Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bows1 posted:

Its a spectacular mission, and one of the most mouth agape levels I've seen in a long time.

I took about 3 years off from the PS4 and then the first game I played back was Horizon: Zero Dawn and when you Get out of the first area and see the desert canyons and get your first glimpse of a Thunderjaw it blew my dang mind and I just stared at the TV for some time

drat I really should play it again

HZD was my first Ps4 game and every time I would walk around for a while just looking at stuff before going back to whatever quest I was supposed to be doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Also am I missing something on the Giant Bomb site? Someone in this thread they like giant Bomb for game news but it seems to just be "Community" articles and a podcast nothing else?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
They maybe meant the news from the bombcast, its not what you'd call a news reporting site really, more videos of new releases and podcasts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think I've ever explored GB beyond the quick looks. A 2+ hour podcast is way beyond what I could handle.

Why is there a containment thread? Is there something terrible about it I'm not aware of?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

I don't think I've ever explored GB beyond the quick looks. A 2+ hour podcast is way beyond what I could handle.

Why is there a containment thread? Is there something terrible about it I'm not aware of?

It had to be quarantined because it attracted an even worse collection of posters than Dota.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

bows1 posted:

Also am I missing something on the Giant Bomb site? Someone in this thread they like giant Bomb for game news but it seems to just be "Community" articles and a podcast nothing else?

I said something to the exact opposite effect. Giant Bomb is primarily a source of entertainment, imo. It's game industry personalities playing video games in a pretty casual setting. They don't really curate news or articles. Hell they very rarely even do a review. They're more about producing media content.

Personally, I just hit Gamespot's news page anytime I want to catch up on the latest announcements and developments in games. They're pretty up to the minute.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

man nurse posted:

I said something to the exact opposite effect. Giant Bomb is primarily a source of entertainment, imo. It's game industry personalities playing video games in a pretty casual setting. They don't really curate news or articles. Hell they very rarely even do a review. They're more about producing media content.

Personally, I just hit Gamespot's news page anytime I want to catch up on the latest announcements and developments in games. They're pretty up to the minute.

Apologies I must have misunderstood.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Death Stranding the video game will inevitably disappoint some people. Death Stranding the social media experiment where Hideo Kojima got $100 million from Sony to make Mads Mikkelsen be his friend has already delivered.

:hai:

Gripweed posted:

or full of cockroaches

Having worked at a shop that bought used consoles circa 2010 I can confirm that this is a thing.

Rinkles posted:

I'm still astounded he'll be done with it so quickly.

Well as we've seen he didn't have to populate the world with anything of consequence, so basically the same game dev strategy as MGSV but 5 times faster

veni veni veni posted:

MGS4 came out in mid 2008 so there was nearly 8.5 years between 4 and 5. Was Kojima productions just not working on anything for 4 years?

Edit: Oh I guess they might have just been working on Peace Walker, but that was still 2010.

Peace Walker, Transfarring, Fox Engine, and P.T.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Say I wanted to make my PS4 Pro sound a little less like a jet engine. What kind of cooling mod should I go for?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neo Rasa posted:

I wish they called it Portable Ops 2 though so we could still abbreviate it as POOPS.

In college I took a course called Processes for Object-Oriented Programming, and object-oriented programming is already commonly abbreviated as OOP, so you already know what absolutely everybody called that class

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bows1 posted:

I find Giant Bomb to be impenetrable at this point. I used to listen to their podcast years ago but got annoyed with how little content they packed into 3 hours a week . It was mostly just rambling and then the one guy that was even remotely charismatic died and it turned into 4 boring dudes being boring. Then their "quick looks" are also like 2 hours long. Maybe there's a type of person Giant Bomb is for but it's not me man.

Take that with a grain of salt though, because I think every single gaming podcast is terrible at this point.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smol posted:

Say I wanted to make my PS4 Pro sound a little less like a jet engine. What kind of cooling mod should I go for?

You trade it for the more recent model

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Samuringa posted:

HZD was my first Ps4 game and every time I would walk around for a while just looking at stuff before going back to whatever quest I was supposed to be doing

HZD on a 4K HDR TV was what caused me to go, "Welp, I guess this is what video games look like now. :stare:"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I find Giant Bomb to be impenetrable at this point. I used to listen to their podcast years ago but got annoyed with how little content they packed into 3 hours a week . It was mostly just rambling and then the one guy that was even remotely charismatic died and it turned into 4 boring dudes being boring. Then their "quick looks" are also like 2 hours long. Maybe there's a type of person Giant Bomb is for but it's not me man.

Take that with a grain of salt though, because I think every single gaming podcast is terrible at this point.

A very good friend of mine listens to all the bombcast and premium stuff. He's a busy dude who makes way more money than I do and buys a fuckton of videogames, but he plays each game to maybe the 10% marker and then bows out. Different strokes for different folks. I think he listens to the bombcast stuff while commuting a lot and he likes to be hyped and in-tune with poo poo that makes him nostalgic, but he's usually pretty informed, too, so I guess there is a news value to the thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

be still my beating heart

https://www.lacedrecords.com/products/bloodborne-deluxe-double-vinyl

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t even have a place for the Mort Garson album I just got in the mail! No more temptations!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Smol posted:

I traded in my PS4 Pro for the bundle that came with RDR2 because Sony finally acknowledged this was a problem and did something to fix it. It was 100% worth it, the new model is like 10x quieter. I think Digital Foundry even did a video testing the noise difference.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I think I have a launch Pro. It's situated in a wide open space, but anytime the room is even a little warm the thing loving goes. Like it's so loud that at several points I considered that maybe I shouldn't be playing it for fear of something breaking.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I cleaned out the fans on my PS4 Pro and it helped a lot with the noise. You could try that first, it's real easy.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

qbert posted:

I traded in my PS4 Pro for the bundle that came with RDR2 because Sony finally acknowledged this was a problem and did something to fix it. It was 100% worth it, the new model is like 10x quieter. I think Digital Foundry even did a video testing the noise difference.

Interesting, I had no idea there was a newer model, never mind that it was any different. I'll have to investigate this further.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man nurse posted:

Yeah I think I have a launch Pro. It's situated in a wide open space, but anytime the room is even a little warm the thing loving goes. Like it's so loud that at several points I considered that maybe I shouldn't be playing it for fear of something breaking.

Nah its fine. the console has an emergency kill switch below the temperature it would be damaged at

It bsod's and says ps4 is too hot, please turn it off.

My launch pro is loud but i fixed it...with noise cancel headphones :(

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 22, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smol posted:

Interesting, I had no idea there was a newer model, never mind that it was any different. I'll have to investigate this further.

Cuh-7200 tops out at 44db
Cuh-7000 rarely drops below 50 lmao :suicide:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Smol posted:

You can start by checking out this article and the embedded video they did inside it. I would say it's even quieter than the article makes it out to be. My old Pro was also jet engine loud and made me scared it was going to explode or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ordered as soon as I saw what the link was.

Goat game.

Goat soundtrack.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Crows Turn Off posted:

I cleaned out the fans on my PS4 Pro and it helped a lot with the noise. You could try that first, it's real easy.

Just to post a different perspective I cleaned out all the fans on mine and God of War and Days Gone still make it sound like a jet engine so I guess YMMV.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also loudness is completely subjective, both in a perceptual and a "hardware" sense. Alternately some people have other equipment going in or around their house all the time that can drown out that level of sound, maybe without even realizing it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rad Valtar posted:

Just to post a different perspective I cleaned out all the fans on mine and God of War and Days Gone still make it sound like a jet engine so I guess YMMV.

Yeah i popped the top and there was zero dust so its just a lovely design

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah i popped the top and there was zero dust so its just a lovely design

Consoles aren’t designed or built in places with pet hair or people smoking

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mark cerny petting his persian cat tamping down a fresh pack

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Goat game.

Goat soundtrack.

No DLC... they're missing the best track...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My Pro is well out of warranty, so I'm gonna replace the thermal paste and thermal pads and then undergo self-hypnosis to convince myself that it's quieter now

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think he listens to the bombcast stuff while commuting a lot

Yeah I commute two hours a day four days a week so that's my primary use for the Giantbomb stuff

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

acksplode posted:

then undergo self-hypnosis to convince myself that it's quieter now

this is the best way to fix things.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I like both Bombcast and Beastcast, though I think the latter is a bit better, primarily because Vinny and Alex carry a lot of the charisma of the whole company. There's not a person that I don't enjoy on the current team but Vinny, Alex, and Jeff Gerstmann are the most interesting people to listen to (excluding Dan because he's just buck loving wild), between their natural charisma and their experiences in the industry.

The company does also have the second best Dragon Ball podcast, which is nice.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I like both Bombcast and Beastcast, though I think the latter is a bit better, primarily because Vinny and Alex carry a lot of the charisma of the whole company. There's not a person that I don't enjoy on the current team but Vinny, Alex, and Jeff Gerstmann are the most interesting people to listen to (excluding Dan because he's just buck loving wild), between their natural charisma and their experiences in the industry.

Yeah Dan is kind of insane. I'd honestly listen to a podcast of just Jeff and Brad, but I do enjoy the current formats of both. I think Abbey and Ben are easily the least interesting and entertaining of the whole bunch. Like, during the Game of the Year discussions, things got loving wild at times (RDR2 being one of the Top 10 games of the year but also Most Disappointing game) and those two hardly said a word the whole time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No DLC... they're missing the best track...

Not sure if the DLC tracks are even sold anywhere. They're definitely not included on most of the soundtracks for BB, but they're out there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Goat game.

Goat soundtrack.

Let me know if the poster that comes with it is cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Let me know if the poster that comes with it is cool.

I'll let you know in like three months when it ships :allears:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RareAcumen posted:

The Completionist continues to be light years ahead of us with his rating scale of Complete it, Finish it, Play it, Look at it, Avoid it

That way we can put all of Nintendo's work for the last 17 years in the avoid section where it belongs and stick Shadow of the Colossus on Complete it as things should be. Either Nintendo continues to be mediocre or they start putting in some loving effort for once.

They won't

Yeah I mean if nothing else you can definitely call Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild lazy

*does jerk off motion so vigorously that hand flies off into sub-orbital space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I know I rag a lot on the hot takes that fly around in this thread, but god drat.