Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

paul_soccer10 posted:

shut up nerd bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

paul_soccer10 posted:

shut up nerd bitch

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Villaneuve is a hack, but maybe that'll be okay here. I didnt like his movies because his scripts dont really have actual ideas beyond moodiness, but Frank Herbert's already done all the idea making for this script. Dune's plot is long, full of one weird, highly specific idea after another, and you can't make a Dune movie that's as meandering and dry as br2049.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RipVTide posted:

Villeneuve a talentless hack

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Villeneuve is a talentless hack

Schadenboner posted:

Not empty-quoting this.

DebonaireD posted:

Villaneuve is a hack

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Schadenboner posted:

Not empty-quoting this.

Y'all are loving nuts. Arrival was the best sci-fi movie since Moon, and the story itself is virtually unfilmable. Prisoners was brutal. Sicario was wonderful. 2049 was literally the most anyone could hope for from a Blade Runner sequel, especially one that didn't get made until that long after the original. Saying you don't like his films is one thing. Saying he's a "hack" is just a red-hot spicy take for the purpose of making a red-hot spicy take. You think Roger Deakins works with hacks?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Y'all are loving nuts. Arrival was the best sci-fi movie since Moon, and the story itself is virtually unfilmable. Prisoners was brutal. Sicario was wonderful. 2049 was literally the most anyone could hope for from a Blade Runner sequel, especially one that didn't get made until that long after the original. Saying you don't like his films is one thing. Saying he's a "hack" is just a red-hot spicy take for the purpose of making a red-hot spicy take. You think Roger Deakins works with hacks?

Don't feed them, dude.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

paul_soccer10 posted:

shut up nerd bitch

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

paul_soccer10 posted:

shut up nerd bitch

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Phanatic posted:

Arrival was the best sci-fi movie since Moon.... 2049 was literally the most anyone could hope for from a Blade Runner sequel, especially one that didn't get made until that long after the original.

Maybe the problem is that both of these things are pretty close to true, yet neither film is great. It doesn't help them that the points of comparison, Story of Your Life and Blade Runner, are a lot better.
Still really want to see his Dune.

Dude who thinks Villeneuve is a hack, I have one word for you: McG.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xaintrailles posted:

I'm not going to ask what this means after that whole ligma fiasco

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

"M'Sisters."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What the gently caress is up with the Villeneuve hate today did a GOP cheque not clear at the russian troll farm and they got left to their own devices for the day??

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost

Xaintrailles posted:

Sure I'll bite, what's this?

Phanatic posted:

I'll check out Prisoners and Sicario, but people defending Arrival just confuses me. 2049 I can at least understand the nostalgia factor and the great cinematography. Based on what I've seen, hack is perhaps upselling him, Raymond Chandler was a hack but what a hack he was. Villeneuve is more of a Salieri if anything.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Calling anyone else a hack when Failson and Kevin J Anderson are applicable to the topic at hand seems like trying to paint too broadly

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

RipVTide posted:

The esteemed director of Terminator: Salvation and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, i.e an actual zero-artistic-talent hack.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Sicario is pretty goddamn chuddy to be putting forward as something other than rightist spank-fic IMO?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I want to live in the dimension where movies are so good that you can call Villaneuve a hack with a straight face

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
ITT: people who don’t know what hack means

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The explanation I remember is that films are a commercial art, and hack-work is when the commercial part is obvious and the art part is obscure. What I've seen of Villeneuve did not seem to be pandering or disjointed.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lol is phiz leaking into gbs

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

The explanation I remember is that films are a commercial art, and hack-work is when the commercial part is obvious and the art part is obscure. What I've seen of Villeneuve did not seem to be pandering or disjointed.

The problem is that the brooding, thoughtful sci fi summer film with the deep rumbling soundtrack full of mysterious meaning is itself a commercial set of tropes nowadays, and villaneuve trades in those tropes so successfully that pointing out his films dont have interesting characters or good pacing is enough to get you called a russian troll.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You're allowed to not like things but trying to pass it off as authoritative is dumb bbbb

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Which is to say that Dune is maybe a really good fit for villaneuve! A competent, workmanlike production is what's needed to wrangle a weird, sprawling story. Like how Peter Jackson was a good fit for Lotr.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Feyd exists only to absorb exposition until his arena fight, which works perfectly as the start of part 2: Hammer home the Harkonnen victory, introduce a fresh antagonist, and summarize part 1 during the Baron's conference with Fenring.

Is there a compelling reason to have Feyd (instead of Rabban) repeating "yes, uncle" in the scene where the Baron lays out his plan? Especially since Feyd has nothing to do with the plan, no emotional stake in Arrakis, and isn't part of the attack? And, if I'm right about the arena fight, won't appear again until part 2?

It's Rabban who ruled Arrakis previously, it's Rabban who gets kicked out without knowing why, it's Rabban who'd be most interested to learn about the Emperor's treachery, it's Rabban who gets reinstalled after the Harkonnen victory. I'm sure they'll play up his involvement in the Harkonnen attack too. It makes a ton of sense to have him be the one learning about the plan along with the audience, and to leave Feyd for a part 2 which might not happen.

Yeah, and so why can't Rabban fill ALL the roles of Feyd? Feyd is just evil Paul, and in the book Rabbans only role is to oppress the population so that Feyd will be well-received. This is because Frank wrote Dune about the dangers of heroes.

But in a movie, having too many characters is confusing to the viewers, requires time to introduce them, and requires money to pay the actors. In adaptions there are always composite characters. If you can make one character do the work of two, you are improving both the artistry of the film and it's financial performance.

Also I thought part 2 was confirmed?

exmachina fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 23, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RipVTide posted:

I'll check out Prisoners and Sicario, but people defending Arrival just confuses me. 2049 I can at least understand the nostalgia factor and the great cinematography. Based on what I've seen, hack is perhaps upselling him, Raymond Chandler was a hack but what a hack he was. Villeneuve is more of a Salieri if anything.

:getout:

Schadenboner posted:

Sicario is pretty goddamn chuddy to be putting forward as something other than rightist spank-fic IMO?

You literally have no idea what you're talking about; please spare us future poo poo-tier posts in this thread tia

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

Hear me out, imagine if someone kept calling Kincade 'art', and they just loved the poo poo out of it and couldn't understand why anyone else didn't. Now sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it's just confusing when enough people start getting behind the lukewarm koolaid that you can't see an ounce of talent, message, or depth in. If I tell someone Asimov is facile, even if they love him, they may agree that hey yeah his characters aren't that strong so they'd see where I was coming from (plot twist, Asimov is great). But the level of "OH MY GOD HE'S THE GREATEST EVER NOW LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG. HERE IT IS YOU ARE WRONG. THAT'S ALL I GOT" I notice in Villeneuve fans is straight up weird.

Just because something is pandering to a crowd you may identify with doesn't mean it isn't pandering. Personally I find it extremely pandering and disjointed, not to mention facile. Now that could certainly be because I have awful taste or something, but that's where I'm coming from. So essentially him making a Dune movie after having to suffer through the awful prequels etc just feels like insult on injury. Not that other people can't like it, I was just wondering if I was the only one who thought differently, because it's starting to feel bizarre.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DebonaireD posted:

Which is to say that Dune is maybe a really good fit for villaneuve! A competent, workmanlike production is what's needed to wrangle a weird, sprawling story. Like how Peter Jackson was a good fit for Lotr.

:hmmyes:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So Brian is the my dad owns a dealership guy

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Alot of David Lynch fanboys getting rowdy in here all of a sudden.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

RipVTide posted:

Hear me out, imagine if someone kept calling Kincade 'art', and they just loved the poo poo out of it and couldn't understand why anyone else didn't. Now sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it's just confusing when enough people start getting behind the lukewarm koolaid that you can't see an ounce of talent, message, or depth in. If I tell someone Asimov is facile, even if they love him, they may agree that hey yeah his characters aren't that strong so they'd see where I was coming from (plot twist, Asimov is great). But the level of "OH MY GOD HE'S THE GREATEST EVER NOW LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG. HERE IT IS YOU ARE WRONG. THAT'S ALL I GOT" I notice in Villeneuve fans is straight up weird.

Just because something is pandering to a crowd you may identify with doesn't mean it isn't pandering. Personally I find it extremely pandering and disjointed, not to mention facile. Now that could certainly be because I have awful taste or something, but that's where I'm coming from. So essentially him making a Dune movie after having to suffer through the awful prequels etc just feels like insult on injury. Not that other people can't like it, I was just wondering if I was the only one who thought differently, because it's starting to feel bizarre.

Tldr

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I have not noticed uncritical Villeneuve stans. Did people like the new blade runner that much?

Sicario was not chuddy, though.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Joe Chill posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

I have not noticed uncritical Villeneuve stans. Did people like the new blade runner that much?

On the whole I like 2049 even more than the original. They're both great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RipVTide posted:

You are loving weird and very talented at articulating nothing of relevance with the utmost precision.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Chill posted:

May thy knife chip and shatter

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Villeneuve is a talentless hack. He is technically competent and everything he makes is really slick
Lol “he’s a talentless hack who does really good work.”

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

RipVTide posted:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RipVTide posted:

having to suffer through the awful prequels

Just another day at the sci-fi gulag being forced to read books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dune ended at God Emperor.