Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

MeinPanzer posted:

Two paint questions:

1. So AP Soft Tone/Hard Tone/Dark Tone/Flesh Wash are good washes to replace their GW equivalents, but are there other cheaper alternatives to GW's washes for other colours, or is it best to go with GW? I'm looking for generic red, green, and blue washes that I can use as filters

AP makes these too. I got a set of the 4 you mentioned plus a bunch of colors for like $25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beerdeer posted:

AP makes these too. I got a set of the 4 you mentioned plus a bunch of colors for like $25.

AP washes are my favorite. I'm working on a model now that uses Strong, Soft, Dark, Red, Blue, and Purple tone.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I feel crazy saying this but I actually wish AP washes came in the pots. I've seen all the horror photo's of spilled Nuln Oil and Aggrax Earthshade, but at the end of the day being able to dip my brush in and use EXACTLY how much wash I need is really nice.

That said, AP has some great washes, all their color tones are fantastic imo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Jumpoff posted:

I feel crazy saying this but I actually wish AP washes came in the pots. I've seen all the horror photo's of spilled Nuln Oil and Aggrax Earthshade, but at the end of the day being able to dip my brush in and use EXACTLY how much wash I need is really nice.

That said, AP has some great washes, all their color tones are fantastic imo.

I vastly prefer the dropper bottles. One spilled pot could easily offset everything I have wasted on a palette, and I love the level of control. For example a 1:1:2 ratio of AP Blue, Dark, and Vallejo Flow Improver makes for a really nice shading wash on gray. It's how I did my assassins.

The Contrast paints are also seeing some use for me. The red on the knife is a single coat of Contrast BA red over my bone technique.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

MeinPanzer posted:

It could be, but I ordered a bunch of paints from different manufacturers from two different suppliers all at once, and only the VGC paints are doing this.

So non-GW colour washes aren't worth considering at all?

I've had a few VMC and vgc colours go solid in their bottles. Yellow, dark blue and white are the ones that come to mind.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

AP washes are my favorite. I'm working on a model now that uses Strong, Soft, Dark, Red, Blue, and Purple tone.

OK great, thanks for the advice. I'll pick some AP Red Tone, Blue Tone, and Green tone.

quote:

I've had a few VMC and vgc colours go solid in their bottles. Yellow, dark blue and white are the ones that come to mind.

I've had paints get old and dry out before, but this is different -- it's like the paint just constantly separates into watery pigment at the top and a clump of paint at the bottom, and when the latter comes out isn't really any thicker than the normal paint in other bottles.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I feel like my painting abilities have gotten a lot better over the course of the last six months, excited to see where I'm at in a year. Particularly proud of the necromancer.

Also, for other beginners like me, spending the $20 on a fancier brush vs the citadel brushes was like the difference between night and day.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 20, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is a good way of painting "Space Marine Librarian Blue"?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Professor Shark posted:

I plan on doing it with a base coat of a 1:6 ratio of VMA Silver to Liquitex Blue Ink, edge highlighted in silver, and then washed twice in AP Blue Tone.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

MeinPanzer posted:

OK great, thanks for the advice. I'll pick some AP Red Tone, Blue Tone, and Green tone.

I've had paints get old and dry out before, but this is different -- it's like the paint just constantly separates into watery pigment at the top and a clump of paint at the bottom, and when the latter comes out isn't really any thicker than the normal paint in other bottles.

Yeah that's what happens with some of mine. Browns as well now that I think of it. You get wash-like consistency fluid first before the paint comes out. I think it's something to do with specific colours and pigments.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I did the standard Kantor Blue base coat with a Nuln Oil recess shade, followed by an edge highlight of Alaitoc Blue and then an extra thin highlight of Hoeth Blue. Looks pretty good.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Finished my first executioner. Way better looking model than the normal repulsor.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Booley posted:

Finished my first executioner. Way better looking model than the normal repulsor.

This is unbelievably fantastic, dang.

That said, something about the transfer on the back door strikes me as incongruent with the rest of the model. Everything else is just brutal blacks and yellows, and that transfer has a bunch of blue-greys that aren't present anywhere else and kind of stick out from the rest of the model.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Anyone have any experience shading either GSW or Turbo Dork color shift paints? I'm looking to do some tzeentch chaos warriors using a blue-to-purple color shift, but would still like to add a minimal shadow to the recesses. Would a thin recess wash of glossy nuln oil kill the color shift?

If anyone has any images of this, would love to see them. My googlefu is pretty weak.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I plan on doing it with a base coat of a 1:6 ratio of VMA Silver to Liquitex Blue Ink, edge highlighted in silver, and then washed twice in AP Blue Tone.

This sounds cool, but I'm not sure it would go with the rest of my army (I'm trying to have a "vintage" 40K theme, aka 1990's)

Gunder posted:

I did the standard Kantor Blue base coat with a Nuln Oil recess shade, followed by an edge highlight of Alaitoc Blue and then an extra thin highlight of Hoeth Blue. Looks pretty good.

This sounds like more of my thing- do you have any pictures?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Professor Shark posted:

This sounds cool, but I'm not sure it would go with the rest of my army (I'm trying to have a "vintage" 40K theme, aka 1990's)

This sounds like more of my thing- do you have any pictures?

If you have the Citadel paint app on your phone look up crimson fists power armour (same colour as librarians), there's two methods on there, one using contrast and the other standard paints.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ringwraith on his horsey and the poor dismounted version

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Crossposting because chipping medium is the most fun

Harkano posted:

K-K-K-Knights!

3D printed the shoulders and the hatch monsters on this guy.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Alokgen posted:

Anyone have any experience shading either GSW or Turbo Dork color shift paints? I'm looking to do some tzeentch chaos warriors using a blue-to-purple color shift, but would still like to add a minimal shadow to the recesses. Would a thin recess wash of glossy nuln oil kill the color shift?

If anyone has any images of this, would love to see them. My googlefu is pretty weak.

Shading will effect the colorshift. Your best bet may be to use oils for recess shading as shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xGqZ4EsRw

Gunder
May 22, 2003

First pass on Guilliman is almost done. I used Grey Seer primer for the undercoat, followed by Ultramarines Blue Contrast for the armour, and a gold sharpie for the gold trim (with some Liberator Gold which colour matches well for bits that were harder to reach.) Face is Guilliman Flesh contrast with Ork Flesh contrast on the laurel wreath. Still have to do the gun and the base. The contrast paint + sharpie has saved me so much time. I think it's taken a combined total of about 1.5 hours to get to this point.

Edit: Sword is Iyanden Yellow contrast with Gryph-Hound Orange contrast on the flames. Hair is Nazdreg Yellow.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's a mighty fine rowbooat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

If you have the Citadel paint app on your phone look up crimson fists power armour (same colour as librarians), there's two methods on there, one using contrast and the other standard paints.

I checked out the app and wasn't a huge fan of the CF scheme.

I went on encycolorpedia.com and found that the complementary color for Jokaero Orange (#ee3823, which looks a bit darker than what I have, probably due to the white undercoat?) is Cyan, which doesn't quite match up with the Ultramarine color scheme.

I did see what they call Optical Blue, which seems closer:

(Marine added for comparison)

I want my Librarians to look good next to the rest of my army (Blue-White, Orange pauldrons) and would probably use the same Blue color for an Imperial Guard auxiliary.

Thoughts and suggestions? Would Optical Blue work for Librarians and/or as a complementary color?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 22, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
At this point I would paint up a test model and see how it goes.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Gunder posted:

First pass on Guilliman is almost done. I used Grey Seer primer for the undercoat, followed by Ultramarines Blue Contrast for the armour, and a gold sharpie for the gold trim (with some Liberator Gold which colour matches well for bits that were harder to reach.) Face is Guilliman Flesh contrast with Ork Flesh contrast on the laurel wreath. Still have to do the gun and the base. The contrast paint + sharpie has saved me so much time. I think it's taken a combined total of about 1.5 hours to get to this point.

Edit: Sword is Iyanden Yellow contrast with Gryph-Hound Orange contrast on the flames. Hair is Nazdreg Yellow.

That looks really nice! I'm impressed by what Contrast can do in short amounts of time. Also the gold Sharpie technique seems smart for a model with this type of detail.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

TotalHell posted:

That looks really nice! I'm impressed by what Contrast can do in short amounts of time. Also the gold Sharpie technique seems smart for a model with this type of detail.

Thanks! The contrast Ultramarines Blue works especially well for Gulliman’s armour because all the gold filligree stops it from pooling. It’s a little harder to combat this on a normal marine with big armour panels, but not impossible. Just look at the imperial fists intercessors people in this thread did with Iyanden Yellow. Very little to no pooling on those yellow boys.

I got the sharpie idea from a video of a pro painter who was using it to paint his own Guilliman quickly. It works a treat.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Spent the last few weeks painting up some dragons and finally finished up their bases! I think their some of the nicest models I've ever done.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Those are some excellent bases, especially the water one. Really great highlighting!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'm having some trouble with Iyanden Yellow.

One coat doesn't quite achieve enough coverage/saturation for my liking. It looks pale rather than vivid. But a second coat ends up really orange.

Am I using it wrong? How would I solve the issue?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

One coat doesn't quite achieve enough coverage/saturation for my liking. It looks pale rather than vivid. But a second coat ends up really orange.

You could try thinning it slightly with contrast medium and doing two coats that way - or doing one coat and then a thinned coat.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What primer are you using? It comes out a pretty strong yellow over a Wraithbone undercoat.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
More Lord of the Rings this time ""Theoden KING"

Puts me at the half-way point of the Battle of Pelennor Fields box I grabbed last week.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

More Lord of the Rings this time ""Theoden KING"

Puts me at the half-way point of the Battle of Pelennor Fields box I grabbed last week.

please let me come over and play as the Rohirrim with their theme blasting the entire time

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Before I go and buy more Lahmian (how did my bottle go so fast?!), is there an equivalent that I could buy instead?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

They've started selling it in the shade size pots now, so at least it'll last longer this time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Has anyone ever taken the effort to transfer he paint into more reasonable pots? Like can you get empty dropper bottles?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JBP posted:

Has anyone ever taken the effort to transfer he paint into more reasonable pots? Like can you get empty dropper bottles?

Yeah, you can find a billion tutorials on youtube

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

JBP posted:

its a crime to have more than two empty dropper bottles. they're like milk crates

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Squidmar Miniatures seems to be a pretty legit painting channel. It’s not been running that long, but he has some nice tutorials and is a really talented painter.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted a Tempestor:

And I have to admit, Aethermatic Blue is pretty great for power swords, lenses and plasma coils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Professor Shark posted:

Before I go and buy more Lahmian (how did my bottle go so fast?!), is there an equivalent that I could buy instead?

I just use Vallejo Flow Improver.