Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm real close to explaining that a solid liberal arts education is important to developing well rounded people. Which means people who aren't like him.

Also there's more to life than being some replaceable cog in a rich guy's machine.

I like this perpetual myth that the field of study of your undergraduate degree dictates what you do for a living. Other than a few specific (and in many cases, regulated) disciplines like medicine, engineering, and law, nobody cares what you spent your late teens/early 20s learning about for 6 months out of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Casimir Radon posted:

STEM is not the end all be all of existence, and pounding it into kids heads that it is has had bad consequences such as:
1. Exacerbating the arrogance of some in those fields.
2. Downplaying important human factors.
3. Pushing kids through engineering programs they're not suited to, and producing a shitload of poor to mediocre engineers.

While I understand it’s not the be-all-end-all, the goal of my thought was to funnel people into professions that serve a societal benefit: scientists, doctors, teachers, etc.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This is the desired effect

And IT. Capital loves all the benefits it has gained from IT automation as a relatively new phenomenon, but it had all these pesky high-cost employees when it was new and no established labor pool. Still profitable to do even then as everyone can see but crushing labor and knee-capping the value of employees is kinda what the system does.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

While I understand it’s not the be-all-end-all, the goal of my thought was to funnel people into professions that serve a societal benefit: scientists, doctors, teachers, etc.

Social workers, diplomats, journalists, writers, and entertainers all serve a societal benefit and typically pull from social sciences or humanities. Beyond that, having people with a diverse set of experience and educational backgrounds contributes to a more well-rounded society as a whole.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

colachute posted:

You can be an engineer or a doctor and be a complete drag on society.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

facialimpediment posted:

I think this is a look into the dystopian future.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1153339232041091079?s=19

Gigantic protests, presented with back-forth gif loops as the visual format.

Wow look at all those trump supporters, PR loves trump!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1153354290058207233?s=19

The military strategist has logged on

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I hope that’s his granddaughter and it’s just a quick peck.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
It's amazing watching people getting the vapors about a man kissing his granddaughter.

To spell it out, it's not the same thing as getting cozy with a stranger who isn't consenting to your touch.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SimonCat posted:

It's amazing watching people getting the vapors about a man kissing his granddaughter.

To spell it out, it's not the same thing as getting cozy with a stranger who isn't consenting to your touch.

It’s the appearance of the kiss being on the lips that’s weird.

The angle is bad though so it might not have been.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 22, 2019

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Kiss your (grand)dad square on the lips

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Casimir Radon posted:

Also there's more to life than being some replaceable cog in a rich guy's machine.

Someone needs to yank the rope on the guillotine

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SimonCat posted:

its weird as gently caress dude

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

its weird as gently caress dude

Is it less weird than saying youd be dating your daughter if you weren't related?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is it less weird than saying youd be dating your daughter if you weren't related?

i don't want either of them in any position of authority, and luckily that won't be the choice, because biden has not united the smokey back-rooms behind him, and the more he's in the public eye, the worse his favorables become

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

colachute posted:

Re: education chat: If the government just wanted to give free/cheap higher ed in certain fields (STEM and most liberal arts), I would be really cool with that. These fields can allow for the betterment of society (scientists, doctors, engineers, teachers, etc) and I think that’s justification to publicly fund it.

Where the line gets drawn at which degrees to fund will always be up for debate and will likely shift a lot (do we really need to fund degrees in Bakery Science?), but I think it would be a good start and a huge step in the right direction. And that’s an argument I’d much rather be having. Somehow the state would gently caress it up and fund the programs required with the bare minimum, but allocate all other resources to the programs that make them money.

What obvious issue am I overlooking with this?

We can easily afford to simply pay for everyone's post-HS education. There's no need to numbers fuckenstein it.

That said we should ALSO institute reforms that make it so HR departments aren't requiring 4 year degrees for jobs you can do with a high school diploma, that vocational training is seen as just as valid a choice, and to put cost controls on colleges that keep building fancy new gym facilities and hiring more admin staff. But there's no need to restrict which majors are free.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

STEM is not the end all be all of existence, and pounding it into kids heads that it is has had bad consequences such as:
1. Exacerbating the arrogance of some in those fields.
2. Downplaying important human factors.
3. Pushing kids through engineering programs they're not suited to, and producing a shitload of poor to mediocre engineers.

4. A huge lack of critical thinking in ostensibly educated fields.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"Biden 2020: Somewhat less creepy about blood relatives than Trump!"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We absolutely won't be reducing the number of positions that previously required a high school diploma but now require a bachelors. High school education is a total loving joke now and while I'm not exactly claiming that another 4 years magically fixes it, if we're going to somehow mandate/encourage HS level education for more jobs you're gonna have to do some serious education overhaul in the process. Plus you'll get plenty of pushback since it's also a class thing, but that has largely shifted to 'needs a graduate degree for the good white collar jobs'.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Vasudus posted:

We absolutely won't be reducing the number of positions that previously required a high school diploma but now require a bachelors. High school education is a total loving joke now and while I'm not exactly claiming that another 4 years magically fixes it, if we're going to somehow mandate/encourage HS level education for more jobs you're gonna have to do some serious education overhaul in the process. Plus you'll get plenty of pushback since it's also a class thing, but that has largely shifted to 'needs a graduate degree for the good white collar jobs'.

Yes. Exactly this. Better than throwing up our hands and just admitting that we're gonna waste 4 years of every single member of the workforce's lives.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
increase the number of jobs requiring a high school diploma by increasing the size of our military, bing bong so simple

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Tryzzub posted:

increase the number of jobs requiring a high school diploma by increasing the size of our military, bing bong so simple

And then train 90% of them on how to do green energy infrastructure and project support. Works for me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My mom is/has been a grade/high school teacher for most of her life and hearing her talk about it the municipalities around here treat it like mandatory daycare until the kids turn 18.

And going to college myself, it is also a joke.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would be overjoyed if we actually switched to a vocational college (with apprenticeships) / university system because it would solve so many issues related to post-secondary education. It's absolutely stupid how the divide exists now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tryzzub posted:

They should've broken out the green new deal into stuff like "green WPA" and so on. Then again republicans would unironically come back with "how dare they suggest we rebuild crumbling infrastructure!"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Learn to weld

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I know I'm speaking from my white collar, beltway bubble over here but we don't hire people with just HS diplomas. Period. The person that runs the front office at reception on every floor? That person has a four year degree.

And on the consulting side, people with only a bachelors are lower labor that *for most fields* will top out at what someone with a graduate degree comes in at often enough. It's pretty crazy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Tryzzub posted:

Let's knock it off with this "bing bong so simple" horseshit.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

There are a variety of jobs that currently require too much or too little training. Cops and prison guards should probably require a lot more education (and practical hands on during the training, a la apprenticeship models).

Conversely, I'm deeply skeptical that doctors and lawyers need to spend 4 years doing prelaw or premed before they're allowed to actually go to school for it. And the vast majority of jobs that chiefly involve handling paperwork/data don't require a four year degree, IMO.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

One thing I’ve learned is that you can get by in most careers without college since most of it is on the job training anyway. It’s all about being credentialed rather than qualified, which I’m sure helps weed out people who are unqualified but conversely locks out people who definitely are qualified.

E: my step dad uses my military service as a talking point against increasing tax payer funded education. Since I had to join up for college, that’s how anyone who wants free college should do it.

He graduated from the University of Florida in 1971. Tuition has increased by 160% since then, after you adjust for inflation.

colachute fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 22, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I know I'm speaking from my white collar, beltway bubble over here but we don't hire people with just HS diplomas. Period. The person that runs the front office at reception on every floor? That person has a four year degree.

And on the consulting side, people with only a bachelors are lower labor that *for most fields* will top out at what someone with a graduate degree comes in at often enough. It's pretty crazy.

IT (specifically the infrastructure and security side, not software/hardware development) is fairly agnostic WRT having a post-secondary degree. A lot of HR departments at bigger companies may require it, but it's typically optional and nobody really cares what your degree is in if you do have one.

e: At best it would probably let you skip a couple of years of the standard Helpdesk -> Desktop career pipeline checkboxes and slide into a very junior network or systems administrator role, but even then like 80% of that is OJT.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 22, 2019

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Vasudus posted:

That's not uncommon. Locally, national labs hire BS' as technicians, mainly. Intel is the same, you want to be an actual engineer you need a PhD.

It's not GOOD though, is what I'm saying. We're definitely trending towards "any job that doesn't suck requires a 4 year degree" territory, and I would just like to point out that wastes roughly 34 million man years of productive labor in the US every year (8.5 million young people join the work force yearly)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

IT (specifically the infrastructure and security side, not software/hardware development) is fairly agnostic WRT having a post-secondary degree. A lot of HR departments at bigger companies may require it, but it's typically optional and nobody really cares what your degree is in if you do have one.

IT, well, programming has a lot of gatekeeping though. You need work experience or a degree and often you can't get work experience without a degree. Once you get a few years under your belt at the first job you're typically fine though, at least for getting through initial screens.

Crakkerjakk posted:

That's not uncommon. Locally, national labs hire BS' as technicians, mainly. Intel is the same, you want to be an actual engineer you need a PhD.

It's not GOOD though, is what I'm saying. We're definitely trending towards "any job that doesn't suck requires a 4 year degree" territory, and I would just like to point out that wastes roughly 34 million man years of productive labor in the US every year (8.5 million young people join the work force yearly)

Ironically these positions pay less than those that do not strictly require a degree at a FAANG.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

its not a competition to be more creepy

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/22/if-others-have-rifles-well-have-rifles-why-leftist-groups-are-taking-up-arms

'The "AR" in AR-15 stands for "Antifa Rifle"' -Eugene Stoner

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Learn to weld

The blue collar learn to code meme

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Dream: I’m going to learn to weld!
Reality: reinforcing steel beams on the border wall in the desert on a 6 month non-union contract
Dream: I’m going to learn to code!
Reality: testing a java app that denies people healthcare 2% faster, get replaced by an H1B after a year

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Finally!

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1153384489835520000?s=19

quote:

Vice President Mike Pence was one short plane ride away from shaking hands with an alleged interstate drug dealer.
---
Among the problems was a federal law enforcement probe involving individuals Pence would likely encounter, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the incident. If Pence stepped off the vice presidential aircraft, one of the people he would have seen on the ground was under investigation by the Drug Enforcement Administration for moving more than $100,000 of fentanyl from Massachusetts to New Hampshire.

Jeff Hatch, who agreed in federal court Friday to plead guilty and will face up to four years in prison, works for an opioid addiction treatment center in southern New Hampshire that Pence was set to visit. A former New York Giants player, he has spoken publicly for years about his own challenge with drug and alcohol addiction, which ended his football career.
---
Federal court documents released Friday said Hatch was caught in 2017 with 1,500 grams of fentanyl. A baggie of the drug sold on the streets of New Hampshire is usually about one-tenth of a gram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
most of our labor and thus economic problems can be traced to the degradation of unions. the power is all firmly on the side of capital.