Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I haven't finished Furrowfield yet, but are you always restricted on what you can take with you when you go between islands?

Yes.

You can take everything back to the island of Awakening when you finish a place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've noticed the tiles you terraform with consumables generate their own props and naturally grow the appropriate trees and the like, does mass Transform-O-Trowel transplantation carry the same benefit or are you gonna end up with really featureless terrain?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Caidin posted:

I've noticed the tiles you terraform with consumables generate their own props and naturally grow the appropriate trees and the like, does mass Transform-O-Trowel transplantation carry the same benefit or are you gonna end up with really featureless terrain?

It works

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mulderman posted:

Is there ever a reason NOT to use the poison needle as your main weapon in Builders 2?
That change of insta kill is just too good.

The instakill doesn't work on all enemies, so there's at least a reason there to use stuff with more attack power when going up against those enemies. Also when fighting enemies that would get taken out in 1-3 hits anyway with a different weapon.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Ofecks posted:

The only class changes you ever should do are making Sages. Priest -> Sage, Wizard -> Sage, Goof-off/Gadabout -> Sage. The vast majority of the game isn't that hard so min-maxing it isn't necessary. Maybe think about that sort of thing in the post-game (where you need to beat a boss in limited turns to earn prizes), and you'll have access to Metal Babbles for quick level boosts.

I have a level 30 Priest because I wanted to get fullheal, should I make them a sage now or wait until they get the spell that heals everyone?

Also everyone who told me I didn't need to grind was definitely right because I tried it and everything was fine. I don't know what that guide was going on about.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

President Ark posted:

what's the second-to-last thing on the first row of the infinite-stone scavenger hunt on the snow explorer's shore? i can't find it and have no idea what i'm looking for

e: oh, of course, it was a tree that looked exactly like the other kind of tree i'd already checked off and assumed i didn't need to look at

Use the flute next time.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Finished DQB2.

Final chapter felt largely pointless gathering materials and monsters to more or less abandon them once the Buggy could fly. Some okay DQ monster dialogue but otherwise an exercise in frustration for me. Would’ve liked it better if the last island fast tracked you to the showdown in the castle ASAP.

I really really want to like these games but chrrrrrriiiiist are they both ~50 hour long tutorials.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

In Builders 2 how do you set up animal breeding? I want rare dogs.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

chapter 3 (moonbroke) spoiler PLEASE tell me you make it up to your bro, I am going to cry!

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
What conditions have to be met before my villagers will build a blueprint for me in DQB2?

When I was asked to build a bath house in Furrowfield, I laid the blueprint down just a little outside of the original farm. I placed a chest right in front of it and put exactly the right materials in the chest. Even after I started placing blocks onto the blueprint myself, nobody came and helped.

My farm was level 3.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Copper Vein posted:

What conditions have to be met before my villagers will build a blueprint for me in DQB2?

When I was asked to build a bath house in Furrowfield, I laid the blueprint down just a little outside of the original farm. I placed a chest right in front of it and put exactly the right materials in the chest. Even after I started placing blocks onto the blueprint myself, nobody came and helped.

My farm was level 3.

I think it's story-gated. The villagers in the first area don't help you until later.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
DQ9 never leaves the silly cutesy stage, huh

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I finished the main plot of DQB2 last night and I would seriously inconvenience an adorable puppy to get DQB3 on PC where a small army of dedicated modders could turn this thing upside down.

It's so close to great (who was expecting a fun story on this one?) and really its only flaw is being tied to this static sandbox. I'd pay money to pay DQ4 or DQ5 right in this engine, or to have procedurally generated towns and cities to gradually open up more and more of the game.

Also I hate that stupid thing the second island's villagers made me build. It's tacky like everything on their island.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

AFashionableHat posted:

I finished the main plot of DQB2 last night and I would seriously inconvenience an adorable puppy to get DQB3 on PC where a small army of dedicated modders could turn this thing upside down.

It's so close to great (who was expecting a fun story on this one?) and really its only flaw is being tied to this static sandbox. I'd pay money to pay DQ4 or DQ5 right in this engine, or to have procedurally generated towns and cities to gradually open up more and more of the game.

Also I hate that stupid thing the second island's villagers made me build. It's tacky like everything on their island.

Having dedicated keys for each tool, and not overloading tool switching with interact would be very nice, too.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Flavius Aetass posted:

DQ9 never leaves the silly cutesy stage, huh

9's vignettes are pretty dark across the board.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

OddObserver posted:

Having dedicated keys for each tool, and not overloading tool switching with interact would be very nice, too.

But then where would the emotes go???

Iverron
May 13, 2012

AFashionableHat posted:

I'd pay money to pay DQ4 or DQ5 right in this engine

I was thinking about this as I was wrapping up the game. It would be neat to see at the very least DQ1-3 remade in this engine (without the building / creation of course).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Dang, am I really going to have to buy DQ11 again for the switch. The new poo poo sounds badass. New personal story quests for all the characters sounds like a bit much to exclude from the other versions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played through most of DQXI on PS4 and then started up grad school, so it keeps getting pushed back in my backlog. I'm gonna play through the parts I already did on Switch in 16bit mode. It's gonna be great.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

LorneReams posted:

Dang, am I really going to have to buy DQ11 again for the switch. The new poo poo sounds badass. New personal story quests for all the characters sounds like a bit much to exclude from the other versions.

TBH that's why I'm not buying it for the Switch. I would buy it and play it again but I'm not encouraging that kind of lovely behavior towards people who bought and supported the game from the jump.

It doesn't have to be free for PS4/PC players but it shouldn't require a complete restart and playing on a different (and worse, modulo portability--all those load times that people complained about didn't exist on a NVMe SSD) platform.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I gotta be honest, the second isle of awakening area is nice and flat, kind of perfect for a town, so I've -seriously- been considering tearing the [spoiler] pyramid [\spoiler] down.

I have a pet golem to do it and everything. I can just blueprint it and rebuild if I miss it, right?

Also, do the objectives from the various tablets count in all areas? Like can I complete section 1 items in section 2?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Saxophone posted:

I gotta be honest, the second isle of awakening area is nice and flat, kind of perfect for a town, so I've -seriously- been considering tearing the [spoiler] pyramid [\spoiler] down.

I have a pet golem to do it and everything. I can just blueprint it and rebuild if I miss it, right?

Also, do the objectives from the various tablets count in all areas? Like can I complete section 1 items in section 2?

I made the second area my main base of operations but kept the pyramid mostly because it keeps the sand monsters out. You do get the blueprints if you want to build it back later and there's those stone markers on the corners for you to line everything up if needed.

Also yes, I've been completing all sorts of objectives from the tablets in the second area. It's not region locked (thank god).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

AFashionableHat posted:

TBH that's why I'm not buying it for the Switch. I would buy it and play it again but I'm not encouraging that kind of lovely behavior towards people who bought and supported the game from the jump.

I've been holding out for the Switch version ever since the PC release, but I understand why you feel this way and respect your indignancy. Though I'm worried about performance issues on the Switch, I do plan to buy a copy at or near release.

On a lighter note, this...

AFashionableHat posted:

I would seriously inconvenience an adorable puppy to get DQB3 on PC

...genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Lucinice posted:

I have a level 30 Priest because I wanted to get fullheal, should I make them a sage now or wait until they get the spell that heals everyone?

At that point, I'd say hold off until you've you're closer to the endgame and can reliably grind Liquid Metals. Multiheal is extremely useful and will help you against Baramos, but you'll also need lots of MP to use it so cutting that pool in half via class changing might not be the best idea. The last few times I've played DQ3, I've used the Zen Scroll (or whatever it's called now) in the tower by the class-changing shrine to immediately turn a Priest into a Sage (so, lv 20-something). Using it on a Wizard is fine too, but I like to wait until they get Oomph first.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 22, 2019

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I tore mine down because that huge flat land is precious real estate on the island and I don’t regret it.

I’m turning it into a little village with lots of buildings and the fountain from the pyramid as the center. I did attempt to build an underground bar but no matter what I did it wouldn’t register as a room (yet the two tiny rooms beside it with no light fixtures did?) and I got frustrated so I turned the game off for a bit lol. I checked everything, missing blocks in corners, making it smaller in case it was too big, nada.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pentaghastly posted:

I tore mine down because that huge flat land is precious real estate on the island and I don’t regret it.

I’m turning it into a little village with lots of buildings and the fountain from the pyramid as the center. I did attempt to build an underground bar but no matter what I did it wouldn’t register as a room (yet the two tiny rooms beside it with no light fixtures did?) and I got frustrated so I turned the game off for a bit lol. I checked everything, missing blocks in corners, making it smaller in case it was too big, nada.

I've had a room not register cause of a missing block under a corner piece it can be maddening

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Room definitions are weird with vertical space. If you have stairs inside a room going down, it seems like you need a door and walls at the bottom of the stairs to signal a distinct room. Also it seems like you have to fit everything in the 2 block vertical space of a room? In the snow island, there's a throne room with a single set of stairs that raise half of the room by 1. But I had to put things on the wall at the bottom near the floor or they wouldn't register as part of the room. I don't think building up the walls higher than 2 all around made a difference.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Oh I didn't realize the new side quests in the Switch version of DQXI aren't done with the normal party setup, but either alone or with the respective character forming their own crew of characters.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/07/22/dragon-quest-xi-switch-gets-new-story-details

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Flat land is for weak builders.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

an actual dog posted:

I've had a room not register cause of a missing block under a corner piece it can be maddening

If you're talking about the pyramid, apparently a couple of the blocks used to form corners in the interior walls don't count as blocks for the making of rooms. So if you're using the existing pyramid wall as one of your walls, you need to run behind it and tear out the corner blocks.

I had a similar issue and through dumb luck had just been watching a YouTube video on building in the pyramid for ideas and they mentioned it.

Also also, what's everyone's opinions on building your rooms with roofs, as opposed to just sticking with the traditional open top?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
A complaint I had in the first DQB that doesn't seem to be added in 2- is there no targeting/sidestep system (without looking up/down)? Seriously if this had Zelda-style Z-targeting it would make fighting and building so much smoother.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

PantsBandit posted:

Flat land is for weak builders.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Saxophone posted:

Also also, what's everyone's opinions on building your rooms with roofs, as opposed to just sticking with the traditional open top?

I'll put in roofs when they allow me to adjust my camera instead of the game screwing with it at random in cramped spaces.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Hold both look up and down and you will look straight ahead and strafe. You could even do this in the first game :eng101:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I would like a later game to make the walls semi- or completely transparent when inside with the camera outside. The outline is something, but would like more.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The roof should disappear just like the NES games did it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AFashionableHat posted:

This, 100%.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

While we're at it I would like (optional) stairs that teleported you straight up one level complete with the footstep noise. This should, of course, work with the removable roofs.

Seriously how is this so hard

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'd love to gently caress around in Dragon Quest Builders 2 online with goons.

If you want to play, meet me in the #switch room of the Nintengoons discord. (Server link at the top of this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870318 )

Also, definitely looking forward to XI S on switch. :dance:

AFashionableHat posted:

Roof visibility toggle also.

Hokuto posted:

I'll put in roofs when they allow me to adjust my camera instead of the game screwing with it at random in cramped spaces.

I just run around exclusively in first person mode when indoors. :toot:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Added to my metallic monster figurine collection :haw: