Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

:lol:

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1153346062863753216

Like Bernie, Brie Gray is too good for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Samantha Bee lmao , how dare you try and belittle Marianne like she’s a child . I’ll even let you read my aura , how disrespectful

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Sam Bee did a pretty hilarious bit on the Daily Show making fun of Morning Joe and she has sucked ever since.....

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Sam Bee apparently not above belittling the religious beliefs of non-christians

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

*deeply inhales*

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I realize that Sam B has a gigantic "peak liberalism" sign painted on her at all times, but she's not above mocking aaaaaaaaaanyone's religious beliefs... more to the point... are we characterizing MAW's crystal-based spiritualism as a religion now?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Deciding on healthcare policy by polling is disingenuous as gently caress. What if we added to the poll the phrasing that overhead costs are one of the biggest reasons for the cost of healthcare in the US, and as such just adding a public option without touching the rest of the system will do virtually nothing to address costs?

I think there's no clearest indication that you are a bought and paid for shill than supporting the dumbass "medicare for america". Just adding a public option does nothing to address the reasons why healthcare sucks in this country (and somehow all these polls always forger to mention the mandate part). Like, i understand if you are joe schmo on the street who thinks the healthcare lobby is just too powerful and so medicare for some is the best you can hope for. But the people who push it while actually being supported by that lobby are enemies of the people.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gripweed posted:

There's lots of good reasons. Increasing name recognition for future races, running for a cabinet position, they think it'll go down to a brokered convention where who the gently caress knows what will happen, they're having an affair and need an excuse to be away from home, they're lonely, etc.

You're super over thinking this.

There are so many people in the primary because Donny is the president. Since most people think he's an aberration, they think "why the gently caress not me, surely I'm better than him."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

What a doodoo poll. Maybe they should have figured out what the gently caress a wealth tax is before they started dialling landlines

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

kidkissinger posted:

extremely hosed up to not realize that marianne believes jesus christ is who will teach human beings to speak to dolphins

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sam Bee isn't wrong, everyone polling below top 6 should probably drop out after the second debate. They can all read as many auras as they want.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Sam Bee isn't wrong, everyone polling below top 6 should probably drop out after the second debate. They can all read as many auras as they want.

Marianne and Gravel should stay in as long as possible

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1153338735125250048

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Punk da Bundo posted:

why are there so many people in this primary , knowing full well they don’t have a chance . Who would buy a book by Corey Booker or tulsi gabbard ? They have no chance at all

Punk da Bundo posted:

Marianne and Gravel should stay in as long as possible

One page apart.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Meh. He worked at McKinsey for like 2 years. He did power points and got lunch. It's not a relevant part of his resume.

There are MUCH better lines of attack on him.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Meh. He worked at McKinsey for like 2 years. He did power points and got lunch. It's not a relevant part of his resume.

There are MUCH better lines of attack on him.

as a former troop, i wish i could have been deployed to afghanistan as a mckinsey consultant

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chilichimp posted:

One page apart.

Gravel is running as an issue candidate. He's not in the same category as the vast majority of the no-hopers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Sounds like most people are wrong and want a public option

I believe this poll includes Republicans, so that 41% for abolishing private insurance likely means most Democrats support it.

Though there's no good reason to care what people think about this to begin with, if you think it's a good idea. It's very dishonest when liberals use polling to argue against MfA, because doing so only makes sense if they are opposed to the policy themselves (they wouldn't use polling to argue against other issues of moral necessity that they care about).

(Also no poll can really capture what the outcome of said policy would be; if you could somehow look into the future at the outcome of MfA and convey that to people, they would obviously mostly support it)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

Deciding on healthcare policy by polling is disingenuous as gently caress. What if we added to the poll the phrasing that overhead costs are one of the biggest reasons for the cost of healthcare in the US, and as such just adding a public option without touching the rest of the system will do virtually nothing to address costs?

I think there's no clearest indication that you are a bought and paid for shill than supporting the dumbass "medicare for america". Just adding a public option does nothing to address the reasons why healthcare sucks in this country (and somehow all these polls always forger to mention the mandate part). Like, i understand if you are joe schmo on the street who thinks the healthcare lobby is just too powerful and so medicare for some is the best you can hope for. But the people who push it while actually being supported by that lobby are enemies of the people.

I mean the "do you support a public option" poll doesn't mean that's all people would support, it just means "I would take this." It's not like THAT ONE POLL is the basis for anyones policy decision-making, but a single data point in a larger question "how do we address healthcare in America?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I mean the "do you support a public option" poll doesn't mean that's all people would support, it just means "I would take this." It's not like THAT ONE POLL is the basis for anyones policy decision-making, but a single data point in a larger question "how do we address healthcare in America?"

Polling shouldn't factor into answering that question in any way, regardless. Policy should be decided based upon whether it's a good idea that will help people.

If you replace MfA with any other issue of moral necessity, like (for example) closing the border concentration camps, you'd suddenly find that deciding whether or not to do so based upon polling is ludicrous. So when we see people use polls in a context like this, we (correctly) assume that the person using the polls as a "data point" doesn't have a solid grasp on the issue and its importance/necessity.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 22, 2019

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

One page apart.

Marianne and Gravel aren’t centrists like everybody else onstage and have something different to say

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Polling shouldn't factor into answering that question in any way, regardless. Policy should be decided based upon whether it's a good idea that will help people.

"we shouldn't poll people, we should just do what we think is right"

like... I agree we should generally be "doing what is right", but also, polling is a useful goddamn tool of public policy. "We shouldn't ask what people want" is a goddamn ~take~, friend.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Punk da Bundo posted:

Marianne and Gravel aren’t centrists like everybody else onstage and have something different to say

I agree, it’s important to have candidates to remind us that Bush did 9/11.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just signal boosting this magnificent dragging from Current Affairs

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Chilichimp posted:

like... I agree we should generally be "doing what is right", but also, polling is a useful goddamn tool of public policy. "We shouldn't ask what people want" is a goddamn ~take~, friend.

I want a billion dollars. You can poll me about it first if you want.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chilichimp posted:

Giving the people what they say they don't want, but we paternalistically think they do, is a very good way to get your entire party thrown out and destroyed and having every single one of your achievements ripped away

Not that it appears that's an easy thing to avoid anyway (Trump ripping down Obama's stuff, obviously), but it's much, much better to sell the public on your ideas than to implement them without the consent of the governed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Giving the people what they say they don't want, but we paternalistically think they do, is a very good way to get your entire party thrown out and destroyed and having every single one of your achievements ripped away

Not that it appears that's an easy thing to avoid anyway (Trump ripping down Obama's stuff, obviously), but it's much, much better to sell the public on your ideas than to implement them without the consent of the governed

Depends on what the issue is. Because the electorate is made up of a large portion of human garbage, the death penalty is pretty popular. It should still be abolished.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chilichimp posted:

polling is useless and is a scam being perpetrated by people who think that data science is a good cover for the jankem they’re selling

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Phone posted:

polling is useless and is a scam being perpetrated by people who think that data science is a good cover for the jankem they’re selling

This is an exaggeration. Polling is useful, but it's only one piece of the puzzle.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

as a former troop, i wish i could have been deployed to afghanistan as a mckinsey consultant

Spreadsheet Corps, owning the enemy with Air-to-Ground Macros.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
What was the polling data on freeing slaves

Just wanna make sure we're doing the right thing here

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sinistral posted:

I agree, it’s important to have candidates to remind us that Bush did 9/11.

That and to shame everybody for their imperialism , including Bernie

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Everyone in this thread who supports Kamala is going to vote for Trump in the general election of they vote all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

buddhist nudist posted:

Everyone in this thread who supports Kamala is going to vote for Trump in the general election of they vote all.

I kinda assume that even if Biden was the nominee a lot of Biden primary voters would vote Trump in the general

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

I have no idea why she's still even in this race.

The strongest argument that can be made for Franken is he's on the Biden-end of the creep scale, not the Trump-end.

Which is a preeeeeeeeeeetty lovely argument.
i expected that people in this forum would not actually read about the article but post about it anyway, and that's exactly what i got lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I feel like you may have learned the wrong lesson from the last ten years, friend...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

I feel like you may have learned the wrong lesson from the last ten years, friend...
Whether or not it's even true, that's how Obamacare was viewed by voters, and actually doing it would probably see similar, if not worse, results. Especially for policies that will absolutely cause taxes to go up

That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep pushing for it and educating people about how it will save you money in the long run, but "voters won't vote against their best interests" is not something you can depend on

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Grapplejack posted:

I like the idea that if Bernie fails it's time to abandon the idea of democracy altogether and become the pro-authoritarian left, as if that is at all a good idea

I like the idea that the USA has a functioning democracy to begin with.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The old rule that you can get whatever answer to a poll that you like as long as you word the questions right has been known for so long that they made a Yes Minister sketch about it some 25 years ago, yet we still have people ITT who uncritically buy polling as some kind of divine revelation.

theflyingorc posted:

Ah yes, the massive voting bloc of people who'll never have to worry about a medical bill or their deductible or insurance premiums ever again but suddenly realize on election day that they had a somewhat different opinion once are sure going to throw out the people who massively improved their lives.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i expected that people in this forum would not actually read about the article but post about it anyway, and that's exactly what i got lol

I got like two pages into it and it was all about how sad Al Franken was. And the whole thing was really long so I called it quits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I kinda assume that even if Biden was the nominee a lot of Biden primary voters would vote Trump in the general

That's because Biden's unironic electoral strategy is to poach republican primary voters since the Republicans won't be running a primary this year, and many states have open primaries.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I read the article. What's your point?

I freely admit the point of the article was that Tweedon was fabricating her entire complaint, and even if I accept that premise, the best explanation for the other victim's is that he likes to touch womens asses, inappropriately.

Framing Franken as a Biden-esque woman groper certainly is better than framing him as a serial sexual assaulter, but it's still not great. Franken absolutely did the right thing by resigning.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 22, 2019