Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Apologies if this is a stupid question but while i'm waiting for the plastic dudes to show up i've been flicking thru the chaos codex and i've fallen in love with art of this absolute dumbass on the wargear page who's duel wielding falchions and wearing a cape, does this guy have a name? I've tried searching online but no luck.
Also is there a discord for 40k, I didn't see one in the goon directory.

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Xenolalia posted:

Apologies if this is a stupid question but while i'm waiting for the plastic dudes to show up i've been flicking thru the chaos codex and i've fallen in love with art of this absolute dumbass on the wargear page who's duel wielding falchions and wearing a cape, does this guy have a name? I've tried searching online but no luck.

There are some who call him ... Tim?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Do you ever have one of those games where just nothing works? Between the critical dice rolls and my lovely memory yesterday's game was one of those.

I had arranged a 'casual' game against someone just starting out with AdMech (and possibly 40k in general, as he brought up AoS rules at a few points by mistake). Knowing he was new, I thought it would be a good opportunity to field all the units I've barely used since 8E came out:
  • Tervigon with devgaunts
  • 2 max Warrior broods with a Prime each
  • OOE with four fex bodyguards.
  • Hormagaunts and rippers to make up the numbers
Normally I use Kraken, but with this list I thought Leviathan would be more effective due to the huge amount of synapse.

As I also have an AdMech army, I arranged in advance to loan my opponent three Kataphrons to give him an even 2k pts. He showed up with a fairly mean-looking Cawl firebase with three Onagers, four Kastelans and MSU Ranger snipers. The opening dice rolls made it clear what kind of game it was going to be. Despite me managing to get first turn, my opponent seized, then with the very first action of the game he sniped my Neurothrope warlord off the field as I rolled snake eyes for its invuln. First Blood and Slay the Warlord from two shots. Yay.
Other 'highlights' include:

• Despite controlling most of the board for the majority of the game, I barely draw any of my own objective cards. It was constantly either be 'kill stuff' cards, or the two objectives in the middle of the enemy firebase.
  • Totally forgot to use adrenal glands on my Carnifexes in the first turn, failing a charge on turn two by 1".
  • Misread the rules for OOE, forgetting he did D3 mortal wounds on a charge instead of 1, and only got the bonus hits on 5+ rather than 4+. He failed to kill an Onager by a single wound.
  • That was in part due to the fact that he was re-rolling all the invuln saves for that Onager rather than just the 1's. I only caught that after he game as I've never fielded multiple Onagers before.
  • I managed to kill enough Skitarii to make my opponent's Dominus warlord closest unit to a full Warrior brood (with 6 deathspitters & 3 barbed stranglers). Despite two full rounds of fire from Single-minded Annihilation and well over 20 wounds, he only failed 3 saves. Then regenerated them all the following turn. Killing him would have given me 2VP and made the game a tie at the end.
  • As I'm so used to using Kraken I completely forgot to use the Leviathan FNP trait for the entire game.

I think the only saving grace of the game was him supercharging the Kataphron plasma guns to kill a Carnifex, then despite the re-rolls from Cawl they still killed themselves. Maybe the dice only wanted models I own to die :shrug:

xtothez fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 22, 2019

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Re: the cards, try using the new Maelstrom rules from White Dwarf. They're a lot better.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not very happy with the weathering on my tanks. :smith:

I am not unhappy enough to redo it, but it shows my lack of airbrush and general weathering experience.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do people use those weathering powders from Forge World? They look pretty cool.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

You don't have to use them. You can grab some chalk pastels from your local art store, and powder them into something similar.

If you want to get a "proper" and realistic weathered look on your models you will definitely need to use the powders, filters and oil washes.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I also play Necrons, 2 Doomsday Arks, 6 destroyers, 6 gauss tomb blades, the rest mostly immortals and such. It's not top tier but I always have a lot of fun

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
@xtothez sounds bad, but looks dope!

A buddy of mine also has Admech, wirh sn emphasis on Knights and big armored stuff. We haven't played yet, and I cringe at the very thought.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gunder posted:

https://www.earthpigments.com/

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Tesla immortals are better in pretty much every situation.

I used to play warrior blibs but they just got mercilessly pounded off the table. Reanimation protocols do nothing to compensate for the fact that 20 warriors are real easy to kill, and ddas are not.

What kind of terrain do you play with? I find giving necrons cover makes a massive difference.

Also Tesla is better on paper but my meta involves multiple kinds of units that you take -1 or more to hit against. They suck against that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

I used valejo pigments very lightly

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does anyone have a pigment recommendation that would match VMA Bonewhite? I want to experiment with adding dust to the legs of my purple marines.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Gunder posted:

I use concrete pigments. Me and a couple of friends split a bunch a while back and have enough to last the rest of our lives and ended up paying about ~$10 or so each. They're also really awesome for making your own washes and paint if you're so inclined.

Actual 40k content: At my son's behest, I did finally pick up Dark Imperium yesterday after just playing AoS and Necromunda for the last few years. I was initially going to build these bigmarines up as Raven Guard to pal around with my AdMech, but am second guessing that now...anyone done Ultras on Martian bases? If so, how'd they turn out?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EdsTeioh posted:

I use concrete pigments. Me and a couple of friends split a bunch a while back and have enough to last the rest of our lives and ended up paying about ~$10 or so each. They're also really awesome for making your own washes and paint if you're so inclined.

Actual 40k content: At my son's behest, I did finally pick up Dark Imperium yesterday after just playing AoS and Necromunda for the last few years. I was initially going to build these bigmarines up as Raven Guard to pal around with my AdMech, but am second guessing that now...anyone done Ultras on Martian bases? If so, how'd they turn out?

I think the contrast of red and blue would look really good.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think the contrast of red and blue would look really good.

That was my thought as well. Also, I really hate the let these decals go to waste; they might be the best ones I've ever seen GW include in a kit.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

EdsTeioh posted:

Painting Buddha has a whole playlist about painting up an Ultramarine on a Martian base. First video here.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Gunder posted:

I bought a full set of the FW powders years ago, and use them quite a bit. Mostly the browns and blacks for rust, dirt, and soot, the grays for concrete and urban based models. I haven't done a ton of experimenting but they're pretty nice to add some grit and weathering to just about anything.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I was thinking of doing Primaris Celestial Lions, but this dude's are so good, I am disheartened:

https://twitter.com/nohara_painter/status/1153111377923280896

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Never be discouraged by someone's single model. A paint job like that is the result of many days of painting, if not weeks. It's not supposed to result in an army. Paint an army.

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010
Just go for it! I hate doing metallic gold so used a sand colour for mine instead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/22/battle-sister-bulletin-part-12-repentgw-homepage-post-3/

GW has finally revealed how the Repentias will look.

None too surprisingly, no parchment bodywraps in sight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/22/battle-sister-bulletin-part-12-repentgw-homepage-post-3/

Definitely a big improvement over the old models

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

I was thinking of doing Primaris Celestial Lions, but this dude's are so good, I am disheartened:

https://twitter.com/nohara_painter/status/1153111377923280896

If it makes you feel better that person't never finishing a kill team, let alone an army.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eifert Posting posted:

If it makes you feel better that person't never finishing a kill team, let alone an army.

He started painting that model a month ago.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

They threaded the needle IMO - totally channels the spirit of the old mini while making them suitably tasteful and more importantly menacing. Awaiting the salt from the usual suspects (not here) that these hyper-violent myrmidons aren't waifu material.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Awaiting the salt from the usual suspects (not here) that these hyper-violent myrmidons aren't waifu material.

Already in full effect from what I've seen.

I'm sure there'll be some Russian third party count as coming out before long.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cooked Auto posted:

These loving rule and I'm super excited for the Sisters release.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How did the sisters play in their previous incarnation? Pretty similar to Marines? I’ve never seen anyone use them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

These loving rule and I'm super excited for the Sisters release.

They really do look fantastic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Those repentia, I love them. While I personally never had huge problems with the power armor, the repentia always made me feel like a massive creep (and I'm a woman). I liked the IDEA of stripping them of their power armor and fighting to the death for repentance but the actual models were always so goddamn gross. These are very cool.

Gunder posted:

How did the sisters play in their previous incarnation? Pretty similar to Marines? I’ve never seen anyone use them.

Somewhere between marines and guard. They weren't as cheap as IG but you could field more than marines.

Their exact playstyle has always been a bit over the place because the codices always radically changed.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Cooked Auto posted:

poo poo yes, I've been wanting to run repentia with the bloody rose rules but I can't bring myself to put the current models on the table

e: Also I like the blindfold; gives them an excuse for the -1 to hit

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 22, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They look great from head to practical boots.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Prions! posted:

Just go for it! I hate doing metallic gold so used a sand colour for mine instead.

I tried nmm on this model and hosed up so bad, someone was like "I love that sandstone effect!"

Haha yeah! Sandstone! I uhhh, I nailed it!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is what I'm thinking of bringing to NOVA. Thoughts?

code:
Regal Skulls - Wizard Van List
CP: 8

Battalion - Deathwatch
HQ: Primaris Watch Captain (Power Sword, Master-Crafted Auto Bolt Rifle, Relic: Beacon Angelis)
HQ: Watch Master (Warlord: Lord of Hidden Knowledge) 
T: Fortis Kill Team
   - 5 Intercessors w/ Bolt Rifles (Sergeant w/ Power Sword & Grenade Launcher)
   - 5 Hellblasters w/ Plasma Incinerators
   - 5 Hellblasters w/ Plasma Incinerators
FA: 3 Inceptors w/ Plasma Incinerators
HS: Repulsor Executioner (Heavy Laser Destroyer)
HS: Repulsor Executioner (Heavy Laser Destroyer)

Supreme Command Detachment - Adeptus Astartes
HQ: Dark Angel Librarian in Phobos Armour (Hallucination, Tenebrous Curse)
HQ: Dark Angel Primaris Librarian (Aversion, Mind Wipe)
HQ: Space Wolf Primaris Rune Priest (Tempest's Wrath, Jaws of the World Wolf)

Auxiliary Support Detachment - Officio Assassinorum
E: Vindicare Assassin
This list assumes that Deathwatch can bring Repulsor Exterminators, which NOVA has indicated is legal unless Games Workshop clarifies otherwise. The intent behind this list is to have a solid foundation of multi-wound objective holders (5 squads of Primaris each with Objective Secured) aided by two anti-tank platforms. The Watch Captain and Inceptors start in reserve to perform a deep strike attack; when the Watch Captain arrives he can pull a Hellblaster squad forward as well to provide rerolls for overcharged plasma. The Watch Master supports the Repulsors, allowing them to reroll misses with the equivalent of 8 lascannon shots per turn.

The Librarians provide a really fun combination of powers. The Phobos first casts Hallucination to reduce a target's Ld by 1 and potentially cause a -1 to hit, and Tenebrous Curse on another target to cut their movement characteristic in half. The Dark Angel Primaris Librarian uses Aversion to give another target a -1 to hit, and Mind Wipe against the target of Hallcuination to potentially permanently reduce their WS, BS, and Ld by 1. The Rune Priest also reduces hitting by -1 using Tempest's Wrath, and then Jaws of the World Wolf can be used against the target with reduced movement to deal a significant amount of mortal wounds (on average 5 MW to something that originally had a movement value of 6").

The Vindicare does what the Vindicare does. I might swap it out for a Callidus or Eversor. Probably not a Culexus.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Prions! posted:

Thanks for the encouragement, and that looks wonderful!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

They look great from head to practical boots.

Those could be be steel toed shoes which important when wielding a motorized chain tool. The lack of ankle support, however, is worrisome.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Maneck posted:

Those could be be steel toed shoes which important when wielding a motorized chain tool. The lack of ankle support, however, is worrisome.

gently caress I missed that. Welp scrape em and back to drawing board!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Maneck posted:

Snapped ankles are part of their penance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Snapped ankles are part of their penance.

Blessed Shin Splints of Saint Praxiedes