Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
marauder also means pirate. it's not specific to a team of murderous clones + sabertooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

In general it does feel a bit like that in recent years. Kind of picking a few out of a hat for each book. One thing I notice is across the line, you do have the entire nostalgic X-Men TAS era line-up, scattered around. Plus the 80s favs Pryde and Colossus, just missing Nightcrawler. I wonder what's with the Marvel Girl thing. Not to make fun of older readers by any means, it's just interesting that you'd have to be about 65 to have read the new issues with that look. And not as timeless as some oldschool designs, seemed retro in it's appearances in the 70s.

Happy to give these a try, though the main book doesn't initially give off the vibe of being a smash hit. But that's just speculation. I think part of what made Hickman's Fantastic Four so good was that it was so true to it. Mixing up the status quo and whatnot is great, but the backbone of these books should be that it's the ongoing story of these people living their lives. Since that's considered what was so special and revolutionary about these comics at their peak. That and the imaginative adventures, allegories and whatnot along the way.

It feels like a lot of X-Men books have been mission books in recent years. I don't think that's what a main X-book should be though. Seeing a bunch of gloomy looking dudes on the moon doesn't scream that Hickman has nailed it here. Why are they on a boat in Duggan's book. I love One Piece, don't get me wrong, but you travel really fast in a sci-fi vehicle, you don't even touch the water, it does not make sense folks. And speaking of One Piece, I'm fine with Luffy getting new powers, but I hope Wolverine's Hot Claws are quietly retired some time soon. It'd be like giving Batman acid spit or something. Yes I know that sounds cool.

Sure this is a long post, I'm not the writer here Hickman, you're supposed to be the writer. He reads this right.

i feel it helps to read this post in the voice of Neil Hamburger

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alaois posted:

i feel it helps to read this post in the voice of Neil Hamburger

WHY... is Pyro... disgraced mutant Pyro... on a boat? Well the living flame was not needed at Burger King. Yeah.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Hickman has given us some interesting answers at his spotlight panel. It's worth reading everything but here are a few excerpts:

quote:

Hickman said with FF he learned he can only do nostalgia stories for so long and everyone knows what you're going to do. "The thing we're doing is delivering something new that makes you feel like it's old. I'm extremely satisfied with the results, and I hope everyone will enjoy it on Wednesday. If not, I'll be fired. That's okay. [laughs]"

quote:

Hickman: My only rule for the vast majority of X-stuff is there's no real need to create new characters when you have 100s that are not being serviced in a way that makes everyone happy. My mandate, my idea behind what we are doing is that we go back and fix what's broken, tell forward-looking stories about a lot of characters- many which you haven't seen in awhile

quote:

Hickman: We recognize it's been a difficult time for X-Men fans for a prolonged period of time. We want to give you a bunch of wins now. The first bit of it is super upbeat, then there has to be conflict. The second piece is my favorite stuff, where... I'm not going to tell you. If that is successful, there's no telling how long that will be the status quo.

https://www.newsarama.com/46199-sdcc-2019-jonathan-hickman-s-x-men-q-a-free-for-all.html

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Certainly not wrong about the number of characters thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
God my expectations are becoming hard to be tempered.

I am late to Mondo chat but it actually a nice bit of trickery that he was the Generation X member in Age of Apocalypse who we knew nothing about but was maybe the least cynical, pure intentioned member of the team, and died a fairly heroic death…only to end up being a heartless traitor multiple times over in the actual 616. Or a clone of him or whatever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My hype is increasing a bit after catching up here, like that big image saying every X-Men character will be around in the main book. That's cool. Hopefully this Hickman era goes well, and if there are missteps they get to stick with it and adjust things.

Random question, any thoughts on Fraction's X-Men run? I know the Greg Land art is awful, this was badass Cyclops era though at least. Though pre-Gillen. Probably skippable? The status quo sounded interesting, though I also see a bunch of events go through it, like Dark Reign. I assume that will still be a hurdle in Hickman's upcoming run.

A lot of little runs also aren't talked about much, like Aaron's Amazing X-Men (also has a boat on the cover), and X-Men volume 4. I did like the first issues of that, some touching Wolverine/Jubilee stuff, I checked out with the Atom battle thingy though.

Maybe a more general question, any X-books post Carey and Second Coming that you dig? I know the Domino and Gambit/Rogue books have good buzz, I still need to check those out. I did enjoy Gillen's run, though AvX was of course dumb, while fun at first. And I still need to read Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Good ol' comics backlog.

One more thought, what do you think of Kid Cable? Since he's featured on two covers. I just read some interview with Brisson, how young Cable killed old Cable for being "too soft" on time stuff. I gather he brought back Cyclops, but killing ol' Cable is odd. I guess we'll give this character the benefit of the doubt under a new writer. Still, gotta be one of the stranger pieces of recent baggage. And dare I ask what's going on in Major X, which seems to have old Cable?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 22, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
never ask what is going on in major x. it's purestrain liefeld, for better or worse.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Random question, any thoughts on Fraction's X-Men run?
there are a few aspects I like. I love X-club. I liked the dark avengers crossover. It was just very wordy and seemed to go nowhere.

I like the IDEA of utopia but as long as it exists in mainline marvel it will be attacked almost weekly in the comics and seems like an idea doomed to failure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
X-Men Red was a really good Post Gillen X book, (so of course it was poo poo canned 12 issues in).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fritzler posted:

there are a few aspects I like. I love X-club.
I'll put my science into you! I'LL PUT ALL MY SCIENCE INTO YOU!
I have no idea what I'm saying.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
I'm exicited for these new books! They look pretty great!

Unlike the kinda trash rear end X-Men comics by Rosenberg.

I don't even think I'm gonna bother reading the 3 issues I still have unread...

Age of X-Man was a pretty unique story and I thought it ended pretty well... I wonder if any body will remember what happened during it...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Principal Hellmann posted:

I'm exicited for these new books! They look pretty great!

Unlike the kinda trash rear end X-Men comics by Rosenberg.

I don't even think I'm gonna bother reading the 3 issues I still have unread...

Age of X-Man was a pretty unique story and I thought it ended pretty well... I wonder if any body will remember what happened during it...

I think it's been said that everybody remembers what happened to them during Age of X-Man (I think it's kinda necessary to remember it for Apocalypse to be on a good guy team).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought Fraction's run had a some nice ideas but it somehow drove me from Cyclops still being one of my favorite characters to one of my most hated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fritzler posted:

there are a few aspects I like. I love X-club. I liked the dark avengers crossover. It was just very wordy and seemed to go nowhere.

I like the IDEA of utopia but as long as it exists in mainline marvel it will be attacked almost weekly in the comics and seems like an idea doomed to failure.

that's true of literally anywhere the x-men live.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Remenders' X-Force is the one that gets all the attention and praise but to me it's Si Spurrier's X-Force that is the absolute must- read of the series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still have a soft spot for the Loeb/Pollina X-Force run.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I hope Blob retains the character growth from X-Man, sensitive Blob is a wonderful character.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's true of literally anywhere the x-men live.

No I agree. It’s just dumb to call it Utopia and act like it’s a safe place for mutant kind. It won’t ever be. Fraction constantly acts like Cyclops is super intelligent and has great plans but seems to ignore this giant flaw in the plan. (Also day this as a huge cyclops fan).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hopeless' Cable and X-Force was quite good. I never thought I'd like Domino so much.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gillen's uncanny run is the most I've ever liked Cyclops (especially as the intelligent leader who happens to also shoot lasers from his eyes) and Sinister and them eternally hating each other.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Hopeless' Cable and X-Force was quite good. I never thought I'd like Domino so much.

According to Hopeless' interview with Jay & Miles, neither did he. :v: He said she was essentially foisted upon him by editorial against his wishes because they wanted more than just Cable on the team for continuity with the X-Force name. Now he's written a Secret Wars tie-in focused around her and Colossus plus a story in her Annual from last year.

Sometimes editorial mandate is good!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool, I'll put those X-Force series on the list. I do like how the art in those sometimes looks like a 2000AD comic. Having a 2000AD writer like Spurrier is also a bonus. I think I'll check out issue 500 and whatnot of Fraction's X run too for fun.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Cool, I'll put those X-Force series on the list. I do like how the art in those sometimes looks like a 2000AD comic. Having a 2000AD writer like Spurrier is also a bonus. I think I'll check out issue 500 and whatnot of Fraction's X run too for fun.

Spurrier's version of X-Force is very 2000AD, being essentially a commentary on the nature of "black ops" and how far they can go while still being rooted for and perceived as "the good guys" because of how their actions are framed.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"

Skwirl posted:

I think it's been said that everybody remembers what happened to them during Age of X-Man (I think it's kinda necessary to remember it for Apocalypse to be on a good guy team).

That's great!

I liked sensitive good guy Blob.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

According to Hopeless' interview with Jay & Miles, neither did he. :v: He said she was essentially foisted upon him by editorial against his wishes because they wanted more than just Cable on the team for continuity with the X-Force name. Now he's written a Secret Wars tie-in focused around her and Colossus plus a story in her Annual from last year.

Sometimes editorial mandate is good!

Very cool. He certainly didn't write her like editorial mandate, even in the beginning. And Inferno was pretty baller.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
https://twitter.com/graemem/status/1153456523844055041?s=20

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Oh I loving hate this question.

Yes, actually, people can and do live in hardcore denial about all sorts of poo poo well into their thirties (and longer!).

Edit: Good response from Hickman, though.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 23, 2019

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
For real gently caress that attitude. I'm 35 soon to be 36 and I've only this year became comfortable admitting to myself I'm bisexual and even then I've only come out to one person. Shits complicated.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
What happened in Heroes in Crisis 8?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can someone fill me in on what Heroes In Crisis #8 is about? I read nothing DC.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nothing related. It's a stupid answer to a stupid question. Hickman has a very dry sense of humor.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It was a controversial comic and effectively a joke answer, partially because its creators (Tom King and Mitch Gerads) had a panel the day before Hickman's that spent a lot of time lamenting how much everyone hated that issue and how gently caress you, actually it was very good.

quote:

People loving hated it so much. I’d never written something everyone hated, so that was a new experience. I loved [Heroes in Crisis]. The art is beautiful and I got across the message that I wanted to get across which is that we’re all suffering and none of us are alone.

quote:

If someone says that they hate something, it means that someone else loves it. When bad things happen to characters, it’s earned, in a way.
Though I guess it was a time travel story that didn't really make any sense at its core, so I guess it might have been on-topic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

If someone says that they hate something, it means that someone else loves it

Uh, what?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Love and hate exist in homeostasis duh everyone knows that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Edge & Christian posted:

It was a controversial comic and effectively a joke answer, partially because its creators (Tom King and Mitch Gerads) had a panel the day before Hickman's that spent a lot of time lamenting how much everyone hated that issue and how gently caress you, actually it was very good.

Though I guess it was a time travel story that didn't really make any sense at its core, so I guess it might have been on-topic.

I thought that part of the joke was how Heroes in Crisis was originally scheduled as a seven issue series. (They added an extra issue in the end.)
So it was like saying “The answer to this story beat will be in a comic that doesn’t come out.”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heroes in Crisis went 9 issues.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

X-O posted:

Uh, what?
This is a pretty common refrain for people who create things everyone hates, and Tom King has really leaned hard on it in the past few months.

quote:

Mister Miracle went through hell, but now everybody knows who Mister Miracle is, right? Same with Vision, I put him through hell. I had him almost turn into absolute evil, but it elevated that character a little bit, and now they're doing the TV show which, you know, had something to do with my stuff. So, hopefully people will see at the end of the day, we're doing the same thing with Wally. Wally hasn't had a successful solo comic since, when? 2003? What I'm saying is, the idea behind this is to elevate that character. Everyone is now talking about Wally. Everyone wants to see where Wally goes next. Everyone wants Wally to get the attention that that character deserves.
"People care and people are talking about it, I must be doing something right!"

The Question IRL posted:

I thought that part of the joke was how Heroes in Crisis was originally scheduled as a seven issue series. (They added an extra issue in the end.)
So it was like saying “The answer to this story beat will be in a comic that doesn’t come out.”
It went from six to seven to nine, if I recall.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Scoops_Troop/status/1153003280588574722?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope the covers just get increasingly dysfunctional.

Get Emma, Psylocke, Stryfe, Madeline, X-23...

Edit: Also Logan is so out of place in that team that his art doesn't even match.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 23, 2019