Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

HenryEx posted:

You and me both.

I think you'll find it's spelled "Emmett."

As in TTEMME. Pronounced like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshm7vneHN0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Out of Emmett.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was kind of dunking on you but I didn't catch that either, good job there

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Phy posted:

Yeah I was kind of dunking on you but I didn't catch that either, good job there

:same:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

The old dude look really worked for Sam Elliott in Roadhouse, because he does look like an older guy but then you see his body and you're like goddamn this guy is absolutely ripped. He's supposed to be playing like the best bouncer that ever lived so it was perfect for the role.
Until you notice he’s wearing sneakers with lifts the whole time then it’s hilarious.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Has anyone mentioned Under the Silver Lake yet? It's the latest from the writer/director of It Follows, and, wow. I'm not sure how much I liked it but its literally massively full of codes and messages for the protagonist as well as the viewer. One example is in a scene where fireworks are going off at a bizarre place/time. People have figured out that the fireworks are going off in morse code and there's a very clear message that absolutely was intentional. It's long and kinda slow but i've been thinking on it a lot since I watched it. It's on Prime Video if anyone is interested.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gejimayu posted:

Has anyone mentioned Under the Silver Lake yet? It's the latest from the writer/director of It Follows, and, wow. I'm not sure how much I liked it but its literally massively full of codes and messages for the protagonist as well as the viewer. One example is in a scene where fireworks are going off at a bizarre place/time. People have figured out that the fireworks are going off in morse code and there's a very clear message that absolutely was intentional. It's long and kinda slow but i've been thinking on it a lot since I watched it. It's on Prime Video if anyone is interested.

Gonna check it out on Prime this weekend. Thanks op

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kramdar posted:

Out of Emmett.

You're the doc, Doc.

Hey, also, buying into the time travel thing and all, sure... But how the hell do you explain Doc's complete lack of safety that nearly gets him and Marty killed when the DeLorean with Einstein in it comes back? That always bugged me; he's so scientific, so precise, and yet his watch gives him like a 2-second warning about this huge car barreling through at 88mph, exactly where's he's standing.

C'mon, Doc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Phy posted:

Holy cow, I'm dumb.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You're the doc, Doc.

Hey, also, buying into the time travel thing and all, sure... But how the hell do you explain Doc's complete lack of safety that nearly gets him and Marty killed when the DeLorean with Einstein in it comes back? That always bugged me; he's so scientific, so precise, and yet his watch gives him like a 2-second warning about this huge car barreling through at 88mph, exactly where's he's standing.

C'mon, Doc.

Give him a break, he just invented time travel (for a second time).

And Doc is anything but scientific. The man’s a hot mess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doc is basically a likeable mad scientist. He got the plutonium to power his time machine by stealing it from Libya and all.

The context is lost today but choosing a DeLorean as the base for his time machine is meant to show that he's eccentric at best, since they were notoriously unreliable, underpowered and weird for the time. And the car does break down throughout all three movies, not unrealistic for a DeLorean even before you install a ton of barely tested mad science doodads to it.

Equivalent today would be like... Tesla doesn't seem quite right given they still have an undeserved positive reputation, maybe a Reliant Robin.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Jul 24, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doc is basically a likeable mad scientist. He got the plutonium to power his time machine by stealing it from Libya and all.

The Rick & Morty show is pretty much a BTTF parody (it actually started out as a direct parody and the names got changed) that only makes Doc/Rick slightly more amoral than he was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much, yeah. I think Doc might have been the originator for mad scientists as a central character and even protagonist rather than villain or side character.

Actual subtle moment is that BTTF doesn't bother explaining why Doc Brown and Marty are friends, though there was originally a few scenes going to, because the actors had such good chemistry there was no need to. A carefree teenage punk and a reclusive elderly mad scientist wouldn't exactly be expected to be friends, even Rick and Morty has to justify why the hell they interact at all with being blood family.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Another subtle diff is bttf being not bad instead of v bad. Hard to spot but it's there

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Needles being a pretty dope metalhead name, but also the person who'd needle McFly into doing bad things was something I didn't appreciate until the uptenth viewing.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Terrorists with enough resources to obtain plutonium and yet Doc is surprised they're able to track him down when they discover that he gave them a fake bomb.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I think Doc might have been the originator for mad scientists as a central character and even protagonist rather than villain or side character.

A very subtle moment is the existence of Jerry Lewis and Fred MacMurray

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Needles being a pretty dope metalhead name, but also the person who'd needle McFly into doing bad things was something I didn't appreciate until the uptenth viewing.

Biff was the person who George biffed in the face

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought biffing in the face was when you get really dehydrated and then ejaculate across someone's visage.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought biffing in the face was when you get really dehydrated and then ejaculate across someone's visage.

No, that's known as Sun Tannen lotion

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

:discourse:

I was wondering what was taking so long for someone to reply to Pope's post.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

:laffo:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Gejimayu posted:

I've found the movie oddly disturbing even if it's a bit bleak for me. That said, there is a shitton of coded messages (think ARG levels of code cracking) in the movie; this is very meta - since code breaking and hidden messages are such a big part of the plot of the movie - even if afaik it's something destined for the viewers and not part of the plot of the movie in itself. There is a subreddit hunting for these coded messages, and this is a "what we have discovered so far" thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/underthesilverlake/comments/a8ui73/biggest_discovery_of_the_utsl_mystery/

It's...very fitting that I've just finished the movie and I've missed almost every single one of these.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

Terrorists with enough resources to obtain plutonium and yet Doc is surprised they're able to track him down when they discover that he gave them a fake bomb.

I was always under the impression he expected to be in another time zone (literally) when they finally got on to him, and to be fair if they'd shown up like 15 minutes later he'd have been right

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I was always under the impression he expected to be in another time zone (literally) when they finally got on to him, and to be fair if they'd shown up like 15 minutes later he'd have been right

Not necessarily; I don't think Doc was ready to go anywhere / anywhen that night, but it's possible.

Edit: another thing that bugs me about that scene (I really do love the movie and trilogy, really :ohdear:) is when he puts in the date when he invented the flux capacitor. He first says it like it was when time travel was invented. Then right after that, it's like it just occurs to him that that's the date he invented the thing. The two sentences seem really weird together, like Doc totally knows what happened on that date, and then immediately acts like he's just remembering it for the first time.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 11:59 on Jul 25, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Not necessarily; I don't think Doc was ready to go anywhere / anywhen that night, but it's possible.

Edit: another thing that bugs me about that scene (I really do love the movie and trilogy, really :ohdear:) is when he puts in the date when he invented the flux capacitor. He first says it like it was when time travel was invented. Then right after that, it's like it just occurs to him that that's the date he invented the thing. The two sentences seem really weird together, like Doc totally knows what happened on that date, and then immediately acts like he's just remembering it for the first time.

It's too obvious a reaction to not be deliberate. Perhaps it was Doc marveling at the moment his invention went from theoretical to practical. 30 years is a long time to wait when you first get your inspiration at **checks notes** 17 years of age. poo poo, Christopher Lloyd looked vaguely young on Taxi and then pretty much was old for the rest of his career.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's the Patrick Stewart technique. Go bald young and you'll be sort of old forever.

See also; Jude Law.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's too obvious a reaction to not be deliberate. Perhaps it was Doc marveling at the moment his invention went from theoretical to practical. 30 years is a long time to wait when you first get your inspiration at **checks notes** 17 years of age. poo poo, Christopher Lloyd looked vaguely young on Taxi and then pretty much was old for the rest of his career.

Wait, are you saying that you think 1955 Doc Brown is supposed to be 17? I always assumed that 55 Doc Brown was in his mid-late 30s or a bit older and 85 Doc was mid-late 60s or a bit older.

edit: according to the novelization of the film, Doc is 35 in 1955 and 65 in 1985.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

The whole reason the movie happens is because Doc has refueled the DeLorean to go on a trip 30 years into the future (“I, Doctor Emmet Brown, am about to embark on an historic journey”) but forgot to pack extra plutonium to get back.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I always assumed that 55 Doc Brown was in his mid-late 30s or a bit older and 85 Doc was mid-late 60s or a bit older

You are correct

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

OldSenileGuy posted:

The whole reason the movie happens is because Doc has refueled the DeLorean to go on a trip 30 years into the future (“I, Doctor Emmet Brown, am about to embark on an historic journey”) but forgot to pack extra plutonium to get back.

Obviously he thought that in 2015 Plutonium would be available at every corner store.

One joke that I absolutely love in 2 is when he proudly shows off his rejuvenation surgery, since he was wearing an old man mask, and he basically looks the same. Like, they did add a few wrinkles, but he's the same.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lone Pine Mall is a classic subtle movie moment

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Lone Pine Mall is a classic subtle movie moment

I remember the first time I noticed that. Such a fun little detail

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

MichiganCubbie posted:

Obviously he thought that in 2015 Plutonium would be available at every corner store.

One joke that I absolutely love in 2 is when he proudly shows off his rejuvenation surgery, since he was wearing an old man mask, and he basically looks the same. Like, they did add a few wrinkles, but he's the same.

A also a good excuse to just write out the really horrible and super noticeable prosthetics. It's the one downside of the first movie in HD

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MichiganCubbie posted:

Wait, are you saying that you think 1955 Doc Brown is supposed to be 17? I always assumed that 55 Doc Brown was in his mid-late 30s or a bit older and 85 Doc was mid-late 60s or a bit older.

edit: according to the novelization of the film, Doc is 35 in 1955 and 65 in 1985.

I know he's not supposed to his real age, I just couldn't figure out how old he'd be in 1955 to still look the same in 1985. They make the same joke about the Principal who is another actor who never really ages either because he's bald.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

*cracks knuckles, flips down wrap-around mirror shades*

When he first puts the 1955 date in, hes just using it as a trivial example of an important date in the town's history; the date of the clocktower being struck by lightning, which he then realizes is coincidentally the same day he came up with the idea of the flux capacitor I mean have you goons even seen the movie hundreds of times or not?!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

MichiganCubbie posted:

But he was 65 in 2016! Great Scott!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

*cracks knuckles, flips down wrap-around mirror shades*

When he first puts the 1955 date in, hes just using it as a trivial example of an important date in the town's history; the date of the clocktower being struck by lightning, which he then realizes is coincidentally the same day he came up with the idea of the flux capacitor I mean have you goons even seen the movie hundreds of times or not?!

Yeah, you're right. That is a weird way to segue into how he invented time travel. I guess it reinforces the clock tower plot point if you didn't catch it the first time from the old lady with the coin can.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
But the date he puts in is not the date of the clock tower lightning strike. It’s a week before. (Nov 5 vs Nov 12) He doesn’t mention the clock tower at all.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, I’ve always agreed that that was a weird moment. He inputs the date and calls it a red-letter date in the history of science, but then acts like he only remembers it’s the date he invented time travel afterwards. What else happened on that date to make it so important?

OldSenileGuy has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Jul 25, 2019

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

OldSenileGuy posted:

He had extra plutonium actually (case of it as I recall, they pulled out one container of a bunch when they were loading the car) but they didn’t get a chance to put the rest into the car before the terrorists came in shooting. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been able to travel into the future to set up the sequel, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

But the date he puts in is not the date of the clock tower lightning strike. It’s a week before. (Nov 5 vs Nov 12) He doesn’t mention the clock tower at all.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, I’ve always agreed that that was a weird moment. He inputs the date and calls it a red-letter date in the history of science, but then acts like he only remembers it’s the date he invented time travel afterwards. What else happened on that date to make it so important?

Damnit, you're right. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat.