Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I got like two pages into it and it was all about how sad Al Franken was. And the whole thing was really long so I called it quits
jane mayer is an excellent writer and researcher and it deserves your time if you want to talk about it!

Chilichimp posted:

I read the article. What's your point?
i guess we should take this to a thread that isn't about the presidential primary, but

quote:

the strongest argument that can be made for Franken is he's on the Biden-end of the creep scale, not the Trump-end
isn't the thrust of the article. mayer makes a really convincing case that the primary allegation against him was a hit job, and the rest are, at best, flimsy in their content and suspicious in their context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cerebral Bore posted:

Ah yes, the massive voting bloc of people who'll never have to worry about a medical bill or their deductible or insurance premiums ever again but suddenly realize on election day that they had a somewhat different opinion once are sure going to throw out the people who massively improved their lives.
Once it's fully rolled out, it's locked in yeah. The period before it gets locked in would be where you're super vulnerable to backlash. I hope we can pull it off, it's just annoying that voters are as dumb as that poll shows.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

jane mayer is an excellent writer and researcher and it deserves your time if you want to talk about it!

i guess we should take this to a thread that isn't about the presidential primary, but

isn't the thrust of the article. mayer makes a really convincing case that the primary allegation against him was a hit job, and the rest are, at best, flimsy in their content and suspicious in their context

Imagine defending Al Franken still.

Dude conducted himself extremely poorly, and doesn't deserve a public servant position. Full loving Stop.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Imagine defending Al Franken still.

Dude conducted himself extremely poorly, and doesn't deserve a public servant position. Full loving Stop.
do you have a response to the specific points made in the article? (on second thought I guess this does belong here because a lot of it is about gillibrand)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

do you have a response to the specific points made in the article? (on second thought I guess this does belong here because a lot of it is about gillibrand)

No, I didn't read it, and I am not going to read it. I just can't waste anymore time on Al loving Franken or people that care about why he's no longer in the senate.

He's gone, he needed to go, and now we can forget about him.

The people getting mad at Gillibrand are worse than the people still defending Franken. None of them are allies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No, I didn't read it, and I am not going to read it. I just can't waste anymore time on Al loving Franken or people that care about why he's no longer in the senate.

He's gone, he needed to go, and now we can forget about him.

The people getting mad at Gillibrand are worse than the people still defending Franken. None of them are allies.
thanks for admitting you haven't read it and you aren't going to read it, and that you don't want to waste any more time on al franken! now you can stop posting about al franken, and arguing with people who actually did their loving homework, and this includes about gillibrand, who appears to have used the situation for political gain pretty straightforwardly

now that we have that out of the way, is there anyone who wants to talk about the specific assertions made in the article, or is this just going to be one long primal reeeeeeeeee with fingers-in-the-ears of "gillibrand right, franken sexpest"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 22, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

thanks for admitting you haven't read it and you aren't going to read it, and that you don't want to waste any more time on al franken! now you can stop posting about al franken, and arguing with people who actually did their loving homework, and this includes about gillibrand, who appears to have used the situation for political gain pretty straightforwardly

Heaven forbid someone does the right thing for political gain.

I went and read the piece and i feel exactly the same way i felt before reading it, but i now have wasted 5-10 minutes.

What exactly are you looking to get out of this discussion, as the article does not exactly present anything new.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

i expected that people in this forum would not actually read about the article but post about it anyway, and that's exactly what i got lol

oh sorry for not adequately providing a 10k word critique of the dogshit apologia being published in the new yorker that i read earlier this morning, i didn't realize that forums user kotex god of blood would be collecting book reports.

was.

past tense.

let's trace jane mayer's career blowing the lid open on american torture programs (plural), to digging up dirt on the kochs, and then ending up at a new yorker piece about how franken only had 7 accusers (and only 2 of them after he took his seat in the senate, so it's not that bad if you think about it). drat, what happened?

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 22, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Heaven forbid someone does the right thing for political gain.

I went and read the piece and i feel exactly the same way i felt before reading it, but i now have wasted 5-10 minutes.
wow, you sure are a fast reader! you managed to read all 12,464 words in between 5 and 10 minutes, for an average speed of 1,246.4 words per minute. an average college student would take 41 and a half minutes to read the article. positively superhuman!!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What exactly are you looking to get out of this discussion, as the article does not exactly present anything new.
a small sample:

- some of the most significant specific assertions by tweeden – like that franken had written the piece specifically for her so he could kiss her – are provably, documented false, just straight up lies
- individuals advanced to corroborate hers (and others') claims somehow seem always to be out of reach, whereas numerous individuals can corroborate franken's side of the story
- the carefully crafted rollout was orchestrated by a cohort of top conservative shitbags including roger stone and sean hannity to appear like a reliable story from an unbiased source, in order to provide rhetorical cover for their willingness to handwave roy moore's pedophilia
- at pretty much no stage did anyone attempt to fact check any of the allegations, and the process that would have turned up many of the facts revealed in the article which point to franken being possibly innocent of the claims was cut off by gillibrand, who led the charge to make him immediately resign without any investigation, in an attempt to bolster her own bonafides on the broader issue, including by puffing up a bill to prohibit mandatory arbitration of sexual harrassment claims which franken drafted and gave her

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Once it's fully rolled out, it's locked in yeah. The period before it gets locked in would be where you're super vulnerable to backlash. I hope we can pull it off, it's just annoying that voters are as dumb as that poll shows.

First of all, political identity means that virtually anything you try to do will get one side on board and the other against it. Medicare for some will get the same backlash as medicare for all in terms of passing congress.

Second, the popularity of a program then is decided by how they materially affect people's lives. There's a reason republicans cant come out and just cut medicaid expansion and have to try to do it via things like work requirements, because its a popular program to just say you want to cut. Meanwhile, the mandate will always remain unpopular no matter how much you explain it to people.

Third, measuring popularity of complex policies through polls is going to be impossible. It's obvious that in the poll linked, which frames it entirely as a matter of choice, the one that provides more choice will be more popular. "Hey, this one you gotta get medicare and this one you can get medicare or something else" is obviously going to be more popular, because it presents it simply as a matter of choice. Now, frame it as a matter of cost, as one where medicare buy in is 10% of your income, and if you don't get that or a private insurance you have to pay a penalty, versus just paying a little more in taxes and getting it no matter what, and let's see what happens.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

wow, you sure are a fast reader! you managed to read all 12,464 words in between 5 and 10 minutes, for an average speed of 1,246.4 words per minute. an average college student would take 41 and a half minutes to read the article. positively superhuman!!

a small sample:

- some of the most significant specific assertions by tweeden – like that franken had written the piece specifically for her so he could kiss her – are provably, documented false, just straight up lies
- individuals advanced to corroborate hers (and others') claims somehow seem always to be out of reach, whereas numerous individuals can corroborate franken's side of the story
- the carefully crafted rollout was orchestrated by a cohort of top conservative shitbags including roger stone and sean hannity to appear like a reliable story from an unbiased source, in order to provide rhetorical cover for their willingness to handwave roy moore's pedophilia
- at pretty much no stage did anyone attempt to fact check any of the allegations, and the process that would have turned up many of the facts revealed in the article which point to franken being possibly innocent of the claims was cut off by gillibrand, who led the charge to make him immediately resign without any investigation, in an attempt to bolster her own bonafides on the broader issue, including by puffing up a bill to prohibit mandatory arbitration of sexual harrassment claims which franken drafted and gave her

So are you going to write in Al Franken for the primary ballot, or what?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Phone posted:

oh sorry for not adequately providing a 10k word critique of the dogshit apologia being published in the new yorker that i read earlier this morning, i didn't realize that forums user kotex god of blood would be collecting book reports.
god forbid you should actually have to sit down and read something in case someone holds you accountable for talking a lot of poo poo about something you deliberately don't know about? no time for "reading" "words", gotta post post post

Phone posted:

was.

past tense.

let's trace jane mayer's career blowing the lid open on american torture programs (plural), to digging up dirt on the kochs, and then ending up at a new yorker piece about how franken only had 7 accusers (and only 2 of them after he took his seat in the senate, so it's not that bad if you think about it). drat, what happened?
do you see how boasting about not reading something and then creating a laughably wrong summary of it in the very same post might make you seem less than credible

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So are you going to write in Al Franken for the primary ballot, or what?
im just here to debate and discuss, son

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a loving photograph of Al Franken pretending to grope an unconscious woman, and that's one of the women who accused him of being inappropriate

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

god forbid you should actually have to sit down and read something in case someone holds you accountable for talking a lot of poo poo about something you deliberately don't know about? no time for "reading" "words", gotta post post post

do you see how boasting about not reading something and then creating a laughably wrong summary of it in the very same post might make you seem less than credible

im just here to debate and discuss, son

It seems more like you are interested in re-litigating whether 8 accusations of sexual misconduct is an appropriate amount for a public servant. Is 10 your cutoff? Mine's 1.

https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/1153413917198245888

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

There's a loving photograph of Al Franken pretending to grope an unconscious woman, and that's one of the women who accused him of being inappropriate
i think she handles this pretty fairly:

quote:

The U.S.O. skit didn’t end with the kissing scene. In a coda, Franken appears as a doctor who has just had “a cancellation” in his appointment schedule. Tweeden’s character is informed that “a woman your age should have a complete breast examination every year”; Franken then approaches her with his arms outstretched and his hands aimed at her chest. The script calls for Tweeden’s character to protest, “Al! At ease!” Franken, with a dirty-old-man nod to the audience, replies, “I’m afraid it’s a little too late for that.”

The joke was not memorable, yet when Shajn Cabrera saw the 2006 photograph of Franken on the plane, approaching Tweeden’s chest with his arms outstretched, he immediately recalled the “Dr. Franken” skit. Cabrera had been on the plane when the photograph was taken. At the time, he was a special assistant to the Sergeant Major of the Army, who hosts the U.S.O. tours. “I was the one who put the trip together,” Cabrera said. Looking at the photograph, he thought that “it was a hundred per cent in line with that skit when he does the breast exam.” The image, he said, “was not at all malicious.”

It’s understandable that Tweeden objected to Franken’s having reënacted the gag for a photograph while she was asleep. But when she wrote, “How dare anyone grab my breasts like this and think it’s funny?,” she omitted the fact that she had performed the “breast exam” bit multiple times. Metadata from the camera suggests that, contrary to Tweeden’s statement, the image was taken not on Christmas Eve, 2006, as a final taunt, but on December 21st. Photographs of a stage performance the previous day show Franken advancing toward Tweeden with splayed hands as she fends him off with a script, smiling in a winter coat and a Santa Claus hat.

Consenting to an act onstage is not the same as consenting to an act while sleeping. Rebecca Solnit, the writer known, among other things, for identifying the phenomenon of mansplaining, told me, “One of the key things about consent is it’s not blanket consent. The actor playing Romeo doesn’t get to kiss Juliet offstage because it’s in the script that they did onstage.”

Yet Bonnie Turner, a writer who worked with Franken on “S.N.L.,” said of Tweeden, “It showed bad faith, and was really wrongheaded of her, not to say that the skit was something they’d rehearsed and done over and over, night after night.” Cabrera told me that, when he saw the photograph, he felt sure that Franken had just been “goofing around” at the time.
it was indeed crude and unfair to do that while she was sleeping, but conveniently she failed to mention that this was part of a bit they did through multiple performances

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gripweed posted:

yeah, but numbers fuckstein over here has calculated out that there's only a 1.09277 x 10^-7 % chance of being groped (or a pantomimed groping) by former (unjustly) disgraced senator, and comedian, al franken

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
disgraced former comedian al franken

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm not sure that a bunch of Bernie stans should be ragging on KOTEX for stanning Franken.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

it was indeed crude and unfair to do that while she was sleeping, but conveniently she failed to mention that this was part of a bit they did through multiple performances

Dude just stop. Pretending to grope her was not part of their act. You're just justifying disgusting behavior at this point because he has a D next to his name.

Moving on from sexual assault apologia, We re so so so so hosed if the economy stays strong

https://twitter.com/jwpetersNYT/status/1153416613980454914

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 22, 2019

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I kissed Juliet on-stage during a performance so there's no reason to think she'll dislike it while asleep backstage.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Dude just stop. Pretending to grope her was not part of their act. You're just justifying disgusting behavior at this point because he has a D next to his name.

quote:

she omitted the fact that she had performed the “breast exam” bit multiple times...Photographs of a stage performance the previous day show Franken advancing toward Tweeden with splayed hands as she fends him off with a script, smiling in a winter coat and a Santa Claus hat.
are you going to keep saying that you read the whole thing in quadruple time while getting basic things about it wrong, or are you going to take the L and admit you made poo poo up and got called out on it?

look I'm not here to stan for franken. I appreciate getting views from people who disagree with the position that the article ought to change the conversation about gillibrand and franken, actually that's what I came here for, but I also think it's fair to ask that people actually read the loving thing first as opposed to just the tweets about it if they want to make a quality remark about what the article says in substance

papa horny michael posted:

I kissed Juliet on-stage during a performance so there's no reason to think she'll dislike it while asleep backstage.
"hands outstretched towards a flak jacket" isn't quite the same as "i made out with her while she was sleeping," but that doesn't make taking that photo Cool and Okay and i agree that he should have been held accountable for that. an even better way to do that might have been as part of a fair public process untainted by political clown acts. but gillibrand didn't have time for that on the way to becoming president, so

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 22, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think the current summary of thread preferences is as follows:

Bernie > .... > Warren > Giant Meteor > Castro/Booker > Sapient Self Help Book > Third Party > Harris > Trump > Biden

Also Imagine still defending Franken to this day.

Giant Meteor 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

You do know that when you pass a bill you also get to decide when it comes into force, right? As long as you're not Obama Admin levels of self-sabotaging this is the least of the problems here.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

look I'm not here to stan for franken.

:thunk:

quote:

are you going to keep saying that you read the whole thing in quadruple time while getting basic things about it wrong, or are you going to take the L and admit you made poo poo up and got called out on it?

Hmm yes the picture of her sleeping with his hands over her breasts was from a bit! This is the defense needed to make all this go away and bring my senpai back, and punish that nasty kirsten gillibrand for his murder.

Also

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1153421587716157441

Lol

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 22, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Orb queen

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Moving on from sexual assault apologia, We re so so so so hosed if the economy stays strong

Ah yes, the newest "Trump voters not phased by Trump's racism" article. Truly it's the economy keeping the MAGA majority on board.

I'll begin to worry when we start seeing articles about people who didn't vote for him last time talking about how they're totally on board now.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

consent is for cowards, says the person wondering why people are mad at franken

daft
Oct 16, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:thunk:

Hmm yes the picture of her sleeping with his hands over her breasts was from a bit! This is the defense needed to make all this go away and bring my senpai back, and punish that nasty kirsten gillibrand for his murder.

Also

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1153421587716157441

Lol

Haha what a misfire av buy. Noice

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

daft posted:

Haha what a misfire av buy. Noice

Someone needs to pay attention to their Avatar buys a bit better LOL

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

:tinfoil: this is a concerted effort to raise her profile and cut peel voters from Bernie.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Someone needs to pay attention to their Avatar buys a bit better LOL

Fun part is that unless someone fesses up you'll never really know if it was an actual misfire or someone just trying to make you look bad.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Fun part is that unless someone fesses up you'll never really know if it was an actual misfire or someone just trying to make you look bad.

If I made that mistake i'd post about it to get some good laughs. If it was to make me look bad then that's even funnier. I will miss my gently caress Yeah Avatar gifted to me by some other stranger.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

quote:

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/the-coming-economic-crash-and-how-to-stop-it-355703da148b

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

None doubts that there will be another crash. The problem is what if the crash doesn't happen on a schedule beneficial to Democrats in the 2020 election?If the crash comes 12 months from now, eey great for Democrats. But if it doesn't, if it comes, say 18 months from now, well that's not very helpful, is it?

Which is why we need a candidate who can win even without a well timed economic crisis.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
Oh, I don't know, there might be a few people here and there who aren't openly predicting that a recession will occur in 2020 or 2021.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gripweed posted:

None doubts that there will be another crash. The problem is what if the crash doesn't happen on a schedule beneficial to Democrats in the 2020 election?If the crash comes 12 months from now, eey great for Democrats. But if it doesn't, if it comes, say 18 months from now, well that's not very helpful, is it?

Which is why we need a candidate who can win even without a well timed economic crisis.

The best thing would be to win without a downturn and rework the economy to rebuild the nation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bad Titty Puker posted:

Oh, I don't know, there might be a few people here and there who aren't openly predicting that a recession will occur in 2020 or 2021.

as I said, recession in 2021 is meaningless for the outcome of the 2020 election

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
Well, yeah, of course. What I find interesting is that Elizabeth Warren is making a very detailed warning/prediction about a coming recession, and I wonder if she'll follow up on that in the upcoming debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Imagine being stupid enough to think crime tourism is real

This is the main reason people oppose public transport. Your taxes are paying for your next burglary!