Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

either your summary is horrendously wrong or the book is horrendously stupid

• the POWER chip in use at the time the cell and xenon processors were developed was POWER 4, not 7

• architecturally, there ain't poo poo in common between POWER4 or POWER7 vs cell or xenon

• cell and xenon both look pretty much nothing like any POWER or Apache or RS64 chip, ever

all of them, going back to POWER2, in the early 90s, were superscalar. in-order ppc was a weird new thing to ibm at the time

4/7 might be on me i took a guess, but the Cell main core and the 360 shared a lot of resources. sony engineers fixed bugs in the ms product

idk how you’re even trying to pull apache into this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

i'd imagine you could get quite a lot of single-thread performance if you make a die the size of a coaster, fill it with cache, then decide you don't give a poo poo about TDP whatsoever

but yeah your yields will be dogshit and so will your price

this is essentially intel's strategy right now

per some dumb wiki, skylake hcc is ~500 sq mm vs ~700 sq mm for a power9 (which is on a slightly larger feature size!)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

4/7 might be on me i took a guess, but the Cell main core and the 360 shared a lot of resources. sony engineers fixed bugs in the ms product

idk how you’re even trying to pull apache into this

yes, cell and xenon are similar

however, as in-order chips done in a weirdo research group, cell and xenon share almost nothing with the broader family, though

RS64 aka Apache was one of the older ibm microarchitectures that lived side by side with POWER4

does that clear things up?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

i'd imagine you could get quite a lot of single-thread performance if you make a die the size of a coaster, fill it with cache, then decide you don't give a poo poo about TDP whatsoever

but yeah your yields will be dogshit and so will your price

intel at least recognizes that most server farms care a lot more about performance per watt than they do about performance

It makes a lot of sense for big sql db's. When you're paying $7k per core for sql server you're happy to pay big $ to squeeze value out of every one of them.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pointsofdata posted:

It makes a lot of sense for big sql db's. When you're paying $7k per core for sql server you're happy to pay big $ to squeeze value out of every one of them.

This terrible price for sql has been nagging me for a while, ever since we've changed out db from sql to postgres at workplace. We're getting basically the same performance for way less so I'm wondering why you'd pay microsoft all those big bucks

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

animist posted:

also cargo is great but compiling takes so drat long >:?

piss breaks are a feature. i just want better rls support, or maybe i should cave and pay for clion and see if thats any better

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

This terrible price for sql has been nagging me for a while, ever since we've changed out db from sql to postgres at workplace. We're getting basically the same performance for way less so I'm wondering why you'd pay microsoft all those big bucks

what you pay for is

1) first party maintenance of all batteries, which come included
2) bureaucratic compatibility of your rmdbs with pretty much anything anywhere meaningful, both in terms of various certification checkboxes and availability of “clean” consultants
3) some legit technical extras (that don’t matter to the majority)

i think usually everyone pays for 2, because if you can afford to pay the price you can also afford to solve 1 and 3 otherwise

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Helicity posted:

piss breaks are a feature. i just want better rls support, or maybe i should cave and pay for clion and see if thats any better

if you just want the completion/refactoring features then you can install intellij and the rust plugin for free

need clion to use the debugger tho

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

SQL Server, well known for running on non-x86 architectures? :shobon:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, cell and xenon are similar

does that clear things up?
idk you can easily google up the story or engage with the actual book, talking down to me in an area you're abjectly ignorant in is a pretty odd choice tho. that you keep saying "cell" and not "ppe" is really odd, kinda makes me think you're not too bothered by the internal details or the right abstraction

here's wiki fuckin pedia on the topic

quote:

The PPE was designed specifically for the Cell processor but during development, Microsoft approached IBM wanting a high performance processor core for its Xbox 360. IBM complied and made the tri-core Xenon processor, based on a slightly modified version of the PPE with added VMX128 extensions.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I thought we were talking about special xenons for some reason. I'd assume the same incentives exist for IBM and Oracle stuff but don't know anything about them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

sql server has run on several non-x86 architectures

sql server was 64 bit before windows itself had 64 bit support

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

I thought we were talking about special xenons for some reason. I'd assume the same incentives exist for IBM and Oracle stuff but don't know anything about them.

xeon = intel's name for anything good
xenon = the weird in-order ppc design in the xbox 360

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sql server has columnstores, temporal tables, change tracking, basic graph support and a good ide. I don't think postgres has any of them but I might be wrong. The real reasons to use it are probably enterprise support and weird AD integration stuff though.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the Power ISA is used a lot in spacecraft because the rad hard processors (rad5500, rad750, and rad6000) are all power based

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

Sql server has columnstores, temporal tables, change tracking, basic graph support and a good ide. I don't think postgres has any of them but I might be wrong. The real reasons to use it are probably enterprise support and weird AD integration stuff though.

ssis and ssrs are worth it on their own.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rust seems like a cool language but the std library is trash

i like batteries included

agreed, when are they adding 2d graphics based on cairo and web_view

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

ssis and ssrs are worth it on their own.

There's a guy at work who always says we should use it but everyone ignores him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

maybe try ssris

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

the Power ISA is used a lot in spacecraft because the rad hard processors (rad5500, rad750, and rad6000) are all power based

thanks that is cool trivia

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:tipshat:

ive never seen any official quotes or pricing information and have never actually worked with the parts, but rumor has it that the flight parts are somewhere in the $250,000-2.5MM per unit range

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

ive never seen any official quotes or pricing information and have never actually worked with the parts, but rumor has it that the flight parts are somewhere in the $250,000-2.5MM per unit range

i assume it's like defense contracting and it's all cost-plus accounting

"well it cost me $6 million to develop this chip, and each chip costs six cents to produce, and we only made two production units ... so that will be three million dollars and six cents per chip."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

that sounds about right for high end radiation-hardened cpus, although it also does depend on what’s your plan for space. if you are sending something to our gas planets or towards sun then i really hope you can pay up - poo poo around are Earth is protected by its magnetosphere, so well that there even are toy projects related to sending micro-nanosatellites with x86 into leo and whereabouts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya getting dumb toys into leo is typically a nice mix of cheap enough to launch there + low stakes if it fails + decent natural shielding that it doesn't really matter and you can use w/e

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i assume it's like defense contracting and it's all cost-plus accounting

"well it cost me $6 million to develop this chip, and each chip costs six cents to produce, and we only made two production units ... so that will be three million dollars and six cents per chip."

it’s not only this but also a pseudo-monopoly so the aerospace bigshots can smugly draw extra 0s after smirking “what are you going to do, develop your own?”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

ya getting dumb toys into leo is typically a nice mix of cheap enough to launch there + low stakes if it fails + decent natural shielding that it doesn't really matter and you can use w/e

you still need to shield stuff, but not as much. and yeah, the stakes are usually some 6.5 to low seven figgies per your proverbial cubesat all inclusive - research, 1-2 engineering models, flight model, launch, ground stations monitoring/support, and salaries for everyone whose primary involvement is the project

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
xilinx has several radiation qualified fpga models too, wouldn’t be surprised if lots of modern space hardware uses them instead of a rad750 or w/e

basically, if you needed the fpga for other reasons (eg to do dsp for software defined radio), and your control software doesn’t need high performance, you can just throw a soft core or two into your fpga instead of designing in a discrete extra part. xilinx’s own microblaze soft core gives you a ~200 MHz 32b risc without using much fpga fabric

it should be noted that despite the hardening and certification for space, designers still have to pay a lot of attention to poo poo like secded ecc for state machine state words, watchdogs which reset the whole shebang if anything goes too far wrong, and so forth. radiation: not great for reliability, who knew

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Falcorum posted:

agreed, when are they adding 2d graphics based on cairo and web_view

same except tkinter

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Progressive JPEG posted:

same except tkinter

tk is actually pretty good. obviously rather antiquated now, has a bunch of old-fashioned x11 cruft that doesn’t really fit with modern desktops, but its core is a lot better thought out than some more “modern” gui frameworks.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
sounds cool does it have react-native bindings?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Flat Daddy posted:

sounds cool does it have react-native bindings?

i'll start the wiki

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

same except tkinter

you missed the joke lmao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

you missed the joke lmao

oh right i forgot about that thing lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
evidently the C++ fools are unsatisfied with trying to cram graphics and web_view into the standard library

now they’re trying to do audio too

animist
Aug 28, 2018
just publish a library lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

now that qt has a fully supported empscripten webassembly+canvas mode i for one am looking forward to the first qt-on-electron-on-the-desktop applications later this year.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

animist posted:

just publish a library lmao

that’s trivial for languages that have any kind of sane support for libraries whatsoever, but lol c++

animist
Aug 28, 2018
between c++ and npm i think we've got a good argument for just giving up on distributing software forever

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

animist posted:

between c++ and npm i think we've got a good argument for just giving up on distributing software forever

*sits you down* do you know the good book of cargo? it will save your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

There's a guy at work who always says we should use it but everyone ignores him.

ive only ever used ssrs once when I had to edit an existing report and it seemed pretty good. SSIS is the best ETL thing by miles.