Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darko posted:

The counterargument to that is allowing Franken's full investigation he asked for, whether it resulted in his removal or not, would have created precedence for a non half-assed investigation of Kavanaugh, as opposed to what we got. The narrative would have then either been "we investigated our own and found him not guilty" or "we investigated our own and ousted him" as opposed to Republicans just shouting political tricks and stalling.

Unfortunately that process was taking too long given that there were eight total accusers.

After a certain point you're just a distraction and you need to go. Presuming your party has any actual goal other than further distraction. Franken had to take the hit for the party and he fell on his sword like a good soldier.

Mahoning posted:

I agree. I'm just being pedantic. But in theory you would give someone like that a little more room to forgive them if they seem truly contrite or to have learned anything at all. However, this article shows that Franken isn't any of those things so gently caress him.

I can't read the article right now but yeah, theoretically there's room for someone like Franken to come back if he genuinely changes. If he doesn't change though well no real loss, his seat went to someone who votes just the same way he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

twice burned ice posted:

Exactly, and to not do so would have rendered criticism of Kavanaugh hollow. Those hearings would have become about Dem hypocrisy and Al Franken.

Sure, Kavanaugh was confirmed anyway, but during the hearings a powerful statement was made about believing women. That simply doesn't happen with Franken on the committee.

While that is true, my point is that going "yeah it's a good thing we did that because it would have hosed up the Kavanaugh proceedings" doesn't give us enough credit. We would have kicked him out if the Republicans didn't even exist, because *that is what we do*. We, the citizens, fired him because he offended our values, not for political gain. High level, yes, that was the real reason that he was actually fired, but on an individual level I would like to give us more credit than that.

The left is far too reactionary when it comes to the right. We should highlight the times when we do things just because our values demand it, not because of fear of criticism from some people who already hate us to the core and will continue to hate us no matter what we do

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Ugh. My father had to wrangle a property that was like the ones that were lost in the article (repeatedly passed to heirs with no formal wills or recordation) and it was a complete nightmare to get it straightened out and buy out uninterested distant relatives to get to a modern deed/title held only by the heirs that wanted to keep it in the family. The system is very clearly set up to encourage people to not bother trying which gives the greedy rich white developers an opening.

I'll have to send him the article. He'll be glad to know he inadvertently made sure the land which their family got right after the civil war won't be stolen in the future. And also get a kick out of how the attorney who kept telling him it was pointless was even more wrong than he thought.

Your dad is a goddamn hero and I salute him ShiftyPony!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TulliusCicero posted:

I know this is Donny Goodbrains, but how would the Squad be racist exactly? Is it the loving fake-rear end Anti-Semetism thing again?

Without putting much thought into it it’s probably because in his head he knows he’s not racist so those four must be the racists because they’re not white and they’re saying mean things.

The alternative is he knows his base loves it so he’s saying it to get more support. This of course requires you to think that trump is capable of playing 9d chess so it’s probably not this one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/1153334905608294402

LOL Pelosi

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dems worthless so what

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
"Nancy Pelosi is very good at her job" - somebody in this thread, still, probably

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Just lol at thinking there will be a Dem president in 2021

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TulliusCicero posted:

Even as an extremely lax Catholic/ Agnostic the Right's constant misinterpretation of every loving core principle of actual Christianity pains me somewhere deep inside

That post with all the "Christians" whining about Trump taking the Lord's name in vain is some good schad but also how are they so loving dumb?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RandomBlue posted:

That post with all the "Christians" whining about Trump taking the Lord's name in vain is some good schad but also how are they so loving dumb?

They aren't dumb. Just evil bad faith actors.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Yeah if this surprises anyone you haven't been paying attention/posting hard enough

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/schadenfraade/status/1153337668148711424

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can't read the article right now but yeah, theoretically there's room for someone like Franken to come back if he genuinely changes. If he doesn't change though well no real loss, his seat went to someone who votes just the same way he did.

The big takeaways from the article that wasn't really public knowledge to this point was that all of Franken's friends knew him as this goofy, clumsy, kind of sexless guy that "glomped" you when he greeted you by kissing you, grabbing you hard, and poo poo like that (which as someone who teeters on the spectrum, I absolutely HATE that, so I definitely get the uncomfortable response to anyone doing that, even in a friendly manner), and also that the pantomimed groping from the pic was part of a rehearsed bit they did many times and not out of the blue, with her...mis-remembering, at best, basically her entire story about that tour that initially kicked everything off. And, to your point, Franken's gropy greetings gradually changed when people on his staff told him it could be construed wrong.

No real voting loss, but I'd say it definitely backfired on 0.5% polling GIllibrand. Harris, not taking the prime role in telling him to quit, actually escaped the same kind of effect.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Good news, Trump is not racist

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Don't bury the lead

https://twitter.com/megerman/status/1153342488104591366

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

RandomBlue posted:

The stupidity is the point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i like that 34 is a young republican.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
it loving annoys me that regressives are so entitled, like people have to have a reason to wqork in your shithole town, they have to have a reason to come live or do the recreation there.

this isnt a god drat sim city game.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What normal person uses insalubrious in a talking points meme? Also ignoring Israel's apartheid state is NOT RACIST because nobody cares about Palestinians?

e. also lol @ disavowing David Duke 20 years ago, like good job I guess? Maybe not call his spiritual descendants 'very fine people' then

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Welp, guess that's settled.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The one karmic victory in hell universe is the Republicans inceling themselves out of existence

Also is that Steven Miller in a disguise?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Democratic leadership wouldn't want to actually pass any of the progressive policies that make up their platform, the debt ceiling negotiations give them a convenient out for that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

friendbot2000 posted:

Your dad is a goddamn hero and I salute him ShiftyPony!

I need to emphasize just how inadvertent it was: my father is a forester the family hired to manage the land so he was just covering his rear end. The legal penalties involved if you cut timber you don't have a clear right to are beyond draconian and nobody (landowners, loggers, or timber mills) wants to deal with a forester who plays loose with land ownership.

He definitely has a chunk of problematic and racist views of the "pro-business conservative" mold, but a family has a clear title to their land and in the 90s I remember him helping one of his AA employees to learn to read and giving another a running truck and an old but working computer + printer for their kids so ... land of contrasts I guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

heh

https://twitter.com/American_Bridge/status/1152362308754186240

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ewiley posted:

What normal person uses insalubrious in a talking points meme? Also ignoring Israel's apartheid state is NOT RACIST because nobody cares about Palestinians?

e. also lol @ disavowing David Duke 20 years ago, like good job I guess? Maybe not call his spiritual descendants 'very fine people' then

gently caress that, I remember a reporter cornering him on David Duke during Charlottesville and the "fine people on both sides" poo poo. He wasn't disavowing a loving thing, he did Olympic-level tap dancing then tried to say he had no idea who that person was.

Doesn't really matter though as fascist propaganda is about spreading hate as an emotional residue of every conversation and being factually wrong is done on purpose. Sartre had this nailed down decades ago.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

He is in luck

https://mobile.twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1151670050232815616

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1153327028860542982?s=20

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Just lol at saying that firing franken helped anything. Kavanaugh got confirmed and when there's credible accounts of trump sexually assaulting people, the democrats just shrug. If you want to say on principal franken should have been fired/resigned fine but don't try to pretend it did anything for the democrats.

I mean I guess it shows that they'll be harsh on their own members but do jack poo poo when the accusations are against republicans.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I know there’s more wrong than that but good luck finding a conservative man who doesn’t care that an independent woman is doing her own thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

5 is such a loving lie its not even funny. 6 is too.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Thank God for men who understand that us ambitious ladies.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mahoning posted:

I think that's what REALLY bothers me about it. All of these Dems in DC grew a spine to knife one of their own in the back (even if he deserved it) but can't do the same for another sitting Senator who was caught on tape doing the same thing to an underage girl!

Why the gently caress is this country ok with this stuff? It is literally on camera.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I think that's what REALLY bothers me about it. All of these Dems in DC grew a spine to knife one of their own in the back (even if he deserved it) but can't do the same for another sitting Senator who was caught on tape doing the same thing to an underage girl!

because its his kid. while i probably think he is a sexpest(like all morality types) i don't think that counts as much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Monaghan posted:

Just lol at saying that firing franken helped anything. Kavanaugh got confirmed and when there's credible accounts of trump sexually assaulting people, the democrats just shrug. If you want to say on principal franken should have been fired/resigned fine but don't try to pretend it did anything for the democrats.

I mean I guess it shows that they'll be harsh on their own members but do jack poo poo when the accusations are against republicans.

I think firing Franken may have been enough to get the small edge over Roy Moore required for Doug Jones to win. And his win was a material good which resulted in SCHIP being renewed, he's better than Manchin or Sinema.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Monaghan posted:

The reason it was fine to get rid of Franken was because it's a safe D seat and Tina Smith is no worse than he was.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because its his kid. while i probably think he is a sexpest(like all morality types) i don't think that counts as much.

I don't think I will ever get over Ted Cruz's poor daughter having the same visceral, instinctual reaction to him that every other decent human being does :allears:

I hope she grows up to be a progressive just to spite him, and then becomes President

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

lede :actually:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Conservative men are pretending to be conservative women to gas light themselves into believing that their lovely politics aren't the root cause of their loneliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Why the gently caress is this country ok with this stuff? It is literally on camera.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

:thejoke: