Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'll pick one up during the week as I've looked into them before and the big box hardware shops have 3M ones with the correct cartridges for not much money. The leveling thinner didn't have much in the way of smell though tbh certainly nowhere near as bad as the thinners we use to dilute wood lacquer where I work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yup, that's the one I usually use, but the store was sold out and I decided to take a risk.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning if the ultrasonic cleaner doesn't help.

Also I did manage to varnish my Enterprise before starting on priming of the other model, and it's looking pretty good.

Neat. That Aztec pattern looks really nice, is that made through decals or masking and painting?

At this point it would be easier to buy a bottle of a primer that works as expected, I just want to save my airbrush.

I think what Raskolnikov38 said is the best solution. I've done it for good results only I didn't remove the o-ring and it dissolved horribly. On the topic of primers, Vallejo are nice on the airbrush and Games Workshop sprays are really tough, I recommend them.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Is Tamiya White Surface Primer supposed to be airbrushable? I tried some, it clogged my airbrush like I've never seen before: thick sludge filling up every part of it, I managed to get the body more or less cleared (ruining my cleaning brushes in the process), the nozzle seems plugged up solid. I have everything sitting in an ultrasonic cleaner full of thinner right now, hopefully it clears up by morning.

Also I tried brushing it on. The result was awful, but the brush got stiff as a board almost instantly, and the brush cleaner I use that handles all other types of paint like a champ was helpless. What's going on? Is it always like this, or did I get a bad batch?

It's supposed to be but I had something similar happen. In my case everything was going great until the primer suddenly changed into a strange hairy dust like it was drying the instant it left the nozzle. Thankfully it didn't adhere well to the model like that and I was able to just brush or lightly sand it off.

It may only be good for spot treatments to fill small gaps. I'll certainly never try to airbrush it again.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Symetrique posted:

Iirc none of the Japanese primers are ready to spray out of the bottle. If you want something ready to use, just prime with stynylrez. The Japanese ones are good if you're already using mostly lacquer paints and have the required cleaners and thinners.

Try using isopropyl alcohol to clean the airbrush first. If that doesn't work use lacquer thinner or acetone. Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner should also cut right through it.

I'll second the Tamiya airbrush cleaner recommendation. I should add that I thinned the Tamiya primer with their lacquer thinner to the usual skim milk consistency I use and it was still a disaster for some reason.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Gewehr 43 posted:

The T-34/85 is finished! Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/i5ueIG4

Awesome. It's very interesting to compare the interior layout and features to the Panther I did recently.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I just noticed the large pegs and holes in the sponsons that give the upper hull a good fit while still being removable--that's a really nice feature for an interior kit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Sparq posted:

Neat. That Aztec pattern looks really nice, is that made through decals or masking and painting?

Decals, it would be really hard to paint all that with masks due to the curvature.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Frenz posted:

It's supposed to be but I had something similar happen. In my case everything was going great until the primer suddenly changed into a strange hairy dust like it was drying the instant it left the nozzle. Thankfully it didn't adhere well to the model like that and I was able to just brush or lightly sand it off.

It may only be good for spot treatments to fill small gaps. I'll certainly never try to airbrush it again.

there's one mr. color gray (338 i think) that forms hair wisps for me unless its like 90% thinner to paint

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like an overnight run in the ultrasonic cleaner did the trick. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was going to try the acetone, but I can't get the needle packing nut out, so that's a no go. Seems to work without it, though.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there's one mr. color gray (338 i think) that forms hair wisps for me unless its like 90% thinner to paint

Thanks. I may test this out since I have multiple bottles (why??) and I'd love to be able to use it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Frenz posted:

Thanks. I may test this out since I have multiple bottles (why??) and I'd love to be able to use it.

You can really thin down Mr Color without too many issues. I have a few bottles like 338 that are way too thick.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Symetrique posted:

Did you thin it?

That stuff is pretty thick. Try using Mr Leveling Thinner for some A+++ quality inhalants

Well, I'm the idiot. Thinned it with a lot of lacquer thinner and it went on fine. Well, fine enough for my second time with an airbrush. It's definitely a step up from spraycans, and I'm really looking forward to doing the actual painting. Thin more, and use the right thinner for the medium.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Easy mistake to make. Tamiya's surface primer is like the only readily available tamiya lacquer airbrush product.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Continuing on the subject, I'm looking to buy my first airbrush set. I've decided on the Patriot 105, but I'm clueless on a compressor. Recommendations?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Any chineseium one would be fine as long as it has a tank on it. If you're looking for something a bit better than that I have a Sparmax TC-610H and it's fantastic.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Is Tamiya White Surface Primer supposed to be airbrushable? I tried some, it clogged my airbrush like I've never seen before: thick sludge filling up every part of it, I managed to get the body more or less cleared (ruining my cleaning brushes in the process), the nozzle seems plugged up solid. I have everything sitting in an ultrasonic cleaner full of thinner right now, hopefully it clears up by morning.

Also I tried brushing it on. The result was awful, but the brush got stiff as a board almost instantly, and the brush cleaner I use that handles all other types of paint like a champ was helpless. What's going on? Is it always like this, or did I get a bad batch?

I got the same results when trying to thin it with IPA and water - it immediately congealed into almost a latex consistency. The trick to cleaning and thinning was lacquer thinner; I go 2:1 LT/TSP and it sprays really nice and cleans up even easier.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I recently bought a $100 Porter Cable pancake air compressor, added a pressure regulator, and am much happier with it than my previous Iwata or Chinesium compressor. I run it up to 120 PSI, shut off the compressor and tweak the regulator to what I need. I haven't done anything massive, but it's smooth, can be used for powering nailers, larger sprayers, and staplers. It is loud while it pumps up, but it only takes about 2 minutes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I've abused a Master TC-40T for years and it's still running strong. Definitely get something with a tank.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Definitely get something with a tank.

Meh. I feel it's largely a question of personal preference and application. My tankless Iwata Smart Jet Pro has served me well for 5˝ years. It's quiet, doesn't pulse air pressure like a lot of other tankless models, is 100% maintenance free, and puts out more than enough working air pressure for anything I'd need.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah i've got a ninja jet that tops at 15 psi and it's worked fine for me, just gotta learn to love silly putty for masking

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
A really good tankless iwata is going to be leagues better than what fell off a Chinese shipping container though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, but this is for a first airbrush kit. I don't doubt that a really nice Iwata compressor is, well, really nice. It'll also cost more, by itself, than an airbrush and compressor of reasonable make that'll last for years.

Worst case scenario is that BOGO has to buy a nicer model down the road, knowing more about what they like and don't like in their airbrushing hardware.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah dont buy a tankless chinese compressor.

Easily the thing I regret purchasing the most.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gewehr 43 posted:

Meh. I feel it's largely a question of personal preference and application. My tankless Iwata Smart Jet Pro has served me well for 5˝ years. It's quiet, doesn't pulse air pressure like a lot of other tankless models, is 100% maintenance free, and puts out more than enough working air pressure for anything I'd need.

Same. My Iwata compressor doesn't have a tank and it never presented any problems for me, and it was used across a range of purposes too.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I guess my take is that if you buy right, you buy once. If you've made it to the point in your modeling career that you've decided you want to start airbrushing, you're serious enough about scale modeling that you feel it is a hobby worth investing in. You can go cheap, but it's pretty widely known that airbrushes and compressors definitely fall into the "you get what you pay for" category. So, if you cheap out on an airbrush and/or compressor, you're setting yourself up for failure and dissatisfaction in a hobby you're already invested into. Why bother?

Again, buy right, buy once. I did a lot of research, saved up, and bought an Iwata HP-CS and Smart Jet Pro bundle back in January of 2014. Knowing nothing of airbrushes when I started out, I've done some pretty boneheaded stuff to my Iwata and it has never let me down for any reason of its own. Same for my compressor. I frequently forget to turn the power off and will often hear it cycle on at random times during the day because my moisture trap has a very slow leak. Bottom line, I've abused the hell out of my airbrush and compressor, but having bought quality components first, they have never let me down.

Plus, given the cost of a lot of modern model kits, an airbrush isn't really that expensive, proportionally speaking.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah thats fair.

I picked up the tankless airbrush combo because I wasnt fully committed to the hobby at the time. Tried handbrushing a few cheap kits, quickly realized that a lot of the techniques I was interested in trying out were limited to being airbrush only. Dropping $70 on that combo was much easier to do than spending $250+ on an Iwata compressor alone.

Whenever this little thing dies on me I'll probably switch to a compressor like one of the California Air Tools ones.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A few of you have mentioned an ultrasonic cleaner for their airbrush. What model do y'all use? One of my brushes is a bit gunky and I have $700 in Amazon points.

I'm also tempted to upgrade my tankless Master compressor but fighting that urge.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A few of you have mentioned an ultrasonic cleaner for their airbrush. What model do y'all use? One of my brushes is a bit gunky and I have $700 in Amazon points.

I'm also tempted to upgrade my tankless Master compressor but fighting that urge.

AMAZON POINTS YOU SAY?? Just get a new brush!

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Creos-Supreme-Airbrush-0-18mm/dp/B002P67CSK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=gsi+creos+770&qid=1563836749&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Procon-AIRBR...=gateway&sr=8-1

Or one of these compressors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYHYHEA/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU

I already have a badger Patriot and an iwata revolution, so I think I'm good on the brush front, but that compressor is tempting.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I started out with a $100 Canadian Tire compressor and the airbrush that came with it for free. The compressor is fine, if tankless, the airbrush was trash. However, it did teach me an important lesson about airbrush maintenance (namely that you have to do it).

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Well gently caress I didn't know I needed that in my life but here we are.

you can preorder the Zoukei-Mura 1/72 229 now:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=11011

Aug 30th release date. $39

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.tamiyausa.com/blog/tamiya-61120-148-lockheed-p-38-fg-lightning/

New tool Tamiya 1/48 P-38!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

:yeshaha:

I was wondering when someone would do a decent modern P-38.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

There are gonna be a lot of P-38s built in the coming year

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
My kingdom for a 1/32 offering. Still, a great time to be a scale modeler.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

From Tamiya's FB

quote:

Tamiya has some exciting news indeed for fans of aircraft models! The latest product in the popular 1/48 scale Aircraft Series is scheduled for release this Autumn, and will be announced at two events here in Japan from July 25. What's more, visitors to those events will be able to purchase a special preview version of the kit in a white box, containing prototype parts and materials. We are also hoping to be able to share the model with U.S. modelers at the 2019 IPMS USA Nationals in Tennessee from August 7! See below for some sneak preview pictures - that's all we have for you... for now!

Tamiya Modeler's Gallery 2019
July 25 - July 30, Tobu Department Store Ikebukuro, Tokyo, 8th Floor Exhibition Area

3rd Shizuoka Expo in Hokkaido
July 25 - July 30, Sapporo Tokyu Department Store, 9th Floor Exhibition Area

*Parts in the preview kit are prototypes and may differ from final product.
*Limited numbers of the preview kit will go on sale, on a first-come, first-served basis.
*Purchases of the preview kit are limited to one per person.

Here are some photo clues to this ALL-NEW and exciting kit!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
P-38 preview: https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/07/tamiyas-148th-scale-lockheed-p-38-fg.html?m=1#more

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nose weights and masks included. Nice.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

So is “Japanese guys way too into WWII US stuff” a thing like “American guys way too into WWII German stuff” in the modeling community?

Edit: it just struck me that one of the decal options Tamiya offered was the one that assassinated admiral Yamamoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

They also have a 1/48 G4M that includes a figure of Yamamoto.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/61110g4m1_yamamoto/index.htm