Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

skipdogg posted:

Just a heads up for anyone that misses dole whip as much as I do. I ordered a bag of the Dole mix off Amazon and it's 100% legit. I made it in a homemade ice cream machine, the kind that uses salt and ice and it turned out pretty drat good. Short of spending 2 grand on a used Taylor machine, I couldn't ask for a better outcome. I've made 2 batches so far and still have over half the bag left easily. Just ordered the Raspberry flavor as well to give that a shot.

Here in the Bay Area, more and more places to order
Dole Whip are popping up. Had it once in Chincoteague, VA, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

skipdogg posted:

Just a heads up for anyone that misses dole whip as much as I do. I ordered a bag of the Dole mix off Amazon and it's 100% legit. I made it in a homemade ice cream machine, the kind that uses salt and ice and it turned out pretty drat good. Short of spending 2 grand on a used Taylor machine, I couldn't ask for a better outcome. I've made 2 batches so far and still have over half the bag left easily. Just ordered the Raspberry flavor as well to give that a shot.

why would you do this to me

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bottom Liner posted:

why would you do this to me

https://www.amazon.com/Dole-Soft-Serve-Lemon-Pound/dp/B01666JBFG/?th=1

26 bucks and you could be having one this weekend :D

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The more available Dole Whip is, the less special it becomes.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Cais posted:

That’s the first Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party of this year. It’s hit or miss whether they’d let you park there without a dining reservation. Might be able to get in by invoking trader sams or dole whips but it’s up to security.

You don’t have to park at the poly, park at the MK lots and use the path to the poly from the Ticket and Transportation Center. It takes you right to the beach. I think a better option than the Poly beach might actually be the boat ramp at the TTC. It’s got a great view, less crowded than the poly beach, and the speakers are there.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I also haven’t seen anyone call FoP or Smugglers bad, so that’s a new hot take too. And the equivalence of screens and bad isn’t accurate as there are great ones and there are terrible ones. No one is mad at Disney for doing screen rides because they use them sparingly and do them well.

Also, there's distinct ride styles involved for each Disney screen ride (well, aside from FoP/Soarin' and even then you're in two different seating arrangements), where Universal has clear categories of "theater seats that move up and down in front of a big screen", "halfhearted motion simulator car in front of a big screen", "ride vehicle on a robot arm with a lot of big screens", and "tour tram with big screens on either side" that can contain the majority of their rides now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Every screen makes me sick. I wanted to like FoP so, so much.

Edit: I'm hosed for Galaxy's Edge, aren't I?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Edit: I'm hosed for Galaxy's Edge, aren't I?

RotR will apparently include two full-size AT-ATs as part of the ride scenery and 300+ new animatronics.

Edit:

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 20, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roadie posted:

Also, there's distinct ride styles involved for each Disney screen ride (well, aside from FoP/Soarin' and even then you're in two different seating arrangements), where Universal has clear categories of "theater seats that move up and down in front of a big screen", "halfhearted motion simulator car in front of a big screen", "ride vehicle on a robot arm with a lot of big screens", and "tour tram with big screens on either side" that can contain the majority of their rides now.

In its defense, Forbidden Journey is literally the only ride with its operating system in the world as far as I know. Even Soarin' is unique in its seating arrangement, whereas Flight of Passage is the exact same system as The Simpsons/Back to the Future at Universal with individual seats and some more immersion elements.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm going to Disneyworld with family September 13th and 14th. We're staying at the Dolphin, does anyone know if the dining plan special:

A) Applies to the Dolphin hotel
B) Can be added on after the reservation has already been made

We're really only planning to do table meals on the 14th, (breakfast somewhere and California Grill for dinner) since the 13th is our Food and Wine day and I'm guessing the dining plans are of no use at the food stalls.

Thanks!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iirc the dolphin doesn’t get the ability to do the dining plans. The dolphin isn’t actually owned by Disney, the company that owns them just pays to use the Disney world branding (we would HAVE to say Walt Disney Worlds Swan & Dolphin on the phones or they’d dock us points lol).

But tbh you’d make out better not getting the dining pass and paying outta pocket. The dining pass is ALOT of food.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Stayed at the Swan multiple times, the resorts are gorgeous and are kept pretty immaculate. The rooms aren't much to write home about, just very nice and well kept.

The Swan and Dolphin (and whatever the future one they are building is named) are/were Starwood resorts with disney branding. I'm pretty sure Marriott recently bought up Starwood so they are sorta fused now. When we stayed there, we booked through my aunt, who worked for Starwood, and got incredibly good room deals (<$100 a night) and you get a comped hot breakfast buffet that has characters once a week at the Swan. I believe they also provided a card that worked similar to the AP or DVC dining discount at most disney sit downs. I'm not sure if that breakfast buffet and the discount card were perks of Starwood club members or just perks offered by the resort.

Also, good thing to keep in mind, you don't get Magical Express last I checked, which kinda sucks because two and from the airport is quite pricey.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can’t remember does Disney transport run during the Halloween party

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I can’t remember does Disney transport run during the Halloween party

Yes. All Disney transport is available for guests post Halloween party.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/newsguygreg/status/1152754298880712704?s=21

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rumor is a lady threatening to jump off the parking garage

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
False alarm?

https://twitter.com/newsguygreg/status/1152764089447473152?s=21

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1152984132257009666?s=21

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We’re doing the cast preview of Star Wars on the 13th! Hyyyype

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats.
We’re going down in December. We’re staying at a time share instead of Disney that my gfs mom has. But of course I forgot to check the reviews before we booked it...Calypso Cay Resorts which has like 2 stars on TripAdvisor rip.

Ah well. It was $400 for a week instead of the $900 Disney wanted for four days at All Stars. It can’t be that bad can it? :V

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

We’re doing the cast preview of Star Wars on the 13th! Hyyyype

I desperately need some CM friends to get their previews on a Saturday or Sunday and get me in. I'll totally knock out that drive if I have to.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Empress Brosephine posted:

Congrats.
We’re going down in December. We’re staying at a time share instead of Disney that my gfs mom has. But of course I forgot to check the reviews before we booked it...Calypso Cay Resorts which has like 2 stars on TripAdvisor rip.

Ah well. It was $400 for a week instead of the $900 Disney wanted for four days at All Stars. It can’t be that bad can it? :V

My husband and I spend all day at the parks (no kids woo) and basically use the hotel as a crash pad, so as long as the place has a moderately comfortable and clean bed and a shower we'd be good. But if hanging out at the resort is an important part of your vacation experience, it may be something you want to throw more money towards. For less than half the cost, though, the cheaper place would have to be pretty dire for us to be put off.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Your Tower of Terror Fastpass doesn't exist and you're standing at the ride.

Should you:

A - Work with a cast member to help you out

B - Punch the CM in the face, start slamming all the ride buttons, and get banned for life

[url] https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-disney-tourist-terror-20190722-bf3kpc65ezhftixb4pbyzq5hem-story.html[/url]

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I have questions. 1. How did they even get to the pre-show area without knowing if they have FastPasses? And 2. Once you're in the pre-show area, and you waited in standby, why would you act a fool when your dumb rear end is ABOUT TO GET ON THE RIDE? This makes no sense.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Braksgirl posted:

I have questions. 1. How did they even get to the pre-show area without knowing if they have FastPasses? And 2. Once you're in the pre-show area, and you waited in standby, why would you act a fool when your dumb rear end is ABOUT TO GET ON THE RIDE? This makes no sense.

1. Jump into the FP line while waiting in standby
2. They probably got stopped at the second FP scanners in the lobby of the hotel. ToT is one of the rides where you scan twice

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That behavior is only acceptable when the cm says “sorry sir, we are out of dole whip”

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The pressing of the buttons just baffles me. What did they even think that would accomplish but to get them in some form of trouble (which they then made worse by PUNCHING SOMEONE. WTF)

anywho, Seeing Galaxy's Edge on the 15th and I am stoked. Gonna crash that Millenium Falcon

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The pressing of the buttons just baffles me. What did they even think that would accomplish but to get them in some form of trouble (which they then made worse by PUNCHING SOMEONE. WTF)

anywho, Seeing Galaxy's Edge on the 15th and I am stoked. Gonna crash that Millenium Falcon

Come two days earlier and we can burn that ship to the ground! Are they going to allow cameras? I assume so.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I'll be there the 7th and the 14th. And then desperately trying to pickup a photopass shift so I can rock the costume at least once.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I asked this a little earlier, but I have a breakfast reservation for Tusker House at 9:15 am.

Will they let me into the park before park opens?

I'm hoping if I can get in at 8:00 am, they might be able to sit us early and we can get in line for FoP before 9 am.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Park opens at 9? Unlikely. They might let you in 5-10 minutes early at best, and, even then, you will be ushered to the restaurant without a chance to sneak off to the ride queue.

Even with reservations well before park open, I think the rule of thumb they give you 20-30 minutes max for early arrival.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

couldcareless posted:

Park opens at 9? Unlikely. They might let you in 5-10 minutes early at best, and, even then, you will be ushered to the restaurant without a chance to sneak off to the ride queue.

Even with reservations well before park open, I think the rule of thumb they give you 20-30 minutes max for early arrival.

Bummer.

Oh well. Thanks!

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I did Smuggler's Run as an engineer and it was boring and poopy. The visuals were ok but the "story" was generic as hell and as an experience I think even Star Tours was better (and of course Hyperspace Mountain remains king even if it's filled with long stretches of literally can't see anything despite supposedly being in the middle of an epic space battle).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Nanigans posted:

I asked this a little earlier, but I have a breakfast reservation for Tusker House at 9:15 am.

With a park opening at 9, if you commit hard to the rope drop and do some power walking to Tusker House after, you might be able to do both anyway. Going by EasyWDW posts and our own experience, they start running the ride slightly before official open. We were in what i believe was the first or second pre show of the day 7 minutes before opening, looking at a tweet i made.

I don’t remember if you said this is your best opportunity to ride FoP; if you have another, i think it’s worth skipping this plan to dodge the potential stress of a time crunch. But if this morning is your best bet, well....

That being said, I wouldn’t try this unless someone confirms Disney is fine with you showing up 5–10 minutes late for a reservation in case something goes wrong.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We have shown up 20-30 minutes late to a dining reservation before. I think the official grace period is 30 minutes but I find the CMs at the check in desk tend to be really understanding about transportation delays and the like.

I think getting to the park well before rope drop and going straight to FoP and then right over to breakfast after is the best plan here. As long as you're towards the front of the line for FoP you should be on and off in 20-30 minutes tops. I would plan to get to the park early, then actually get there earlier than that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, the plan was to try to get an 8 am reservation for Tusker House, then book it to FoP. But that didn't work out. I grabbed the earliest reservation I could, hoping it might help, but at this point, I'm just going to cancel it because it's 4 grown adults going, and we don't necessarily want the Tusker House character dining experience. We just wanted early FoP.

And doing rope drop is going to be tough because we're taking my 60 year old in-laws and we're staying for Happily Ever After the night before. They seem excited for FoP, so maybe they'll commit to waking up early.

We have fastpasses for 7:35 pm that night for FoP. But considering we have a 4 hour drive home after, that's not going to work, heh.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If you are still interested in tusker house food, hit up Boma. It's basically tusker house sans characters and its amazing for breakfast and dinner. Pretty sure it's a thread favorite.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The official grace period is 30 minutes, after which they're supposed to free up the table. If you're later than that they might be able to seat you if there's still free space, but no guarantees.

And yes, Boma is the same as Tusker House, as in the exact same selection of food without any characters. If you don't care about getting character photos, Boma is the way to go. It also doesn't require a park ticket, so if you're not an annual passholder you can still go!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not a fan of early ADR's to get a jump on a ride. Spending 120 dollars plus tax and tip just isn't worth it. We always eat at Tusker house when we visit AK, but we like to take our time and enjoy the food. No way I would want to try to rush the meal.

Your best bet is to rope drop the ride. It's worth it if you can't otherwise get a fast pass. Refreshing the app looking for a FP sometimes works as well. I'm a big fan of the "refresh method"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

skipdogg posted:

I'm not a fan of early ADR's to get a jump on a ride. Spending 120 dollars plus tax and tip just isn't worth it. We always eat at Tusker house when we visit AK, but we like to take our time and enjoy the food. No way I would want to try to rush the meal.

Your best bet is to rope drop the ride. It's worth it if you can't otherwise get a fast pass. Refreshing the app looking for a FP sometimes works as well. I'm a big fan of the "refresh method"

Yeah, I feel exactly the same, but being as it might be the only time my in-laws go, I wanted to try to give them the best time.

And I'll definitely be refreshing that app all morning. :D