Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shima Honnou posted:

A storm and rain so strong here in Detroit that the truckyard at work is closed for safety purposes. There's literally 30 semis parked in a line up the service road waiting for this to end and it just keeps kicking up every time it looks to be ending.

there were 3 downed trees and 2 completely submerged roads here on the way home from work, I had to detour twice and in my mind was distinctly and prominently the moment from 2012 where, for a moment of lucid clarity, I decided NOT to step across the downed power line and just to go the long way around the block in a downpour to get home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Another big storm in Michigan. I'd post a picture of radar but the power got knocked out and started a brush fire in one of the vacant fields.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Shima Honnou posted:

Another big storm in Michigan. I'd post a picture of radar but the power got knocked out and started a brush fire in one of the vacant fields.

Is the vacant lot where the radar was?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Had a flash flood warning in New Orleans again today. A friend of mine had her car flood for the third time in two months.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PostNouveau posted:

Had a flash flood warning in New Orleans again today. A friend of mine had her car flood for the third time in two months.

Jesus. I had my car totaled 2 months ago in the Mother's Day weekend floods. Wednesday the 10th I had to move my car and my wife's car to the neutral ground in the middle of 8" of rain or they would have been totaled. Today, on the other hand, wasn't that bad (cars are back on the neutral ground).

We need more pumps.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Jesus. I had my car totaled 2 months ago in the Mother's Day weekend floods. Wednesday the 10th I had to move my car and my wife's car to the neutral ground in the middle of 8" of rain or they would have been totaled. Today, on the other hand, wasn't that bad (cars are back on the neutral ground).

We need more pumps.

Yeah I had to park my car in the middle of the street to save it last week. Got water in my apartment and my landlord did some half-rear end sealing, and that poo poo was leaking today too. Not nearly as bad as last week, just a small amount, but it sucks that it's now something to worry about every time it rains.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

every time you park you car jack into the air 3 ft and put some jack stands underneath just in case, easy peezy

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bulgakov posted:

every time you park you car jack into the air 3 ft and put some jack stands underneath just in case, easy peezy

I was half-considering that the other day but the rear end in a top hat teenagers around here would just knock your car off in the middle of the night.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

e: wrong thread lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Get some wheel ramps, use them every time you park so you can park on top of another car.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twoday posted:

after the rain passed it became so hot that the pavement melted and started leaking into the subway

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1152244458538393601?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtFsIQsFY04

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

my house hasn't had power for about 24 hours now. I've already eaten all the perishables and I've been at a friend's house all day.

DTE still doesn't have an ETA for power coming back on lol this sucks rear end.

hell yea

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The storm itself was essentially a sudden blast of like 70 mile per hour winds which is just under category 1 hurricane force, lmao. News was saying there's over 1000 downed lines, 360,000 people without power, and a bunch of trees were uprooted so suddenly they took sidewalk and pavement up with them.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

that thing went through my back yard at the peak of its strength

VectorSigma posted:

Finally got power back...

Velocity animation. Note the development of the rear inflow jet, and the derecho spearhead:

https://i.imgur.com/txM2iHv.mp4

The last few radar images I managed to save before SHTF, including CC imagery of a debris signature from a bow echo mesovortex tornado:

Damage!!:

https://i.imgur.com/DGUbznw.mp4

These last few were in the path of a confirmed tornado, rated EF0 but those pines snapped in half make me think it could have been EF1 (edit: oh i guess it's officially EF1):

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
death to america!!!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

VectorSigma posted:

what the gently caress, was that tree completely hollowed out before the storm snapped it into half? and still somehow still producing viable leaves

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

what the gently caress, was that tree completely hollowed out before the storm snapped it into half? and still somehow still producing viable leaves

it was full of its love of america but now,,.,,, RIP

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loving this cold front, gonna bring my lows down to 66 and dry. totally normal

SKULL.GIF posted:

pretty normal in humid climates. that tree was due to go at any time, no matter what the leaves said. that thing had two inches of living wood around the perimeter

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VectorSigma posted:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

SKULL.GIF posted:

The only part of the trunk that is alive is right near the bark

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It was 120 this weekend lol

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

a new study bible! posted:

It was 120 this weekend lol

Where at though?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

81 degrees in Houston right now. Absolutely lovely

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I just read that Lloyd's of London, known for insuring high risk poo poo, is dumping clients who live in wildfire prone communities in California. other people are having their rates double. I would recommend against retiring to the urban wilderness interface

meanwhile NIMBY also applies to reality, apparently, as mostly rich communities up and down the California coast are refusing to admit that they might have to retreat as the coastline moves in on them. they're apoplectic over the impact acknowledging reality might have on their home values. I wonder how many of them just want to sell high and get out, and how many have their heads in the sand. rejection of managed retreat isn't going to keep the sea from rising, it's just going to mean an unmanaged retreat later

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

oystertoadfish posted:

rejection of managed retreat isn't going to keep the sea from rising, it's just going to mean an unmanaged retreat later

good

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Shima Honnou posted:

Where at though?

Heat index was 120 in Virginia. I think the actual temperature topped at 106.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

81 degrees in Houston right now. Absolutely lovely

high of 90 in denton today, this morning was downright pleasant in the high 70s

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://mobile.twitter.com/meteociel/status/1153615000084340736

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Bursting does not make me feel good

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I ain't afraid of no sleet.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

How much of this is normal behaviour?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CODChimera posted:

Some vices miss what is right because they are deficient, others because they are excessive, in feelings or in actions, while virtue finds and chooses the mean.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
day 2 of feeling like I am trapped inside this gif:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

CODChimera posted:

with regard to the heat wave itself, 20% of it

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-012-0668-1

quote:

Here we show that, worldwide, the number of local record-breaking monthly temperature extremes is now on average five times larger than expected in a climate with no long-term warming. This implies that on average there is an 80 % chance that a new monthly heat record is due to climatic change.

as for heat bursts themselves, i can't find anything linking them directly to climate change (on the first page of the google search) but they happen after thunderstorms, and those are projected to happen more due to climate change, so i guess that means more heat bursts due to climate change

heat bursts seem to make the news every couple years, so they're not unheard of it seems

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It's the hottest day ever recorded in the history of the country

AGAIN

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I can't wait until the next heatwave beats that record again in like 3 weeks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

twoday posted:

AGAIN

Your ancestors are smiling upon you :)

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

twoday posted:

AGAIN

Eh, we've been breaking heat records multiple times a year like forever, it's normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
number go up uP UP