Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

People are fuming at our new forced wallpaper. The image they chose is busy and stupid as gently caress, and so many non-IT people are whining that they can't find their hundreds of desktop icons anymore.

I suggested to a colleague that they put a complaint into HR that the black wallpaper was very depressing and affecting their mental health.

They have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Technical writing is an a full on profession that needs a lot of training to do right and expecting an average joe to do it as a side job responsibility is asking too much.

So grit your teeth, accept that it's going to suck, and try to bang out the requirements as quick as possible and then move on with life.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

I worked in a place where they wanted to set the homepage of everyone's PC to the website of our organisation - the public page, not even a dedicated 'intranet' or whatever. It makes sense if you have public access machines for web browsing or whatever, but going out of your way to stop people having their homepage set to whatever they feel is the most relevant for them seems pointless.

I....actually kinda do this. The default page is the org public page and there's a few folders of bookmarks for various intranet locations new employees need right away

we don't enforce it, it's just a starting config

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shut up Meg posted:

I suggested to a colleague that they put a complaint into HR that the black wallpaper was very depressing and affecting their mental health.

They have.

This will not end well; You've handed some aspiring manager or C-Level carte-blanche to blow an obscene amount of money on getting a consultant to deliver a focus-tested and "proven" new wallpaper that is guaranteed to make employees feel positive thoughts about murdering whoever created said wallpaper.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Not pissing me off today: I killed that interview. Also I ate so much bbq and drank a lot of beer after.

Turns out HR lady was just awful at describing the process. The "live coding" amounted to like 7 lines I wrote in 4 minutes. Maybe it was supposed to take longer, but it seemed really simplistic. I was expecting "add a new API endpoint and/or React component", and indeed that's how it started: "Say I asked you to add an endpoint to do.....".

I started adding boilerplate as she finished talking, but the more senior interviewer interrupted me: "Oh, don't actually build it, just build a utility function that endpoint would use for determining the closest appointment to the supplied date and time." Then when I wrote it she wanted to know how efficient it was, and how I could improve it. I get the idea that the entire thing was just to A) See that I wasn't bullshitting and actually wrote my code, and B) sneak in a check to see if I at least knew Big O notation and basic poo poo like binary search.

The rest was just questions about decisions I made in my design, what I'd change if I had more time, and a bunch of stuff about DevOps and automation tools. All super easy despite their saying, "It's ok if you don't have an answer for every single question."

I grilled them for almost as long as that all took. I love when I get to talk to people on my would-be team. Got to check into their unlimited PTO policy to see if it's legit (half their team is off on vacation right now, some big music festival or something). Asked a lot about day to day life there, their app architecture, deployment process, etc. I liked their answers.

Feeling optimistic about this one :downs:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Turns out HR lady was just awful at describing the process. The "live coding" amounted to like 7 lines I wrote in 4 minutes. Maybe it was supposed to take longer, but it seemed really simplistic. I was expecting "add a new API endpoint and/or React component", and indeed that's how it started: "Say I asked you to add an endpoint to do.....".

I started adding boilerplate as she finished talking, but the more senior interviewer interrupted me: "Oh, don't actually build it, just build a utility function that endpoint would use for determining the closest appointment to the supplied date and time." Then when I wrote it she wanted to know how efficient it was, and how I could improve it. I get the idea that the entire thing was just to A) See that I wasn't bullshitting and actually wrote my code, and B) sneak in a check to see if I at least knew Big O notation and basic poo poo like binary search.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you! While I’m hoping you won’t need the advice, in the future, try to avoid attempting to solve the problem before it’s finished being given - after its asked, ask a few questions to shore any assumptions or define any additional scope, then start.

I lead technical interviews and was on hiring committees for a well-known tech company in Silicon Valley in my last job. While we’d generally overlook jumping the gun if you do well, it’s unfortunately those sorts of things that tend to count against you if the interviewer or committee is on the fence.

Luckily, it sounds like that’s not the case though, so I’m pulling for you!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Potato Salad posted:

we don't enforce it, it's just a starting config

This is the important bit.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Willfrey posted:

Hey willfrey put together a procedure for doing our alignments, specifically what you do in the HMI's
The fun part? This is do alignment work on a big machine, which needs live hydraulics to measure contact surfaces. There is a very real danger of moving the machine with someone inside it if you dont know what you are doing.

They're gonna give your 50 page monster to some clueless as gently caress new hire, tell them to set up the hydraulics, then fire him and blame you for loving up the machine.

P.S. Are you using the hydraulics to move the surfaces, and referencing them to built in scales or something? Or are the hydraulics also the measurement system via gauges build into the rams? If it's the former, do you have a back-off routine to re-measure the frame of the machine after the fore is no longer applied?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

(half their team is off on vacation right now, some big music festival or something).

I read this and thought "hmm, wonder if he's in Michigan, I bet it was Faster Horses". Assuming your profile is up to date, have you been in GR long enough to get a sense for the way tech jobs are going there? I live in Ann Arbor but would like to move (back) to Grand Rapids, but every time I do a cursory search of jobs it seems like salaries are just way lower than the other side of the state.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sirotan posted:

I read this and thought "hmm, wonder if he's in Michigan, I bet it was Faster Horses". Assuming your profile is up to date, have you been in GR long enough to get a sense for the way tech jobs are going there? I live in Ann Arbor but would like to move (back) to Grand Rapids, but every time I do a cursory search of jobs it seems like salaries are just way lower than the other side of the state.

Oh oops, I haven't updated that in ages. I'm in Florida now, and the company in question is based in Brooklyn but is 100% remote, so I have no idea.

The jobs in GR sucked hard, though. If you don't drink the Microsoft koolaid, you're hosed.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

My company just announced they're making a 15 person SRE team and "gathering the top talent from telecommunications to application development" to be on it to assist customers and other internal teams with problems they are having. The introduction was the intro section of the Google SRE book and nothing they said they are doing is anything lined up with that book. What the gently caress.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Oh oops, I haven't updated that in ages. I'm in Florida now, and the company in question is based in Brooklyn but is 100% remote, so I have no idea.

The jobs in GR sucked hard, though. If you don't drink the Microsoft koolaid, you're hosed.

:argh: to both things.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
FML. I have to be here at 5am for this rushed-as-gently caress release. I would outright refuse if it wasn't bailing out this team lead I actually like who I'm surprised hasn't offed herself in the course of managing this project.

Basically marketing moved up the launch of this new product and scheduled ads and junk then told us after the fact and this can't be changed. So we have a release tomorrow at 5am, then another one Thursday, because sure, that's not stupid at all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be mashing the refresh button on my inbox for the rest of the day waiting on the results of yesterday's interview.....

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You really have to get that job offer at this point.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They're gonna give your 50 page monster to some clueless as gently caress new hire, tell them to set up the hydraulics, then fire him and blame you for loving up the machine.

P.S. Are you using the hydraulics to move the surfaces, and referencing them to built in scales or something? Or are the hydraulics also the measurement system via gauges build into the rams? If it's the former, do you have a back-off routine to re-measure the frame of the machine after the fore is no longer applied?

We have a center line of the machine, and we use a scope bucked into targets up and down the line. Every part of the machine does have physical interlocks (hookstops, pins, etc). The tempos in our cylinders get a pretty good 1:1 offset:inches ratio for most parts but we always verify with the scope when re-aligning. On top of that once a year we will run a plumbob and a wire down the whole line, and verify that the scope targets are in line with witness marks on the structural beams the machine is attached to.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

weird coincidence, I recently(ish) moved from Grand Rapids to Brooklyn. anyone I might have heard of?

Good luck on the job!

E: @ Sirotan: I worked remote for Rackspace (do not recommend) the entire time I was in GR, never really found any leads on better jobs. I have a few friends at Gentex but they are mostly "real" engineers, not computer touchers.

E: second edit:

Recruiter messages have gotten so weird.

Subjects for linkedin messages from the past few days include:

"Are you a fit??"
"PLEASE CALL ME ASAP"
"You may be a match!"

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 23, 2019

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Comradephate posted:

E: @ Sirotan: I worked remote for Rackspace (do not recommend) the entire time I was in GR, never really found any leads on better jobs. I have a few friends at Gentex but they are mostly "real" engineers, not computer touchers.

Yeah I'm guessing I'll need a 100% remote gig if I want to even approach what I'm making now, unfortunately.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Last two jobs had enough sense not to force wallpaper, but they did force a screensaver. First place had some sense--they would rotate images that had helpful information like upcoming corporate deadlines, or the date of the employee BBQ. Last place just seemed to pick at random--"African American History Month" [featuring 3 random notable African Americans, none of whom worked for us, and posted two months after AA History Month ended] or handwashing/hygeine propaganda.

xzzy posted:

Technical writing is an a full on profession that needs a lot of training to do right and expecting an average joe to do it as a side job responsibility is asking too much.
Pro tip: submit drafts to the requester frequently. It's tons of fun when you spend a chunk of time on something, only for them to finally see it and insist that you go in a totally different direction.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Comradephate posted:

weird coincidence, I recently(ish) moved from Grand Rapids to Brooklyn. anyone I might have heard of?

Good luck on the job!

Thanks! It's with Thinkful if you know those guys.

Speaking of which, I passed! The bad news is I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MONDAY TO MEET WITH THE HIRING MANAGERS WHO ARE ON VACATION :psyboom:

I guess I meet with them to go over expectations and stuff and then they make their offer. Sounds like I all but have an offer in hand, but I can't really rage quit this week while I'm at HQ like I had planned :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Thanks! It's with Thinkful if you know those guys.

Speaking of which, I passed! The bad news is I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MONDAY TO MEET WITH THE HIRING MANAGERS WHO ARE ON VACATION :psyboom:

I guess I meet with them to go over expectations and stuff and then they make their offer. Sounds like I all but have an offer in hand, but I can't really rage quit this week while I'm at HQ like I had planned :smith:

Your new company isn't giving me much confidence in them. Its starting to sound like a real poo poo show. I hope things get better.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I mean, all things considered this process has been really organized and reasonable. Maybe the code challenge was a bit long, but then again I don't ever use React, so ymmv (I wrote the Flask part in like 20 minutes). I can't really resent the fact that the people signing my offer letter happen to be on vacation, I'm just annoyed that it doesn't line up with this trip.

In total it hasn't even been 2 weeks since I submitted my resume; yeah there have been a lot of steps, maybe a bit more than necessary, but we've blown through it quickly. Aside from the two days it took for them to review my code they've been communicative and transparent (and that small delay was again due to coinciding with the engineering manager traveling to Chicago).

Then again, I'll take anything over this place in its seemingly-irreversible death spiral. I haven't pulled my apps at any of these other places....though Udacity rescheduled on me again yesterday.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Virigoth posted:

My company just announced they're making a 15 person SRE team and "gathering the top talent from telecommunications to application development" to be on it to assist customers and other internal teams with problems they are having. The introduction was the intro section of the Google SRE book and nothing they said they are doing is anything lined up with that book. What the gently caress.

I'm actually pretty interested in this as I am an inaugural member of our SRE team at my workplace now, and we started the group about 1.5 months ago. Have they given a more precise definition of things that SRE team owns, and more importantly what they don't own?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I doubt that will get defined until they get a leader on board besides the SVP (pure exec) that can trim it down from the nebulous everything. They were talking about helping services with resiliency and "DevOps" which is stepping on my teams directives so that is what is pissing me off. It's only announcement day + 1 and we've got some follow up todays so I might be back later and more pissed off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A client's IT team doesn't like our plan to connect their two offices to their Azure VNet via a VPN tunnel per site, with a tunnel between sites, and wants all the traffic for Azure to route via one little branch office with a single Internet connection and no redundant infrastructure. Explaining how this isn't a great plan and that the design they approved had us doing what we're trying to do now has taken up a large chunk of the morning :negative:

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Virigoth posted:

I doubt that will get defined until they get a leader on board besides the SVP (pure exec) that can trim it down from the nebulous everything. They were talking about helping services with resiliency and "DevOps" which is stepping on my teams directives so that is what is pissing me off. It's only announcement day + 1 and we've got some follow up todays so I might be back later and more pissed off.

It sounds like your work, unfortunately, actually defines "DevOps" as a position. Usually SRE is about owning production systems, establishing automation and monitoring, that sort of thing.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

buttchugging adderall posted:

It sounds like your work, unfortunately, actually defines "DevOps" as a position. Usually SRE is about owning production systems, establishing automation and monitoring, that sort of thing.

Yeah that’s not what that SRE is going to be sadly. This place is a siloed hell that is fighting all culture changes we got called in from our functioning business unit that was an acquisition to help. We’re actually solution architects for our AWS deployments helping them go from servers in the cloud to utilizing services, autoscaling, all that jazz. There are some DevOps teams in this org just not us.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

A client's IT team doesn't like our plan to connect their two offices to their Azure VNet via a VPN tunnel per site, with a tunnel between sites, and wants all the traffic for Azure to route via one little branch office with a single Internet connection and no redundant infrastructure. Explaining how this isn't a great plan and that the design they approved had us doing what we're trying to do now has taken up a large chunk of the morning :negative:

Tell them how much money they'll be costing other revenue-generating parts of the business, per minute/hour, an outage would cause through that branch office vs a proper redundant setup.

With their names and fingerprints all over the written and saved blackmail documentation telling your team to do this instead of what you specced out and where all the blame will be focused on when, not if, something goes down.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Comradephate posted:

E: second edit:

Recruiter messages have gotten so weird.

Subjects for linkedin messages from the past few days include:

"Are you a fit??"
"PLEASE CALL ME ASAP"
"You may be a match!"

We need a LinkedIn+Tinder collaboration app. Swipe left/right to let the job seekers know!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
If nothing else has confirmed my need to quit, this weekly manual deployment at 5am has. gently caress everything about this, but especially that we're doing a second deployment tomorrow at 5am again because of course we are.

This is what happens when marketing makes ad buys and schedules poo poo without consulting the people actually building the new product being launched. "Oh we can't stop these ads now, but surely you can just work insane hours to make this new deadline in 2 days."

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is what happens when marketing makes ad buys and schedules poo poo without consulting the people actually building the new product being launched. "Oh we can't stop these ads now, but surely you can just work insane hours to make this new deadline in 2 days."

Well naturally, since marketing is a subset of sales, and sales is up there with printers in the grand scheme of evil. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tell them how much money they'll be costing other revenue-generating parts of the business, per minute/hour, an outage would cause through that branch office vs a proper redundant setup.

With their names and fingerprints all over the written and saved blackmail documentation telling your team to do this instead of what you specced out and where all the blame will be focused on when, not if, something goes down.

I won the argument and they built the tunnel

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bad leadership has an infinite capacity to ignore this documentation when poo poo happens.

Do it anyway, but also polish the resume and just apply elsewhere if you don't get resources or adjusted (lowered) uptime expecrations as a result of your business impact analysis. Let c-suites not living in reality hire bad IT staff; get yourself out

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
There's something beautiful about the fact that my last project here (assuming I get the offer Monday) will likely be setting up something I suggested in my first week here, was shot down, and now over a year and a half later the sky is falling and they're begging me to install and configure it immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFqFLo_bYq0

EDIT: gently caress lardo toxic boss glaring at me for packing my poo poo up at 1. I also got the classic, "Oh, leaving really early today?!" from someone. As mentioned in this thread a while back, gently caress that poo poo. No one was around to see how insanely early my day started :argh:. I'm not being lazy, I put in my 8 hours, I'm not being productive anymore and not sacrificing my health for this job.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 24, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There's something beautiful about the fact that my last project here (assuming I get the offer Monday) will likely be setting up something I suggested in my first week here, was shot down, and now over a year and a half later the sky is falling and they're begging me to install and configure it immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFqFLo_bYq0

EDIT: gently caress lardo toxic boss glaring at me for packing my poo poo up at 1. I also got the classic, "Oh, leaving really early today?!" from someone. As mentioned in this thread a while back, gently caress that poo poo. No one was around to see how insanely early my day started :argh:. I'm not being lazy, I put in my 8 hours, I'm not being productive anymore and not sacrificing my health for this job.

This idiocy is a lot of why I roll in at 11. Nobody seems to care that I'm always late, but everyone sure notices that I'm still here at 7. I'm such a hard worker, not like that BaronVonVaderham, leaving at 1pm.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
poo poo that just baffles me: Walked over to the IT printer to see a huge stack of printed paper sitting on it. No one around to claim it, although it doesn't appear to have any sensitive information on it so w/e. I check the completed job history to see that an admin - who used to work in IT as a Project Manager/Administrative Officer but now is in a different department without a color printer - decided to print a 28 page survey then make 42 copies. The job took over an hour and half and used over 1150 sheets of paper. The color was apparently needed for some simple bar graphs.

We have a criminally underused Print Shop on the first floor.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

poo poo that just baffles me: Walked over to the IT printer to see a huge stack of printed paper sitting on it. No one around to claim it, although it doesn't appear to have any sensitive information on it so w/e. I check the completed job history to see that an admin - who used to work in IT as a Project Manager/Administrative Officer but now is in a different department without a color printer - decided to print a 28 page survey then make 42 copies. The job took over an hour and half and used over 1150 sheets of paper. The color was apparently needed for some simple bar graphs.

We have a criminally underused Print Shop on the first floor.
It's fine, when it didn't pop out of the printer near him, he just corrected it and re-sent it to that one.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

VP of Sales & Marketing demands we launch the new, heavily customized e-commerce site the week before our biggest sale of the year. It went as well as you imagine. Everyone in order processing hates me for changing their routine, everyone in customer support hates me for affecting customers, and the president of the company is sending the legal council around to my office to find out why sales are less than expected and why we're getting so much hate mail from our contact us form.

The contractor we hired to get the e-commerce site over the line ignored my direct instructions twice when implementing some custom code related to UPS shipments, resulting in accounting hating me for their reports being wrong. Then he asked me where he could find log files on the server.

I often weep in my car before going in to the office. We sell boutique-grade lotion, and I can hardly imagine a less important thing to care about.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The rookie mistake is caring about your job.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

ratbert90 posted:

The rookie mistake is caring about your job.

Thank christ I live in a weed-legal state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I mean, did you CYA properly? Get the VPs demand in some form of traceable writing? Get the other stuff in writing? email/tickets/letters/meeting minutes/anything?