might no longer be true. Maybe put them through a calculator...

I actually did put them through a calculator! Refined is clearly the best infusion for the Drang Hammers, with its AR overtaking Sharp at 29 STR with both 40 and 50 DEX. With 30 DEX, it overtakes Sharp at 27. At 20 DEX you're looking at 24 STR to exactly match the two infusions' respective AR.

In other words: for the Drang Hammers, the best play (after meeting minimum requirements) is to infuse it with Refined, work on getting STR to 30 ASAP, then DEX to 30, then increase the two stats basically evenly until you're satisfied or you hit 60 in each stat.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

I actually did put them through a calculator! Refined is clearly the best infusion for the Drang Hammers, with its AR overtaking Sharp at 29 STR with both 40 and 50 DEX. With 30 DEX, it overtakes Sharp at 27. At 20 DEX you're looking at 24 STR to exactly match the two infusions' respective AR.

In other words: for the Drang Hammers, the best play (after meeting minimum requirements) is to infuse it with Refined, work on getting STR to 30 ASAP, then DEX to 30, then increase the two stats basically evenly until you're satisfied or you hit 60 in each stat.
Oh poo poo, thanks. I was a little put off by the idea of having Sharp Balls, so I'm gunna roll with them being my Refined Maracas once I get them. I'm so loving excited by these dumb drumsticks I swear

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Update: In the high wall of lothric, I kept dying to the red cloaked knight after the dragon that breathes fire. Like, one in every four times I tried, I managed to kill him. Then only one in every three times after that did I make it past the big slime dude on the roof, then only one in every two did I make it through the big room that has two dogs and an estus shard, and only after I'd died about 40 times did I discover there's a bonfire right the gently caress above the room the red cloaked knight is guarding.

:negative:

This game's way more my speed than DS1.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lmao

Now let me tell you a very interesting secret: the Lothric Knight just moves out of the way if you wait for 10 seconds, and you can stroll past him easily. Metal Gear Soulid.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

lmao

Now let me tell you a very interesting secret: the Lothric Knight just moves out of the way if you wait for 10 seconds, and you can stroll past him easily. Metal Gear Soulid.
Weird, I thought I was playing Dark Souls, not Big Baby What Doesn't Kill Things Souls :v:

Fighting him was good, because it taught me to use the shield kick move, something I have never used in the past. As a result, the spear-wielding Lothric Knight who is not far after him was really easy.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You can just hoof it past Slime dude on the roof. He doesn’t detonate until you’re close, so just start running after you have dropped down from the ladder and don’t stop until you reach the other ladder.

If you got good sim, you can run up to him and murder him before the slime erupts.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

You can just hoof it past Slime dude on the roof. He doesn’t detonate until you’re close, so just start running after you have dropped down from the ladder and don’t stop until you reach the other ladder.

If you got good sim, you can run up to him and murder him before the slime erupts.
The last couple times I killed him I learned he's super weak to firebombs; it takes like four or five to kill him, and I can all but guarantee 3 by making the dragon burn all them hollows - but yeah, running past would be easier if I wasn't so drat concerned with leaving a big bodycount. I can't help it, the game plays too much like Bloodborne for me to not be a fantasy hoonter, out hoonting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don’t get the titanite shard reward if you kill them by smacking them before they transform but I think you can only get that once per guy, so if you’ve killed them once then just charge in and shut them down before they can transform

When killing one for the first time though I suggest buying the torch and keeping it in your left hand. It’s weak but hitting them with it will have the same :kingsley: effect as a firebomb without having to spend an item.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
This video has some super fun stuff in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WM4jzbobH0

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Whalley posted:

Weird, I thought I was playing Dark Souls, not Big Baby What Doesn't Kill Things Souls :v:

The Brave Sir Robin is a legitimate strategy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's not fun though.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

If it’s a long hike from the bonfire to the place where I get repeatedly killed, I have no shame admitting that I just run like hell after a while. High Lothric rooftop with Pus of Man is a good example.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Running past stuff works really really well and it should probably, in general, work at least a bit less well

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Can’t decide if Crystal Sages is the worst boss, or Oceiros. Hm.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
crystal sages is boring but inoffensive

Wolnir is a laughably easy boss to the point where if your weapon is pretty good he often literally never gets to attack, and Yhorm has arguably the worst gimmick in the entire series

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

crystal sages is boring but inoffensive

Wolnir is a laughably easy boss to the point where if your weapon is pretty good he often literally never gets to attack, and Yhorm has arguably the worst gimmick in the entire series

Yhorm is a huge Demon's Souls reference, and that makes the gimmick incredible, actually.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

new kind of cat posted:

Can’t decide if Crystal Sages is the worst boss, or Oceiros. Hm.

Nah, it Midir.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

King of Solomon posted:

Yhorm is a huge Demon's Souls reference, and that makes the gimmick incredible, actually.

I had played demon's souls before ds3 and I still think he sucks

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

Nah, it Midir.

yeah it's this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Who’s the slug guy with the arrow carpet? It’s that guy. I never beat that guy

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got to grand archives on my last run. I thi I it's time to restart and do a luck bleed hollow dex build. Poison and bleed are really bad but seem fun.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Just beat the game. I still have Nameless King, Friede, and the whole Ringed City DLC to go. Final boss was cool but definitely on the easy side. Don’t know if I have the patience for NK with that stupid first phase fight against the camera though.

PS: how can you dodge Friede’s invisible grab attack in phase one?

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 23, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can track where she jumps to when she's invisible by the direction of the sound, and then hit her before she does anything. Or put throwing knives into her if you don't want to learn how to do that.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Midir is kicking the poo poo out of me. I'm even doing worse when I add phantoms into the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You probably just want to do Midir solo, he's so tanky already and gaining more health+defenses for each phantom makes him ridiculous.