Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Eh, it'd change the Borg to just entirely different. They're a force of nature that doesn't need to do that because they don't care. They're not playing politics or stealth takeovers. That's just not a level they need to bother to operate on. Your only hope is, if you have something they want, to be slightly too irritating to be worth it.

I feel like doing something like that would be... lowering them to the level of everyone else. The Borg are best treated like a distant elder god and the Romulans messing with the cube are like that hapless secret project that exists in countless stories that's messing with things beyond their understanding and brings disaster down on all.

I can at least see it as a plausible direction the Borg might take, in the sense that they are nearly infinitely adaptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The ship has regrettably long since sailed on the unknowable mystique of the Borg. In fact it has basically warped the motherfuck out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

Or in Enterprise when suddenly they start screening weekly pulp movies in the mess hall like it's an episode of M*A*S*H or something.
Don’t forget water polo matches

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ugh they got the Israeli lady from Nightflyers in Picard and it's going to be so distracting whenever she's on-screen. That show had so much potential and nosedived so hard it's left lingering trauma associated with all the people who were in it.

It doesn't help she's got basically the exact same haircut and outfit in both shows.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’ve never really been much of a Star Trek fan, but for some reason I’m excited about the Picard show. But I’ve only ever seen a handful of TNG and TOS episodes (enough to know the main players and how they relate to each other), I’ve seen the first two TNG movies, and I don’t know anything about Voyager or DS9.

To try and rectify that with an eye towards not being lost when I watch Picard (next year wtf), I’ve gone through a bunch of the internet’s “best of Picard” lists to cobble together a super-best-of-Picard list. I also put in all the Borg episodes I could find since it seems they will have a big presence in the show as well.

Here’s where I need the internet’s help. First, is there anything missing from this list? Or anything on it that really shouldn’t be there?

Encounter at Farpoint (S01E01&E02)

The Battle (S01E09)

The Big Goodbye (S01E12)

Conspiracy (S01E25)

Where Silence Has Lease (S02E02)

Measure of a Man (S02E09)

Q Who (S02E16)

Samaritan Snare (S02E17)

Who Watches the Watchers (S03E04)

Yesterday’s Enterprise (S03E15)

Allegiance (S03E18)

Captain’s Holiday (S03E19)

Menage a Trois (S03E24)

The Best of Both Worlds (S03E26/S04E01)

Family (S04E02)

QPid (S04E20)

The Drumhead (S04E21)

Redemption (S04E26)

Darmok (S05E02)

Disaster (S05E05)

Conundrum (S05E14)

I Borg (S05E23)

The Inner Light (S05E25)

Chain of Command (S06 E10&11)

Tapestry (S06E15)

Starship Mine (S06E18)

Descent (S0626 & S0701)

Gambit Pts 1&2 (S07 E04&05)

Phantasms (S07E06)

Attached (S07E08)

All Good Things (S07E25&26)

The Four TNG Movies

Second, what would be a comparable list for Voyager? I’m only including Voyager because Seven of Nine was in the Picard trailer, but I really don’t know the first thing about Voyager so I wouldn’t know what to search for. I assume I’m looking for a Best of Voyager list with an emphasis toward 7 of 9 episodes and Borg episodes? What about DS9? Did they have any Borg episodes? Are either of those shows even worth watching?

S2e13 Time Squared has twice as many Picards as most episodes

S3e13 deja Q

S3e17 sins of the Father has some good picarding on the Klingon homeworld Q'onoS

S3e23 sarek events in this episode change Picard forever

S4e5 remember me

S4e7 reunion has some context for redemption, an episode on your list

S4e12 the wounded

S4e14 clues is one of my favorite episodes

S5e7 and e8 unification feature Picard on Romulus, seems like it will be relevant

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just watched Darmok again and it's a fantastic episode. 3 things:

1) it was the longest episode of TNG, maybe all of Star Trek, to produce (2 years)

2) of COURSE Rick Berman hated the premise and tried to kill it

3) nitpick, but I don't think the Tamarians should have been close to destroying the flagship of the Federation. It's should have been the other way round. Their ship looked poo poo in comparison

Edit: Shaka, when the walls fell

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 22, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Had a chance to watch the teaser, and it's exactly what I was expecting. Non-stop references and cameos, with by the book action sequences.The writers are hoping with enough nostalgia, viewers will just overlook what by all accounts is going to be a very boring and poorly thought out show that will be canceled as quickly as it came into existence.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I want to know more about romulan legolas.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

I would ditch Decent and add Redemption II and Unification I and II, the Phoenix, and the First Duty.

corn in the bible posted:

There are a fair number of borg episodes in voyager, but the show as a whole is pretty bad and quite dull for the most part. If you watch a lot of TNG and want More Star Trek, well, that's basically the entire reason Voyager exists, but barring that it's not really worth your time

Angry Salami posted:

Seven of Nine/Borg focused Voyager list:

Man, I'm glad Discovery's gone back to TOS style overly-florid episode titles. Looking at a list of bland one-word titles and trying to remember what the episode was about is no fun...

Mooseontheloose posted:

You may want to add the Defector and the Neutral Zone to the list to get some Romulus flavor that involved Picard.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

more picard episodes

Thanks for all the input! I probably won't remove any episodes from the list since I've got plenty of time, but this is a great roadmap to get me going.

Regarding the Voyager list, will I really not be lost if I just watch the Pilot and then skip ahead to season 03 episode 17?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

"I hate this! It is revolting!"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shart Carbuncle posted:

But enough about Netflix's Witcher, this is a thread about Star Trek: Picard Day.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Drone posted:

"I hate this! It is revolting!"

Brent Spiner IS Charlie Kirk!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shart Carbuncle posted:

He's for "the ladies". Actual ladies will become sexually obsessed instead with some weird gremlin (see: how hot tumblr is for Quark)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thanks for all the input! I probably won't remove any episodes from the list since I've got plenty of time, but this is a great roadmap to get me going.

Regarding the Voyager list, will I really not be lost if I just watch the Pilot and then skip ahead to season 03 episode 17?

rick berman wanted to avoid having any continuity ever because it might affect syndication. so here's the deal: the world's most boring spaceship crew is trapped in a faraway part of space. also with them is a hologram doctor and neelix the pedophile clown.

now you're caught up.

e: i'm obviously being flippant but seriously nothing important ever happens

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 22, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pick posted:

He's for "the ladies". Actual ladies will become sexually obsessed instead with some weird gremlin (see: how hot tumblr is for Quark)

I dunno, I'm not a lady but Santiago Cabrera is playing a character in this series so I know who I'm gonna be crushing on.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

I really want Riker to be in command of a Galaxy Class ship in Picard and then saves the day by charging in and rescuing them at some point and we have nostalgia-cam where they step onto the bridge and soft music plays as we pan around an upgraded bridge set and everything

I want this but it should be an old piece of poo poo one since it's been a long time since those came out.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

I want this but it should be an old piece of poo poo one since it's been a long time since those came out.

Only if we get a Trek ripoff of that scene in Master & Commander where Maturin calls the Surprise an old ship, and Aubrey says "nah man, she's in her prime."

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The news kept warning about the dangers of Big Data, but I never thought they meant it like this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So, the episode Sub Rosa is "The entirety of Beverly's family has been haunted by a sex-ghost". How very torchwood.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

So, the episode Sub Rosa is "The entirety of Beverly's family has been haunted by a sex-ghost". How very torchwood.

yeah it owns

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BioEnchanted posted:

You forgot the part where Data and Geordi fix up an old weather control system! :v:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You forgot the part where Data and Geordi fix up an old weather control system! :v:

And Groundskeeper Willie.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

BioEnchanted posted:

Yep, it kinda sounds like a Chuck Tingle plot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If we're listing minor things that really bug us from the trailer, for me its the shots of earth where it just looks like modern day California. In TNG they have no idea what "automobiles" and "Televisons" are, yet every little glimpse of cities we see they look just like today but with some future stuff on top. After the stuntwork on the stairs it shows the skyline of what look like bog standard american suburban sprawl. And again a really modern looking corner retail unit full of TV's and a curb and street straight out of the 20th century.

From all the buildings and outdoor shots it looks like this could be a generic scifi action movie set in the year 2030 or something, not trek's far-future utopian earth.

"We took some generic california suburbs and convention centres and slapped some UFP flags on em... yeah good enough"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

We don't have storefronts with TVs in them now, but they're gonna make a comeback in 200 years?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
None of us know because we haven't watched it yet, but that could be somebody's hobby and it's like an antique curiosities shop

It's not like it's a retail store in any meaningful sense

Or it's just moronic bullshit. Time will tell

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The fact that there's going to be a fuckin' HUGH callback in the new show gives me tiny hopes that someone involved has actually watched TNG. The whole problem is that all post-VOY (or even post DS9 really) Trek has seemingly been made for and by people who don't really like or care about Star Trek.

Like you stick 7 of 9 in there because she was a massive popular ratings ploy that worked (and she ended up being of the better characters and actors), you throw a reference to captain picard day for those "hardcore trekkies" that remember such an obscure thing, you roll out TNG guest stars so we can all clap and smile. But calling back Hugh? And actually getting the same actor? No one but actual trek nerds would remember or give a poo poo about that. That's the sort of detail someone who maybe has a tiny shred of respect for the franchise and its audience might do...

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 22, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Drone posted:

Just wait until you get to Voyager trotting it out again as Tom Paris becomes oddly obsessed with twentieth-century America in a vain effort to make his character more interesting I guess.

Or in Enterprise when suddenly they start screening weekly pulp movies in the mess hall like it's an episode of M*A*S*H or something.

Hahaha no silly HE'S funny face

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bloop posted:

None of us know because we haven't watched it yet, but that could be somebody's hobby and it's like an antique curiosities shop

It's not like it's a retail store in any meaningful sense

Or it's just moronic bullshit. Time will tell

The whole premise of Star Trek is bullshit that doesn't make sense, who cares

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Bloop posted:

Explains why they're playing the Picard interview.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

skasion posted:

The ship has regrettably long since sailed on the unknowable mystique of the Borg. In fact it has basically warped the motherfuck out.

Yeah I always liked the idea of the borg as galactic farmers - they send single cubes at empires and send any data gathered or technology assimilated back to the collective before the cube is destroyed. It explains why the borg have thousands of cubes but only sent a single cube at Earth during both "attacks". The idea was never to assimilate Earth - it was to harvest the newest Federation technology, and then allow the Federation a decade or two to invent stronger tech before harvesting again.

Of course Voyager hosed all of that up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As of BoBW you can even think of Borg as viruses. A cube harvests a planet for resources (biological, natural, and technological), makes a bunch of cubes, and then they go off looking for new planets. I, Borg solidifies the idea that the Borg are a unified civilization iirc.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Yeah I always liked the idea of the borg as galactic farmers - they send single cubes at empires and send any data gathered or technology assimilated back to the collective before the cube is destroyed. It explains why the borg have thousands of cubes but only sent a single cube at Earth during both "attacks". The idea was never to assimilate Earth - it was to harvest the newest Federation technology, and then allow the Federation a decade or two to invent stronger tech before harvesting again.

Of course Voyager hosed all of that up.

That's not an idea I've heard before, but I like it. I suppose it's not too different to their first depiction in Q Who where they were only interested in technology, not people. It also kind of ties into the ambiguity in that episode as to whether or not the Borg were just a single cube rather than an entire civilisation.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

So my thinking is that the girl is a borg who has been de-borgified, and like Hugh before her, seeing 'Locutus' gave her a sense of home. Or something.

Maybe she has borg implants that don't look like implants at all! She's the ultimate evolution of martial arts borg: she's human.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I dunno, I'm with the thought that she's a Borg, but instead of having all the Borg hardware forcibly implanted into her body and supplanting some of her natural functions, she got Borg nanoprobes that function about the same as mitochondria do in our bodies. A symbiosis between humanoid flesh and Borg technology.

I think I asked in either this or another Star Trek-related thread if there was another race that had cybernetics integrated into their biology like that.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Probably the closest is the Bynars, although they still had visible implants

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Speculation spoiled because of a casting announcement that hasn't made as many headlines.

Since Hugh is coming back, it's almost certainly going to be something to do with the Borg that became individuals in Descent. My guess is that after Voyager cutoff the Borg's access to the alpha quadrant, the question became what to do about the Borg that were stranded. Romulus must have raided some of the tech (we know because of the Narada) and now view that tech as paramount importance to keep their species alive. The Federation decided to turn a blind eye to that since the Romulans were no serious threat anymore and it solved the Borg problem. But Romulans didn't stop at disconnected Borg, they decided to go after the growing group of individual Borg lead by Hugh. Picard didn't like that and argued that they should be protected just like any other race, but the Federation stated that they weren't a race, only a scattered group of different individual species that they couldn't police and had no business interfering with. Besides, most could live without their implants anyways so the Romulans were doing them a favor.

This girl, I'm guessing, is the first true Borg offspring from the individual group. She wasn't assimilated at a young age. She wasn't grown as a normal baby and then immediately augmented with cybernetics. She was born with nanoprobes as part of her bodily systems. She IS a new species and the future of the individual Borg. The Romulans want her since she proves they are genociding a group of people by scavenging tech and the Federation doesn't want to wade into intervening with the Romulans after what happened the last time (homeworld went boom.) Data is brought back as an expert witness due to his experience in "Measure of a Man" in establishing the standards of new life.

If that's what it ends up being, there's potential there for good story with some decent contemporary allegory.

:agreed: This would own.

They had me at "Untitled Picard Show" but having a substantive plot that advanced the universe and had modern allegory would be the cellular peptide icing on the cake.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's mint! :argh:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the ships in the Picard trailer are probably Romulan Valdore-type warbirds:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hey
What if

The girl has something to do with Control :mrgw: