Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Gotcha. Thank you.

I can't recall Ash ever traveling with an older competent female trainer can you?

Ometeotl posted:

It was the first gen where the trainers were noticeably older.

There’s a first time for everything! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of the BW anime, in the part I'm watching now, Team Rocket seem to have reverted more or less to their previous selves. That includes the part where they try to steal the character of the day's Pokemon with a mech, but I'm OK with them doing that occasionally.

I enjoyed the Elgyem episode. I guess it's partly a rehash of previous episodes involving the Clefairy family, but I liked the character of the day because he's so understated and because we get so much explanation of the details of his work. Usually when we meet a scientist other than the Pokemon Professors, they're the hammy mad scientist type, and there's not much focus on what the Pokemon Professors are actually researching (to the point where it's a running gag that Dawn thinks of Oak as a poet rather than a scientist).

I disliked the Cottonee episode, though. It's a rehash of "Bye Bye Butterfree," but with a random wild Cottonee instead of one of Ash's Pokemon. And what's with Ash being incapable of understanding the concept of romantic love now? More support for the Dialga de-aging hypothesis. The scene with Ash teaching the Cottonee to use Energy Ball and dodge properly was good, though; it shows that, de-aged or not, Ash is a good enough Trainer that a random Pokemon can benefit from a few pointers from him.

A hypothesis is testable, the word you're looking for is wild speculation

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

I'm starting a new game in Pearl to give myself something to do while I breastfeed. I haven't touched that game since it came out and barely remember the Pokemon in that gen; any favorites y'all would recommend?

In my previous playthrough I used Infernape, Weavile, Roserade, Garchomp, Driftblim, and Vaporeon (Vaporeon for life). I'm planning to try out Mismagius and Glaceon (though I understand Glaceon is a terrible Eeveelution) this time around. Maybe Toxicroak?

Anyway! Tell me your favorite Shinnoh Pokemon, goons!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Honchkrow debuted in Sinnoh and remained the best bird in the series until Hawlucha showed up.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I have a hard time remembering which new evos for old pokemon are available before postgame because diamond and pearl’s pokedex is astoundingly bad

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
mismagius and honchkrow have some of the best hats next to ludicolo

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Lazy_Liberal posted:

mismagius and honchkrow have some of the best hats next to ludicolo

Mimikyu has the best hat. We've just never seen what is wearing the hat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

evolving perfect precious child murkrow should lead to jail time

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That's fine, I'm a friend of the Family so Honchkrow will make sure my time inside is very comfortable.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Does Mallow count? because that's the closest we've gotten to a female character taking that sort of supporting role.

Uhhh I guess? Now that you mention it she does kinda come across as the mom of the group sometimes. I guess I was more so thinking of the dynamic of Ash traveling with a one male/female trainer a piece. Sun and Moon is kinda running a different theme here. Not that it's bad specifically. For instance I am appreciating the fact they're letting these kids pokemon evolve instead of staying small and cute for marketability. Although, bear in mind that this is coming from someone who infamously doesn't like the anime so I'm trying to be fair here.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

watchoutitsabear posted:

I'm starting a new game in Pearl to give myself something to do while I breastfeed. I haven't touched that game since it came out and barely remember the Pokemon in that gen; any favorites y'all would recommend?

In my previous playthrough I used Infernape, Weavile, Roserade, Garchomp, Driftblim, and Vaporeon (Vaporeon for life). I'm planning to try out Mismagius and Glaceon (though I understand Glaceon is a terrible Eeveelution) this time around. Maybe Toxicroak?

Anyway! Tell me your favorite Shinnoh Pokemon, goons!

I used a Glaceon in a Platinum romhack recently and she was definitely usable, although fragile. The worst thing is the wait to evolve her. Toxicroak and Mismagius are both good options. Uhhh what else is in Sinnoh...Luxray's the obvious one you haven't got there. Gastrodon is good too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Water/Ground is a delightfully bulky monster and even Grass moves aren't always a OHKO

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Mismagius was one of my MVPs for Generation IV. They could be quick, they could be bulky, and they could build enough special attack to zap!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Mismagius has been my go to Gengar replacement when I need someone with levitate and its always been good.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

Mismagius has been my go to Gengar replacement when I need someone with levitate and its always been good.

Mismagius was my MVP for SS, and remains one of my favorite mons of all time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Honchkrow debuted in Sinnoh and remained the best bird in the series until Hawlucha showed up.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Honchkrow isn't even as good as Murkrow, you jokers

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
be careful, or you might wake up next to a Mudsdale head in your bed

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Amppelix posted:

Honchkrow isn't even as good as Murkrow, you jokers

Murkrow respects the chain of command

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Thing is she don't even need it cause poison typing doesn't weigh her down. That's MISSmagius to you Mr Gengar :smugbert:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Yanmega can reach sonic speeds without having to forgo moves buffing himself, Dusknoir is just a plain good tank especially for special, Gallade is fun for the novelty of using physical psychic and special fighting moves on the same guy like some kind of bizzaro.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
honchkrow is way better than murkrow. big boss gangster crow is an unbelievably good pokemon concept

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ROFL Octopus posted:

I have a hard time remembering which new evos for old pokemon are available before postgame because diamond and pearl’s pokedex is astoundingly bad

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

honchkrow is way better than murkrow. big boss gangster crow is an unbelievably good pokemon concept

Ya but prankster is a way better ability in doubles so nyeh :cheeky:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

They're playing Pearl and Murkrow/Honchkrow isn't available in Pearl.

Definitely give Toxicroak a try. It's a fun 'mon. It's attack and speed are only slightly less than Lucario's, just for comparison, and it has a pretty solid movepool.

(It's Special Attack isn't overly bad either, and it learns Nasty Plot too.)

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Toxicroak will snap in half if it even thinks about a psychic type, bring your good friend Drapion.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Parrotine posted:

Ya but prankster is a way better ability in doubles so nyeh :cheeky:

Doubles is a gimmick and VGC is a gimmick too.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

oddium posted:

evolving perfect precious child murkrow should lead to jail time

Ok I used to be of this opinion and still have an unevolved Murkrow on my team in SoulSilver but all of the mobster posts have convinced me Honchkrow is good and I will use him.

To be fair it's been more than 10 years since I played them but I remember completely enjoying these games. And so far I'm enjoying the early game. I think your opinion is wrong, sir!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gale of Darkness is sooooooooo boooooring I can't believe I started this goddamn game

40 hours in and my pokeyman are all high 20s / very low 30s

aaaaaaaauuuugggggghhhhh if I have to listen to the goddamn scooter music one. more. time. . .

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Vandar posted:

They're playing Pearl and Murkrow/Honchkrow isn't available in Pearl.

Definitely give Toxicroak a try. It's a fun 'mon. It's attack and speed are only slightly less than Lucario's, just for comparison, and it has a pretty solid movepool.

(It's Special Attack isn't overly bad either, and it learns Nasty Plot too.)

I appreciate your looking out but I have HG and SS and two DSes for trading with myself :)

Outstanding! I love a good frog. And it sounds like he will need a mobster bird to protect him from psychic types!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

watchoutitsabear posted:

Ok I used to be of this opinion and still have an unevolved Murkrow on my team in SoulSilver but all of the mobster posts have convinced me Honchkrow is good and I will use him.

To be fair it's been more than 10 years since I played them but I remember completely enjoying these games. And so far I'm enjoying the early game. I think your opinion is wrong, sir!

I'm just super embittered about the lack of fire types and my experience at the elite four. You do you.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah if you don't get Infernape the only fire option Rapidash and that's a bad time

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm just super embittered about the lack of fire types

A fair critique.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I honestly think when most people say they like gen4 it's Platinum they loved and forgot just how dire D&P were on release.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I can't recommend playing Diamond and Pearl at all. They've aged terribly.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mizuti posted:

I can't recommend playing Diamond and Pearl at all. They've aged terribly.

They are PAINFULLY slow. I mean I was playing them a bit to help transfer my mons to gen 5 back in the day and I was floored by how long an entire encounter took. I was also trying to run away and even successfully doing that took what felt like an entire minute. Couple that with running out of repels and it can take you ages to get out of one patch of grass.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 23, 2019

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I went against the advice of Discord and am playing through Pearl rather than restarting Platinum. It is definitely rough. My team is probably going up to be Infernape, Gastrodon, Crobat, Blissey, Mismagius and either Weavile or Ambomasnow. I'm really disappointed feeling the miserable Pokedex though. I would have loved a Torterra, but Rapidash...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
You don’t need a Fire-type anyway

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Diamond/Pearl are borderline unplayable now. where Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald are all cool but not really all that necessary, Platinum basically renders Diamond and Pearl obsolete. because everything that sucked about D/P, basically, was rectifiable, and most of it was rectified in Platinum.
loving 30 second save times, jesus christ. gatekeeping 20 or so of the new Pokemon behind story completion? uuuuuuuugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I remember feeling like DP was a breath of fresh air after Hoenn, but looking at all its problems objectively, it’s a wonder how they screwed up so bad in ways that are so tribal to fix.