Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Can I post a paypal.me link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

After two hours, I'm naked, covered in filth, exhausted, standing in front of an absolutely nonsensical white board filled with insane ramblings

Same but it's a regular Monday morning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Certs arent voodoo magic and too few people understand certs. There is always a “certs” guy that is designated for every org and everyone else throws up there hands at it.

It’s amazing to me how entire groups of web devs don’t understand certs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sickening posted:

Certs arent voodoo magic and too few people understand certs. There is always a “certs” guy that is designated for every org and everyone else throws up there hands at it.

Have you gotten your monthly request from some random dev for a wildcard cert covering *.*.*.*.companyname.* yet? Just had to explain that you can't actually do that yet again recently.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What part of certs is hard? I had to generate one for setting up LDAPS in Azure and it was pretty straight forward?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

What part of certs is hard? I had to generate one for setting up LDAPS in Azure and it was pretty straight forward?

People's brains all work in different ways, what is easy for you and I might not be for others. I've found that a vast majority of technical people don't really understand certs and PKI, and I've done many classes/seminars on the subject to try and help them learn.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Defenestrategy posted:

I find most people are familiar with what certs are, but not specifically with what they do or how they do that.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The first time I successfully generated a csr and signed it with our pki and saw that sweet, sweet green https I was the final vincemcmahon.gif irl

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
poo poo gets annoying when you need to import the chain of trust into a device because that poo poo's weak.

Also EAP-TLS seems to gently caress basically everybody up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Currently on a Webex with 170 others to watch a presentation from C level.

Someone isn't on mute and is making snide "tsk" and "pffttt" sounds at almost every slide.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

My current project has a whole team of people that don't know how certs work. They keep bothering one guy that does, but he doesn't have the access to fix anything. Finally he just copied and pasted the cert in plain text in an email with the subject "USE THIS CERT"

I'm going to pass it to openssl and see if it's just a bunch of obscenities.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

People's brains all work in different ways, what is easy for you and I might not be for others. I've found that a vast majority of technical people don't really understand certs and PKI, and I've done many classes/seminars on the subject to try and help them learn.

:same:

There is something specific to certs that a group of smart people can't understand. I find SAML also to be one of those as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

There is something specific to certs that a group of smart people can't understand. I find SAML also to be one of those as well.

Oh man, the first time the light bulb went off on SAML for me, that was a good feeling. It's tough to wrap your head around!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh man, the first time the light bulb went off on SAML for me, that was a good feeling. It's tough to wrap your head around!

The first time I saw a diagram detailing authentication flow for SAML + ADFS this is what I saw:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

The first time I saw a diagram detailing authentication flow for SAML + ADFS this is what I saw:

This is me when troubleshooting OAuth/OIDC

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

How'd you get a picture of me at home, or maybe that's work, it all blends together and is basically the same anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I once had an app owner fight against OKTA because he thought it was going to reset all the unique security assignments his team had spent months setting up in their app. He thought he was going to have to do it all over again in OKTAs platform. It took a solid hour to explain to him that no, okta was not doing that.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Starting a new job next week. Well, it's a contracting gig.

For a trading firm.
In midtown Manhattan.
With an on call rotation.

:confuoot:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bonzo posted:

Currently on a Webex with 170 others to watch a presentation from C level.

Someone isn't on mute and is making snide "tsk" and "pffttt" sounds at almost every slide.

If I had 3 wishes, I am not sure I could resist the urge to burn two of them right away with:

1> I wish everyone knew that you can "Mute All" as the host on a WebEx, and even set "Mute on Entry".
2> I wish everyone knew that there was an option to "Turn off Entry/Exit tones."

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

AlternateAccount posted:

If I had 3 wishes, I am not sure I could resist the urge to burn two of them right away with:

1> I wish everyone knew that you can "Mute All" as the host on a WebEx, and even set "Mute on Entry".
2> I wish everyone knew that there was an option to "Turn off Entry/Exit tones."
But then, how could they stop the meeting to ask the all important question "Who just joined"?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

TWBalls posted:

But then, how could they stop the meeting to ask the all important question "Who just joined"?

lol if you dont shout "HELLO EVERYONE, I AM HERE" into the microphone anytime you join a webex

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

TWBalls posted:

Oh, thank God, I thought I was the only one who gets driven up a loving wall by this.

Also, it's me, I'm the one who doesn't understand certs. I've issued a couple, and we have a certs guy who I've asked to explain it to me a few times, but I just don't get it. I probably just need it explained differently.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Webex now turns on your webcam as soon as you join a meeting with no prompt or anything. That's been fun to see people scramble.

We got some webdcam covers branded with our logo and it was one of the most popular giveaways at a recent trade show.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Webex now turns on your webcam as soon as you join a meeting with no prompt or anything. That's been fun to see people scramble.
I had a call at 6:30 in the morning (gently caress the East Coast) and yes, yes it was a surprise.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The HP Elitebook 840 G5 has a little built-in sliding cover. Pretty cool, actually.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I am counting down the days to my last day and the clock is ticking slower than it ever has before. Basically handed everything off and am twiddling my thumbs for the next 7 business days.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I introduce myself on conference calls as “your on the mic with mike”. No one bothers me after that

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jaegerx posted:

I introduce myself on conference calls as “your on the mic with mike”. No one bothers me after that

I tried out "It's me, ya boi!" but that just didn't feel right.
I do like looking back at old conference invites from a particular vendor and dialing into that bridge # because apparently their system has a habit of reusing passcodes.
Verizon likes to keep a single webex open all day and just start new meetings when everyone from the last meeting left. Those are always fun because I get to see what our neighbors are working on.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Greetings of the day!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hail and well met!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ahoy the webcast!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sirotan posted:

Life is short, you can find a better job, don't settle for this.

A position opened up with the County I want to work for so I decided to apply, because why not?
Unfortunately it's a SIGNIFICANT pay decrease (like 2/3 my current salary) and I think I might be overqualified (it's tier I helpdesk basically) but I figure at the very least I'll get to shake some hands, practice my interviewing skills, and take a polygraph :unsmith:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You never know what doors it'll open up. Congrats on the opportunity. Personally, I'd love to have an opportunity to work in Europe. Some day. :sigh:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Money and responsibility aren't everything, but I'm really just asking, what makes you want to work for this particular county?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh hey, maybe Equifax will have to pay a decent chunk of money (not enough to seriously affect them I assume) due to the breach in 2017, still needs court approval so it's still likely they will be able to get out of it: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/business/equifax-settlement.html

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Oh hey, maybe Equifax will have to pay a decent chunk of money (not enough to seriously affect them I assume) due to the breach in 2017, still needs court approval so it's still likely they will be able to get out of it: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/business/equifax-settlement.html
That's a loving joke. Any fine not cracking multiple billions for that breach is just letting financial institutions know that they can get away with murder, still.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

That's a loving joke. Any fine not cracking multiple billions for that breach is just letting financial institutions know that they can get away with murder, still.

They let them know this in 2009.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
No fine could ever be large enough. People need to go to prison.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Comradephate posted:

No fine could ever be large enough. People need to go to prison.

And the government should have nationalized the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanatosian posted:

And the government should have nationalized the company.

They would have just contracted out the day-to-day to the brand-new not-at-all-related Equalfax Management Consulting Group.