Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kilometers Davis posted:

something arrived at my local guitar store

You should get them in touch with this guy because he buys and makes videos about every oddball Gibson he can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjkriVzu6rY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It'd be interesting to put a Squier Classic Vibe or something similar in the hands of a good luthier and see what comes out. And how much it'd cost to make it feel "great". Sure, the value of it would still be low but if you're looking to create a really nice player perhaps it'd be worth it?

I have a Mexican Strat that was worked over by a Bulgarian luthier (turned into an Yngwie strat basically) and it's an insanely comfortable guitar that's just smooth all over, fret ends just perfect, tuners like butter... feels more refined than my PRS Custom 22.

TBH all you need is a little adjustment of string height/neck bow and most guitars feel like rock and roll champions. If you wanna get real fancy you can maybe go over any odd frets but some simple adjustments go a long way.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also switching out the lovely stock plastic nut for something half decent like tusq that's cut properly

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Say what you want about cheap vs more expensive guitars, but the more expensive Fenders all seem to have this feel that is so smooth. I've tried figuring it out and I just can't.

I think they sand them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

something arrived at my local guitar store

Ah, the legendary Nastar.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just to show how much stupid music fun I've been having practicing the Robben Ford TrueFire courses (just my PC, THR-10, in front my my TV with my MIM Tele) I took a pic to show you how simple it is to amuse me.

The THR actually sits turned the other way, but I turned it around for the photo. Orange THR, orange everywhere.

The PC glass hasn't been cleaned in forever so it's all filthy, but like I've said in the amp/guitar threads, I am really having a blast with this (and learning a lot.)

It's this Tele:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't know you rocked a THR too, Faustus! Gimme some. :hfive:

We should probably get a THR/Bedroom amp Gang-tag or something at this point.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Didn't know you rocked a THR too, Faustus! Gimme some. :hfive:

We should probably get a THR/Bedroom amp Gang-tag or something at this point.
That would be awesome!

What people don't realize is just how well the THR takes pedals. It LOVES pedals.

And I was a moron for not using the the THR PC Editor, but that part is fixed, now.

I *love* my THR.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
The THR amps are fantastic. I wish they would make a version that had an effects loop and let you change between presets via footswitch. I know they have the THR100HD, but from what I understand, that only lets you footswitch between "amps" 1 and 2 and not between the different presets.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 22, 2019

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Dr. Faustus posted:

And I was a moron for not using the the THR PC Editor, but that part is fixed, now.
I have a THR 10C and I have never used the PC editor, in fact I don’t know that I was previously aware that was a thing. Please elaborate!

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

gently caress Your Website posted:

I have a THR 10C and I have never used the PC editor, in fact I don’t know that I was previously aware that was a thing. Please elaborate!

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/57648_en.html

Connect your THR10C to your PC via USB and then you can use this editor to edit/save/load presets on to your amp - there are a number of features and parameters that you are only able to access using the program.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That USB connection is useful.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gently caress Your Website posted:

Suffice to say you can make presets for your amp that you cannot dial in with the knobs. You can set parameters independently in the software where you would have to mix things with the panel controls. And the THR-10 has a compressor (which is great for the lessons I am doing) but you'd never know it looking at the amp.

Seriously, get the drivers and the software, hook it up to you PC, and you basically unlock secret poo poo. Good poo poo. Don't wait, do it!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Basically, the THR Editor unleashed the inner Page Hamilton I didn't know resided within me. I've seen multiple gear interviews with Hamilton and he keeps alluding to a gear technique called "sculpting the poo poo/bullshit" out of his tone. Now, here's the thing: While not as strait-jacket insane as the amount of customization that's afforded to you with the Kemper, Fractal or Line6 editor apps, but the options allowed to you via fine-tuning what's in there is just straight up great.

Like, at the end of the day, I still have only these "eight amp" options available.

See that "AMP" knob to the left? Those "eight" amp models are all you have. Of course, different versions of the THR have different amps (I have the THR10X, which is more metal-oriented) but aside from the 5 options to the left side of the knob changing, that's all you get. The possibilities opened by the THR Editor quickly transform the amount of tone tightening you can get to a pretty drat great degree.

So yeah, take Doc's advice into account and download them softwares, buddy. Totally worth it. :)

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Question for THR owners: how well does it take a Big Muff style fuzz, and how bonkers can the built in delay? A shoegaze fan needs answers.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sadsack posted:

Question for THR owners: how well does it take a Big Muff style fuzz, and how bonkers can the built in delay? A shoegaze fan needs answers.
The built-in delay and reverb will get you satisfied, but again: Use the THR Editor to dial that bad boy just the way you want it in order to make the silkiest smooth tones or the most chillingly haunting calls to awaken deities of unpronounceable names from beyond the veil. And yes, it takes ALL kinds of pedals very well, from Multi FX to stompboxes. It's a little ridiculous just how well it does it. Like half the time I use a very simple setup of Guitar -> Digitech Drop -> THR10X and I can work on demos without switching to the 7-string. There's a pedal made by a goon called the Major Tom and that thing just... blew my mind when combined with the THR. Love that little bedroom monster.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How well will a THR handle a bass? I'm thinking of getting one, but I really want a practice about that sounds decent with both bass and guitar, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BonHair posted:

How well will a THR handle a bass? I'm thinking of getting one, but I really want a practice about that sounds decent with both bass and guitar, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

I don't have a real bass amp to compare it to, but I bought my THR specifically to have something that does both guitar and bass. The bass setting is relatively weak compared to the guitar amps, but it gets the job done. I have yet to turn it all the way up because I'm superstitious about blowing out the speakers, but it's a perfectly acceptable practice amp.

My only problem with the THR is that you need to use the editor to get a usable reverb sound. The "natural" reverb you get with just the knobs is way too boomy and takes too long to die off IMO.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
apparently etsy just bought reverb

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

It's kinda sterile, on its own? But again, part of the magic of the THR is that it makes for a pretty good amp to use as a pedal platform, so if you already have a pedal, it'll work just fine. I have a 4-string yamaha that I run with a EHX Bass Balls and it fucks me up how good I can do recordings with it. :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

I don't know if that's good or bad.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay. You win. I already love the amp but I’m going to try to embrace my THR10X as a recording device again. I don’t like modeling and haven’t forked over the cash to get my amp head into my interface yet but I really need to start compiling some of these song ideas into a DAW where I can see and hear everything together.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I bought the Boss Katana Air for my "mini amp". It sounds great, but it;s software sucks. Now you guys are making think about selling it buying a THR

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You guys know the tones I like: do you think the THR would better suit me for a decent jam rig, or should I keep looking at the katana?

(I'm not going to get either any time soon cause I'm now broke after buying that jazzmaster. Also it's not something I really need right now)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

You guys know the tones I like: do you think the THR would better suit me for a decent jam rig, or should I keep looking at the katana?

(I'm not going to get either any time soon cause I'm now broke after buying that jazzmaster. Also it's not something I really need right now)
For practicing I am sure you would love the 10X (but IMHO you just need the standard THR-10 because it takes pedals so very very well) but when you say "jam rig" there's no way it works in a live ensemble context unless you can output it to a PA (Which I know you can, just by using the headphone output if that's all you want to do).

I've spent time with all three (standard, X, and C) and I know the standard can get into melt your face off territory with a good boost/drive/distortion in front it. I sometimes wonder if the X an C are somehow more limited since they are geared towards certain amps that kinda leave out the middle ground, which is where I think the real money is. Then again, I've listened to your SC stuff and yeah you like it heavy. You could do that with a THR-10 but I suspect you'd be quicker out of the gate with a 10X.

That's just my $0.02.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

For practicing I am sure you would love the 10X (but IMHO you just need the standard THR-10 because it takes pedals so very very well) but when you say "jam rig" there's no way it works in a live ensemble context unless you can output it to a PA (Which I know you can, just by using the headphone output if that's all you want to do).

I've spent time with all three (standard, X, and C) and I know the standard can get into melt your face off territory with a good boost/drive/distortion in front it. I sometimes wonder if the X an C are somehow more limited since they are geared towards certain amps that kinda leave out the middle ground, which is where I think the real money is. Then again, I've listened to your SC stuff and yeah you like it heavy. You could do that with a THR-10 but I suspect you'd be quicker out of the gate with a 10X.

That's just my $0.02.

Hmm the standard may be up my alley since I can use my old favorite of TS808 into the Bogner Uberschall into the front of the amp or even bust out the HM2. But I would pair it with a 2x12 cab and that should be enough to play over a drum kit. Right?

Also I noticed something weird on my JCM800 yesterday that I didn't quite test out fully: the volume would intermittently drop out for a bit then come back in. I thought it was the input jack on the JM but it persisted after I checked the contacts/connection inside. However that issue never comes up when playing through the interface so it's something with the amp/pedals. It could be that my pedalboard power supply is dying, or that something is going wrong with the amp. I'm going to test it out later by plugging straight into the amp with a different guitar and see what happens. If nothing then it's something on my pedal board. If it keeps happening then it could be my amp, either internally or maybe that I have too many things plugged into the same outlet cause I have the amp plugged into the same power conditioner that also is connected to my TV, computer, monitors, etc.

Stupid music poo poo is trouble shooting vintage amp problems.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Spanish Manlove posted:

Once you get your 10x please share your dialed in settings :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

Once you get your 10x please share your dialed in settings :)

Based on what I do to every amp, I'm gonna start with:

Gain max
Low max
Mid about 1:30
High max
Presence 1:30
Resonance 11:00
Volume turned to a level that doesn't hurt

Then adjust low/high depending on whether it's too boomy/fizzly. In weird cases the mid knob can be turned down slightly.

Also this assumes that there's a TS9 or TS808 like pedal out front set to G:min T:(somewhere between 11:00 and 1:00) V:max. And also turning up the gain on the pedal if some more saturation is needed.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hmm the standard may be up my alley since I can use my old favorite of TS808 into the Bogner Uberschall into the front of the amp or even bust out the HM2. But I would pair it with a 2x12 cab and that should be enough to play over a drum kit. Right?

Also I noticed something weird on my JCM800 yesterday that I didn't quite test out fully: the volume would intermittently drop out for a bit then come back in. I thought it was the input jack on the JM but it persisted after I checked the contacts/connection inside. However that issue never comes up when playing through the interface so it's something with the amp/pedals. It could be that my pedalboard power supply is dying, or that something is going wrong with the amp. I'm going to test it out later by plugging straight into the amp with a different guitar and see what happens. If nothing then it's something on my pedal board. If it keeps happening then it could be my amp, either internally or maybe that I have too many things plugged into the same outlet cause I have the amp plugged into the same power conditioner that also is connected to my TV, computer, monitors, etc.

Stupid music poo poo is trouble shooting vintage amp problems.
The THR-10 is strictly a stereo pair of 8cm speakers with a bass wave-guide channel (like Bose) that makes it sound very loud for what it is. To get the output to a cab I am pretty sure you would need a powered cab that accepts a line in (the headphone out on the THR is a 1/4" stereo plug, so that's your only output.)

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am looking at mine and it has no speaker outs, just the headphone out. It does have a cool 1/8" aux in for plugging in your phone/etc. to play along with, and I've paired that with "Amazing Slow-downer" app to figure out some fast runs.

Of you could mic it up somewhere, but I'm not sure what a good mic placement would be.

...or use the USB out and go through a PC/laptop.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 22, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

The THR-10 is strictly a stereo pair of 8cm speakers with a bass wave-guide channel (like Bose) that makes it sound very loud for what it is. To get the output to a cab I am pretty sure you would need a powered cab that accepts a line in (the headphone out on the THR is a 1/4" stereo plug, so that's your only output.)

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am looking at mine and it has no speaker outs, just the headphone out. It does have a cool 1/8" aux in for plugging in your phone/etc. to play along with, and I've paired that with "Amazing Slow-downer" app to figure out some fast runs.

Of you could mic it up somewhere, but I'm not sure what a good mic placement would be.

...or use the USB out and go through a PC/laptop.

Oh rip, that's not gonna work for what I want. I'd have to run it to a power amp then to the cab. I may as well just do that with BiasAmp on my laptop lol

So is it a blade speaker not a cone? I think you mic that like a cone speaker: in the middle and on axis. I kinda want to ask at work about that since we have some for doing acoustic trauma research.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Google says there is an external speaker out mod! I had no idea.

It has a stereo pair of 8cm speakers for the mids/highs. Not sure how it provides all this bass but I assume it's a wave-channel deal, or possibly two of them.

Is this stupid music poo poo?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 22, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Huh!

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Thanks guys, I’m definitely going to download that and start loving with the parameters of my amp as I’ve found doing the same with my Zoom MS50G (https://g200kg.github.io/zoom-ms-utility/) infinitely more rewarding than making patches on the pedal itself, and my eventual plan is for the two together to be my go-to practice rig.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think he shoulda stopped at some moment before step 1.

But truly, this is basically the thread title incarnate.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't know if that's good or bad.

Is reverb flooded with Chinese wholesale outfits pretending to be boutique gear? If not, it will be.

Also I think they walked this one back and it's less a thing for selling used stuff than for makers but etsy tried "curated sellers" which amounted to "we'll put your goods in storefronts, take a cut and completely hide who made it from the buyer" which pissed people off who are trying to grow their brand.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I'm pretty sure someone in this story is stupid, it may be me, but anyways...

So, my band had one festival gig this summer due to planning mix-ups and everyone being busy people and responsible parents in the summer.

Still, a really cool festival we had heard lots of good stuff about, so we were stoked.

We went to the festival, had an amazing time, were treated really well... The first downer was that we were moved from the cool small stage to a giant behemoth stage (by our standards, we're used to playing pubs and basements). We're a pretty unknown band who don't have any pull outside our home regions yet, so I was pretty miffed about it and also I hate playing impersonal stages where I'm 5 feet above everyone. The festival staff didn't really want the stage in the first place, but it was a requirement in the rider of the main act, who cancelled due to illness the week before the festival. So you had kind of a weird situation going where some of the biggest names with the most pull refused to play the "main" stage, so we (as one of the least known acts) were suddenly switched from the small to the big stage to avoid complications.

Still, we had a lot of friends and some new fans there, we had amazing monitoring and the weather was great. Then, at our last song, I did as I often do and threw my mic/stand into the audience so they could sing along to the song it was most likely they knew the chorus to...

After the set, the sound/stage guy came up to me and told me he'd bill me for the mic. I picked it up, it looked completely unharmed. He was frothing and telling me he couldn't use a mic EVER again that had been on the ground (it was a shure SM58 or BETA58a. You can literally run over it with a car and still use it).

So, now I got a bill for a mic and stand in my band's inbox, titled "you break, you buy". The sound tech wants us to pay a price for the mics that is HIGHER than what I've ever seen a similar mic go for brand new in any shop. Plus VAT. Also, he didn't give me the mic, and is probably still using the drat thing.

I've forwarded the bill to the festival promoter and have talked to them. Hopefully I won't have to pay the bill. Sure, if he had given me the mic after the gig I would have a great and pristine mic that you can never get enough of (and mic stands are always good to have extras of), but there's no mic in my possession, just a lovely verbal explanation by the sound tech that any microphones that fall to the ground are considered as destroyed.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, if you do end up paying for it, I'd demand the old one at the very least. Kind of understandable some dude spent coin on something and saw it tossed.. I'd be a bit miffed also.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBjl0tNVCno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

To be fair, tossing another guy's equipment into the crowd is a lovely move, but if it still works he shouldn't be a dick about it and try and bill you for it.