Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well the desert has fewer bushes and more shrubs. While there are a lot of shrubs they don't have as much biomass per, is the thing I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Speedball posted:

Well the desert has fewer bushes and more shrubs. While there are a lot of shrubs they don't have as much biomass per, is the thing I think.

Except there's also a huge number of dead bushes that let you harvest large amounts of wood by hand. There's another desert that actually is low on biomass but it's not the one the game spawns you in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The only trick is you need to sprint up the ramp past the poison thingys to get to the coal near the lake.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Or build ramps up the cliff face directly next to the coal.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

necrotic posted:

If you aren't literally making highways out of concrete for your tucks/belts to deliver materials on, why are you even playing this game?

Bonus points to you if your factory/sky roads have proper "supports" though.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

DelphiAegis posted:

Bonus points to you if your factory/sky roads have proper "supports" though.

I kinda wish there was a game mechanic that would mandate this, the big unsupported ramps feel so.... minecraft

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

necrotic posted:

I did that on the way back down as I was unsure where to start the ramp to go up

Now my little tractor goes up and down the ramp!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I keep foundations to a minimum because they're ugly and I like the challenge of making things fit the environment. :colbert:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

KillHour posted:

I keep foundations to a minimum because they're ugly and I like the challenge of making things fit the environment. :colbert:

Do you build multi floor structures, or just spread? I just left my first game at the beginning plastic stage because, though my plant was impressive, my plan to build foundries on the first floor, and build up from there quickly turned into a spaghetti mess that I could barely navigate, let along optimize without stripping out the full floors.

I started Game 2 last night and this time and am going to build in the central valley of the first map, with minimal vertical leveling. Hopefully by the time I get to the 3rd game I'll be better prepared to organize a plant.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Why the hell does the chainsaw only accept Biofuel

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

porksmash posted:

Why the hell does the chainsaw only accept Biofuel

When was the last time you shoved leaves into a fuel take and it started working? I'll buy that the biomass burners will consume anything, but consume fuels more efficiently.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jet pack: Will take gas fuel but not turbo-fuel
Chainsaw: Biofuel only
Vehicles: Like every fuel available up and including batteries

The crazy one is compacted coal, which I didn't even unlock until way after I had oil production going, so I've never used it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

thsi game is hella fun, it's giving me like a subnautica/factorio mixed vibe. i haven o idea what im doing, my factory is a mess, i just made it to coal, but so far everything is awesome.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm now ~19 hours in and I think my biggest complaint is that building big really makes placing every single thing by hand suck. You can't run along while placing down a row of machines or dragging a line of belt, you can't copy and paste, you can't stamp down more than 1 foundation at a time etc.

Placing down a long line of constructors or especially more complex machines like foundries with stacked input belts starts to feel like busywork after a while.

Really hope updates add more QoL stuff.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Yeah, templates and copying are a must have for the final version.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

do trains still cause a resource leak?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Do you build multi floor structures, or just spread? I just left my first game at the beginning plastic stage because, though my plant was impressive, my plan to build foundries on the first floor, and build up from there quickly turned into a spaghetti mess that I could barely navigate, let along optimize without stripping out the full floors.

I started Game 2 last night and this time and am going to build in the central valley of the first map, with minimal vertical leveling. Hopefully by the time I get to the 3rd game I'll be better prepared to organize a plant.

I have some multi floor structures, but I keep them to realistically sized factory buildings with proper foundations on relatively flat land. Then I build spaghetti between them.

I actually enjoy wrestling with spaghetti belts more than having everything ultra :spergin:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

do trains still cause a resource leak?

They fixed a leak with particles related to trains. I haven't noticed any slow down from my (small) train network, but I have nothing to compare it to having not used trains before that fix went in.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My current building scheme is one building per product, with spaghetti belts in-between, all leading to and from a central bank of industrial containers that serve as make-shift load balancers. If I need more capacity of a certain thing, I can just add another story to the building. This will work for everything except copper wire, which I need about 1000 units per minute, which is clearly over the max capacity of the belt. Also: all belts traverse the map at at least the 3rd story up, so you're not constantly running into them as you drive around in the buggy, tweaking things.

I've got sufficient aluminum plate production going that I'm tempted to just say 'gently caress it' and make all belts level 5, even the ones that only need a level 1, just so I overclock things in the future without worrying about belt capacity. I don't think faster belts are more CPU-intensive than slow belts?

The thing I'm most hoping for in a potential next tier is two body slots. Would love to be able to equip the jetpack and the respirator (or radiation suit) at the same time.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 22, 2019

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

When was the last time you shoved leaves into a fuel take and it started working? I'll buy that the biomass burners will consume anything, but consume fuels more efficiently.

I don’t know about you but I expect my chainsaws to take gasoline.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bobulus posted:

My current building scheme is one building per product, with spaghetti belts in-between, all leading to and from a central bank of industrial containers that serve as make-shift load balancers. If I need more capacity of a certain thing, I can just add another story to the building. This will work for everything except copper wire, which I need about 1000 units per minute, which is clearly over the max capacity of the belt. Also: all belts traverse the map at at least the 3rd story up, so you're not constantly running into them as you drive around in the buggy, tweaking things.

I've got sufficient aluminum plate production going that I'm tempted to just say 'gently caress it' and make all belts level 5, even the ones that only need a level 1, just so I overclock things in the future without worrying about belt capacity. I don't think faster belts are more CPU-intensive than slow belts?

The thing I'm most hoping for in a potential next tier is two body slots. Would love to be able to equip the jetpack and the respirator (or radiation suit) at the same time.

Please post your map. Tyia

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

Please post your map. Tyia

Images or the save file? Because if images, not much has changed from here:

Bobulus posted:

Base 2 is making progress! I've got oil, bauxite, and crystal on the train, and aluminum plate production automated. Steel production is like half done, and then gold wire will be easy. Then I can start planning the complex production paths...

Edit: Setting up a train to delivery fuel rod parts to a future distant nuclear reactor.

All I've added is gold wire production and then spent a while hunting hard drives to optimize production of later products.

I'm probably going to have to focus on getting nuclear rod production going before turbo motors, because I'm afraid that with both bases running I'll run out of power otherwise. Currently, I have about 3,300 watts of power, but my second base is going to take like 2,200 on it's own.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 22, 2019

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

My complaint was actually that I can't use oil derived fuel, not that a chainsaw can't run on sticks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh right sorry didn’t recognize your name from the earlier post

Hard to see but are you running super long belts ?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

Oh right sorry didn’t recognize your name from the earlier post

Hard to see but are you running super long belts ?

Not super-long. I'm using belts to gather up iron, copper, coal, and gold at my #2 base, and using a train to delivery oil, crystal, and bauxite. At my first base, I do have a really long conveyor delivering bauxite from the center of the map to the base, but I plan to tear that down and replace it with a train when I get the time.

Considering how long that crystal has to travel to get to the train station for base #2, I might have to add more train lines there, too, but I'm hesitant because it seems like it'll be a big pain. Also, the more elaborate the rail system, the more likely the system will get confused and claim there's no route.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

In the late game, is there a piece that lets you output select item types? For example a belt with a splitter that would loop, and only output a specified resource out a specified outlet.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Smart splitters?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

necrotic posted:

Smart splitters?

Just looked it up and that's exactly it.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I started a new game in the desert and got to coal, then I found out the coal nodes were being guarded by some seriously grumpy hellspiders. That was a real bad time.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, nice, yesterday's patch lets you filter what shows up on your compass. Mine was so clogged with beacons that I couldn't find anything with it.

Interestingly, it also changes the order things sort in your inventory? That might be a bug. The equipment isn't all at the beginning now.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 23, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
They added grouping and a "show only what I can make" to the crafting window as well.

Also a pop-up telling you to take a break after some amount of time in game, heh.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think what I'd like them to do with the Space Elevator is in between milestone sendoffs, to have the ability to ship off packages of requested items in return for idk, Space Credits, which you can then redeem on medical inhalers, bullets, nobelisks, filters, fuel, inventory slots, maybe a couple alt recipes you can't get from crash sites and other unique rewards. Offworld Materials which don't exist anywhere in the gameworld that you can use to build, like, Mk3 Smelters and Assemblers and Constructors and whatnot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

First time trying out trains and WOW they take a lot of resources, though the end result is a transport system that runs off a modest amount of electricity. I like how powerful and fast the train is once it gets up to speed, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I found a guy playing Satisfactory on youtube that you might find amusing:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrBjj4brdIRwRkGTLKqH5hlS_mlMYn_J0

What I find fascinating about him is that simultaneously does a good job explaining the basic mechanics for new players, while also intentionally applying the worst practices to his layout planning possible.

There was the tornado of belts

There was a weave of belts (that were level 1, so it took literal hours to get from one end to the other)

And there was the ball-pit of tractors, which for some reason, broke physics and caused them to start floating.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I watched his train video, that was fun. His base is definitely a feat of engineering.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The video about the tractor ball pit is absolutely killer. There are a lot of gems on that channel if you go poking through.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Man, redoing a factory for the 5th time is starting to get a little tedious. My problem is that I have been fully automating all Tier Goal production, even though the quantities needed are really pretty low.

I think for future games I'll run ad-hoc production lines instead of trying to plan for factory expansion and the MK5 belts. The lengths you have to go through to ensure solid throughput on earlier belts are both fun to figure out and tedious to rip out and replace.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I've done the exact opposite. I've fully unlocked T3 and T4 and I have laid down all of two Constructors. It's way easier to automate the space bar and wander off for a bit.

I wanted to try out an elaborate build but I didn't want to rebuild everything five times so I just waited until I unlocked everything I needed (T3 belts, coal power).

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Space bar !??!?! I've been mouse click holding all this time :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

It's not that I didn't know there were apps out there to simulate mouse input(Christ, I use Thurstmaster TARGET to launch Elite Dangerous), but something about leaning your phone against the keyboard makes "automating" the early stuff extra easy.